Addison Blockhouse |
Fort Alabama |
Fort Alafia |
Fort Ann |
Fort Annutteeliga |
Fort Armstrong | Fort Barnwell | Fort Bienvenue | Fort Birch | Camp Blodgett | Fort Blount (2)
R. Blount's Fort | Fort Broadnax | Fort Broome | Fort Bulow | Fort Butler | Fort Call (1)
Cape Canaveral Fort | Cape Canaveral Radar Station | Fort Carroll | Fort Chisholm | Fort Christmas
Fort Clinch (3) | Fort Columbia | Fort Comfort | Fort Concord | Fort Cooper (1) | Fort Cooper (2)
Fort Cross (1) | Fort Cummings | Fort Dade (1) | Fort Dade (3) | Camp Darley | Fort Davenport
Fort Dearborn | Fort De Soto (1) | Fort Dozier | Camp Dunlawton | Camp Enterprise | Fort Fanning (1)
Flagler Beach Radar Station | Fort Florida | Forgotten Blockhouse | Fort Foster (1) | Fort Fraser (1)
Fort Fraser (2) | Fort Frazer (1) | Fort Frazer (2) | Camp Galt | Fort Galt | Fort Gardiner | Fort Gardner
Fort Gatlin | Fort Gibson | Camp Gonzalez (1) | Fort Halliman | Post on Hancock Creek | Fort Harney (1)
Camp Hernandez | Camp Hitchapuckanssa | Camp Hitchepuckasassa | Fort Hooker | Fort Kingsbury
Camp at Lakeland | Fort Lane | Fort Lindsay | Fort Lindsey | Fort Lonesome | Camp McCall
Fort McClintock | Fort McClure | Fort McLemore | Fort McNeil | Fort Duncan McRae | Fort Maitland
Fort Mason | Fort Meade | Fort Mellon | Camp Monroe | Fort Moore | Camp Morris | Mosquito Inlet Fort
Camp near New Smyrna | Fort at New Smyrna (1) | Fort New Smyrna (2) | Fort Nichols (2) | Fort Penton
Fort Plentiful | Fort Preston (1) | Fort Reid | Camp Sheldon | Fort Simmons (2) | Fort Smyrna | Fort Socrum
Southern Fort Alafia | Spalding's Upper Store | Spanish Fleet Salvage Camp | Fort Sullivan
Fort Taylor (1) | Fort Taylor (2) | Fort Taylor (4) | Fort Thonotosassa | Fort Tyler | Fort Volusia
Camp Wendell | Fort Williams | Camp Worth
Northeast Coast - page 1 | St. Johns River - page 2
Eastern Florida - page 3 | Middle Florida - page 4
Southern Florida - page 6 | Gulf Coast - page 7
Western Florida - page 8 | Pensacola Bay - page 9
FLORIDA'S COASTAL MARITIME TRAIL - FORTS
FLORIDA'S PHOTOGRAPHIC ARCHIVES
OLD FLORIDA MAPS
SPANISH FLORIDA 1513-1763
Flagler Beach Radar Station
(1942 - 1945), Flagler Beach
A WWII anti-aircraft spotting station and an SCR-270 early warning radar was located here. Exact location undetermined.
(Bulow Plantation Ruins State Historic Site)
(1835 - 1836), Bulowville
John Bulow's home (built in 1821 by father Charles) was fortified with cotton bales, and a small fort was later built by troops in front of the house. Bulow protested at first the presence of the troops on his property. Abandoned after three weeks, it was later burned and destroyed by Seminoles (January 1836). See also Plantation Ruins from Volusia County Heritage
Addison Blockhouse (State Historic Site)
(1836), near National Gardens
A coquina structure originally built as a plantation kitchen in 1807. Converted to a settlers' blockhouse in 1835, it was burned by Seminole Indians in January 1836. In March 1836 SC troops arrived and built a moated and palisaded eight-point star-shaped earthwork around the ruins, renamed Fort Duncan McRae after the then plantation owner. Used for about one month, during which it was attacked again. Located about two miles southwest (by road) from Tomoka State Park. (NOTE: site is currently not open to the public due to ongoing preservation work.) See also Plantation Ruins from Volusia County Heritage
Fort Williams or
(1860's), Port Orange
A Civil War post.
(NOTE: not to be confused with Fort William at St. Marks)
Mosquito Inlet Fort
(1862), near Ponce Inlet
A Confederate earthwork at the old inlet near the mouth of Spruce Creek. The inlet has shifted south since that time.
Fort at New Smyrna (1)
(Old Fort Park)
(1768 - 1777), New Smyrna Beach *PHOTO*
The old settlement was originally located closer to present-day Edgewater. The British, Minorcan, Greek, and Italian settlers, led by founder Andrew Turnbull, were driven out by tropical diseases during the American Revolution. They were relocated to St. Augustine. The settlement was not resumed until 1803, slightly north of the old site. The stone/coquina ruins in Old Fort Park are currently thought to be the house foundations from the colony, not any type of military fortification. They were restored and misinterpreted in the 1930's by the W.P.A.. A fort was proposed to be built here, and may have been, but these ruins are not it. See also History of New Smyrna from the Foundation for the New Smyrna Museum of History.
Cape Canaveral Fort
(1565), Cape Canaveral
A crude French sand and log fort built by the 70-80 survivors of Jean Ribault's flagship Trinité, made from the timbers of their ship (with six salvaged guns) after they were blown ashore during an attack on St. Augustine. Ribault and others had already headed north when they were intercepted at Matanzas Inlet and massacred by the Spanish. Spanish troops caught up with the others one month later and transported them to Cuba. The fort was then destroyed. Exact location unknown.
Cape Canaveral Radar Station
(1942 - 1945), Cape Canaveral
A WWII anti-aircraft spotting station and an SCR-270 early warning radar was located here. Exact location undetermined.
Spanish Fleet Survivors and Salvors Camp
(Sebastian Inlet State Park)
(1715), Sebastian Inlet
A Spanish treasure fleet was sunk offshore during a July 1715 hurricane, with 1500 survivors making a temporary camp here. The Spanish then established a large salvage operation here, with a series of storehouses and defensive works for the recovery of gold and silver coinage. The McLarty Treasure Museum, part of the state park, interprets the history and displays numerous artifacts.
Spalding's Upper Store
(1763 - 1784 ?), Astor
A British trading post/store built by James Spalding and Roger Kelsell. Managed by trader Job Wiggens. Attacked by Indians and destroyed in 1774. Re-established in 1776 by William Panton of the Panton, Leslie, and Company outfit headquartered in Pensacola. John Forbes took over the PLC operation around 1800. History of the Town of Astor
(1838 - 1839, 1842 ?, 1861 - 1864), Astor
A log stockade with barracks, located on the St. Johns River opposite Volusia, probably on the site of Spalding's Store. Used again by the Union as a campsite during the Civil War. Captured by the Confederates in May 1864.
Mission de San Salvador de Mayaca
(1590's, 1650's ?), near Volusia
A Spanish Franciscan mission located at a Mayaca Indian town, somewhere south of Lake George in Volusia County. It was not known to be fortified. It was only in operation intermittently as it was deemed too far from St. Augustine at the time.
* Listed here for historical interest only. *
Fort Cooper (1)
(1836, 1861 - 1864), near Inverness *PHOTOS*
A temporary Army fort to defend a camp for the sick and destitute during General Winfield Scott's campaign. It was a square stockade with a two-story blockhouse. Attacked by Seminoles in April 1836. Site later used by the Confederates in the Civil War. Captured by the Union in February 1864. Located on Fort Cooper (Holathlikaha) Lake.
(Dade's Battlefield Historic State Park)
(1836 - 1837), near Bushnell *PHOTOS*
Built on the site of "Dade's Battleground", south of town, where one year earlier Federal troops were ambushed in December 1835, starting the Second Seminole War. According to local lore, in the supplies of the fallen troops were Cuban oranges. The seeds took root and thus started Florida's orange crop industry in 1846.
(1690's), Osceola County (?)
Spanish Franciscan missions were established in three Jororo Indian towns in 1692 or later, but they did not last very long. Mission de San José de Jororo (1) was probably at the main town. It was relocated to St. Augustine in 1717. Another was at Atissimi, which was attacked by the local Indians in 1696. The missions were not known to be fortified.
* Listed here for historical interest only. *
(Lake Kissimmee State Park)
(1837 - 1842 ?), near Tiote
An Army post on the Kissimmee River above Lake Kissimmee, built by Col. Zachary Taylor. Misspelled in many sources (including official) as Gardner.
(1849 - 1854, 1857, 1861 - 1864), Fort Meade
An Army post that was rebuilt in 1850 one mile away from the original site. Settlers had been attacked here in June 1856, prompting a brief regarrison of the post. The Confederates later occupied the fort in 1861 - 1864, but it was burned down by Union troops. The ruined post was finally demolished in 1890. Site is at Heritage Park on NE 3rd Street. History of the City of Fort Meade
(some info by David Paterno)
(1920's), Fort Lonesome
Not a fort. A one-time state agricultural research station in a lonely part of the countryside once known as Boogerman's Corner, at the junction of FL 39 and FL 674 in the southeast corner of Hillsborough County.
(info by David Paterno)
Camp at Lakeland
A Spanish-American War assembly camp.
Fort Foster (1)
(Hillsborough River State Park)
(1836 - 1838, 1849), near Glennell
Originally known as Fort Alabama. It was a stockaded supply post on the river crossing to Fort King. It was attacked by 300 Seminoles in April 1836, but they were repulsed. The fort was then stripped and abandoned by the troops. A booby-trapped powder keg was heard to explode after the troops had left. It was rebuilt eight months later, with two blockhouses and a storehouse, and renamed. It was attacked several times. A replica of the second fort is located in the state park.
Seminole Wars Forts
(includes those forts and posts not already listed above)
Tour of Florida Territory During the Seminole Wars by Chris Kimball
Fort Bienvenue (1850), near Keysville, four miles west of the present Polk County line, probably on the South Prong Alafia River. Also known as Southern Fort Alafia. Located one mile from Fort Alafia.
Fort Alafia (1849 - 1850), near Keysville, four miles west of the present Polk County line, probably on the North Prong Alafia River. Moved one mile west in May 1850, closer to the Alafia River, before it was abandoned in October 1850.
Camp Galt (1857), near Bloomingdale at the Alafia River crossing ("Alafia Bridge") at FL 640. Also known as Fort Galt.
Fort Simmons (2) (1841 - 1842), Dover.
Fort Moore (unknown dates), a blockhouse located on the north shore of Moore Lake, north of Dover.
Camp Hitchapuckanssa (1839), east of Knights (Gower's Corner) on the west bank of the East Canal branch of Itchepackesassa Creek. Also possibly known as Camp Gonzalez (1). Renamed Fort Sullivan before it was abandoned. Also spelled Hitchepuckasassa, and other variations.
Fort Thonotosassa (unknown dates), a blockhouse located on the west bank of Lake Thonotosassa, east of Thonotosassa. Site now a residential development.
Camp McCall (1842), near Tampa (undetermined location). Located "one day's march" from Fort Brooke (1).
Fort Fraser (1) (1837 - 1838), on the old "Fort King Road" north of Tampa (location ?). Also spelled Frazer (1).
Fort Cooper (2) (1841), somewhere on the old "Fort Dade Road" (location ?). (Apparently not the same post as Fort Cooper (1)).
Fort Broome (1856), Tuckertown, two miles southeast of Dade City.
Fort Chisholm (1836), three miles east of the old "Fort King Road" crossing of the Tatsala (Withlacoochee ?) River. Near Lacoochee ?
Fort Dade (1) (1837 - 1838), near Talisman, on the south (west) bank of the Withlacoochee River just south of the county line. Also known as Camp Dade. Burned by Seminoles in 1838, later rebuilt downriver just north of the present-day county line on the west side of US 301 / FL 35. State marker
Fort Dade (3) (1849, 1856), Dade City, near the south-end of South 14th Street (Tara Woods), near the Dade City Community Hospital. Used by settlers in 1856. See also Christmas Day 1835 state marker located at the Pasco High School.
Fort Socrum (1856), Socrum. A settlers' fort.
Fort Gibson (1850), near Lake Gibson (Gibsonia ?). A settlers' fort.
Fort Cummings (1839 - 1841), Lynchburg, on the northwest shore of Lake Mariana, on the north side of Pierce Street and the railroad.
Fort Nichols (2) (1850), two miles south of Nichols.
Fort Fraser (2) (1837 - 1838), near Bartow, on the east bank of the Peace River near Peace Creek. Also spelled Frazer (2).
Fort Carroll (1841), east of the Peace River, three miles northeast of Bartow on Peace Creek near the present Conshal phosphate mine operation. Abandoned for Fort Cummings due to poor health conditions.
Fort Blount (2) (1856), Bartow. A settlers' blockhouse, also known as Riley Blount's Fort. Site located at Church Street and Floral Ave.. The town's name was originally Pease Creek until 1867.
Fort Hooker (1850 - 1856), on the Peace River 16 miles from Fort Meade (location ?).
Fort Clinch (3) (1850), Frostproof. Located on the east side of Keen's Cove on the northern shore of Lake Clinch (aka Locha Popka Lake). A stockade with six or seven buildings.
Fort Arbuckle (1850), northeast shore of Lake Arbuckle, 12 miles east of Fort Clinch (3).
Fort McClintock (date 2nd SW), on or near Lake McClintock, six miles southwest of Lake Tohopekaliga, on the military road from Fort Maitland to Fort Brooke (1).
Fort Dozier (1856), unknown location. A settlers' fort.
Fort Davenport (1839), west of Intercession City near Reedy Creek, two miles northeast of Loughman, on the south side of Davenport Creek.
Camp Morris (1849), near Kissimmee, on the north shore of Lake Tohopekaliga.
Fort Taylor (1) (1837), north of Wolf Creek, one mile west of Lake Winder (St. Johns River).
Camp Hernandez (1836), near Turnbull, seven miles north of Titusville in the Turnbull Hammock.
Fort Ann (1837 - 1838), near Allenhurst on Merritt Island. A temporary garrison and supply depot, with two bastions at opposite corners. It protected the narrow portage between the Indian River and the Mosquito Lagoon. It was later abandoned. The site of the later-built "Haul Over" Canal was used as a Union campsite during the Civil War. (additional info by David Paterno) FORT WIKI
Fort Taylor (2) (unknown dates), Merritt Island, located south of Fort Ann, east of Titusville.
Fort Harney (1) (1837), near Heath on Merritt Island, near the present-day NASA Shuttle Landing Field.
Fort Kingsbury (1837 - 1840 ?), near Enterprise, on the northeast shore of Lake Monroe on an old Indian mound (no remains). Possibly located at the junction of Stone Island Road and Sunset Road. FORT WIKI
Camp Enterprise (1857), possibly located at Enterprise (?).
Fort Florida (1836), Fort Florida, a military depot on the St. Johns River, two miles southwest of DeBary on Fort Florida Road.
Fort Birch (1839), near Alamana, on the west side of Lake Ashby, on the east side of the military road to Fort Mellon.
Fort New Smyrna (2) (1835, 1838, 1852 - 1853), New Smyrna Beach near Lytle Ave.. Also known as Fort Smyrna and Camp near New Smyrna.
Camp Sheldon (1852), located about ten miles (location ?) from (Old) New Smyrna (Edgewater).
Camp Dunlawton (1836), Port Orange. A temporary FL militia camp at the Anderson or Dunlawton Plantation, one mile west of town, burned by Seminole Indians after it was attacked and abandoned in January 1836. The Dunlawton Plantation Sugar Mill Ruins (built 1830, rebuilt 1846) are open to the public.
Camp Darley (1836), at Darley's Plantation, near Ormond (?). Destroyed by Seminole Indians, the FL militia troops transferred after only a few days to Fort Bulow (November 1836).
Fort Barnwell (1836), Volusia. Also known as Fort Columbia. A stockade built by SC troops one month after Fort Volusia.
Fort Call (1) (1836 - 1838), Volusia. Built by Army Regulars nine months after Fort Barnwell was built. A Methodist church was built on the site in 1845.
Fort Volusia (1836 - 1857, intermittent), Volusia. Built by SC troops on a large shell mound, the fort was abandoned and reoccupied several times.
Fort Preston (1) (unknown dates), at Spring Garden Lake, near De Leon Springs. A settlers' blockhouse.
Fort McNeil (1837), on the north bank of the Chickasawhatchie River (Taylor Creek), four miles from its mouth on the St. John's River, near Lake Poinsett. On FL 532 north of the Taylor Creek Bridge. A stockade with two blockhouses in opposite corners. FORT WIKI
Fort Christmas (1837 - 1838), two and one-half miles north of Christmas, at what was once known as Powell's Town. An 80 square-foot stockade with two 20 square-foot blockhouses in opposite corners. Abandoned and burned down after the war. Reconstructed in 1977 about one mile south from original site, with a museum and living history events. FORT WIKI
Fort Maitland (1838 - 1842), Maitland. On the west shore of Lake Maitland. State road marker is at South Orlando Ave. and Lake Lily Drive. History of the City of Maitland || FORT WIKI
Fort Gatlin (1837, 1838 - 1839, 1849), near Conway, on the northwest shore of Little Lake Conway. A granite marker (1924) is located on Gatlin Ave.. A state road marker was erected in 2003 at Gatlin Ave. and South Summerlin Ave.. The city of Orlando later grew from the original settlement here. FORT WIKI
Fort Lane (1837 - 1838), two miles east of Geneva on Lake Harney. (website courtesy of Mal Martin, Geneva Historical Society) FORT WIKI
Fort Dearborn (1837), on Lake Harney. Possibly an early name for Fort Lane.
Fort Mellon (1836 - 1842), Sanford. Originally named Camp Monroe. Renamed Fort Fanning (1). Attacked by Seminoles in February 1837. Renamed again, then abandoned in June 1837 and afterwards burned by Seminoles. Rebuilt in November 1837 as a supply depot, with several warehouses and blockhouses. Site located on the shore of Lake Monroe, now Mellonville Ave. and Second Street. Sanford was originally called Mellonville. History of the City of Sanford || FORT WIKI
Fort Reid (1840 - 1842, 1849), near Sanford on Lake Monroe. Used as a settlers' fort between Army garrisons. Marker at Speer Grove Park. FORT WIKI
Fort Comfort (1835), on the north side of Lake Concord. A settlers' blockhouse, later renamed Fort Concord.
Fort Mason (1837), Fort Mason, north of Eustis on Lake Eustis.
Fort Penton (1856), located in the southeast area of the county.
Fort McClure (1839, 1842), southeast of Coleman on the east bank of Shady Brook in Warm Springs Hammock. Originally known as Camp Wendell in 1839.
Fort Cross (1) (1838 - 1842), east of Brooksville. Located 19 miles northwest of Fort Dade (1), and 21 miles southwest of Fort Armstrong.
Fort Plentiful (1844), located between Brooksville and Warm Springs.
Fort Taylor (4) (1857 ?), six miles south of Brooksville.
Fort Tyler (unknown dates), unknown location. (May be a misspelling of Fort Taylor (4))
Fort De Soto (1) (1840's), Brooksville. Built before settlement started in 1845, it later became a trading post. The town was previously known as Pierceville until 1871.
Fort Annutteeliga (1840 - 1841), north of Brooksville, within the Annutteliga Hammock. A blockhouse built for the local settlers' protection.
Fort Lindsay (1836), northeast of Brooksville on or near the Withlacoochee River. Also spelled Lindsey.
Fort Broadnax (1836), south of Floral City.
Camp Worth (1841), near Fort Cooper (1).
Fort McLemore (1836), three miles north of Citronelle on the Withlacoochee River. A FL militia stockaded blockhouse, renamed Fort Halliman (aka The Forgotten Blockhouse) after it was attacked and besieged by Seminoles for 30 days in April/May 1836.
Camp Blodgett (1836), near Citrus Springs.
NEED MORE INFO: Post on Hancock Creek (1849) undetermined location (Lake or Polk Counties ?).Northeast Coast - page 1 | St. Johns River - page 2 | Eastern Florida - page 3
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
Updates @ NorthAmericanForts.com