Bijou's Post |
Fort Bouis |
Camp Bradley (1) |
Fort Brasseaux |
James Brown's Post | Joseph Brown's Post | Fort Brule | Brulé Post | Buffalo Lake Post
Campbell's Post | Cedar Fort (1) | Fort aux Cèdras | Chanopa Post | Camp Cook
Post at Crow Creek Agency | Fort Dakota | Fort Defiance (1) | Camp Dewey
Dickson's Post (1) | Dickson's Post (2) | Disaul Post | Dixon's Post (1) | Dixon's Post (2)
Fort Dole | Camp Edwards | Elm River Post | Flandreau Post | French Post | Frost-Todd Post
Fort Hale | Handy's Point Post | Fort Hutchinson | Immell's Post | Fort James
James River Post | Camp Jennison | Fort Kiowa | La Barge's Post | Lac Traverse Post (1)
Lake Traverse Post (2) | LeBlanc's Post | Little Cheyenne Post | Loisel's Post (1)
Loisel's Post (2) | Fort Lookout (1) | Fort Lookout (2) | Fort Lookout (3) | Fort Lookout (4)
Post at Lower Brulé Agency | Camp McClaren | McClellan's Post | McLeod's Post
Fort Manuel (2) | Camp Marshall | Mooers' Post | Moreau-Robar Post
Cantonment Oakwood (2) | Oakwood Post (1) | Ponca House | Prehistoric Indian Village
Camp near Lake Preston | Fort Randall | Fort Recovery | Fort des Roche | Fort la Roche
Rondell's Post | Sieche Hollow Post | Fort Sisseton | Spencer Post | Fort Thompson
Truteau's House | Two Woods Lake Post | Fort Vermillion | Vermillion Post | Fort Wadsworth
Post at Whetstone Agency | White River Post | Fort Yankton
Western South Dakota - page 2
MILITARY FORTS IN THE DAKOTAS
FORT WIKI - SOUTH DAKOTA
Camps of General H.H. Sibley's Sioux Campaign
(1863), various locations
(see also NORTH DAKOTA and MINNESOTA pages)
Federal encampments during the campaign to crush the 1862-63 Sioux Uprising.
Camp Marshall near Big Stone City,
Camp Jennison near Hartford Beach,
Camp McClaren opposite Browns Valley, MN,
Camp Bradley (1) northeast of Sisseton,
Camp Cook near Veblen or Claire City, about 12 miles from Skunk Lake.
Lac Traverse Post (1)
(1817 - 1823), near White Rock
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.
Lake Traverse Post (2)
(1821 - 1827), near White Rock
A Columbia Fur Co. post.
Sieche Hollow Post
(Sica Hollow State Park)
(1844 - unknown), near Sisseton
An American Fur Co. post after 1846. Also called Joseph Brown's Post.
Spencer Fur Post
(1862), near Hartford Beach
A fur trade post located north of Mooers' old post. It was seemingly not harmed during the 1862 Sioux Uprising.
Hazen Mooers' Post
(Hartford Beach State Park)
(1818 - 1824 ?), Hartford Beach
An American Fur Co. post on the west bank of Big Stone Lake. Abandoned sometime between 1824 to 1830. Mooers also operated a post on the Minnesota side of the lake in 1823 (see also).
Martin McLeod's Post
(1843 - 1857), Hartford Beach
An American Fur Co. post. Located just above Mooers' Post. McLeod also operated a post on the Minnesota side of the lake (see also) from 1843-46.
(1865), Hartford Beach
A trading post operated by Moses Moreau and Solomon Robar. Located at Linden Beach two miles downstream (southeast) of Mooers' Post.
NOTE: For other Lake Traverse and Big Stone Lake trade posts see also MINNESOTA page.
Buffalo Lake Post
(1843 - unknown), Marshall County
A fur trade post on the east side of Buffalo Lake, operated by Joseph Brown. Sold to the American Fur Co. in 1846.
(1864 - 1889), near Lake City
A Federal fort built after the Sioux Uprising in Minnesota. Originally called Fort Wadsworth until 1876, renamed to avoid confusion with the fort in New York City, NY. It had two log blockhouses (one has been reconstructed). Many of the stone buildings were restored in the 1930's. Became a state park in 1959. Admission fee. A state marker is on SD 10 north of the park.
Colin Campbell's Post
(1822 - 1828), near Frederick
A Hudson's Bay Co. trading post seven miles southwest of town.
Pierre LeBlanc's Post
(1835 - 1851), near Columbia
Originally a wintering post on the James River. Burned down after LeBlanc left for the summer. Rebuilt by him during the next winter season (1836-37) one mile west from the original site. LeBlanc was killed by Indians in 1837. Later became James Brown's Post (date ?). Also known as Oakwood Post (1).
François Rondell's Post
(1866 - unknown), near Columbia
A trading post located 25 miles northeast of Aberdeen on the James River. A monument is located in Rondell Park.
Elm River Post
(1835 - 1839 ?), Brown County ?
Originally a wintering post that was palisaded. Still occupied in 1839. Exact location undetermined.
(1835 ? - unknown), near Goodwyn
A fur trade post originally operated by Joseph LaFramboise. Later operated by François LaBathe of the Pratte, Choteau and Co. Located on the east side of Two Woods Lake (present-day School Lake ?). Also called Two Woods Lake Post.
William Dickson's Post (1)
(1822 - 1827 ?), near Redfield
A Columbia Fur Co. trading post located on the James River. Also spelled Dixon.
(thanks to John Ludwickson for providing info)
James River Post
(1827 - 1830's), near Redfield
An American Fur Co. trading post. Possibly the same site as Dickson's Post (1).
(1857, 1859, 1862 - 1865), near Arlington
Originally Cantonment Oakwood (2), apparently located near the Oakwood Lakes. Reoccupied in 1859, known as Camp near Lake Preston, then soon renamed. It was again reoccupied during the Sioux Uprising in 1862, and again by the Minnesota Volunteers in 1864-65.
(1822 - unknown), Flandreau
An American Fur Co. trading post operated by Joseph LaFramboise.
(1865 - 1866), near Riverside
A quadrangular stone and log fort located on the west side of the James River at Firesteel Creek. Also known as Fort la Roche or Fort des Roche.
Prehistoric Indian Village
(ca. 1000), Mitchell
Reconstructed lodge of a fortified Indian village. Excavations are ongoing.
(1865 - 1869), Sioux Falls
Built by the Army after the Sioux burned this and other nearby settlements. It had log and stone barracks. Possibly also known as Fort Brookings. Site is on Phillips Ave. between 7th and 8th Streets, marked by a 1941 D.A.R. plaque at the Chamber of Commerce building. The marker erroneously indicates a closure date of 1873, although one of the buildings may have lasted until then.
(website courtesy of Dave Rambow)
Camp George Dewey
(1898), Sioux Falls
A SD National Guard muster camp for the Spanish-American War. Located along the river near Nelson Park, across from the 10th Street viaduct. The state troops left for San Francisco, CA after about two weeks.
(1862 - 1868), Richland
A civilian / militia stockade erected during, or as a result of, the Sioux Uprising in Minnesota. It was dismantled in 1873. Granite monument (1937) at site on the east bank of Brule Creek, north of SD 50.
(thanks to Jeff Barnes for providing info)
(1830 - 1851), near Burbank
An American Fur Co. post located on the east side of the "Kate Sweeny Bend" of the Missouri River, several miles east of the mouth of the Vermillion River. Also known as Fort Vermillion and William Dickson's (Dixon's) Post (2).
(thanks to John Ludwickson for providing info)
Robert McClellan's Trading Post
(1805 - 1806), near Yankton
An independent trading post located just below the mouth of the James River. Still in operation when the Lewis and Clark Expedition came downriver in 1806.
(unknown dates), near Yankton
Possibly an Army post, located east of town at the mouth of the James River.
A civilian stockade erected during the Sioux Uprising. Site located at Broadway and Third Street.
Emanuel Disaul's Trading Post
(1815 - unknown), Springfield
A French-Canadian fur trade post located at the mouth of Emanuel Creek.
An octagonal two-story blockhouse with three guns, built by the local Indian agent during tensions between the Upper Sioux and the Yankton Sioux.
Jean Baptiste Truteau's House
(1794 - 1795), near Marty
A simple log cabin wintering trading house, supposedly the first dwelling in the state built by a white man. Also called Ponca House. Located about one mile upstream of "Old Baldy", about eight miles below the present-day Fort Randall Dam. The exact site no longer exists.
Handy's Point Trading Post
(1843 - unknown), near Pickstown
A trading post was reportedly located at Handy's Point near Fort Randall, according to one source.
(US Army Corps of Engineers - Fort Randall Dam Project)
(1856 - 1892), near Pickstown
Located on the southern side of the dam, on the west side of the Missouri River. This was the longest serving Army post on the Missouri River. Built to replace Fort Pierre (1). It became General Sully's base of operations against the Sioux in 1863 - 1865. During 1870 - 1872 the post was rebuilt at the present site, 1/4 mile from the original location and just downstream. Only the 1875 Post Chapel was spared from the river damming project, the ruins of which were stabilized in 1953 from original plans.The site has interpretive signposts. The Army Corps of Engineers Visitor Center east of the dam has the history and exhibits of the fort.
Frost-Todd Trading Post
(1859 ? - 1861), unknown location
A trading post operated by the Frost, Todd and Co. located on the Missouri River near the Yankton Indian Reservation (probably in Charles Mix County).
Post at Whetstone Indian Agency
(1870 - 1872), near Bonesteel
A Federal stockade with two blockhouses on the Missouri River east of town, 18 miles upriver from the Fort Randall Dam. A subpost of Fort Randall. The site is now underwater.
(1822 - 1830), near Chamberlain
A St. Louis Missouri Fur Co. post built on American (Cedar) Island, previously the site of Fort aux Cèdras (Cedar Fort (1)) (1809 - 1822), which was destroyed by fire. Also called Joshua Pilcher's Post and Fort (Antoine) Brasseaux (1823). Located one mile below town, the site is now underwater. This was also previously the site of Régis Loisel's Post (1) (1802 - 1803).
Micheal Immell's Post
(1811 - 1812), near Chamberlain
A wintering post used by the St. Louis Missouri Fur Co.. Site located north of town.
White River Post
(1830 - unknown), near Oacoma
An American Fur Co. trading post at the mouth of the White River. Also called Brulé Post. It was a subpost of Fort Tecumseh.
(1822 - 1825), Fort Lookout
A Bernard Pratte and Co. fur trade post originally called Fort Lookout (1). It was a 140-foot square palisade with a blockhouse and watch tower. Site is underwater.
(NOTE: Various editions of the SD State Highway Map show a Fort Kiowa (1882) at this location, which is a misprint.)
Fort Lookout (2)
(1831 - 1851), Fort Lookout
A Columbia Fur Co. trade post, also called French Post. From 1840 to 1851 it was called John La Barge's Post, operated by the La Barge, Harkness and Co. It was simply a log house that was not palisaded. Burned and rebuilt at least once. Located on the west bank of the Missouri River about 10 miles upriver from Chamberlain.
Fort Lookout (3)
(1833 - 1843 ?), Fort Lookout
A fur trade post, located near Fort Hale. The site is now underwater. Some archaeologists believe this site may be the same as Fort Lookout (1).
Fort Lookout (4)
(1856 - 1857, 1863 ?), Fort Lookout
An Army post, located on the west bank of the Missouri River about 10 miles above Chamberlain, adjacent to the site of Fort Lookout (2). After it was dismantled, salvageable materials were sent downriver to Fort Randall. The site may have been used as a campsite by Capt. Whitney's troops during the 1863 Sioux Uprising Campaign.
(Lower Brulé Indian Reservation)
(1870 - 1884), near Reliance
Originally named Post at Lower Brulé Indian Agency, or Fort Lower Brulé, located 15 miles south, then moved to the current site one month later, opposite Crow Creek. Renamed in 1878. The exact site, northeast of town, is now underwater. The Officers' Quarters was sold and later became the Taft Hotel in Chamberlain, at King and Main Streets, until 1962. It was moved in 1989 to the vicinity of Exit 263 of I-90, but burned down in 1990.
(Crow Creek Indian Reservation)
(1864 - 1867, 1870 - 1871), Fort Thompson
A Federal 300-by-400-foot stockade located at the mouth of Soldier Creek, originally named Post at Crow Creek Indian Agency. Became a subpost of Fort Sully (2) in 1870. The government turned the fort over to the Crow Creek Agency in 1871. It was dismantled in 1878.
Régis Loisel's Post (2)
(1803 - 1804), near Lower Brule
A St. Louis trader's wintering post located on Goat Island in the Missouri River, near the mouth of Tyler's River (Medicine Creek). The post was burned down in 1810. No trace remains of the island.
Fort Manuel (Lisa) (2)
(1813 - unknown), near Lower Brule
Manuel Lisa transported materiel from his post near present-day Kenel (see page 2) and set up a new post on the "Big Bend" of the Missouri River, probably near Loisel's Post (2).
Fort Defiance (1)
(Lower Brule Indian Reservation)
(1845 - 1851), near Lower Brule
A trading post located on the west side of Medicine Creek near its mouth, established by ex-employees of the American Fur Co. (Harvey, Primeau and Co.). Also called Fort (A.T.) Bouis.
NEED MORE INFO: Louis Bijou's Trading Post (1812) at Landing Creek (location ?); American Fur Co. Little Cheyenne Post (1830 ?) near the mouth of the Little Cheyenne River (location ?).
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com