Camp Arbuckle (1) |
Camp Arbuckle (2) |
Fort Arbuckle (1) |
Fort Arbuckle (2)
Camp Armstrong | Fort Blunt | Boggy Depot Camp | Camp Brassie | Camp Brookin
Camp Canadian | Camp Cass | Cedar Camp | Chickasaw Agency Post | Camp Choctaw
Fort Coffee | Coffee's Post (3) | Cross Timbers Camp | Fort near Crossing of Washita River
Cantonment Davis | Fort Davis | Fort Edwards | Edwards' Trading Post | Camp Fillmore
Camp Frank | Fort Gaines | Camp at Fort Gibson | Cantonment Gibson | Fort Gibson
Glenn's Post | Grand River Post | Camp Holmes (1) | Fort Holmes | Camp Illinois
Camp Imochiah | Camp Jackson | Camp Jumper | Camp Kagi | Camp Leavenworth
Fort McCulloch | Camp McDaniel | Camp Neosho | Neosho Post (1)
Neosho Post (2) | Camp Osage | Perryville Depot | Camp Phoenix | Camp Pike
Camp Prairie Springs | Camp at Purcell | Camp Quapaw | Camp Rendezvous | Camp Ross
Post at Ross' Landing | Camp Smith | Fort Spunky | Camp Steele | Camp Tiger
Three Forks Post | Cantonment Towson | Fort Towson | Warren's Post (1) | Camp Washita
Fort Washita | Camp near Fort Washita | Camp Wattles | Fort Wayne | Western Creek Agency
Western Oklahoma - page 2
FORT WIKI - OKLAHOMA
NOTE: The eastern half of the state was known as Indian Territory beginning in 1820, later joining with the western half of the state (Oklahoma Territory) for combined statehood in 1907.
(1863), near Quapaw
A CSA encampment at Hudson's Crossing.
Neosho Post (1)
(1825 - 1830's), near Wyandotte ?
A trading post on the Neosho River built by Pierre Melicourt Papin, cousin to Auguste Pierre Chouteau. Located about 40 miles upriver from Salina.
(1838 - 1842, 1848, 1861 - 1862), near Jay
Origionally called Camp Illinois and located at Watts about 20 miles south. The post moved in 1840 due to unhealthful conditions, to just outside Maysville, Arkansas, near the state line, on the north side of Spavinaw (Flag) Creek, and was sooned renamed. Abandoned for Fort Scott, Kansas. In 1848 the fort was at the center of the Cherokee Nation split between John Ross and Stand Watie. Confederate Cherokee troops also used it briefly during the Civil War. No remains.
Grand River Post (Memorial)
(1821 - 1837), Salina
The oldest permanent white settlement in the state (La Saline), established by half-Osage Indian Joseph Rivar (Revoir). A trading post was built by Paul Liguest Choteau, brother to Auguste Pierre Chouteau. Some sources claim the date of 1796 as the founding of the settlement, and others claim the date 1817 as the establishment of the trading post. Auguste Pierre Chouteau moved into Rivar's former home in 1822, one year after Rivar built the house and was then murdered by the Indians in 1821. The Salina High School is now located on the site.
(1862 - 1863), near Pryor
A CSA encampment near the mouth of Pryor Creek.
A fortified farmhouse on Spunky Creek that served as a mail/stage station before the arrival of the railroad. Some ruins (brick chimney) remain. A marker is located on US/OK 66 at the old Blue Whale Park, about 0.5 mile northeast of the site.
A Union encampment.
Fort Arbuckle (1)
(Keystone Lake Project)
(1834), near Sand Springs
A temporary Federal post during the 1834 Leavenworth Expedition, officially called Camp Arbuckle (1) or Cedar Camp, it was abandoned after only five months. Located near where the present-day Keystone Dam now stands, it consisted of a palisaded blockhouse and several cabins. Keystone Lake was impounded in 1962 by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Col. Hugh Glenn's Post
(1821 ? - unknown), Okay
A stockaded trading post.
Three Forks Post
(1822 - 1826), Okay
Built by Auguste Pierre Chouteau on the Verdigris River near its junction with the Arkansas and Neosho (Grand) Rivers, about one-half mile south of town. Bought by the Federal government in 1826 for use as the Western Creek Indian Agency. Destroyed by a flood in 1833. The Indian Agency then moved across the river to McIntosh Town until 1851.
(1829 - 1833), near Okay
A trading post set up by Sam Houston before he moved to Texas. Unmarked site located about two miles southeast of town, no remains. Also called Neosho Post (2).
A Federal encampment.
(1861 - 1862), Bacone
A CSA base of operations for the area. Also known as Cantonment Davis. Abandoned, it was then destroyed by Union troops in December 1862. Site is near the campus of Bacone Indian College one mile east of town.
Fort Gibson (Historic Site and Military Park)
(1824 - 1901, intermittent), Fort Gibson
The first Federal fort built in Indian Territory, originally known as Cantonment Gibson until 1832. The fort was enlarged in 1831. The post was briefly abandoned in 1836 for Fort Towson during the Texan War of Independence. It was abandoned again in 1845 because of flooding, and construction of a new post was begun on a nearby hill in 1847. Only one building was completed by 1857 and the fort was abandoned again, turned over to the Cherokee Nation. The Confederates briefly used this fort early in the Civil War, but the Union reclaimed it in 1863. Union troops built a mile long 18-gun earthwork called Fort Blunt on a hill above the fort. Became a Quartermaster Depot in 1871. The post was abandoned in 1890, reoccupied in 1897 as Camp at Fort Gibson, and again in 1901. The state park includes a 1936 replica of the 1824 log fort and stockade, and original 1870 barracks and other buildings. Admission fee. The 1867 Garrett Historic Home, originally the Commanding Officer's Residence, is now private property at 504 East Coppinger Ave.. A few other buildings also still remain in private hands. See also Town of Fort Gibson Historical Sites
A temporary post called Camp Jackson was established in 1833 about one mile from the present-day town.
Camp Prairie Springs
(1863), near Fort Gibson
A CSA encampment within the Cherokee Nation, located about 15 miles from Fort Gibson.
(1863), near Tahlequah ?
A CSA encampment within the Cherokee Nation. Exact location undetermined.
(1863), Park Hill
A CSA encampment near the home of Cherokee Chief John Ross.
(1834), Cookson ?
The starting point of Gen. Leavenworth's 1834 expedition through Indian Territory.
(1834 - 1838, 1861 - 1863), Fort Coffee
Located at Swallow Rock on the Arkansas River, it was a temporary post located in the Choctaw Nation on the Butterfield Overland Route, originally built to stop illegal whiskey shipments into Indian Territory. Named for Army General John Coffee. Abandoned when Fort Smith, AR, was built. Became Fort Coffee Academy, a school for Choctaw boys, in 1843, and was later occupied by CSA Indian troops. Union troops burned the post in 1863. No remains, site private property. Monument located in Skullyville on US 271. Much of the foundation stones were later used in private homes in the area. Artifacts on display at the Spiro Historical Society Museum in Spiro at 310 South Main Street.
(1862), unknown location
A temporary CSA winter encampment reportedly located 20 miles west of Fort Smith in the Choctaw Nation.
A CSA encampment.
(1863 - 1864), near Whitefield
A CSA encampment located at a spring on the south bank of the Canadian River, about one mile northeast of town. Used just after the Battle of Honey Springs (July 1863), and again just before the Battle of Cabin Creek (September 1864). A battle occurred near here in August 1863.
(1863), near Whitefield
A CSA encampment on Machire Creek west of town. The creek was variously named "Imochiah" and "Emachaya" in older sources. This was the headquarters camp of the First Brigade Indian Troops under Brig. Gen. Douglas Cooper.
(thanks to Ronnie McBean for providing location)
(1862), near Eufaula
A CSA encampment.
(1834), near Stidham
A Federal encampment located four miles south of town.
(1909), Okmulgee County
A temporary military post located west of Tiger Mountain.
(1834 - 1835), near Holdenville
Located on the east bank of the Little River at its confluence with the Canadian River, near the crossing of the Old Osage Trail. Originally called Camp Canadian and then renamed Camp Holmes (1). A blockhouse and barracks were constructed. Abandoned due to unhealthful conditions.
(1834 ? - unknown), near Holdenville
Located on the north bank of the Canadian River at its confluence with the Little River, opposite Fort Holmes. Also called James Edwards' Trading Post. Exact dates are not known, but it was in active use much longer than Fort Holmes.
(1862 - 1863), near Savanna
A CSA military post and supply depot that was attacked and burned by Union forces in August 1863.
(1834), near Jesse
A Federal encampment located south of town.
Boggy Depot Camp
(Boggy Depot Park)
(1862 - 1865), near Tushka
Old Boggy Depot is located 15 miles southwest of Atoka. This was a CSA supply depot during the Civil War. It later served as a stage coach station, Chickasaw headquarters, and temporary Choctaw Nation capital. The former state park is now managed by the Chickasaw and Choctaw Nations since 2012. Of interest nearby is the Confederate Memorial Museum, located in Atoka.
(1862 - 1865), near Kenefic
A CSA star-shaped 18-gun earthwork manned by 3000 soldiers, located on the south bank of the Blue River. The troops were quartered in tent camps, not permanent barracks. Never attacked by the Union and abandoned after the war. The site is on private property. See also Civil War Album.com || Choctaw Nation School of Language
(1862 - 1865), Bokchito
Confederate troops occupied the Armstrong Academy (1844) and used it as a hospital. Located two and one-half miles north of town. The school burned down in 1921.
Fort Towson (Historic Site and Military Park)
(1824 - 1829, 1831 - 1854, 1861 - 1865), Fort Towson PHOTOS
Only ruins remain of this frontier fort, but the sutler's building has been reconstructed, now used as the visitor center. Originally built as a border post between the US and Mexico, located on the east bank of Gates Creek six miles north of the Red River. Abandoned and burned in 1829. Rebuilt south of the creek and called Camp Phoenix briefly before being called Cantonment Towson. Renamed again in 1832. This time it was built to protect the relocated Choctaw Indians from the native Plains tribes. This post was also used as the Choctaw Indian Agency for a time and as the Choctaw Nation capital after 1854. It was used by the Confederates during most of the Civil War as headquarters of the CSA Indian Territory Department. This was the site of the last Confederate troop surrender on June 23, 1865, by General Stand Watie's Cherokee troops.
(1834), near Platter ?
A temporary Federal Dragoon blockhouse and barracks established by Col. Henry Dodge during General Henry Leavenworth's expedition. Located on the Washita River, three miles north of the Red River, south of Rock Creek. The actual site is now under Lake Texoma.
Post at Chickasaw Indian Agency
(1834), near Lake Texoma
A Federal outpost in the Chickasaw Nation. Undetermined location somewhere along the Washita River.
Fort Washita (Historic Site and Military Park)
(1842 - 1865, intermittent), near Brown
A Federal post built east of the Washita River to protect the recently relocated Chickasaw and Choctaw Nations. Rebuilt in 1855. Briefly abandoned in 1858. Abandoned by Union troops in 1861, and used by Confederates throughout the war. Became the CSA Indian Territory Department headquarters in 1865. It was not re-occupied by Federal troops after the war. Turned over to the Chickasaw Nation in 1870. Became a state park in 1962. There are original stone ruins and reconstructed structures, including the reconstructed 1849 barracks, which burned down in 2010, but has been rebuilt. See also Civil War Album.com
(1851), near Brown
A temporary Federal encampment officially known as Camp near Fort Washita. Exact location undetermined.
(1864), near Milburn
A CSA encampment on the Blue River.
(1834), near Kingston
A temporary Federal camp located about two miles south of town, and possibly now under Lake Texoma.
Holland Coffee's Trading Post (3)
(1836 - 1837), near Burneyville
A civilian stockaded trading post on the Red River near Walnut Bayou.
Abel Warren's Trading Post (1)
(1837 - 1848), near Burneyville
A civilian trading post on the Red River near Walnut Bayou. Located at or near Coffee's Post (3).
A temporary post for Regular Army artillery troops from Galveston, Texas. Located one mile southeast of town.
Fort Arbuckle (2)
(1851 - 1870), Fort Arbuckle
Originally named Fort near the Crossing of the Washita River, it was built to protect the relocated Chickasaw Indians from the native Plains tribes, and located on the site of a Kickapoo village abandoned two years earlier for Texas. Occupied by the CSA 1861 - 1865. Re-occupied by Federals in 1866. Later taken over by the Chickasaw Nation. The site is seven miles west of Davis on the south side of Wildhorse Creek. One lone chimney from the Officers' quarters still remains on private property. The original howitzers are on display at Fort Sill. Artifacts are on display at the Arbuckle Historical Museum in Davis at 12 Main Street.
(1834), Stephens County
A Federal encampment. Undetermined location.
Camp Arbuckle (2)
(1850 - 1851), Byars
A temporary Federal post (tent encampment) located one mile west of town and one mile south of the Canadian River. The garrison then moved south to Wildhorse Creek near Davis. Marker located on OK 59 one mile west of town. This site is sometimes referred to as Old Fort Arbuckle by historians.
Camp at Purcell
A temporary Army encampment, a subpost of Fort Reno, to prevent "Boomers" from entering Indian Territory.
NEED MORE INFO: Federal Fort Gaines (1849) (unknown location); Camp Smith (1834) located 25 miles west of the Washita River (location ?); Post at Ross' Landing (1836 ?) a Federal post at mouth of Ross Creek in Choctaw Nation (location ?); Cross Timbers Camp (date and location ?).
Western Oklahoma - page 2
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
Updates @ NorthAmericanForts.com