Western Québec

Fort Abitibi | Fort des Abitibi | Abitibi House | Abbitibbi Post | Allumette Island Post
Baie des Pères Post | Barrière Post | Buckingham Post | Cawassieamica Post | Chats Post
Chats Rapids Post | Coocoocache Post | Fort Coulonge | Désert Post | Fort Du Moine
Dumoine River Posts | Grand Lake Posts | Grand Lake Victoria Post | Hunter's Lodge
Kakabonga Post | Kakandotch Post | Kickendatch Post | Lac des Allumettes Post
Lac des Sables Post | La Loutre Post | La Sarre Post | La Tuque Posts | Manowan Post
Manuan Post | Metchiskun Post | Michiskum Post | Migiskan Post | Nescotia Post
Nescutia Post | Nishkotea Post | Obijuan Post | Oskelaneo Post | Fort La Petite Nation
Portage de la Roche Post | Rat River Posts | Rivière Désert Post | Fort Rivière du Lièvre (1)
Rivière du Lièvre Post (2) | Senneterre Post | Fort Témiscamingue | Fort Timiskaming
Trout Lake Post | Wabijiwoine Post | Weymontachingue Posts | Fort William

Southern Québec - page 1 | Québec City - page 2
Eastern Québec - page 3 | Northern Québec - page 5

THE FUR TRADE IN THE OUTAOUAIS

Last Update: 10/MAY/2010
Compiled by Pete Payette - ©2010 American Forts Network

Fort La Petite-Nation
(unknown dates), near Fassett
A French trading post on the Ottawa River, west of Carillon.

Buckingham Post
(1848/1857 - 1870), Buckingham
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Fort Rivière du Lièvre (1)
(1735 - unknown), near Masson
A French trading post at the Chaudière Falls. Several log huts, but no stockade.

Another French post (name ?) was located nearby in 1730.

Lac des Sables Posts
(1826 - unknown), Lac des Sables
A Hudson's Bay Co. post. Located up the Rivière du Lièvre near Notre-Dame-du-Laus.

An independent British trade post was also located here (date ?).

Portage de la Roche Post
(1800 - unknown), near Mont-Laurier ?
A North West Company post on the Rivière du Lièvre, about half-way between Lac des Sables and Lac Mitchinamécus.

Chats Post
(1816 - 1837), near Quyon
Originally a North West Company post, then becoming a Hudson's Bay Co. post in 1821. Also known as Chats Rapids Post. Relocated several times.

Fort Coulonge
(1680 - 1760), Davidson
A French stockaded trade fort was originally at this location.

A North West Company post was later built on or near the site in 1793, using the same name and many of the same structures. Became a Hudson's Bay Co. post after 1821 (HBC records cover 1827 - 1853). Rebuilt in 1827, in operation until 1855. The HBC operated a farm (Poupore Farm) on the Ontario side of the Ottawa River, at Malloy Bay in Westmeath Township, from 1829 - 1844. One log building from the farm operation still exists, relocated and restored on a private lot on Westmeath Road at Old Mill Bridge Road. The town of Fort-Coulonge was later settled just upriver from the site of the old trading post on the Rivière Coulonge. See also History of the Village of Fort-Coulonge

An XY Company trade post was also nearby in 1803.
(additional info courtesy of Andy Korsos)

Allumette Island Post
(1822 - unknown), Île des Allumettes
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Fort William
(1822 - 1874), Fort William
An independent British trade post was first located here, soon bought out by the Hudson's Bay Co. in 1822 (HBC records begin in 1848). Also known as Lac des Allumettes Post. Original structures still extant include the 1845 Factors House and 1857 Chapel, and also the later period 1880 general store and the 1896 Hotel Pontiac, a restaurant and inn.

Originally a French trading post was located here (date ?).

Fort Du Moine
(1730 - unknown), near Stonecliffe, Ontario
A French fortified trading post located at the mouth of the Rivière Dumoine.

Dumoine River Posts
(1785), near Stonecliffe, Ontario
Two independent British trade posts located at or near the mouth of the Rivière Dumoine.

Désert Post
(1832, 1875), Lac Désert
A Hudson's Bay Co. post. Also known as Rivière Désert Post.

Cawassieamica Post
(1846 - 1849), near Baskatong Reservoir
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Rivière du Lièvre Post (2)
(1844 - unknown),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located on the headwaters of the Rivière du Lièvre, somewhere northeast of Sainte-Anne-du-Lac.

Trout Lake Post
(1823 - 1851),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post. Located southwest of Oskelaneo.

Kakabonga Post
(1851 - 1941), Cabonga Reservoir
A Hudson's Bay Co. post near the west side of the lake, possibly near Lac-Rapide. Renamed or rebuilt as Barrière Post in 1876.

Nescutia Post
(1860 - 1878), Lac Nichcotea
A Hudson's Bay Co. post. Also spelled Nescotia or Nishkotea.

Grand Lake Posts
(1823 - 1941), Grand Lac-Victoria
A Hudson's Bay Co. post. Also known as Grand Lake Victoria Post.

There were also two independent British trade posts located here in 1785.

Hunter's Lodge
(1846 - unknown), Hunter's Point
A Hudson's Bay Co. post. Located east of Lac Kipawa along ZEC Route 814.

Fort Témiscamingue (National Historic Park)
(1668 - 1688, 1720 - 1758), Ville-Marie
This was the main French trading post between the upper Ottawa River and the Hudson Bay. Originally described as a house on a small island with 14 traders. Abandoned due to Indian hostility. Re-established in 1720 with as many as 60 traders. French soldiers were withdrawn in 1758.

The North West Company operated a post nearby in 1776, which then became a Hudson's Bay Co. post in 1822 (also spelled Timiskaming. Rebuilt after 1830, operated until 1905. Only partial remains of stone chimneys are still extant. Visitor centre and museum on site. Admission fee.

Baie des Pères Post
(1891 - 1899), near Notre-Dame-du-Nord
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the northeast shore of Lake Timiskaming.

Fort des Abitibi
(1686 - 1758), Lac Abitibi
Originally a French trading post, said to have been built on a hill near Lake Abitibi in three days by the Chevalier de Troye Expedition. A subpost of Fort Témiscamingue. French troops were withdrawn in 1758, although a few traders possibly remained.

An independent British trade post (aka Fort Abitibi) was located here in 1788.

The Hudson's Bay Co. operated a post here from 1794 - 1921, known as Abitibi House. Located at the mouth of the Rivière La Sarre.

The North West Company operated Abbitibby Post here in 1817.

La Sarre Post
(1932 - 1941), La Sarre
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Senneterre Post
(1932 - 1941), Senneterre
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

La Loutre Post
(1928 - 1930), Lac aux Loutres
A Hudson's Bay Co. post north of Lac Saint-Cyr, east of Lebel-sur-Quévillon.

Migiskan Post
(1829 - 1891), Lac Mégiscane
A Hudson's Bay Co. post. Also spelled Metchiskun or Michiskum.

Wabijiwoine Post
(1826 - unknown), Obedjiwan
An independent British trade post on the north shore of the present Gouin Reservoir.

Obijuan Post
(1826 - unknown, 1923 - 1941), Obedjiwan
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the north shore of the Gouin Reservoir.

Oskelaneo Post
(1927 - 1941), Oskélanéo
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on Lac Oskélanéo.

Kickendatch Post
(1840/1856 - 1911), near Lac Brochu
A Hudson's Bay Co. post at the head of the Rivière Saint-Maurice at the eastern end of the Gouin Reservoir. Also spelled Kakandotch.

Weymontachingue Posts
(1821 - 1939), Wemotaci
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

The North West Company operated a post here in 1806.

An independent British trade post was also here in 1827.

Manowan Post
(1877 - 1941), Lac Manouane ? or Manawan ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post. Also spelled Manuan. Lac Manouane is north of Lac Kempt. The First Nations community of Manawan is south of Lac Kempt.

Coocoocache Post
(1875 - 1913), Coucoucache
A Hudson's Bay Co. post. Located east of Windigo on the Réservoir Blanc.

La Tuque Posts
(1828 - unknown), La Tuque
An independent British trade post and a Hudson's Bay Co. post were both established here the same year.

Rat River Posts
(1826 - unknown), Rivière-aux-Rats
A Hudson's Bay Co. post originally located on the west bank of the river, rebuilt in 1844 on the east bank.

An independent British trade post was here in 1828.


NEED MORE INFO:
Towns:

Southern Québec - page 1 | Québec City - page 2 | Eastern Québec - page 3
Northern Québec - page 5

QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
Updates @ NorthAmericanForts.com

Google