Southern Indiana

Aikman's Fort | Fort Alexander | Angel Mounds | Fort Archer | Armstrong's Station
Camp Baker | Ballow Fort | Beck's Fort | Bigger's Post | Camp Bloomington
Blue River Camp | Fort Branch | Camp Bright | Brock's Fort | Brook's Post | Fort Bruce
Buchanan's Station | Burcham's Blockhouse | Fort Busseron | Camp Butler | Fort Butler
Catlin's Fort | Fort Chambers | Fort Clark | Camp Cochran | Fort Coleman | Coleman's Fort
Collings' Fort | Camp Columbus | Fort Conner (2) | Conner's Fort (2) | J. Conner's Post (1)
J. Conner's Post (2) | Camp Cruft | Fort Defiance | Deputy Blockhouse | Deshee River Fort
Dewalt's Fort | Camp Elkins | Camp Emerson | Emison Blockhouse | Fort Farris
Finley's Fort | Fort Finney | Fleener's Fort | Flinn's Fort | Flinn-Guthrie Fort | Fort Flora
Flora's Fort | French Lick Camp | French Lick Post | Camp Gavitt | Camp Gibson | Fort Gibson
Camp Gilbert | Camp Graham | Graham's Fort | Camp Gray | Fort Haddan | Camp Hanover
Harbert's Fort | Harrington's Stockade | Fort Hattabaugh | Hawkins' Fort | Camp Heffren
Fort Patrick Henry | Camp Holt (1) | Fort Hopkins | Hough's Fort | Huff's Fort
Hutchinson's Fort | Jeffersonville Depot | Camp Johnson | Fort Jones | Ketcham's Fort
Camp Knox | Fort Knox | Camp Lawrence | Fort Letts | Lettsville BH | Camp Lewis
Lick Fort | Lick Creek BH | Camp Logan (2) | Logan's Fort | Lost River Fort | McClure's Fort
Fort McDonald | McGuire's Fort | McKnight's Fort (a) | McKnight's Fort (b) | Madison Fort
Maxwell's Fort | Montgomery's Fort | Moore's Fort | Camp Morris (1) | Camp Mt. Vernon
Camp L. Noble (1) | Fort Ouabache | Poste Ouabache | Fort Palmer | Palmer's Fort | Paoli Fort
Petticoat Fort | Fort Polk | Port Williams Fort | Fort Purcell | Purcell's Fort
Camp Reynolds (1) | Ristine's Blockhouse | Robb's Fort | Rose's Fort | Camp Ross (2)
Fort Sackville | Poste St. Francis Xavier | Sage's Fort | Salt Stockade | Camp Scott
Camp Sherman | Shields' Blockhouse | Shields' Trade Post | Silver Creek Fort
Sinking Spring Fort | Spring Mill Post | Springville Fort | Camp Steuben | Fort Steuben
Stockade Fort (2) | Fort Taylor | Tulley's Post | Valeene Fort | Fort Vallonia
Camp Vanderburgh | Vienna Fort | Fort de Vincennes | Poste de Vincennes | Fort Wabash (1)
Fort Wabash (2) | Camp Wallace | Washington County Forts | White Oak Springs Fort
White River Stockade | Widner's Fort | Young's Fort

Northern Indiana - page 1

Last Update: 28/SEPTEMBER/2011
Compiled by Pete Payette - 2011 American Forts Network

Fort Knox
(Vincennes State Historic Sites)
(1787 - 1816), Vincennes
A Federal stockade fort with blockhouses at the four corners, originally located on the north side of present-day Buntin Street. The post was relocated in 1803 to an 83-acre site three miles north of town, consisting initially of only a blockhouse and barracks. A picketed stockade with bastions was added in 1810. This second site has been excavated and marked by the Indiana Historical Society / Indiana State Museum. Dismantled in 1813, the post was moved back to town and rebuilt as a simple stockade at the site of Fort Sackville. It was later abandoned and all stores were sent to Fort (W.H.) Harrison in Terre Haute. See also Indiana's City of Living History from Spirit of Vincennes, Inc.. Of interest in town is the Indiana Military Museum (admission fee), located at 2074 North Old Bruceville Road.
(additional info provided by Stanley Schmitt)

Fort Sackville
(George Rodgers Clark National Historical Park)
(1766 - 1783 ?), Vincennes
A French trading post was first located in the vicinity in 1683. The French built a fort in 1705 (rebuilt 1724), known as Poste St. Francis Xavier, after the first mission built here in 1702. The exact location of this post is undetermined. The French later built Fort de Vincennes (aka Poste de Vincennes) (1732 - 1760), originally named Poste (Fort) Ouabache (Fort Wabash (1)) until 1736. The British took possession of the dilapidated fort in 1760 but they decided not to formally occupy it until 1766. It was rebuilt in 1777. American Patriot frontiersmen held it for a month in 1778. The fort was captured again by the Virginia state militia under George Rogers Clark in February 1779 and renamed Fort Patrick Henry. Vincennes was the state's first permanent white settlement. Of interest in town at 1st and Seminary Streets is the Old French House (1806) (admission fee).

Deshee River Fort
(1810's), near Purcell
An unnamed settlers' fort (?) on the north bank of the Deshee River, along the old "Bank's Trace".

Purcell's Fort
(1812 - unknown), near Fritchton
A settlers' fort, also referred to as Fort Purcell.

Rose's Fort
(1810's), near Wheatland
A settlers' fort.

Fort Bruce
(1811 - unknown), Bruceville
A settlers' fort.

Emison Blockhouse
(1810's), Emison
A settlers' fort protecting a mill. Nicknamed Petticoat Fort because the women had to garrison the fort while the men served in the militia.

McClure's Fort
(1810's), near Busseron
A settlers' fort.

Fort Busseron
(1812 - 1815 ?), Busseron Township
A Territorial Militia fort and blockhouse located near the mouth of Old Busseron Creek on the Wabash River. It was a rendezvous point for both General Hopkins and Colonel William Russell in the fall campaigns of 1812. Russell used the fort as a starting point to attack the Indian villages in the Illinois territory. Hopkins sent his first expedition back here and discharged them back to Kentucky after a mutinous act by the mounted soldiers.
(thanks to Rich Ferguson for providing info)

Widner's Fort
(1810's), near Freelandville
A settlers' fort located northeast of McClure's Fort, on the west bank of Maria Creek.

Fort Polk
(1810's), near Freelandville
A settlers' fort located east of Widner's Fort, on the east bank of Maria Creek.

Fort Chambers
(1810's), near Freelandville
A settlers' fort located east of Widner's Fort, on the east bank of Maria Creek.

Fort Taylor
(1810's), near Freelandville
A settlers' fort located east of Widner's Fort, on the east bank of Maria Creek.

Fort Haddan
(1810's), near Freelandville
A settlers' fort.

John Aikman's Fort
(1813 - unknown), near Washington
A settlers' blockhouse located south of town.

Ballow Fort
(1812 - unknown), Daviess County
A settlers' fort.

Palmer's Fort
(1813 - unknown), near Plainville
A settlers' fort, also referred to as Fort Palmer.

Hawkins' Fort
(1810's), near Plainville
A settlers' fort south of Palmer's Fort and west of Fort Letts.

Lettsville Blockhouse
(1811 - unknown), Lettsville
A settlers' fort located on Prairie Creek. Also referred to as Fort Letts.

David Flora's Fort
(1813 - unknown), Washington
A settlers' fort, also referred to as Fort Flora. Located at present-day Main and East Second Streets.

Fort Jones
(1813 - unknown), near Washington
A settlers' fort located one mile south of town.

Coleman's Fort
(1812 - unknown), near Conner
A settlers' fort south of town. Also referred to as Fort Coleman.

Conner's Fort (2)
(1812 - unknown), Conner
A settlers' fort, also referred to as Fort Conner (2).

White Oak Springs Fort
(1787 ?, 1806 ?), near Petersburg
A settlers' blockhouse built by Woolsey (or Samuel ?) Pride and Hosea Smith on the old "Buffalo Trace". This was the first white settlement of the county. Attacked by Indians in 1813. The Northwest Rangers had a fortified camp here or nearby after 1811. The blockhouse still existed after 1915.

David Robb's Fort
(1810 - unknown), near Hazelton
A settlers' blockhouse.

Fort Archer
(1807 - unknown), near Princeton
A settlers' fort northwest of town.

Fort Hopkins
(1810 - unknown), near Princeton
A settlers' fort located near the old Archer Cemetery northwest of town.

William Harrington's Stockade
(1810 - unknown), near Princeton
A settlers' stockaded house located one and one-half mile west of town.

Fort Gibson
(1810's), near Francisco
A settlers' fort. Located between Fort Branch and Francisco.

Thomas Montgomery's Fort
(1811 - unknown), near Owensville
A settlers' stockaded fort located south of town.

Fort Branch
(1811 - unknown), Fort Branch
A settlers' stockaded fort with two two-story blockhouses, located across Pigeon Creek.

Fort Wabash (2)
(1750 - unknown, 1790 - unknown), near Hovey
A French stockaded fort located at the mouth of the Wabash River on the Ohio River. Later known as the Salt Stockade (1790) by local settlers.

Angel Mounds (State Historic Site)
(1100 - 1450), near Evansville
A Middle Mississippian Culture palisaded temple/city mound complex, originally on an island in the Ohio River about seven miles east of town. The outer palisade had bastions or towers spaced about every 100 feet, enclosing 11 mounds. A reconstructed section of the town is located in the state park, located at 8215 Pollack Ave.. Admission fee.

Stockade Fort (2)
(1810's), near Selvin
An unnamed local militia or settlers' fort located on the old "Yellow Banks Trace". It covered one acre and provided protection for 50 people.

Fort Farris
(1800's), near Portersville
A settlers' fortified log cabin or blockhouse, located southwest of town.

Fort McDonald
(1801 - unknown), near Portersville
A settlers' fortified log cabin or blockhouse on Mud Hole Creek, a branch of Mill Creek, about two miles southeast of town, just north of the "Mud Holes". First settled by the McDonald family, brothers John and William, traditionaly the first white settlers of the county. The fort was large enough for several families to take refuge. The cabin was also used as the first courthouse of Dubois County in 1817-18. A stone marker (1919) is at the site on the east side of the old Sherritt Cemetery.

Fort Butler
(1800's), near Haysville
A settlers' fortified log cabin or blockhouse, located on the old "Buffalo Trace".

French Lick Camp
(1810 - 1815), near Cuzco
A fortified camp manned by the Northwest Rangers. Located at the junction of the old "Buffalo Trace" and the "Cincinnati Trace", at or near Milburn's Springs.

Brook's Trading Post
(1818), near Pleasant Valley
Located on the south (east) bank of the White River at Hindostan Falls.

Port Williams Fort
(1810's ?), near Williams
An unnamed settlers' fort was supposedly located here well before Isaac Williams settled here in 1818, according to local tradition. Site located on the south bank of the East Fork White River at the three-story, 21-room Red Brick General Store (built by son Richard, born 1806), about one-half mile west of the Port Williams Church (1850), which itself is about three miles from town, south of the Williams Covered Bridge.

Bigger's Trading Post
(unknown), near Bloomington
Located west of the city on the old "Bigger's Trace" west of Clear Creek.

Flinn's Fort
(1810 - unknown), Leesville
A settlers' fort built by William and Jacob Flinn and Daniel Guthrie. Also referred to as the Flinn - Guthrie Fort. Attacked by Indians in the spring of 1813.
See also Story of the 1813 attack transcribed by Diana Flynn

Col. Samuel Burcham's Blockhouse
(1813 ?), near Medora ?
A settlers' cabin, probably built in 1813. Undetermined location on the west side of the East Fork White River.

White River Stockade
(1811), Fort Ritner
An unnamed temporary militia stockade protecting a supply camp.
(NOTE: No fort seems to have ever existed by the name of "Fort Ritner". The town was founded and named as such by Michael Ritner in 1856.)

Spring Mill Trading Post
(1815), near Lawrenceport

Fort Vallonia
(1811 - 1815), Vallonia
Originalloy a settlers' blockhouse. The entire town was stockaded after an Indian attack in late 1812. The Northwest Rangers were garrisoned here in 1813. The stockade was reconstructed in the 1970's, and a monument and museum are on Main Street.

Graham's Fort
(1810's), near Vallonia ?
A settlers' fort. Undetermined location.

Fort Alexander
(1812 - unknown), near Vallonia
A settlers' fort or blockhouse located south of Fort Vallonia.

Fort Defiance
(1812 - unknown), near Brownstown
A settlers' fort located between Fort Vallonia and Ketcham's Fort.

James Hutchinson's Fort
(1809 (?) or 1811 - unknown), near Brownstown
A settlers' blockhouse located two miles southwest of town, south of Ketcham's Fort. Sources differ on date of origin, but more probably 1811.

John Ketcham's Fort
(1811 - unknown), Ewing
A settlers' fortified log cabin or blockhouse, but not stockaded. Site located about 800 feet down the railroad line from the Marion-Kay Spice Company.

Abraham Huff's Fort
(1811 - unknown), near Brownstown
A settlers' blockhouse located along the East Fork White River northeast of Vallonia, near Ketcham's Fort.

Hough's Fort
(1811 - unknown), near Brownstown
A settlers' log blockhouse enclosed by a one-acre parallelogram stockade, located on Hough Creek. An 1886 Jackson County history claims this was the only true "fort" built in present-day Brownstown Township. Possibly the same as Huff's Fort.

John Sage's Fort
(1811 - unknown), near Brownstown ?
A settlers' blockhouse located somewhere near Fort Vallonia.

(James ?) Shields' Trading Post
(1805), Seymour

James Shields' Blockhouse
(1816 - unknown), Seymour
A settlers' log blockhouse. Historic marker located in the city cemetery at 9th and Ewing Streets. Shields, originally from Sevier County, Tennessee, received a 1200-acre land grant in 1820. The town was later founded by his son Meedy on this land.

Joseph Maxwell's Fort
(1811 - unknown), near Orleans
A settlers' fort or blockhouse on the Lost River southeast of town.

Lost River Fort
(1810's), near Orleans
An unnamed settlers' blockhouse. Possibly the same as Maxwell's Fort.

Moore's Fort
(1810 ? - unknown), Orange County
A settlers' log blockhouse near Stampers Creek (location ?). It was defended by a fraised moat.

French Lick Trading Post
(1800's), French Lick
May have been manned by the Northwest Rangers after 1811.

Paoli Fort
(prehistoric), Paoli
A line of two earthwork embankments built by the ancient Mound Builders, about three feet high and 12-30 feet apart and about 1300 feet long, forming a large half-oval along the south bank of Lick Creek one mile east of town. In an 1875 report there were 12 small mounds within the enclosure. None exist today.

Valeene Fort
(prehistoric), Valeene
An oval-shaped earth embankment along Patoka Creek once existed about one-half mile east of town, built by the ancient Mound Builders. No remains.

Blue River Camp
(1810's), near Fredericksburg
A fortified camp of the Northwest Rangers located southwest of town just across the present-day Harrison County line, on the west bank of the Blue River, at the crossing of the old "Buffalo Trace".

Washington County Settler Forts
(1810's), various locations
Samuel Catlin's Fort, three miles north of Fredericksburg.
John Beck's Fort, Becks Mill. Two stockaded enclosures were here, the house (1808) and probably the gristmill (1809). The present mill (1864) was restored in 2008. Friends of Beck's Mill
George Brock's (Sr. or Jr. ?) Fort, unknown location (Washington Township).
James Young's Fort, unknown location (Washington Township).
(Col. Henry ?) Dewalt's Fort, unknown location (possibly in Section 14, Washington Township (1809)).
Sinking Spring Fort, Madison Township, near Hardinsburg. Provided safe haven for a dozen families in 1812.
McKnight's Fort (a), seven miles west or south of Salem.
Lick Fort, at "Royce's Lick" near Salem (Section 15, Township Two North, Range Four East).
Lick Creek Blockhouse (1811), at Half Moon Spring (location ?). Possibly the same as above.
McKnight's Fort (b) (1812), Franklin Township, near New Philadelphia ?.
Finley's Fort (1812), seven miles north or east of Salem.
William Logan's Fort, Monroe Township near Kossuth.
Fort Hattabaugh, Monroe Township near Plattsburg. A stockaded row of log cabins with a blockhouse at each end. Built on George Hattabaugh's land (1810).
Fleener's Fort, unknown location.

Other unnamed settler forts were located at: one three miles southwest of Salem; one in Salem; one near the Quaker Meeting House (location ?); one in Harristown; one in Livonia (Madison Township); and one in the northwest part of Franklin Township in Township Section Seven (Hensley 1809 ?). Some of these may be named above.

Fort Steuben
(1786 - 1797), Jeffersonville
Relocated from Fort Finney in Ohio, located at what would later become the lower end of town. Originally named Fort Finney until renamed in 1787. It was a small square-shaped timber and earthen work with blockhouses at the southern corners, a guardhouse/bastion in the center of the northern wall, barracks forming part of the walls, and a deep trench ("covered way") leading to the river. Garrisoned by territorial militia from 1791 - 1793. Garrisoned by Federal troops until finally abandoned in 1797.
(additional info provided by Stanley Schmitt)

Jeffersonville Quartermaster Depot
(U.S. Census Bureau - National Processing Center)
(1864 - 1957), Jeffersonville
An Army Quartermaster Corps Depot originally built for the procurement, inspection, storage and issue of vehicles, horse harnesses, heating stoves, army ranges, and miscellaneous hardware and stationery. A garment factory was also built. The Quadrangle Post was built between 1871 - 1874 at Vernon Place. The post was greatly expanded during WWI with about 280 new buildings. The garment factory closed in 1922. The depot was closed in 1957. Part of the post became a U.S. Census Bureau facility in 1958, later enlarged in the 1960's to 75 acres. The Quadrangle was sold in 1985 and became a shopping center. A portion was destroyed in a 1993 fire. The city bought the original 17-acre Quadrangle complex in 2001 for redevelopment. The Jeffersonville City Hall was moved into one of the buildings in 2006. Photos and info from The Society of the Military Horse
See also Indiana African-American Heritage Trail

Fort Clark
(1810's), Clarksville
A settlers' stockaded fort for the town defense.

Springville Fort
(1810's), Springville
A settlers' fort near Charlestown.

Tulley's Trading Post
(1800's), Springville
Located at old Tulleytown.

Col. John Armstrong's Station
(1786 - unknown), near Owen
A settlers' blockhouse located at the mouth of Bull Creek, about 18 miles above Louisville, KY, to prevent Indians from crossing the Ohio River at this point.

Silver Creek Fort
(1810's), near Henryville (?)
A settlers' fort. Possibly the same as Collings' Fort.

Zebulon Collings' Fort
(1812 - unknown), near Henryville
A settlers' fort located on Silver Creek, about five miles south of the Pigeon Roost settlement.

Vienna Fort
(1812 - unknown), Vienna
A town fort and blockhouse, located about seven miles north of the Pigeon Roost settlement.

Henry Ristine's Blockhouse
(1812 - unknown), Madison
A settlers' blockhouse, located on a hill in or near the town.

Madison Fort
(1812 - unknown), Madison
A town defense against Indians, located within the present-day Court House Square.

Harbert's Fort
(1812 - unknown), Wirt
A settlers' blockhouse located on the south side of Harbert's Creek, near the original settlement's meeting house.

Deputy Blockhouse
(1812 - unknown), Deputy
A settlers' blockhouse.

Buchanan's Station
(1812 - unknown), Shelby Township, Jefferson County
A local militia blockhouse located somewhere along the present-day northeastern boundary of the county.

Capt. James McGuire's Fort
(1811 or 1812 - unknown), near Farmers Retreat
A settlers' blockhouse built by (or at least on the land of) Benjamin Purcell on Laughery Creek. Garrisoned by the local militia under the command of Capt. McGuire. No remains. Marker near site at Bear Branch and Bum Hollow Roads.
(thanks to Rich Ferguson for providing info)

John Conner's Trading Post (1)
(1803), near Cedar Grove

John Conner's Trading Post (2)
(1806), near Brookville


Indiana Civil War Camps
(various locations, north to south)

Camp Bloomington (1863), Labertews Grove near Bloomington.
Camp Lawrence (1861 - 1865), Bedford, a stone marker is located at Breckenridge Cemetery, with unmarked graves of 25 Confederate POWs and seven Union recruits. Originally a recruitment camp, later becoming a POW camp. Actual site located southeast of the cemetery near the railroad. Located north of 5th Street (IN 58), on the east side of Madison Street between Oak Street and Breckenridge Road.
Camp Logan (2) (1862), Greensburg.
Camp Ross (2) (1862), Greensburg.
Camp Columbus (1864), Columbus.
Camp Heffren (1861), Seymour.
Camp Laz Noble (1862), Lawrenceburg, located on the Whitewater Canal east of town.
Camp Emerson, Madison, located at the old fairgrounds.
Camp Gray, near Madison, located eight miles from town.
Camp Hanover, Hanover.
Camp Gilbert (1862), Port Fulton near Jeffersonville, possibly located at the later site of Jefferson Army General Hospital (1864 - 1866).
Camp Andy Johnson (1861), Port Fulton, originally called Camp Joe Bright.
Camp Sherman (1861), Port Fulton.
Camp Joe Holt (1) (1861 - 1862), Clarksville, initially a Union training camp for Kentucky troops when that state was still officially neutral. Located from Front Street to Todd Street, north past Montgomery Street to Cane Run Creek. A military hospital was built here 1862 - 1864. The site is now the visitor center of the Falls of the Ohio State Park.
Camp Butler (1862 - 1863), Cannelton.
Camp Reynolds (1) (1862), Rockport.
Camp Wallace (1861), Evansville, located at Reitz Hill (Coal Mine Hill). Originally named Camp Morris (1) and located on the east bank of Pigeon Creek. Reitz Hill was also site of unnamed camps in 1863-64.
Camp Lewis (1862), Evansville. A temporary camp.
Camp Steuben, Evansville. A temporary camp.
Camp Cochran, Evansville. A temporary camp.
Camp Scott (1861), Evansville, located at the Salt Well Resort on Pigeon Creek. A convalescent hospital was also here. Originally named Camp Gavitt.
Camp Vanderburgh (1861 - 1863), Evansville, located at the old fairgrounds on Pigeon Creek. Originally named Camp Baker.
Ehrman Barracks (aka Upper Barracks) (1864 - 1865), Evansville, located at the foot of Cherry Street at the Ohio River. Used by the Veteran Reserve Corps. Adjacent to the Army's commissary and Quartermaster depot. Previously the site of Camp Cruft (1861), Camp Elkins (1861), and other unnamed temporary camps in 1862 and 1864.
Lower Barracks (1864), Evansville, located at the foot of Wabash Ave. at the Ohio River. Used by the Veteran Reserve Corps. Adjacent to the Marine Hospital and the Army's military hospital.
Owen Barracks (1861 - 1862), Evansville.
Camp Mt. Vernon (1861), Mt. Vernon, located at the old fairgrounds.
Camp Graham (1863), Mt. Vernon.
Camp Gibson (1861 - 1862), Princeton, located at the old fairgrounds.
Camp Knox (1861), Vincennes, located at the old fairgrounds near present-day 2nd Street and Niblack Blvd..

(additional Evansville camp info provided by Stanley Schmitt)


Thanks to Marvin Atchison for providing info and maps on the early settler forts and trading posts of Indiana.

NEED MORE INFO:
Towns:

Northern Indiana - page 1

QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
Updates @ NorthAmericanForts.com

Google

Eastern Forts