Fort Edward Augustus |
Fort Barbour |
Camp Barstow |
Fort de la Baye des Puants
Blue Mounds Fort | Camp Bragg | Brisbois House | Cassville Fort | Fort Chagouamigon (1)
Chagouamigon Post (2) | Fort Clark | Fort Crawford | Fort Defiance | Fort DeSeelhorst
Diamond Grove Fort | Fort Dodge | Camp Douglas | DuBay's Post | Eversoll's Fort
Forts Folle Avoine | Fond du Lac Post | Funk's Fort | Fort Gratiot | Camp Hamilton | Fort Hamilton
Camp Harvey (1) | Camp Harvey (2) | Henry's Post | Hollingsworth's Fort | Camp Holton
Fort Howard | Fort Independence | Fort Jackson | Jones' Blockhouse | Kindle's Fort
Fort Koshkonong | Fort La Pointe | LaSalle's Fort | Linctot's Post | Camp McCoy | Fort McCoy
Fort McKay | Camp McKown | Fort Napoleon | Fort at New Diggings | Ocatagon House
Parish's Fort | Perrot's Post | Pig's Eye Fort | Platteville Blockhouse | Prairie du Chien Post
Camp Randall | Camp Reno | Camp Robinson | Rountree's Fort | Fort St. Antoine | Fort St. Croix
Fort St. Esprit | St. Feriole Island Post | Fort St. Francis | Fort St. François | Fort St. Louis
Fort St. Nicolas | Fort St. Pierre | St. François Xavier Mission | Camp Scott | Fort Shelby
Shull's Fort | Camp Sigel | Snake Hollow Blockhouse | Sparta Ordnance Depot
Spring Green Shot Tower | Superior Stockade | Camp Swanson | Thibault's Post | Camp Treadway
Fort Trempealeau | Camp Trowbridge | Fort Union | Camp Upton | Camp Utley | Fort Vaudreuil
Fort Wales Rock | Camp Washburn | Camp Williams | Fort Winnebago | Camp Wood
TERRITORIAL FORTS OF WISCONSIN
OLD LEAD REGION HISTORICAL SOCIETY
(Heritage Hill State Historical Park)
(1684 - 1728, 1732 - 1760, 1761 - 1763), Green Bay
Originally known as French Fort de la Baye des Puants, a frontier outpost and trading post built by Nicolas Perrot. A fortified French Jesuit mission (St. François Xavier) was first established here in 1669. The fort was rebuilt and renamed in 1717. Also spelled St. Francis. It was destroyed by Indians in 1728, and was not rebuilt for five years. It was abandoned in 1760. In 1761 it became British Fort Edward Augustus but was abandoned during the Pontiac Uprising. The original site is on the west side of the Fox River at the foot of the Dousman Street Bridge, marked by a flagpole. A reconstruction is on display at Heritage Hill Park. Admission fee.
(Heritage Hill State Historical Park)
(1816 - 1841, 1849 - 1852, 1861 - 1863), Green Bay
A Federal stockade with four log blockhouses, built on the site of Fort St. Francis/Edward Augustus. The original site is on the west side of the Fox River at the foot of the Dousman Street Bridge, marked by a flagpole. Rebuilt with frame buildings beginning in 1831. Abandoned between 1841 to 1849 for the Seminole War in Florida. The post became a local mobilization center during the Civil War, but was then sold off in 1869. Two original buildings (mess and 1834 hospital) and two reconstructions (a fur trader's cabin and Officer's quarters) are on display at Heritage Hill Park, moved here in 1975. Admisson fee.
Camp Bragg (Memorial Park)
(1861 - 1862), Oshkosh
A Civil War training camp. Located at Hazel and Cleveland Streets.
(1817), Fond du Lac
Part of the house was supposedly first used as a settlers' blockhouse against Indians but later rebuilt into the present 12-room manor house in 1856. Used as a station on the Underground Railroad. Located at 276 Linden Street. Admission fee.
(1861 - 1862), Fond du Lac
A Civil War training camp. Renamed Camp Wood in 1862.
John Baptiste DuBay's Post
(1834 - unknown), near Knowlton
An American Fur Co. trading post. Site located south of town, now underneath DuBay Lake in Portage County.
(1828 - 1845), Portage FORT WIKI
A Federal fort. Only the Surgeon's Quarters, restored in the 1940's, remain today. It was originally built in 1819 as a portage house by François LeRoi. The fort's stockade was not built until 1832 during the Black Hawk War. The fort was later abandoned, and was burned in 1856. Admission fee.
The Garrison School (1850 - 1960) is adjacent to the fort. Also of interest nearby is the restored Winnebago Indian Agency House (1832). Admission fee.
Camp McKown (1840) was located adjacent to the fort.
Camp Randall (Memorial Park)
(1861 - 1865, 1917), Madison
A Union training camp and Confederate POW camp. Later became the state fairgrounds until 1893 when acquired by the University of Wisconsin. The park was set up in 1911, the Memorial Arch built in 1912. Temporarily used as a National Guard training camp in 1917. Now the Camp Randall Sports Complex of the University of Wisconsin. Located between University Ave. and Monroe Street, from Randall Ave. to Breese Terrace.
(900 - 1200), Lake Mills
A recreated palisaded Indian village of the Middle Mississippian Culture. Along the outer palisade were bastions or towers about every 80 feet. Enclosed were two temple mounds.
(1832), Fort Atkinson
A stockade with four blockhouses originally located near Lake Koshkonong. Abandoned after the "Battle of Bad Axe", the last battle of the Black Hawk War (August 1832). After 1836 it was dismantled for timber. Reconstructed in 1966 at Rock River Park on the north bank of the Rock River, just off of WI 106 on the west side of town. A memorial (1908) is at the original site on the lake. Settled in 1841, the town of Fort Atkinson was named after General Henry Atkinson, who built the fort. There was no fort by that name otherwise.
Milwaukee Civil War Camps
(1861 - 1865), Milwaukee
Camp Holton (1861 - 1865), located along North Prospect Ave. Renamed Camp Reno in 1864. Sold at auction in 1866, only the guardhouse still exists, now a private house located on Albion Street.
Camp Scott (1861), located on Wisconsin Ave. west of 12th Street.
Camp Sigel (1861), located at Oakland and Farwell Aves..
Camp Trowbridge (1862), undetermined location.
Camp Washburn (1861 - 1865), located at the old Cold Spring Racetrack west of 27th Street.
Camp Harvey (2)
A Spanish-American War state guard muster camp at the state fairgrounds north of town, at South 81st Street and West Greenfield Ave.. Marker erected in 1992.
(1861 - 1862), Racine
A Civil War training camp.
Camp Harvey (1)
(1861 - 1862), Kenosha
A Civil War training camp. Located at present-day Green Ridge Cemetery.
(1861 - 1862), Janesville
A Civil War training camp.
A Civil War training camp.
Joseph Thibault's Post
(1824 - 1830's), Beloit
An independent fur trading post.
Capt. Benjamin Funk's Fort
A settlers' fort built during the Black Hawk War. The settlement was originally known as Wiley's Grove.
Blue Mounds Fort
(1832), Blue Mounds
A fortified mining settlement and local militia defense located one and one-half miles south of the Blue Mound.
Spring Green Shot Tower
(Tower Hill State Park)
(1831 - 1860), Spring Green
A 185-foot shaft carved into the sandstone bluff, with a reconstructed lead smelter house at the top. A 90-foot long tunnel connects to the collection pool at the bottom of the shaft. Also known as the Helena Shot Tower. It was operated by the Wisconsin Shot Company. One of seven remaining shot towers in the country (the others are located in Dubuque, IA, Cincinnati, OH, Columbus, OH, Philadelphia, PA, Baltimore, MD, and Wytheville, VA).
The WI state militia field headquarters during the Black Hawk War.
Thomas Parish's Fort
A settlers' two-story log blockhouse on a stone foundation, built during the Black Hawk War. The settlement was originally known as Wingville.
A settlers' stockade built on John Terry's property during the Black Hawk War.
(1832), Mineral Point
A settlers' and miners' stockade during the Black Hawk War. Timber and logs from all the houses and buildings in town were used to construct the stockade and two blockhouses, and several garrisons inside the stockade. Located at Commerce and Fountain Streets.
(1832), near Mineral Point
A settlers' and miners' stockade with two blockhouses and two large barracks, built on the property of Daniel Parkinson during the Black Hawk War. Site located about five miles southeast of town in Lafayette County. Stone monument erected in 1928. Marker erected in 1995.
(1832), near Wiota
A local militia stockade during the Black Hawk War, protecting a lead mine and smelter located on the Pecatonica River. Built by William Stephen Hamilton, son of Alexander.
James Kindle's (Sr.) Fort
(1832), Lafayette County
A local militia stockade during the Black Hawk War.
Fort (Justus) DeSeelhorst
(1832), Elk Grove
A settlers' and miners' stockade during the Black Hawk War.
(1832), White Oak Springs
A local militia 100-by-50-foot stockade during the Black Hawk War, built by Capt. Benjamin Clark.
Another unnamed 50-foot square stockade (1832) was located nearby.
Capt. Jesse Shull's Fort
(1827), Old Shullsburg
A 30-man local militia stockade during the Winnebago War.
Capt. Hollingsworth's Fort
(1827), near Old Shullsburg
An 80-man local militia stockade during the Winnebago War.
(1832), Old Shullsburg
A local militia log stockade during the Black Hawk War.
(1832), near Shullsburg
A local militia stockade during the Black Hawk War. Located at Gratiot's Grove, which was once located a few miles south of town. This was not located at the present-day town of Gratiot, which was settled later.
Diamond Grove Fort
(1832), Lafayette County ?
A settlers' stockade during the Black Hawk War. Undetermined location.
Fort at New Diggings
(1827), New Diggings
A settlers' and miners' stockade during the Winnebago War.
George Jones' Blockhouse
A settlers' log blockhouse built during the Black Hawk War. A massive buttressed stone structure located nearby, attributed locally as a Black Hawk War blockhouse, was probably not built until later in the mid 1840's.
A local militia 100-foot diameter stockade with one blockhouse, built during the Black Hawk War. Also known as Fort Dodge.
(1827), near Platteville
An otherwise unnamed blockhouse was located on Blockhouse Creek about three miles south of town during the Winnebago War.
Christian Eversoll's Fort
(1832), Grant County
A local militia sod earthwork built around Eversoll's house during the Black Hawk War, commanded by a Capt. McCoy.
Snake Hollow Blockhouse
(1832 or 1833), Potosi
A miners' blockhouse defense built during, or just after (?), the Black Hawk War.
A temporary town fort during the Black Hawk War. Site located at Lot #3 in Block #13.
(1753 - 1754), near Bagley ?
A French stockaded fur trading post built by Joseph Marin, located on the Mississippi River about four French leagues below the mouth of the Wisconsin River. Possibly sited on French Island south of town.
(1682), near Prairie du Chien
A French post built by René-Robert Cavalier de LaSalle, located at the mouth of the Wisconsin River.
Fort St. Nicolas
(1683 - unknown), near Prairie du Chien
A French fur trading post built by Nicolas Perrot, located at or near the mouth of the Wisconsin River.
Prairie du Chien Post
(1737, 1754 - 1756 ?), Prairie du Chien
A temporary French fort was built here after Sioux hostilities to the north at Lake Pepin. Later in 1754 a French trade post was established here by Joseph Marin, probably abandoned by 1756, if not earlier.
Located at the Pig's Eye Slough on the south edge of town were once stone chimney ruins and trenches attributed to an earlier French fort, known locally by the early American settlers as the "Old French Fort", or the Pig's Eye Fort. This may be one of the French forts referenced above.
St. Feriole Island Trading Post
(1781 ? - unknown), Prairie du Chien
French Canadian fur trappers first established a trading post here possibly as early as 1781. An American Fur Co. post was built in 1808. The stone Brisbois Trading House (1851) is well-preserved and maintained on North 1st Street as the Fur Trade Museum. The recreated Astor Fur Warehouse (1820's) is located in Dousman Park. See also History of Prairie du Chien by the Prairie du Chien Area Chamber of Commerce.
(1814 - 1815, 1816 - 1829), Prairie du Chien
A Federal stockade with two blockhouses, located on St. Feriole Island. It was captured by the British in July 1814, two months after it was built, renamed Fort McKay, and then destroyed by the British at the end of the war (May 1815). It was never recaptured by the Americans. The much larger stockaded Fort Crawford I was then built here in June 1816 (see below), abandoned in 1829 due to flooding. A mansion, Villa Louis (1873), currently sits on the original site of the fort in Dousman Park. One of the original blockhouses has been reconstructed, and paver stones mark the foundations of other former fort buildings. Admission fee.
(1830 - 1849, 1855 - 1856, 1861 - 1862, 1864 - 1865), Prairie du Chien FORT WIKI
Originally built on St. Feriole Island to replace Fort Shelby, it was abandoned in 1829 because of floods. A replacement fort of stone and brick construction (Fort Crawford II) was built on higher ground (Lockwood's Ridge) one mile southeast of the old fort in 1830. Transfer of all military stores was completed in 1831. This was the site of St. Mary's Academy in 1872. The Fort Crawford Museum, the former post hospital restored in the 1930's, is on 717 South Beaumont Road, operated by the Prairie du Chien Historical Society. Admission fee.
Old Postcard image A || Old Postcard image B from RootsWeb.com
See also Fort Crawford 1999 Site Excavations by the Mississippi Valley Archaeology Center
Fort Wales Rock
(unknown), La Farge
A geological formation. Name origin unknown.
Camp Williams (State Military Reservation)
(1888 - present), Camp Douglas
Originally named Camp Douglas until renamed in 1926. A state National Guard training area and rifle range. This was the primary training area for the WI NG until 1946. Briefly named Camp Swanson in 1903. Permanent structures were built beginning in the mid 1890's. Used as a state mobilization center in 1898 and 1917. The 32nd "Red Arrow" Division trained here during WWI. Located on post is the Wisconsin National Guard Museum, housed in a 1890's log building near Volk Field (built 1935, named in 1957). The Wisconsin Military Academy moved to Fort McCoy in 1995, and was replaced by the Wisconsin Youth Leadership Training Center in 1996. The Camp Williams (Hardwood) Weapons Firing Range (1954) is located to the north near Finley.
Fort McCoy (U.S. Military Reservation)
(1909 - present), Fort McCoy
A WI National Guard training area, originally two tracts named Camp Robinson and Camp Upton. Became an Army field artillery training area in 1917. Became the Sparta Army Ordnance Depot in 1919 - 1923. The two tracts were combined and renamed Camp McCoy in 1926. Federalized and expanded in 1942 for WWII infantry training. Redesignated in 1974. Still in use as a major regional training center.
Nicolas Perrot's Post
(Perrot State Park)
Originally a stockaded winter trading post. Also known as Fort Trempealeau.
Another French fort (Linctot's Post) (1731 - 1736) was built here later by René Godefroy, sieur de Linctot. An American Fur Co. post was also located here in the 1820's. Admission fee to the park.
Fort St. Antoine
(1686 - unknown), Stockholm
A French fort built by Nicolas Perrot. Marker located on Lake Pepin two miles southeast of town.
Fort St. Pierre
(1736 - 1737), Malden Rock
A French trade post. Abandoned and burned because of Indian hostilities, the French fled to Prairie du Chien.
(1825 - 1830's), St. Croix Falls
A Columbia Fur Co. trading post.
Forts Folle Avoine
(1802 - 1805), Danbury
Reconstructions of two adjacent French Canadian winter trading posts (North West Co. and the XY Company) and a Woodland Period Ojibwe Indian village along the Yellow River. The North West Co. post was stockaded, and the XY Co. men took shelter in the stockade when threatened by the Dakota Indians, enemies of the Ojibwe. Operated by the Burnett County Historical Society. The undisturbed site was discovered in 1969.
Fort St. Louis
(1793 - 1816), Superior
A North West Co. stockaded trading post on the St. Louis River (Superior Bay). Also known as Fond du Lac Post. Site located at Connor's Point near present-day Second (Bay) and Winter Streets. It had two one-gun blockhouses, two 40-foot long houses and a 60-foot long warehouse. It was the major trading depot for the area up until 1805, when the NW Co. post at Leech Lake, MN was established. After 1813 it became a post of the short-lived South West Co., a joint venture between the British North West Co. and the American Fur Co.. (see also Fond du Lac Post, MINNESOTA)
(thanks to Paul Gaboriault for providing info and correct location)
(1862 - 1863), Superior
A state militia stockade built to protect the town residents during the Sioux Uprisings in Minnesota.
Fort St. Croix
(1683 - unknown), near Upper Eau Claire Lake
A French post located at the headwaters of the St. Croix River.
Fort Chagouamigon (1)
(1659, 1663 - 1670), near Ashland
A French trade post located at the head of Chequamegon Bay. It burned down in 1670. A reproduction log stockade is located in Bayview Park at Masalowski Beach, although it is not authentic to the French period.
A state marker located on Highway 2 at the western limits of town describes a crude log structure built in 1659 by French traders Pierre-Esprit Radisson and Medard Chouart des Groseilliers. When the governor of New France later stripped them of their trading licenses for refusing to share the proceeds, they went to England to persuade Prince Rupert to sponsor an expedition to Hudson Bay.
(1765 - unknown), near Ashland
A British trade post located at the head of Chequamegon Bay. Also known as Chagouamigon Post (2).
Fort La Pointe
(Madeline Island Museum)
(History of Madeline Island)
(1693 - 1698, 1718 - 1759), La Pointe, Madeline Island
French Fort St. Esprit (1693 - 1698), a trading post/fort built by Pierre Charles Le Sueur, was originally located here, protecting a French Jesuit mission established earlier in 1660. The fort was rebuilt in 1718 at or near the same site. This was the principal French trading post on Lake Superior. It was abandoned in 1759. The British then later established their own trading post nearby in 1793, built by Michel Cadotte. It was taken over by the American Fur Co. in 1815 or later. Admission fee to museum. Fort marker at the end of Old Fort Road.
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
Updates @ NorthAmericanForts.com