Pearl Harbor Area

Fort Barrette | Fort Kamehameha (2) | Camp Langfitt | Camp Malakole
Defenses of Pearl Harbor | Red Hill Redoubt | Schofield Barracks | Fort Upton | Fort Weaver

(Minor WWII Installations NOT INDEXED)

HAWAII AVIATION PRESERVATION SOCIETY

Honolulu Area - page 1 | North Shore O'ahu - page 3 | Other Hawaiian Islands - page 4

Last Update: 12/OCTOBER/2014
Compiled by Pete Payette - 2014 American Forts Network

O'ahu Island - Southwestern Shore

Camp Langfitt
(1898), Pearl City
A Spanish-American War camp of Army Engineers. Located at Remond Grove, near the present-day Sunset Memorial Cemetery.


HARBOR DEFENSES of PEARL HARBOR
(includes the western shore)

Ahua Point Military Reservation
(unknown dates), Ahua Point
Located on the eastern edge of the Fort Kamehameha Military Reservation, now incorporated into the taxiway for Honolulu International Airport. Located here was a 3-inch AA gun battery from the 1920's, Battery Ahua (1942 - 1944) three 5-inch naval guns (one removed in 1943), and Naval Antiaircraft Shore Battery No. 5 (1942 - 1944) four 5-inch naval guns. Searchlights were emplaced here, as well as an AA warning station (AAIS 10) (1940). No remains of any military structures.

Fort Kamehameha (2) (U.S. Military Reservation)
(1907 - 1949/1992/present), Pearl Harbor
Located on Queen Emma Point, between Hickam Air Force Base and the Honolulu International Airport at the east-side of the entrance to Pearl Harbor. Originally named Fort Upton, but was soon changed due to local public request. Batteries are Battery Selfridge (1913 - 1945), Battery Closson (1924 - 1948) casemated 1942, Battery Hasbrouck (1914 - 1943), the combined Battery Jackson (1913 - 1943) and Battery Hawkins (1914 - 1943), Battery Barri (1915 - 1924) on Bishop Point, destroyed, Battery Chandler (1915 - 1942) on Bishop Point, destroyed, Anti Motor Torpedo Boat Battery #2 (1943 - 1946), and Battery Kam (1934 ? - 1943) four mobile 155mm guns. A training firing point for the 155mm guns was established on the beach in 1921. Railway artillery was also used beginning in 1922 (used as a "dummy" battery in WWII). Two 3-inch AA gun batteries were built here in the 1920's. Fire-control station "G" (pre-WWII) was once located here (one tower, gone). A concrete machine-gun pillbox was built in 1934 along the shore. Many more were added during WWII. Searchlights were emplaced on Queen Emma Point. The former Army reservation was transferred to Hickam Air Force Base in 1992. The eastern portion of the post became Mamala Bay Golf Course. The Air Force in 2009 recommended demolition of many of the former Army buildings (see also Historic Hawai'i Foundation).
See also War Ruins of South Oahu from SakurasakuJapan.com

Battery at Hickam Field
(Hickam Air Force Base)
(1935 - unknown/present), Hickam Village
Located here was Naval Antiaircraft Shore Battery No. 1 (1942 - 1944) four 5-inch naval guns. No remains, site located at the Hickam Village housing complex. Historical info by NPS

Pearl Harbor (Ford Island) Military Reservation
(Pearl Harbor Naval Base)
(1917 - 1939/present), Ford Island
Under the command of Fort Kamehameha, Battery Adair and Battery Boyd (both 1917 - 1925) were located here as land defense for the naval base at Pearl Harbor, covering the East and Middle Lochs to the north. Battery Adair, located on Nob Hill, was sealed up and converted to the basement of the base admiral's quarters (Quarters K) in 1936. It was used as an air-raid shelter during the Japanese attack in 1941. Battery Boyd, located between San Jacinto Street and Ranger Loop, is currently used for storage by the U.S. Navy. Also located here was Naval Antiaircraft Shore Battery No. 7 (1942 - 1944) four 5-inch naval guns. Ford Island became the site of the Army Air Corps' Luke Field (1919 - 1939) until transferred to the Navy as Ford Island Naval Air Station (1939 - 1962).

Aliamanu Military Reservation
(unknown - 1948/present), Aliamanu Crater, near Foster Village
Located here was Battery Salt Lake / Burgess (1942 - 1948, renamed 1946) two twin 8-inch naval turret guns. The gun mounts were later destroyed/buried, the magazine tunnels probably still exist. Also here were three 4-inch naval guns (1941 - 1943), and Battery Aliamanu (1942 - 1944) four Panama mounts. Fire-control station "C" (three structures, pre-WWII) was located on the rim of the crater, including the Hawaiian Department Command Post, and the Joint Army-Navy Command Post (both WWII) (both bunkers still exist). Most of the crater floor is now used for military housing. Over 150 WWII era ammunition bunkers and other storage bunkers are still located here. No public access to underground tunnels. 1998 PHOTOS from RC Archive.com

Red Hill Military Reservation
(Red Hill Naval Reservation)
(1914 - 1940 ?/present), Red Hill
Located on the summit was Red Hill Redoubt (1916 - 1920's ?), built as part of a "last stand" line of fortifications from Diamond Head, against an enemy invasion from the north. It consisted of a concrete-lined trench 274 feet long, with five earth-covered bombproof rooms to the rear, and additional storerooms and latrines. The site was later destroyed before WWII, replaced by the Pacific Fleet Naval Fuel Storage Depot (1943), with 20 massive 300,000 barrel-capacity fuel storage tanks built into the mountain.

Aiea Heights Military Reservation
(Napuanani Neighborhood Park)
(1941 - unknown), Aiea Heights
Battery Aiea (1941 - 1944) two 240mm howitzers was built here to support the Kunia and Kalihi batteries. Also here was a mobile 3-inch AA gun battery (1942), Naval Antiaircraft Shore Battery No. 8 (1942 - 1944) four 5-inch naval guns, and the Hawaiian Anti-Aircraft Command command post (1942 - 1944) (concrete bunker still exists). Site now a county park in a residential neighborhood at the 1100 block of Aiea Heights Drive.

Pearl City Naval Reservation
(Pearl Harbor Naval Base)
(unknown - present), Pearl City Peninsula
Located on the Pearl City Peninsula was a mobile four-gun 3-inch AA gun battery (1942).

Waipio Naval Reservation
(Pearl Harbor Naval Base)
(unknown - present), Waipio Peninsula
Located on the point about halfway on the east-side of the Waipio Peninsula along the shore of Middle Loch was Naval Antiaircraft Shore Battery No. 6 (1942 - 1944) four 5-inch naval guns, and a mobile 3-inch AA gun battery (1942). Two concrete gun emplacements, the power generator house, and fire-control switchboard room still existed in 1995. Public access restricted.

Waipahu Battery
(1942 - 1945), Waipahu
Located in a sugarcane field somewhere in the West Loch vicinity was Naval Antiaircraft Shore Battery No. 2 (1942 - 1944) four 5-inch naval guns. A 120mm AA battery was located near the Waipahu High School in 1944.

Fort Weaver
(Puuloa Naval Reservation - Pearl Harbor Naval Base)
(1899 - 1948/present), near Ewa Beach
Originally named Iroquois Point Military Reservation until 1922. Located here was Battery Williston (1924 - 1948, shielded 1942, destroyed), Battery Weaver (1934 ? - 1944) four Panama mounts, and Anti Motor Torpedo Boat Battery #1 (1943 - 1945). Two four-gun 3-inch AA batteries were built in 1927. One set of four was relocated to Fort Barrette in the 1930's. Fire-control station "F" (pre-WWII) was once located here (one tower, gone). Located towards Ewa Beach was Naval Antiaircraft Shore Battery No. 3 (1942 - 1944) four 5-inch naval guns, probably located adjacent to the Navy's Fleet Machine Gun Training School. Marines here manned three batteries of .50-cal AA machine guns when the Japanese attacked in 1941. This area was developed for housing in the 1950's, adjacent to the present-day USMC Puuloa Rifle Range.

Located nearby at Ewa Beach was Ewa Beach Battery (1937 - 1944) four Panama mounts. Searchlights were emplaced here.

Oneula Military Reservation
(unknown dates), Oneula Beach
Located here was Battery Oneula (1942 - 1944) three 5-inch naval guns (one removed in 1942), and Battery X-Ray (1942 - 1944) four Panama mounts and one 5-inch naval gun installed in 1943 (from Battery Ahua - Ft. Kamehameha). Both sites destroyed. Fire-control station "X" (pre-WWII) (one tower, gone) was between Oneula Beach and Ewa Beach. A concrete machine-gun pillbox was built along the shore in 1934. Many more were added during WWII. Searchlights were emplaced here.

Ewa Marine Corps Air Station
(1942 - 1952), Ewa
Located here at the Navy's abandoned Ewa Mooring Mast (1920's) was Naval Antiaircraft Shore Battery No. 4 (1942 - 1944) four 5-inch naval guns. No remains, site developed.

Fort Barrette
(Kapolei Regional Park)
(1931 - 1948), Kapolei
Originally named Kapolei Military Reservation until 1934. Located on Pu'u Kapolei was Battery Hatch (1934 - 1948) casemated 1942. Four 3-inch AA gun batteries were transferred here in the 1930's from Fort Weaver. Became a NIKE missile base in the 1950's. Fire-control stations "A'" (pre-WWII, one structure) and "Makakilo" (WWII) were located north on Pu'u Makakilo. PHOTOS from Punynari's Island Adventures
See also War Ruins of South Oahu from SakurasakuJapan.com

Barbers Point Military Reservation
(1921 - unknown), Barbers Point (Kalaeloa)
Located at Barbers Point Beach was Battery Barbers Point (1937 - 1942) two sets of Panama mounts separated by a lighthouse. This site was an early training firing point for 155mm guns. Site now destroyed. Searchlights were emplaced here, and also an AA warning station (AAIS 9) (1940). Several concrete WWII machine-gun pillboxes are still located here along Nimitz Beach.

Camp Malakole
(1939 - unknown), Barbers Point (Kalaeloa)
An anti-aircraft artillery training firing point and cantonment area located just south of Barbers Point (Kalaeloa) Harbor. An SCR-268 radar was also here after 1942. Searchlights were emplaced here. Originally named Honouliuli Military Reservation until 1941. No remains, site now zoned for light industrial in relation to the nearby deep draft harbor. A concrete WWII machine-gun pillbox is still located on the shore just south of the former camp, on the grounds of the Chevron Oil refinery.

Palailai Military Reservation
(1920's - unknown), near Kapolei
Battery Palailai (1942 - 1944) was located south of the railway west of Kapolei, on Pu'u Palailai. Fire-control station "B" (pre-WWII, one four-level structure) was also located here.

Gilbert Military Reservation
(1922 - 1944), Gilbert
A railway battery firing position located east of Barbers Point Harbor.

Brown's Camp Military Reservation
(1937 - unknown), near Kahe Point
Battery Brown's Camp (1937 - 1944) was a railway battery firing position. Also here were the four Panama mounts of Battery Awanui (1940 - 1945, two field guns before 1942) destroyed 1980. The area is now developed.

Kahe Point Military Reservation
(1940 - 1948), Kahe Point
Located on a ridge about 320 feet above and 900 feet behind Kahe Point Beach was Battery Arizona (1945) with a salvaged three-gun turret from the USS Arizona, but was never fully completed. Also here were the four Panama mounts of Battery Kahe (1942 - 1944). Searchlights were emplaced on the shore. Public access is restricted. PHOTOS from Waianae CRider.com

Fire-control station "A" (pre-WWII) was located north at Pu'u Manawahua (four structures still exist) (private property). Also here was an SCR-270 mobile radar (1941) and an AA warning station (AAIS 12) (1940). PHOTOS from Punynari's Island Adventures

Nanakuli Military Reservation
(1921 ? - unknown), Nanakuli Beach
Battery Nanakuli (1941 - 1943), with two 5-inch naval guns and one 3-inch naval gun (removed in 1942), was initially manned by the USMC until 1942 to protect the Lualualei Naval Ammunition Depot and Radio Station. Four Panama mounts were added later in 1942. This site was used as an early training firing point for 155mm guns. Site recently destroyed for a new school.

Puu O Hulu Military Reservation
(1923 - 1946/present), Ma'ili
Battery Hulu (1942 - 1945) two 7-inch casemated naval guns, with plotting room, BC station, radar and searchlight stations; and Battery 303 (1944) tunnel complex not completed. Fire-control station "U" (1924) was located on Pu'u O Hulu Kai. Additional fire-control stations were built in 1929 (?) (two), 1934 and 1940 (all five still exist). Also here was an AA warning station (AAIS 8) (1940). A concrete machine-gun pillbox was built along the shore in 1934. Several more were added during WWII. Site now used by the Honolulu Civil Defense Agency. Restricted public access. PHOTOS from Punynari's Island Adventures

Maili Military Reservation
(1929), Ma'ili
A proposed firing position for railway artillery, never built. A fire-control switchboard room was built here in 1929 for the proposed battery. Searchlights were emplaced on the shore near Pu'u Ma'ili'ili'i.

Waianae Military Reservation
(1942 - unknown), Waianae
Battery Waianae (1942 - 1944) was a "dummy" railway battery firing position.

Schofield Barracks (U.S. Military Reservation)
(1909 - present), Wahiawa
The largest U.S. Army post in Hawaii, garrison headquarters of the 25th Infantry (Tropic Lightning) Division. Located at Kolekole Pass at the western edge of the reservation (northeast of Pu'u Kumakali'i) was Battery Kole Kole (1941 - 1944) two 240mm howitzers. Site destroyed in early 1990's. During WWII several groups of 3-inch AA guns were located in the central part of the reservation along the Leilehua Plateau. Of interest on post is the Tropic Lightning Museum.

Located off of the reservation to the south on Mt. Mauna'una was an AA warning station (AAIS 11) (1940). Located to the west of the reservation on Mt. Ka'ala was an SCR-270 mobile radar station (1941).

Kunia Military Reservation
(1941 - unknown), near Kunia Camp
Located southwest of Wheeler Army Airfield, on the west-side of Kunia Road south of Ekahanui Gulch, was Battery Kunia (1941 - 1944) two 240mm howitzers. Site destroyed in early 1990's.

Kepuhi Military Reservation
(unknown dates), Kepuhi Point
Fire-control station "S'" (pre-WWII) was located nearby on Pu'u Kea'au (two structures remain), north of Makaha. Searchlights were emplaced at the shore. PHOTOS from Punynari's Island Adventures

Keaau Military Reservation
(1942 - unknown), near Ohikilolo Beach
Battery Homestead (1942 - 1944) initially four Panama mounts and later three 5-inch naval guns located at Keaau Homesteads (0.75 miles inland). One of the 5-inch gun platforms still exists, as well as the BC station, plotting room, and six magazines. The other two gun mounts are buried or destroyed. Private property.


NOTES: The Island of O'ahu was ringed by hundreds of mass-produced concrete machine-gun pillboxes in 1942. Many still exist. There were numerous AA batteries (3-inch, 20mm, 40mm, 90mm, 120mm) emplaced around the island 1942 - 1945. They are not yet listed on this website. Not all of the 155mm and 240mm batteries had guns emplaced at all times. Many were alternate, or "fall back" pre-built positions. The guns were moved where needed.

Thanks to William Gaines of the Coast Defense Study Group for detailed information on Oahu's WWII 155mm batteries, railway batteries, and other historical information, and also to the late William Dorrance of the CDSG for additional historical information.
Special thanks to John Bennett of the CDSG for Oahu fire-control station data, and info on the current conditions of various surviving structures.

Honolulu Area - page 1 | North Shore O'ahu - page 3 | Other Hawaiian Islands - page 4

QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
Updates @ NorthAmericanForts.com

Google