Fort Antonio |
Fort Aspen Hut |
Camp Augur |
Baldwin's Trade Post |
Camp Bettens | Big Pond Station | Camp Bitter Cottonwood | Black Butte Station
Fort Bonneville | Bonneville's Folly | Fort Bridger | Bridger Trading Post | Camp Bridger Pass
Camp Brown | Fort John Buford | Camp Carlin | Fort Carrington | Fort Caspar
Cheyenne Depot | Fort Clay | Fort Connor | Post on Crow Creek | Camp Davis | Camp Devin
Duck Lake Station | Dug Springs Station | Camp Elkins | Fort Fetterman | Fort Halleck
Camp Hat Creek | Horse Shoe Creek Station | Camp Howard | Fort John | Fort Phil Kearny
La Bonte Station | Fort LaClede | Fort Laramie | Fort Mackenzie | Fort McGraw
Fort McHenry | McKinney Depot | Fort McKinney | Camp Marshall | Camp Medicine Butte
Fort Nonsense | Camp Payne | Camp Pelouse River | Camp Pilot Butte | Pine Grove Station
Fort Piney | Fort Platte | Platte Bridge Station | Camp Platte River | Point of Rocks Station
Portuguese Houses | Fort Rawlins | Cantonment Reno | Fort Reno | New Fort Reno (1)
New Fort Reno (2) | Reno Station | Camp Richards | Fort Robinson | Rock Creek Station
Camp at Rock Springs | Rock Springs Station | Fort D.A. Russell | Salt Wells Station
Fort Sanders | Camp Scott | Fort Seminoe | Camp Sheridan | Camp on Snake River
Camp Stambaugh | Fort Steele | Sulpher Springs Station | Fort Supply | Fort Thompson
Camp Walbach | Fort F.E. Warren | Fort Washakie | Washakie Station | Fort William
Camp at Wind River Agency | Camp Wingfield | Fort Yellowstone
FORTS AND FIGHTS OF THE MOUNTAIN WEST
FORT WIKI - WYOMING
Camp Medicine Butte
(1885 - 1887), Evanston
A Federal encampment that protected the Union Pacific Railroad and the mail routes from anti-Chinese rioters.
(State Historic Site)
(1843 - 1878, 1880 - 1890), Fort Bridger
Originally a log stockaded trading post on the Oregon Trail built by Jim Bridger and Luis Vásquez. The Mormons "captured" and used it from 1853 to 1857. It was rebuilt in 1855. The Mormons burned the fort during trouble with the US Army in 1857, and the Federals then took over the ruins and rebuilt it in 1858 to protect the Pony Express and Overland routes. It was rebuilt with stone and logs, with two bastions on opposite corners, with barracks and Officers' quarters. CA and NV Volunteers took over the post in 1862. Re-occupied in 1880 after the Ute Uprising and the Meeker Massacre. Many of the buildings have been restored. The museum is in a restored barracks. Nearby the Jim Bridger Trading Post has been reconstructed.
Another website from GhostTowns.com
(1857 - 1858), near Fort Bridger
Winter quarters for the Federal Army of Utah as they arrived to take over Fort Bridger. Located on the Black's Fork of the Green River, about two miles from Fort Bridger.
(1853 - 1857), Robertson
A Mormon stockaded fort built after they took over Fort Bridger, to supply wagon trains headed to Salt Lake City. It was burned by the Mormons during trouble with the U.S. Army. It was never rebuilt. A marker is at the site one mile west and one mile south of town.
(thanks to Jerry Blanz for providing correct location)
(1857), near Granger
A Federal encampment on Hams Fork.
Rock Springs Station
(1860's), Rock Springs
A fortified stage station on the Overland Trail. A marker is on Springs Drive under the I-80 overpass.
Camp Pilot Butte
(1885 - 1899), Rock Springs
A Federal camp established to restore order after anti-Chinese race riots (September 1885). Also known as Camp at Rock Springs. The former post was then used as a religious school after the Army left.
Salt Wells Station
(1860's), south of Superior
A fortified stage station on the Overland Trail along Bitter Creek.
Point of Rocks Station
(1860's), Point of Rocks
A fortified stage station on the Overland Trail. Ruins remain.
Black Butte Station
(1860's), near Bitter Creek
A fortified stage station on the Overland Trail. Located 14 miles west of Big Pond Station, and five miles west of Black Butte. The site is owned by the Black Butte Coal Company, which can provide a guided tour of the ruins.
Big Pond Station
(1860's), Bitter Creek
A fortified stage station on the Overland Trail. Located 12 miles west of Fort LaClede along Bitter Creek. A detachment of Nevada volunteer cavalry garrisoned the station in the summer of 1865. Attacked and destroyed by Indians in July 1867, but rebuilt.
(1863 - 1869), south of Table Rock
Only ruins remain of the military fort and the adjacent stage station on the Overland Trail along the south bank of Bitter Creek. The site is currently fenced-off. The fort once included a gun tower and rifle pits on a nearby hill.
(thanks to Elizabeth Larson for info)
Dug Springs Station
(1860's), south of Table Rock
A fortified stage station on the Overland Trail near Middle Barrel Springs Canyon. Some remains.
Duck Lake Station
(1860's), south of Table Rock
A fortified stage station on the Overland Trail. No remains.
(1860's), south of Red Desert
A fortified stage station on the Overland Trail. Ruins remain. A detachment of Kansas volunteer cavalry was posted here.
(NOTE: not to be confused with Fort Washakie listed below)
Sulpher Springs Station
(1860's), south of Creston Junction
A fortified stage station on the Overland Trail on Muddy Creek. Garrisoned by a detachment of the Kansas volunteer cavalry in 1865. Attacked by Indians in 1863 and 1865.
Pine Grove Station
(1860's), south of Rawlins
A fortified stage station on the Overland Trail at Miller Hill. Attacked and destroyed by Indians in 1865, but rebuilt. No remains.
Camp Bridger Pass
(1867), south of Sinclair
An Army encampment at Bridger Pass protecting the Overland Trail after Indian attacks. The Bridger Pass stage station was attacked by Indians in 1865 and again in June 1867, destroying the post.
(1868 - unknown), Rawlins
Built to protect Union Pacific Railroad workers.
Fort Fred Steele
(State Historic Site)
(1868 - 1886), Fort Steele
Built to protect Union Pacific Railroad workers and to replace the abandoned Bozeman Trail forts. After the fort was abandoned, local settlers and businesses took up residence here. Only a powder magazine (1891) and various ruins remain, with interpretive signage. The railroad now cuts through the site. A marker is located nearby at the highway rest stop. Artifacts and exhibits are at the Carbon County Museum at 904 West Walnut Street in Rawlins.
(1862 - 1866), Whiskey Gap
An open complex of log cabins, stables, and sod dugouts, built to protect the Overland Trail and the telegraph line. It was never stockaded. Taken over by a ranch operation after the post was abandoned. A log blacksmith shop still remains, although it may not be of military origin. A 1914 D.A.R. monument is in the old post cemetery. Located west of Elk Mountain, the site is private property, since a change-of-ownership in 2005 it is no longer accessible to the general public.
Rock Creek Station
(1860 - unknown), Arlington
A blockhouse station on the Overland Trail. It still remains on Main Street.
(1866 - 1882), Laramie
Originally known as Fort John Buford, but renamed a few months later. It was established for the protection of the railroad workers and the Overland Trail. Calamity Jane was stationed here in 1871 as a scout. A stockade with stone blockhouses was planned but never built. A stone guardhouse and magazine remain in ruins, with a 1914 D.A.R. monument, but most of the site is now a golf course, with the highway bisecting the area. Located two miles south of town, east of the Laramie River. A wooden building still exists, now located in town at LaBonte Park.
(1858 - 1859), near Federal
An Army encampment built to protect the Cheyenne Pass crossing. Site located four miles west of town on Lodgepole Creek.
Fort David A. Russell
(Francis E. Warren Air Force Base)
(1867 - 1948/present), Cheyenne
Built to protect Union Pacific Railroad workers. Located three miles west of town on the north bank of Crow Creek, it was originally named Post on Crow Creek. In 1898 used as a muster post of the 2nd U.S. Volunteer Cavalry. Became a Regular Army mobilization center during WWI. The last cavalry units left the post in 1927. The remaining horses were last sold in 1943. The fort changed its name in 1930 to Fort Francis E. Warren, with the old name transferred to the post in Marfa, Texas. The Air Force took command of the post in 1948. The Warren ICBM and Heritage Museum is on post in the former 1894 Army Commander's Headquarters (Building 210). Many of the brick structures still remain from the 1880's and 1890's. See also Military Yearbook Project by Richard Morgan
(1867 - 1890), Cheyenne
Called Cheyenne Depot or Quartermaster Depot at Cheyenne beginning in 1871. Located midway between Fort Russell and the town. A stone marker is located on Happy Jack Road.
A Spanish-American War state muster-in camp located at the fairgrounds northwest of town, present-day Frontier Park.
(1885), near Pine Bluffs
A temporary Army encampment.
(1845 - 1846), Lingle
An independent fur trade post. It was destroyed by fire. The site was later occupied from 1849 - 1868 by an unfortified trading post operated by James Bordeaux.
(1841 - 1847), Fort Laramie
A competing trading post to Fort Laramie, located across the river. Sold by Lancaster Lupton in 1842 to Sybille, Adams and Co., and they in turn sold it in 1845 to Pratte, Cabanne and Co.. Sold in 1847 to the American Fur Co. who then demolished it. A state marker is located on the road (WY 160) to Fort Laramie.
(National Historic Site)
(1834 - 1890), Fort Laramie
Originally named Fort William, a wooden stockaded trading post built in 1834 by the Rocky Mountain Fur Co. and located on the Oregon Trail. It was sold to the American Fur Co. in 1836. It was rebuilt into an adobe fort in 1841 and renamed Fort John. The U.S. Army purchased the fort in 1849 to guard the Oregon and other trails and the mail routes. The post's official name remained Fort John. However, almost everyone continued to use the popular name "Fort Laramie", in use since 1835. The Army replaced the older structures by 1862 with newer construction. The fort was eventually abandoned in 1890. This was the first permanent trading post in the state. Twenty-one buildings (some restored and some ruins) still remain. Restored buildings include a guardhouse, hospital, Officers' quarters (1849), Cavalry barracks (1874), and sutler's store (1849), which is the oldest building in the state. A stone monument was erected in 1913, and the site became a National Monument in 1938. The site was restored between 1938 and 1965. Admission fee.
(1858), near Fort Laramie
A temporary Army post located northwest of Fort Laramie along the stage line.
Camp Hat Creek
(1876 - 1877), Hat Creek
Built to protect the Cheyenne-Deadwood Trail to the Black Hills goldmines. Some buildings still remain.
(info provided by Watson Parker of the Council on America's Military Past)
Camp Bitter Cottonwood
A temporary Army encampment at Cottonwood Creek.
(unknown dates), Wendover
A military (?) fort located on the North Platte River at Cottonwood Creek.
(info provided by Marshall Sitrin)
Horse Shoe Creek Station
(1860's), near Glendo
A fortified stage and telegraph station on the Overland Trail. Attacked and destroyed by Indians in 1865.
(1862 - 1866), near Douglas
Originally called Detachment at La Bonte Station until 1863 when rebuilt as a stockade. Built to guard a telegraph station on the Oregon Trail. Located 10 miles south of town on the North Platte River at the mouth of La Bonte Creek.
(1892), near Fort Fetterman
A temporary Army summer encampment during the "Johnson County War", a subpost of Fort Niobrara, NE.
(State Historic Site)
(1867 - 1882), near Orpha
Replaced Fort Caspar. Located on La Prele Creek near the junction of the Oregon and Bozeman Trails. It was abandoned by the Army in 1882 but ranchers and wagon trains continued to use the fort until 1886. Became a state park in 1961. Two original buildings remain, now restored. The visitor center is in the former Officers' quarters, and the museum is in the former ordnance storehouse. Admission fee.
Fort Caspar (Museum)
(1855 - 1859, 1862 - 1867), Casper
Located on the south-side of the North Platte River at the emmigrant crossing known as Camp Platte since 1840, later known as Mormon Ferry from 1847 to 1858, then afterward as Platte Bridge. The military post, established in 1855, was first known as Camp Platte River, Fort Clay and Camp Davis until 1858, then renamed Platte Bridge Station from 1862 until 1865. Built to help protect the Oregon Trail and a telegraph line. Attacked by Indians in July 1865 (Battle of Platte Bridge). Rebuilt, renamed, and enlarged in 1866, it was then abandoned and replaced by Fort Fetterman. The buildings and bridge were supposedly burned by the Indians immediately afterward. The fort was reconstructed in 1936 by the WPA, to the 1865 period. A new museum (1983) is on site. Park is operated by the city. Admission fee.
(NOTE: An early clerical error changed the spelling of the town.)
(1852 - 1860's), near Lamont
A trading post established by Charles Lajuenesse (Seminoe) on the Oregon Trail near Muddy Gap. The Mormons used this post as a place of refuge in 1856 while they were caught in an early blizzard at Horse Creek, located to the east of Independence Rock. The site has recently been excavated by the Mormon Church.
(1834 - 1840), near Kaycee
Located at the confluence of the North and South forks of the Powder River 12 miles east of town. Sometimes referred to as Fort Antonio (Montero). This was a complex of cabins surrounded by a palisade. Abandoned due to a large influx of competitive fur-trappers.
(1865 - 1868), near Sussex
Originally named Fort Connor and used as a supply base during Brig. General Patrick Conner's Powder River Campaign. Rebuilt in 1866 into a stockaded log fort with hexagonal blockhouses and renamed. It was abandoned in accordance with a peace treaty with the Indians, and almost immediately burned by them. Mounds of soil trace the outlines of the fort, located on the west bank of the Powder River along the Bozeman Trail. A stone monument (1914) is at the site, located 11 miles north of town.
(correct location provided by Jeff Barnes)
(Veterans' Home of Wyoming)
(1876 - 1894), Buffalo
Originally located three miles south of the former Fort Reno, on the north bank of the Powder River, and called Cantonment Reno or New Fort Reno (2). It was renamed in 1877. Due to unhealthful conditions the post was moved in 1878 to its present location three miles west of town on Clear Creek. The former site remained garrisoned until 1879, however, known as McKinney Depot or Reno Station. A state marker for Cantonment Reno is located three miles south of the Fort Reno site. Fort McKinney became the State Soldiers and Sailors Home in 1905, now known as the Veterans' Home of Wyoming, located at 700 Veterans Lane, about two miles west of the Fort and Main Streets intersection. Several original buildings still remain, including the 1880 post hospital (now used for state offices), the 1893 stable (now a garage), and the 1878 barracks (now remodeled). Other former post buildings may still be located in and around town. Of interest in town is the Jim Gatchell Memorial Museum at 100 Fort Street (admission fee).
(1892 - 1895, intermittent), Arvada
After its initial occupation during the "Johnson County War", this post was reoccupied every summer as a subpost of Fort Robinson, NE. Site located on the Powder River north of town.
(1878), Crook County
A temporary Federal post originally located on the Little Missouri River south of Alzada, MT, then relocated to Oak Creek on the south-side of the Belle Fourche River, north of Aladdin, before it was abandoned.
Fort Phil Kearny
(State Historic Site)
(1866 - 1868), near Story
Built to protect the Bozeman Trail. It was first known as Fort Carrington and New Fort Reno (1), originally intended to replace Fort Reno. The "Fetterman Massacre" site (December 1866) is located about two miles away. Almost continuously attacked by Indians, the 18-acre stockaded fort was abandoned in accordance with a peace treaty with the Indians. The Cheyenne burned it down soon afterward. Reconstructed partial stockade and visitor center/museum on site. Admission fee.
(Sheridan VA Medical Center)
(1899 - 1918), Sheridan
A training camp during the Spanish-American War and World War I. Became a Veterans Administration Hospital in 1922, with about 75 of the original buildings remaining.
(Yellowstone National Park)
(1886 - 1918), Mammoth Hot Springs
Located on Beaver Creek, it was established to protect the National Park from poachers and vandals. Originally called Camp Sheridan until 1891 when permanent structures were erected. The last of Camp Sheridan's original buildings burned down in 1964. The remaining buildings of Fort Yellowstone serve the Park's administration staff. The walking tour begins at the Albright Visitor Center.
Camp on the Snake River
(1879 - 1883), near Jackson ?
A Federal encampment on the Snake River.
An independent trading post supposedly built by Capt. Benjamin Bonneville on Horse Creek that was abandoned a few months after construction was started. It was described as a square stockade with two blockhouses in diagonal corners, according to one source, but was probably only small crude log huts. Rival traders called it Fort Nonsense and Bonneville's Folly.
(Wind River Indian Reservation)
(1871 - 1909), Fort Washakie
Built to protect the reservation created for the friendly Shoshonis in 1868. It also guarded nearby mining settlements. The post was originally located in Lander and known as Camp Augur (1869) (aka Camp at Wind River Indian Agency), a subpost of Fort Bridger, and then renamed Camp Brown in 1870 as an independent post. The post was moved in 1871 to its present location when the Indian Agency also moved. The fort was renamed in 1878 after Shoshoni Chief Washakie, who was buried near here in 1900. Since 1913 the old fort itself has been used as the Shoshoni Indian Agency headquarters. A few of the original military buildings remain, including the Old Blockhouse, built in 1869, and used by the Agency employees for protection from 1872 - 1876.
(1857 - 1858), Lander
Originally named Fort Thompson, built as winter quarters for the troops building a wagon road to Oregon to bypass Utah and the Mormons. Site located two miles northeast of town.
Baldwin's Trade Post
(1867 - 1869), Lander
A trading post built and operated by Major Noyes Baldwin, located on Baldwin's Creek. Abandoned but not destroyed. Reconstructed or restored, it is now operated by the Museum of the American West. The Army's Camp Augur was built nearby in 1869 (see above).
(1870 - 1878), Atlantic City
Built to protect gold miners. Located in Smith's Gulch, three miles east of town.
Fort Aspen Hut
(1856 ?), near South Pass City
Located near the Overland/Oregon Trail south of town, east of the South Pass, near the "Burnt Ranch". Exact location has been lost to history. Col. Frederick Lander camped near the abandoned post in 1857 and later established "Mile Post Zero" to begin the "Lander Cutoff" of the Oregon Trail in 1859.
NEED MORE INFO: Fort McHenry (date ? and location ?), Fort Piney (date ? and location ?), both possibly trading posts. Federal Camp Pelouse River (1858) (location ?).
Stockade Creek in eastern Weston County. Fortress Mountain in Park County. Fortification Creek in northern Johnson County.
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com