American Forts: West

WASHINGTON

Fort Alden | Alexander's Blockhouse | American Camp | Anderson Island Post | Camp Angeles
Bahokus Peak Radar Station | Belle Vue Farm | Fort Bellingham | Black River Blockhouse
Blyn Radar Station | Cape Flattery Res. | Cape George Res. | Camp Casey | Fort Casey
Chambers' Blockhouse | Connell's Prairie Blockhouse | Cook's Blockhouse | J. Crockett's Blockhouse
W. Crockett's Blockhouse (a) | W. Crockett's Blockhouse (b) | J. Davis' Blockhouse | Fort Decatur
Fort Dent | Fort Discovery | Fort Duwamish | Fort Eaton | J. Ebey's Blockhouse | Fort Ebey (1)
Fort Ebey (2) | English Camp | Camp Ephraim | Camp Ferry | Fort Flagler | Friday Harbor Radar Station
Camp Green | Camp Hayden | Fort Hayden | Fort Hays | Fort Henderson | Fort Hicks | Fort Kitsap
Fort Lander | Camp Lawton | Fort Lawton | Camp Lewis | Fort Lewis | Fort Lone Tree Point
Fort McAllister | Fort Malikoff | Fort Maloney | Fort Mason (2) | Middle Point Res. | Fort Miller
Camp Muckleshoot Prairie | Camp Murray | Neah Bay Radar Station | Nuñez Gaona | Fort Nisqually
Olympia Blockhouse | Camp Osoyees | Fort Patterson | Camp Pickett | Fort Pike | Fort Posey | Fort Preston
Post on Puget Sound | Fort Puyallup | Fort Raglan | Camp Reynolds | Fort Riggs | Camp Rogers
Fort Rupert | Camp San Juan Island | Post of San Juan Island | Seattle Blockhouse | Fort Skookum
Fort Slaughter | Fort Smalley | Camp Stanley | Camp Fred Steele | Fort Steilacoom | Fort Stevens
Striped Peak Res. | Fort Thomas | Fort Tilton | Fort Townsend | Fort Ward | Fort White
Fort Wilson | Fort Worden

Seattle's Cold War AAA Defenses
(NOT INDEXED)

Eastern and Southern Washington - page 2

WASHINGTON SHORELINE AERIAL PHOTOS

FORT WIKI - WASHINGTON

Last Update: 23/AUGUST/2014
Compiled by Phil and Pete Payette - ©2014 American Forts Network

Nuñez Gaona
(1791 - 1792), Neah Bay
A fortified Spanish settlement that lasted only five months. This was the first white settlement in the state. Site located just north of the main part of town.


¤ HARBOR DEFENSES of CAPE FLATTERY

¤ Fort Hayden (Cape Flattery Military Reservation)
(Makah Indian Reservation)
(1941 - 1943, 1950 - 1952), Cape Flattery, near Neah Bay
Batteries planned here were Battery 132, Battery 133, Battery 250 on Kaitlah Point, and Battery 251. Construction was started on all of them, but the project was canceled early. The HDCP/HECP is near the Battery 251 site. A trail leads to the Battery 132 site, where a modern U.S. Coast Guard radar is currently located.

One or two completed fire-control stations may still exist south along the coast within Olympic National Park.

The Army Signal Corps operated an early warning air defense radar at the Neah Bay Radar Station (1942 - 1945), also known as Station J-55 (SCR-516 radar), one of 65 stations on the Pacific Coast. In 1950 the Air Force operated AN/TPS-1B and AN/TPS-10A radars at Neah Bay, replaced by AN/CPS-4 and AN/CPS-5 radars in 1951. This was LASHUP Site L-34. The Neah Bay station was replaced by the Bahokus Peak Radar Station (Makah AFS) in 1952, which is still in use today by the Air Force and the FAA. There may have been an Army radar station at Bahokus Peak before 1944, or possibly it was an alternate name for the Neah Bay station.


¤¤ HARBOR DEFENSES of JUAN de FUCA STRAIT

¤¤ Camp Hayden (Striped Peak Military Reservation)
(Salt Creek Recreation Area)
(1941 - 1948), Cresent Beach PHOTO GALLERY
Located on Striped Peak are Battery 131 (proposed name Battery Whistler) (1944 - 1948), and Battery 249 (proposed name Battery Peace) (1945 - 1948). A concrete fire-control station is located nearby on Tongue Point. Also once here were an SCR-296A fire-control radar and a Harbor Entrance Control Post (HECP) with an SCR-682 harbor surveillance radar. This HECP was secondary to the Puget Sound HECP at Fort Worden. More info from Clallam County Parks.

¤¤ Camp Angeles
(Lower Elwha Indian Reservation)
(1942 - 1944), Angeles Point
To the east of Camp Hayden was a four-gun 155mm battery (1942 - 1944) on Panama mounts (still exists). Other support structures also still exist.

¤¤ ALSO: Located in Port Angeles were two 8-inch railway guns (1942 - 1944), sited at the west end of present-day 6th Street. Located at Ediz Hook and White Creek were 37mm AMTB batteries.

¤¤ NOTE: Additional fire-control stations associated with this defense are still located at Pillar Point, Twin, Majestic (two radar towers were also here), Gettysburg (private property), Agate Rock, and Angeles Point (two, one now gone). This Harbor Defense was not a separate entity, but a sub-group of Harbor Defenses of Puget Sound. It operated as a joint U.S.-Canadian command, which also included Coast Artillery Defences, Victoria-Esquimalt Harbours in British Columbia (see also).


Blyn Radar Station
(1942 - 1944), near Blyn
A WWII early warning air defense radar station. It was no longer listed as operational after 1944.

Fort Discovery
(1838), Discovery Bay ?
A base of operations for the U.S. Navy's Wilkes Expedition charting the waters of Puget Sound. Exact location undetermined.

Fort Townsend (State Park)
(1856 - 1861, 1874 - 1895), Port Townsend
The entire garrison was transferred to San Juan Island in 1859 during the border dispute, but later returned. The abandoned post was used as a marine hospital during the Civil War. Reactivated after the war. Destroyed by fire in late 1894 and then abandoned. Site retained on the Army rolls until WWII, when it was used as a munitions defusing station. Became a state park in 1953.

Fort Wilson
(1855 - 1856), Port Townsend
An early defense for the town, built by the Army on Point Wilson. Fort Worden was later built at the site (see below).

English Camp
(San Juan Island National Historical Park)
(1846 - 1872), Roche Harbor, San Juan Island
Located on Garrison Bay. Four restored buildings remain and they include a blockhouse. This was the last place within the present-day United States to fly the British flag. Also on the island was the Hudson's Bay Company's Belle Vue Farm (1853 - 1862).

American Camp
(San Juan Island National Historical Park)
(1859 - 1874), near Friday Harbor, San Juan Island
An Army post located south of Friday Harbor. It was renamed Camp Pickett, then Post of San Juan (1863), then Camp Fred Steele (1867), and then to Camp San Juan Island (1868). Another name found in records is Camp Reynolds (date ?). Only two of the 29 buildings still remain. It was established near the Hudson's Bay Company's Belle Vue Farm when the island was the center of a border dispute. Aside from the shooting of a pig at the farm, which caused the "Pig War" (1859), no actual violence took place. Lt. Henry Robert's Redoubt (1859) was built on the ridge slightly east of the camp, using eight naval guns that were carried off of the U.S.S. Massachusetts.

Friday Harbor Radar Station
(1942 - 1944), Friday Harbor, San Juan Island
A WWII early warning air defense radar station. It was no longer listed as operational after 1944.

Fort Bellingham
(1855 - 1860), Bellingham
Originally a settlers' fort, later Federalized in 1856 to protect miners heading to the gold strikes in British Columbia. Troops from here were sent to San Juan Island in 1859. The George Pickett House still stands at 910 Bancroft Street. The town's original name was Whatcom.

Whidbey Island Blockhouses
(Ebey's Landing National Historical Reserve)
(1855), near Coupeville, Whidbey Island
At least 11 blockhouses were built here by settlers for defense against the Haida Indians. Four are still extant and have been restored. These include:
James Davis' Blockhouse, moved in 1915 to Sunnyside Cemetery, now also known as Cook's Blockhouse. Restored in the 1930's by the Ladies of the Roundtable.
Jacob Ebey's Blockhouse, one surviving blockhouse of a four-blockhouse complex (not to be confused with Fort (Isaac) Ebey (1) on Ebey Island). Jacob was the father of Isaac. Restored by the Platt family on their farm property.
John Alexander's Blockhouse, a two-story blockhouse later moved to its present site at the Island County Historical Society Museum. Restored by the American Legion.
John Crockett's Blockhouse, once located on the farm of John Crockett. No remains. Site located near Terry Road and Fort Casey Road just south of town.
Col. Walter Crockett's (Sr.) Blockhouse (a), located on Fort Casey Road near Fort Casey. Re-sited and restored in 1938 by the WPA, it was originally located several hundred yards north of Crockett's Lake. There were originally two blockhouses, built on the diagonal corners of Crockett's house and connected by a pole fence palisade, and thus enclosing Crockett's house. The other blockhouse was sold in 1908 to Ezra Meeker and moved to Seattle for the 1909 Alaska-Yukon Pacific Exposition, purportedly used as the entrance to a restaurant, and then later moved to Point Defiance Park in Tacoma (see below).
(thanks to Lance D. Loomis for providing corrected info)

Information is needed for any additional blockhouses not listed.


¤¤¤ HARBOR DEFENSES of PUGET SOUND
Photo Gallery of Puget Sound's Coastal Defenses by Dan Rowbottom
Harbor Defense of Puget Sound - FORT WIKI

¤¤¤ Fort Whitman (State Game Refuge)
(Deception Pass State Park)
(1909 - 1947), Goat Island
Located in Skagit Bay, off Swinomish Indian Reservation. Located here is Battery Harrison (1911 - 1943). A 37mm AMTB battery was here in WWII. A mine observation station still remains. Deception Pass was mined in WWI and WWII. At the southern shore of Deception Pass was located Anti Motor Torpedo Boat Battery 1A (1942 - 1944). Another 37mm AMTB battery was located at Dugalla Bay on Whidbey Island.

¤¤¤ Fort Ebey (2) (State Park)
(Ebey's Landing National Historical Reserve)
(1942 - 1946), San de Fuca, Whidbey Island
Battery 248 (proposed name Battery Merriam) (1943 - 1946) is located here. To the south of here, between Fort Ebey and Fort Casey, was Anti Motor Torpedo Boat Battery 2 (1943 - 1946) at Ebey's Landing. It is now buried, and is on private property. Two fire-control stations still remain, another lies in ruins on the beach. An SCR-296A radar was once here. Another FC station located at Swantown was destroyed by storm erosion in 2009. The post was transferred to the Navy in the 1950's, then to the state in 1968. The park was open to the public in 1981.

¤¤¤ Fort Casey (State Park)
(Ebey's Landing National Historical Reserve)
(1897 - 1953), Keystone, Whidbey Island
Batteries located here are Battery Schenck (1899 - 1942), Battery Seymour (1899 - 1942), Battery Kingsbury (1902 - 1942) modified into AA (1942 - 1945), Battery Moore (1904 - 1942) modified into AA (1942 - 1945), Battery Worth (1898 - 1942) (current guns from Phillipines in 1963), Battery Parker (1905 - 1918), Battery Valleau (1907 - 1918), Battery Turman (1901 - 1918), Battery Trevor (1905 - 1933) (current guns from Phillipines in 1960), and Battery Van Horne (1905 - 1945). The Admiralty Head Lighthouse was built in 1901, replacing the original 1858 light. Several fire-control stations still remain. Became a state park in 1956. The Seattle Pacific University currently owns most of the old cantonment area, known as the Camp Casey Conference Center, which also includes the Fort Casey Inn, a converted former Officers' Quarters.

¤¤¤ Fort Worden (State Park)
(Friends of Fort Worden)
(1898 - 1953/1969), Port Townsend
Batteries here are Battery Brannon (1901 - 1943), Battery Powell (1901 - 1943), Battery Ash (1900 - 1942), Battery Kinzie (1910 - 1944), Battery Benson (1907 - 1943), Battery Quarles (1900 - 1941), Battery Randol (1900 - 1918), Battery Stoddard (1906 - 1917), Battery Tolles (1905 - 1943) two guns removed in 1918, Battery "Tolles B" (1937 - 1946) two guns from Willapa Bay, Battery Vicars (1902 - 1917), Battery Putnam (1907 - 1945), Battery Walker (1907 - 1946), and AMTB Battery Point Wilson (1943 - 1946) one gunblock is now in the surf. Three 3-inch anti-aircraft fixed-gun emplacements, operational by 1920, are also here. Four mobile 3-inch AA guns were also located on post. The Point Wilson Lighthouse is also here on post, built in 1913. This fort was the headquarters for the Puget Sound Defenses in WWI and WWII, with the HDCP and HECP located here. Harbor mines, anti-submarine nets, and anti-motor torpedo boat booms went across the strait to Fort Casey and Fort Flagler. The park also includes the Puget Sound Coast Artillery Museum, the Commanding Officer's Quarters Museum (operated by the Jefferson County Historical Society), and a Balloon Hangar (1924) that was used for observation balloons. Became an Engineer training post in 1947. The U.S. Navy built and used a separate HECP for harbor defense from 1943 - 1959. The Navy Reserve continued use of the post until 1969. The Army returned with a NIKE missile radar station from 1957 to 1961 (S-93 R), located at Battery Benson. Most of the main post was transferred to state ownership in 1955. The main cantonment area became a State Juvenile Diagnostic Center from 1958 to 1970. Artillery Hill was transferred to the state in 1970. The combined parcels became a state park in 1973. The movie "An Officer and a Gentleman" (1982) was filmed here. Most of the restored quarters and barracks on Officers' Row are available for overnight and short-term stays. Admission fee. A 37mm AMTB was located at Hudson Point. An FC station is still located at Tibbals Bluff. Other FC stations were once located at Beckett Point and at Middle Point (north of Cape George).

¤¤¤ Cape George Military Reservation
(1938 ? - 1944), near Port Townsend
A firing position for a four-gun 12-inch mortar railway battery (emplacement cuts still remain), and another firing position for four 8-inch railguns (Tibbals Bluff). Two FC stations are still here. This was a subpost of Fort Worden.

¤¤¤ Fort Flagler (State Park)
(1897 - 1953), Nordland, Marrowstone Island
Batteries here are Battery Bankhead (1902 - 1942), Battery Wilhelm (1898 - 1942), Battery Rawlins (1899 - 1918), Battery Revere (1899 - 1941) modified into AA (1942 - 1945), Battery Calwell (1904 - 1918), Battery Grattan (1905 - 1918), Battery Lee (1901 - 1918), Battery Downes (1905 - 1946), Battery Wansboro (1906 - 1946) (current guns from Phillipines in 1960), and AMTB Battery Marrowstone (1943 - 1946) mounts in surf. Three 3-inch AA guns were also here. A 37mm AMTB was once located at Portage Canal. Placed in caretaker status in 1937, but reactivated in 1941. Became a state park in 1955. Some of the restored quarters on Officers' Row are available for overnight stays. The nearby Marrowstone Point Lighthouse was built in 1918.

¤¤¤ Fort Ward
(Bainbridge Island Metro Park)
(1901 - 1934/1958), South Beach, Bainbridge Island
Batteries here are Battery Nash (1903 - 1918) private property, Battery Warner (1903 - 1925) private property, Battery Thornburgh (1903 - 1920), and Battery Vinton (1903 - 1920). The post was transferred to the Navy in 1938. Part of the original post later became a state park in 1960. The state park was transferred to Bainbridge Island Metro Parks in June 2011. Several private homes have now been built here outside the park boundary. The mine wharf remains, and the mine-loading room has been relocated.

Several 37mm AMTB batteries were located at Beans Point (nearby) and at Agate Point (at the northern tip of the island across from Suquamish) during WWII.

¤¤¤ Middle Point Military Reservation
(Manchester State Park)
(1901 - 1928, 1942 - 1958), near Manchester
Actually a portion of Fort Ward, located on the Bremerton Peninsula across the Rich Passage. Located here is Battery Mitchell (1903) never armed. A torpedo (mine) storeroom (1901) and mine casemate are also here. Transferred to the Navy in 1938, the post was reactivated and converted to a Navy Supply Depot in 1942. Closed in 1958, part of the reservation later became a state park and part still belongs to the Navy.

A 37mm AMTB battery was located at nearby Orchard Point in WWII.

¤¤¤ Fort Lawton
(Discovery Park)
(1898 - 1967/2005), Seattle
Originally known as Camp Lawton. Temporary shore batteries were built in 1898. Became an assembly camp in 1900 for the Boxer Rebellion in China. Redesignated an Infantry post in 1902 and renamed. Became an Engineer training post in 1927. Became part of the Seattle Port of Embarkation in WWII. As many as 20,000 troops were staged there at a time and a total of 1.1 million troops passed through the installation during and after the war. Some 1150 German POWs were housed there (some are buried in the cemetery), and 5000 Italian POWs passed through on their way to confinement in Hawaii. An SCR-268 radar was located here in WWII. Became regional headquarters of the Puget Sound NIKE missile defense sites 1954 - 1967 (S-90 DC). A 90mm AA gun battery may have been located here in 1952 - 1954. The Air Force also operated air defense radars here in 1960 - 1963. Became a subpost of Fort Lewis in 1968 as an Army Reserve command headquarters. Most of the former post became Discovery Park in 1973. The remaining military post was finally closed in 2005. The FAA still operates an air traffic control radar here. The West Point Lighthouse was built in 1881.

¤¤¤ ALSO: Several 3-inch anti-aircraft guns were located in the Seattle area at the Highland Park playground in West Seattle, and at the Jefferson Park golf course on Beacon Hill. Anti-aircraft searchlights were emplaced at Woodland Park, Fort Lawton, Jefferson Park, Laurelhurst Playground, Froula Playground, and the Grand Army of the Republic Cemetery near Volunteer Park. A barrage balloon battery was at the Delridge Playground in West Seattle. A 40mm AA gun was placed on the tower of the Sears Building on 1st Avenue South.


Fort (Isaac) Ebey (1)
(1855), near Everett
Located on Ebey Island on the Snohomish River eight miles from its mouth. A single-story log blockhouse built by WA Volunteers who later transferred to Fort Alden.
(not to be confused with Jacob Ebey's Blockhouse on Whidbey Island)

Fort Kitsap
(1855), Port Madison, Bainbridge Island
A WA Volunteers blockhouse.

Fort Decatur
(1855 - 1856), Seattle
A two-story two-gun blockhouse, also called Seattle Blockhouse, was built by Marines from the U.S.S. Decatur. Attacked by Indians in January 1856. Site located at 1st Avenue and Cherry Street.

Fort Duwamish
(1855), Seattle
A settlers' blockhouse once located at the base of the Seattle Peninsula, on the property of Luther Collins, just south of the modern power plant. A palisade stretched across the peninsula.


Cold War AAA Defenses of Seattle
(1952 - 1957), Seattle area
Several permanent sites were established for the Army's Anti-Aircraft Artillery (AAA) Gun Site Program, the precursor to the NIKE missile defense program. Four 90mm AA guns and/or four 120mm AA guns were positioned at each site, with troop barracks and other support buildings. Known sites include:
Fort Lawton (1952 - 1954) 120mm guns (battery headquarters only ?), (1952 - 1954) 90mm guns: on post (S-90).
Bainbridge Island (Winslow) (1952 - 1957 ?) 90mm guns: undetermined.
O'Brien (date ?) (guns ?): undetermined (S-41).
Bellevue (Phantom Lake) (date ?) (guns ?): at Boeing Plant (S-12).
Seattle (date ?) (guns ?): undetermined (S-71).
Seattle (date ?) (guns ?): undetermined (S-60).

NIKE missile defense sites (1955 - 1974) are beyond the scope of this website.


Fort Lander
(1856), Sea-Tac
Originally only a blockhouse built by WA Volunteers. Later moved upriver on the south bank of the Duwamish River, and enclosed by a 98-by-58-foot bastioned stockade. Site located one-quarter mile south of the King County Airport administration building.

Black River Blockhouse
(1856), near Sea-Tac
A Federal blockhouse located on the Black River. Undetermined exact location.

Fort Dent (park)
(1855), Tukwila
A Federal blockhouse was once here. Marker at site. Site became a county park in 1968. Operated by the city since 2002.

Fort Henderson
(1856), near Fall City
A temporary blockhouse built by WA Volunteers from Fort Tilton. Located on the Snoqualmie River at Patterson Creek. Also called Fort Patterson.

Fort Tilton
(1855 - 1856), near Fall City
A temporary blockhouse built by WA Volunteers. Used as Northern Battalion headquarters during the Indian War. Site located three miles below the Snoqualmie River falls.

Fort Alden
(1856), Snoqualmie
A temporary blockhouse built by the WA Volunteers, located above the falls of the Snoqualmie River. Jeremiah Borst used the abandoned blockhouse as his home in 1858.

Fort Thomas
(1855), Kent
A temporary Federal two-story blockhouse. Located on the Green River opposite the town.

Camp Muckleshoot Prairie
(Muckleshoot Indian Reservation)
(1856 - 1857), near Newaukum
A Federal two-bastioned stockade and blockhouse located on the White River northeast of Lake Tapps. Possibly also known as Camp Casey. Renamed Fort Slaughter.

Fort Hays
(1856), near Buckley
Also called Connell's Prairie Blockhouse. Actually two blockhouses on a hill overlooking the prairie. Built by WA Volunteers. The fort has been preserved on its original site, located between Buckley and Lake Tapps, on the south-side of the White River.

Fort McAllister
(1855 - 1856), South Prairie
A WA Volunteers blockhouse.

Fort Posey
(1855 - 1856), near Buckley or Sumner ?
A WA Volunteers blockhouse located at the White River crossing (location ?).

Fort Pike
(1855 - 1856), near Buckley or Sumner ?
A WA Volunteers blockhouse located at the White River crossing (location ?).

Fort Maloney
(1855 - 1856), Puyallup
A Federal two-story blockhouse, site located on Meridian Street.

Fort Puyallup
(1856 ?), near Puyallup ?
Located on the military road between Seattle and Vancouver, which was completed in 1860.

Fort White
(1855 - 1856), near Puyallup ?
A WA Volunteers blockhouse located at the emmigrant crossing of the Puyallup River (location ?).

Fort Hicks
(1855 - 1856), near Puyallup ?
A WA Volunteers blockhouse located about 12 miles east of Fort Steilacoom on the Puyallup River. Exact location undetermined, probably east or southeast of town (South Prairie Crossing ?).

Fort Nisqually
(Point Defiance Park)
(1833 - 1862), Tacoma
A Hudson's Bay Co. blockhouse (spelled Nesqually until 1843) originally located at the mouth of the Nisqually River near DuPont (HBC records after 1842). The fort was rebuilt in 1843 by the Puget Sound Agricultural Company (an HBC subsidiary), at a new location about two miles northeast of the original spot. The U.S. government purchased the company land in 1867. By 1934 only the Factor's House and Granary had survived, and were moved to Point Defiance Park in Tacoma and later restored. The bastioned stockade and all other buildings were reconstructed. The history is told at the DuPont Historical Museum. The original site was the first European settlement on Puget Sound. Admission fee. See also Encyclopedia of Washington State History

The Walter Crockett (Sr.) Blockhouse (b), originally from Whidbey Island (see above), was also moved here about the same time (1930's), but apparently no longer exists.

Anderson Island Trading Post
(1841 - unknown), Anderson Island
A Hudson's Bay Company trading post was located here.

Fort Steilacoom
(1849 - 1868), Steilacoom
The first Federal fort on Puget Sound, originally called Post on Puget Sound. Built on land then still owned by the Hudson's Bay Company at Fort Nisqually. Thirty wood frame buildings were erected in 1857 - 1858 to replace the original log buildings, enlarging the post to a 600-foot square complex. In 1861 the garrison left to fight in the Civil War, leaving the Territorial Militia in charge of the fort. Four original restored Officers' quarters remain, located on the grounds of Western State Hospital on Steilacoom Blvd..

Camp Murray (State Military Reservation)
(1890, 1892, 1894, 1898, 1902, 1903 - present), American Lake
Originally a WA National Guard summer training area. Named Camp Ferry in 1890 after the then sitting state governor. Used as a muster camp (Camp Rogers) during the Spanish-American War in 1898. Formally named in 1915. Became a mobilization center and training area for Army Engineers in 1917. Still in use as the present headquarters of the WA state guard. Of interest on post is the Washington National Guard Museum (aka "The Arsenal"). See also 1904 American Lake Maneuvers from Encyclopedia of Washington State History

Camp David S. Stanley
(1917), American Lake
The original proposed site for Fort Lewis. A new site was chosen two and one-half miles southeast two weeks later.

Fort Lewis (U.S. Military Reservation)
(1917 - present), Tillicum
A National Army cantonment training area and demobilization center for the 91st Division. Originally named Camp Lewis until 1927. Several WWI era warehouses still survive. The Red Shield Inn (1918) was built at Camp Green (North Fort Lewis) as a Salvation Army guesthouse, but was bought by the U.S. Army in 1919 and used as an inn until 1972, becoming the Fort Lewis Army Museum in 1973. Gray Army Airfield was originally established in 1921, enlarged and formally named in 1938. The Mt. Rainier Ordnance Depot was established in 1942, closed in 1963. It is now the Fort Lewis Logistics Center. The military base is still active today. See also History of Fort Lewis from the Encyclopedia of Washington State History

Fort Stevens
(1855 - 1856), Yelm
A WA Volunteers blockhouse on Yelm Prairie.

Fort Preston
(1855 - 1856), unknown location
A WA Volunteers blockhouse located on the Michel Fork Nisqually River (location ?).

Fort Eaton
(1855), Lacey
A WA Volunteers stockaded fort with 16 buildings, built on the property of Nathaniel Eaton.

Olympia Blockhouse
(1856), Olympia
A large temporary blockhouse built by WA Volunteers. Became the city jail after 1857. Site located at Capital Park.

Andrew Chambers' Blockhouse
(1855), Olympia
A settlers' blockhouse, located at present-day 6909 Rainier Road. Site marked by a D.A.R. plaque in 1920.


NEED MORE INFO: Fort Miller (1855), a WA Volunteers blockhouse located on Tanalquot Prairie (location ?). Fort Lone Tree Point (1856) was somewhere near Puget Sound.

NOTE: According to Robert Frazer's "Forts of the West", during the 1855-1856 Indian troubles there were a total of 23 settler blockhouses/stockades. Also, there were a total of 35 Territorial Militia blockhouses/stockades, and 7 Regular Army blockhouses/forts. Additional information is needed for those posts not listed here. Possible names (undetermined locations): Camp Ephraim, Fort Malikoff, Fort Mason (2) (?), Camp Osoyees, Fort Raglan, Fort Riggs, Fort Rupert, Fort Skookum, Fort Smalley.

Eastern and Southern Washington - page 2

QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
Updates @ NorthAmericanForts.com

Google