Northern Ontario (East)

Abitibi House | Abitibi River Posts | Acacoutishendaw Post | Fort Albany | Albany Post
Attawapiskat Post | Batchawinna Bay Post | Bayley's Island Fort | Beeman's Post
Biscotasing Post | Brunswick House | Capoonacagami Posts | Capoonacaugamy Post
Cappoonicagomie Post | Capusacasee Posts | Capusco River Post | Chapleau Post
Chickney Post | Chickney Creek Post | Devil's Island Post | English River Post | Flying Post
Frederick House | French River Post | Ghost River Post | Gogama Post | Green Lake Posts
Hannah Bay Post | Hayes Island Post | Henley House | Island Falls Post | Kapisko Post
Kapusko Post | Kenogamissi Posts | Killarney Post | Kuckatush Post | Fort La Cloche
La Cloche Post | Fort La Ronde | Lake Nipissing Posts (1) | Langue de Terre Posts
Little Current Post | Long Portage Post | Mamainse Point Firing Range | Mamainse Post
Mamattawa Post | Matachewan Post | Matawagamingue Post | Mattagami Posts (1)(3)
Mattagami Post (2) | Mattawa House | Mattice Post | Meashaguagamy Lake Posts
Merry's House | Mesagami Lake Post | Mesaugamee Post | Meshipicoot Post
Metagami Lake Posts | Micabanish Post | Fort Michipicoten (1) | Michipicoten Posts (2)(3)
Misinabee Lake Posts | Missanabie Post | Missinaibi Lake Posts | Mississagi Post
Mississagua Post | Mitchell's House | Fort Monsipi | Fort Monsoni | Moose Factory
Moose Fort | Moosonee Post | Nagagamisis Lake Post | New Post | New Brunswick House
Nicolet's Post | Nipissing Lake Post (2) | Pagwa River Post | Peterbell Post | Petobia Lake Post
Pisquochagama Post | Fort Ste. Anne | Fort St. Germain | Fort St. Joseph | Fort St. Louis
Sault Ste. Marie Posts | Shebahonaning Post | Soo Locks AA Defences | Sowewaminicaw Post
Stoney Creek | Sturgeon River House | Sudbury Post | Temagami Post | Temagamong Post
Timagami Post | Timmins Post | Wanapitei Lake Post | Wanatawongaw Post
Wapiscogami House | Wapiscogamy House | Wascobar Lake Post | White River Post
Whitefish Lake Posts | Yellow Perch Post

Southern Ontario (West) - page 1 | Southern Ontario (East) - page 2
Northern Ontario (West) - page 4

Last Update: 26/DECEMBER/2018
Compiled by Pete Payette - �2018 American Forts Network

NOTE: This page covers sites east of the 85th West Meridian. Post name spellings are per the HBC Archives and the "National Atlas of Canada" (1974).

French River Post
(French River Provincial Park)
(1827 - unknown), near French River
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located at the mouth of the French River.

Jean Nicolet's Post
(1624 ? - 1633), Lake Nipissing
A French trader's cabin and trading house located somewhere on the shore of Lake Nipissing.

Lake Nipissing Posts (1)
(Algonquin Provincial Park)
(1825, 1827), Lake Nipissing
An independent post was located on the south shore of the lake at the French River outlet in 1825. Another independent British trade post was located at the mouth of the Sturgeon River near Sturgeon Falls, or Cache Bay, in 1827. Another post (date ?) was located on either Sandy Island or Burnt Island at the French River outlet along the south shore of the lake. Another post (date ?) was located on the French River near Dokis.

Beeman's Post was located on the south shore of Lake Nipissing, near Sandy Island, at the mouth of an unnamed creek (Wigwam Bay ?) as noted on an 1832 map.

Sturgeon River House (Museum)
(1826, 1831 - 1835, 1848 - 1879, 1880 - 1882), Sturgeon Falls
Site of a Hudson's Bay Co. post (HBC records cover only 1831 - 1835) on the west bank of the Sturgeon River, two kilometres from Lake Nipissing. Also known as Nipissing Lake Post (2). Originally located on Garden Island, it had replaced Fort La Ronde. It was relocated to the north shore of Lake Nipissing in 1831, then relocated again in 1848 to its present site. The current replica post was built in 1967.

Fort La Ronde
(1780's ? - 1821), North Bay
A North West Co. trading post on LaVase Island, originally built by Denis de La Ronde. It was closed in 1821 and the post was moved to Garden Island on the Sturgeon River following the merger of the North West and the Hudson's Bay Companies. The fort reportedly burned down sometime after 1821.

Mattawa House
(1828, 1837 - 1908), Mattawa
Trading in furs at this junction of historic canoe routes probably began during the French regime. At intervals during the 1820's and 1830's Chief Trader John Siveright, commanding the Hudson's Bay Company's post at Fort Coulonge, sent men to trade here. In 1837, primarily to counteract trading by lumbermen, the Company established a permanent post. Its original site was chosen by the Company's governor, George Simpson, but before 1843 it was moved to a new site (HBC records cover 1868 - 1906). In later years, faced with diminishing fur trade, the post supplied its former rivals the lumbermen and turned to general trade in the community which grew around it. The post was closed in 1908. Marker located on the north side of Main Street (Road 533) just west of the Mattawa River bridge.

Temagamong Post
(1834 - 1941), Lake Temagami
The first Hudson's Bay post on Lake Temagami was established on the south shore of Temagami Island in 1834 under Chief Trader Richard Hardisty, the father-in-law of Lord Strathcona. It was essentially an outpost of the Company's larger establishment on Lake Timiskaming in the Ottawa Valley. Also known as Temagami (originally Timagami), the post was not a large centre of trade and, in its early days, was abandoned several times. However, in these instances the consequent establishment of rival traders induced the Company to reopen the post. In the 1870's it was moved to Bear Island (HBC records begin 1932).

Wanapitei Lake Post
(unknown dates), Wanapitei Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Sudbury Post
(1888 - 1902), Sudbury
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Whitefish Lake Posts
(1824 - 1887/1896), near Whitefish and Naughton
The Hudson's Bay Company had established a fur trading post on the western shore of Whitefish Lake by 1824, rebuilt or relocated in 1827. It was hoped that a depot adjacent to the portage route to Wakami Lake would help prevent independent traders in Michigan, Wisconsin, and southern Ontario from encroaching on trade north of the French River. In this, the post was reasonably successful. In 1887 the Company dismantled the building and moved it to Naughton (Walden) so that it would be closer to the Canadian Pacific Railway line to Sault Ste. Marie. With the development of lumbering and mining in the region the fur trade declined in significance, and in 1896 the post was closed (HBC records cover 1888 - 1897). Marker located on Route 55 in Naughton, about 17 km southwest of Sudbury.

An independent British trade post was located nearby in 1830.

Killarney Trading Post
(1820 - unknown), Killarney
In 1820 the fur trader Etienne de la Morandi�re moved here, then known as Shebahonaning. He cleared land, planted crops, and even imported cattle. The remote settlement he founded continued to develop over the years despite the fact that until Highway 637 opened in 1962 it was accessible only by water. Marker located on the grounds of the municipal building at 31 Commissioner Street.

Little Current Trading Post
(1856 - 1859), Little Current
In 1856 the Hudson's Bay Company, faced with decline in trade at Fort La Cloche on the mainland, obtained permission to establish a post at Little Current. A substantial log building, this community's first European structure, was built near here in 1856-57 by George McTavish, the clerk in charge of La Cloche. However, opposition from some Indians and resident missionaries to what they considered encroachment on the Indian Reserve caused the government to rescind the Company's license in 1859 before actual trading began. In 1868 the building was purchased by G.B. Abrey for use as a residence. Twice remodelled, it was destroyed by fire in 1942. Marker located on the southwest corner of Manitowaning Road at Water Street on a post against the side of a building

Fort La Cloche
(1790 - 1888), near Massey
Originally a North West Co. and then a Hudson's Bay Co. post (La Cloche Post). Rebuilt or relocated in 1808. Probably once located on Great La Cloche Island. Later located on the mainland near La Cloche Lake (HBC records cover 1825 - 1888). The history of the post is interpreted at the Massey Area Museum at 160 Sable Street.

Green Lake Posts
(1827 - unknown, 1895),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post (HBC records cover only 1895).

An independent British trade post was also located nearby (date ?).

Biscotasing Post
(1887 - 1901), Biscotasing
A Hudson's Bay Co. post (HBC records begin 1895). Burned down in 1888 and rebuilt.

Mitchell's House
(1827), near Blind River
An independent British trade post located at or near the mouth of the Blind River.

Mississagua Post
(1799 - unknown, 1872 - 1899), Mississagi Bay
A North West Co. post at the mouth of the Mississagi River, becoming a Hudson's Bay Co. post in 1821 (HBC records begin 1872). Also spelled Mississagi.

Fort St. Joseph (National Historic Site)
(1796 - 1812), St. Joseph Island FORT WIKI
Ruins remain here at the southern point of the island. It was built to protect the fur trade and to consolidate British influence in the Upper Great Lakes region. It consisted of a bastioned earthwork, with a large blockhouse barracks, similar to Fort Malden, and a stone magazine, kitchen, two storehouses, Officers' quarters, and guardhouses. The guns were mounted in the river-facing bastions only. The British captured Fort Mackinac, Michigan in July 1812, and then abandoned Fort St. Joseph. The empty fort was burned by American forces in July 1814. The North West Company also had a post here at the time, and it was also destroyed by the Americans. It was the westernmost British outpost in Upper Canada at the time. After Fort Mackinac was returned to the United States, the British garrison moved to Drummond Island, until that island was also later awarded to the Americans. The supply base at Penetanguishene was then established further south.

Sault Ste. Marie Posts
(1750 - 1761, 1768 - 1867), Sault Ste. Marie FORT WIKI
Originally a French fort which became British in 1761. An independent British trade post was later established here in 1768.

The North West Co. blockhouse was built here in 1797 (site at the eastern end of the Canadian Locks off Huron Street). It was destroyed by the Americans in July 1814, but it was later rebuilt. The Hudson's Bay Co. took over the post in 1821 (HBC records cover 1818 - 1864). The so-called "Clergue Blockhouse" (FORT WIKI) is an 1819 NWC stone magazine, with a log upper story that was added in 1894 by Francis H. Clergue of St. Mary's Paper Co. for use as his private residence. It was originally located on the St. Mary's Paper plant site, adjacent to the Canadian Canal, but was relocated in 1996 to 831 Queen Street East, adjacent to the Ermatinger Old Stone House (NHS). See also Canadian Register of Historic Places. The North West Company Lock (1797) was replicated by Francis Clergue in 1896, located at the foot of Huron Street on the St. Mary's Paper site. Of interest in town is the Sault Ste. Marie Museum at 690 Queen Street East, with exhibits on the city's military heritage.

Soo Locks WWII and Cold War AAA Defences
(1942 - 1944, 1951 - 1960), Sault Ste. Marie
The Americans wanted to protect the vital Soo Locks against a feared German air threat from the Hudson and James Bays. The 100th Coast Artillery AA Regiment took up post on the Canadian side of the St. Mary's River in April 1942, employing two four-gun 90mm AA batteries, one west of the Canadian Locks at the Algoma Steel Factory at Steelton, and the other east of the locks (a third battery was located on the American side of the border). Barracks were constructed at the Exhibition Grounds in between the two battery sites. An AA searchlight battery (15 60-inch lights) was also deployed, taking up positions on both sides of the river. The 339th Barrage Balloon Battalion (18 combat balloons) also took up positions. Troops of the 131st Infantry Regiment took up guard posts at key locations on both sides of the border. RCMP troopers also guarded facilities on the Canadian side. A total of 68 .50-caliber AA machine guns were emplaced at various locations on both sides of the border. Under local American operational command from Fort Brady in Michigan, the Royal Canadian Army's 40th AA Battery (Heavy) took up post in August 1942 at Steelton, initially employing four 90mm AA guns on loan from the U.S. until their own 3.7-inch AA guns and equipment arrived in November. The Mamainse Point AAA Firing Range, located 62 miles north on Highway 17, was used by both forces for service practice. The American 100th CA AA Reg. was replaced by the 110th Coast Artillery Group in April 1943, composed of the 162nd, 196th, and 223rd Battalions. They were later replaced by the 427th AAA Battalion (Composite). The Canadian 40th AA Bat. was withdrawn in December 1943. The American AA guns were withdrawn in January 1944. (see also MICHIGAN page)

The U.S. Army's 671st Signal Air Warning Company established a chain of four early warning air defence radar stations (SCR-271) in August 1942, located far to the north along the northern railroad route at Armstrong, Nakina, Hearst, and Cochrane, with company headquarters camp located in rented quarters at a local inn at Kapuskasing. Another radar site was proposed at Sioux Lookout but was never built. All of the remaining American defences and troops were withdrawn from Canadian soil by February 1944.

Between 1951 - 1960 the Royal Canadian Artillery's 128th AA Battalion was posted here for joint air defence with the American's 8th AAA Battalion (until 1958) and 2/68th Air Defense Artillery (75mm Skysweepers) (1958 - 1960). No NIKE missiles were emplaced here.

Batchawinna Bay Post
(1818 - unknown), Batchawana Bay
A North West Co. post, relocated in 1819.

The Hudson's Bay Co. later established Batchewana Post here (1868 - 1869).

Mamainse Post
(1828 - unknown), near Pancake Bay
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located northwest of Batchawana Bay.

Michipicoten Posts (2) (3) (Provincial Park)
(1714 - unknown, 1766, 1796 - 1904), Michipicoten River
Fort Michipicoten (1), originally a French trade post, was built here in 1714.

An independent British trade post was established in 1766.

The Hudson's Bay Co. established a post here in 1796, relocated in 1816 (HBC records cover 1797 - 1901). Ruins still remain. Located about eight km southwest of Wawa.

A North West Co. post (date ?) was also here.

White River Post
(1888 - 1901), White River
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Capoonacagami Posts
(1815 - 1828), Kabinakagami Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post (HBC records begin 1822) located on the northeast arm of Kabinakagami Lake. Also spelled Cappoonicagomie or Capoonacaugamy. Also known as Mamattawa Post.

A North West Co. post was here in 1816.

Petobia Lake Post
(unknown dates), Cameron Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. subpost of Capoonacagami Post, located on the south shore.

Nagagamisis Lake Post ?
(Nagagamisis Provincial Park)
(unknown dates), Nagagamisis Lake
An independent (?) trade post.

Meshipicoot Post
(1777), near Wabatong ?
An independent British trade post, located somewhere between Kabinakagami Lake and Missinaibi Lake.

Chapleau Post
(1884 - 1889), Chapleau
A Hudson's Bay Co. subpost of Michipicoten Post (4). An HBC Store was established here in 1886 - 1892 (HBC records cover 1888 - 1900).
(thanks to Ian Macdonald for correct dates)

Metagami Lake Posts
(1803 - unknown), Dog Lake, near Missanabie
A Hudson's Bay Co. subpost of Michipicoten Post (4) (HBC records included with Michipicoten Post). Also spelled Mattagami (2).

A North West Co. post (date ?) was also here.

Missanabie Post
(1892 - 1901, 1930 - 1935), Missanabie
A Hudson's Bay Co. post. The post was later re-established.

Misinabee Lake Posts
(Missinaibi Provincial Park)
(1800 - unknown, 1875 - 1909), Missinaibi Lake
A North West Co. post located on the Missinaibi River, near the mouth of the Hay River. Also spelled Missinaibi.

A Hudson's Bay Co. post was also located nearby (date ?) around the same time, on the northeast arm of the lake. Later re-established (HBC records cover 1875 - 1909).

Peterbell Post
(Missinaibi Provincial Park)
(1932 - 1938), Peterbell
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

New Brunswick House
(Missinaibi Provincial Park)
(1788 - 1878), Brunswick Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located on the northwest arm of Brunswick Lake, replacing Brunswick House. Also known as Micabanish Post.

A North West Co. post was located here in 1796, relocated in 1812.

Meashaguagamy Lake Posts
(unknown dates), Opasatika Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. subpost of New Brunswick House, located on the western shore.

A North West Co. post (date ?) was also here.

Mattice Post
(Missinaibi Provincial Park)
(1929 - 1941), Mattice
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Long Portage Post
(Missinaibi Provincial Park)
(1895 - 1901),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Missinaibi River at the 50th Parallel, upstream from Brunswick House.

Wapiscogami House
(Missinaibi Provincial Park)
(1776 - 1791),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Missinaibi River just above the 50th Parallel, near (?) the mouth of the Pivabiska River. Also spelled Wapiscogamy. Also known as Brunswick House. Replaced by New Brunswick House located further upstream.

Capusacasee Posts
(Chapleau - Nemegosenda River Provincial Park)
(1820 - unknown), near Elsas
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located on Kapuskasing Lake.

A North West Co. post was also here (date ?).

Flying Post
(1800 - 1895),
A North West Co. post located on the Groundhog River, just downriver from Kukatush Lake. Also known as Acacoutishendaw Post (also spelled Kuckatush). Became a Hudson's Bay Co. post after 1821 (HBC records begin 1823).

Gogama Post
(1931 - 1950's), Gogama
A Hudson's Bay Co. post (HBC records cover 1931 - 1933). The town was first settled in 1917.

Mattagami Posts (1) (3)
(1794, 1814 - 1895), Mattagami Lake
Originally an independent British trade post, or a North West Co. post.

A Hudson's Bay Co. post was located here in 1814 (HBC records begin 1816). Also spelled (or known as) Matawagamingue after 1817.

Kenogamissi Posts
(1794 - 1822), Kenogamissi Lake
Hudson's Bay Co. employees from Frederick House, 64 km to the northeast, established an outpost here to counter the fur trading activities of the North West Co. in the area, and it succeeded so well that in 1812 it became the chief post and Frederick House the subsidiary. Throughout its existence, it engaged in spirited competition with the Nor'Westers on Mattagami Lake and Kukatush Lake, some 51 km to the south and west, respectively. In 1822, following the union of the rival companies, Kenogamissi was closed (HBC records end 1821) and the business of the district conducted thereafter from the establishments of Mattagami and Flying Post (formerly Kukatush). Marker located at the public boat access area beside The Cache Campground on Kenogamissi Lake, off Highway 144, southwest of Timmins.

A North West Co. post was also here (date ?).

Langue de Terre Posts
(1723 - 1804, 1786 - 1789), near Matachewan ?
Two independent trade posts in close proximity, located on the west branch of the Montr�al River. The first post was originally built in 1723 by French traders operating out of Fort T�miscamingue / Timiskaming, and by 1786 was manned by independent British (Scots) traders out of Montr�al. It was sold to the North West Company in 1795. The British traders (NWC and HBC) often referred to the post as the Sowewaminicaw Post (or Settlement) (various spellings), and the local First Nations (Ojibwe) knew it in their language as the Yellow Perch Post.

The second post was established nearby (exact location undetermined) in 1786 by independent Canadian trader Eustache Trottier Desrivi�res Beaubien from Lac des Deux Montagnes, in a bid to draw trade away the Timiskaming district posts. Fierce competition forced his withdrawal in 1789.

Matachewan Post
(1867 - 1890 ?), Matachewan
A Hudson's Bay Co. post (HBC records cover only 1890), located eight kilometres north of the present town. No remains, a church is now located on the site.

Abitibi House
(1800 - unknown), Lake Abitibi
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located on the west shore of the lower (western) portion of the lake.

A North West Co. post was also here in 1801.

Frederick House
(1785 - 1821), Barbers Bay
A Hudson's Bay Co. post named after a son of King George III, established to prevent Canadian fur traders in the Abitibi region from intercepting the passage of furs to Moose Fort (Moose Factory) on James Bay. Throughout its operation it encountered intense, occasionally violent competition, particularly from the rival North West Co. on nearby Devil's Island. As a result it never flourished (HBC records end 1805). After its manager, two labourers and a number of native people were murdered during the winter of 1812-13, Frederick House declined further and was no longer permanently staffed. The post was finally abandoned when the merger of the Hudson's Bay and North West companies effectively ended the struggle for control of trade in the area. Marker located on Local Road 610.

Devil's Island Post
(1792 - 1812), near Night Hawk Lake ?
An independent Canadian fur trade post built in competition with the HBC's Frederick House. It was taken over by the North West Company in 1795, and was closed in 1812. Also known as Wanatawongaw Post.

Timmins Post
(unknown dates), near Timmins
A Hudson's Bay Co. post. The former Hollinger Gold Mine company town was founded in 1912 after the region's 1909 Porcupine Gold Rush.

Pisquochagama Post
(1784 - unknown), near Clute ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Abitibi River.

Island Falls Post
(1929 - 1930), Island Falls
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Abitibi River.

New Post
(1895), near Fraserdale
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Abitibi River at the 50th Parallel.

Mesackamy Lake Post
(1777 - 1778),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Mesagami Lake Post
(Kesagami Provincial Park)
(1777 - 1816),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post (HBC records cover only 1815 - 1816). Also spelled Mesaugamee.

Hannah Bay Post
(1803 - unknown), Hannah Bay
A North West Co. post located on the east side of the mouth of the Harricanaw River.

Abitibi River Posts
(1800 - unknown),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located at the confluence of the Moose and Abitibi Rivers.

A North West Co. post was also here in 1800.

Moose Factory (National Historic Site)
(1673 - 1970), near Moosonee
The second oldest post of the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC records begin 1730), also known as Moose Fort, was built at the mouth of the Moose River on Hayes Island (aka Factory Island) by Governor Charles Bayly. It was a 100-foot square stockade with four bastions. The French under the Chevalier de Troyes captured it in June 1686 - 1693, and again in 1694 - 1713, naming it variously Fort St. Louis, Fort Monsipi, and Fort Monsoni. Though restored to Britain in 1713 by the Treaty of Utrecht, the post was not re-established until 1730-32. Largely destroyed by fire in December 1735, it was rebuilt over the following two years. Long the HBC's principal establishment on James Bay, its isolation was ended in 1932 by the completion of the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway to Moosonee. Structures remaining include the Staff House (1850) (Canadian Register of Historic Places), blacksmith shop (1740), and the powder magazine (1865), which is the only stone building on the island. The Staff House was still being used as an HBC staff residence until turned over to the Ontario Heritage Trust in December 1977. Nearby is St. Thomas Church (1860) which was built by the HBC. See also Historic marker

The French fur company R�villon Fr�res had established a store here in 1903, directly across the river from the HBC. The R�villon Museum, located nearby, explains the history of "The French Company" (Compagnie du Nord), established in 1682 by French ex-HBC employees.

The North West Co. established Hayes Island Post here in 1800.

Moosonee Post
(1938 - 1941), Moosonee
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Wascobar Lake Post
(1790 - unknown), near Trilsbeck Lake ?
A North West Co. post.

English River Post
(1884 - 1941), Mammamattawa
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located on the Kenogami River at the confluence of the Nagagami and Kabinakagami Rivers.

Pagwa River Post
(1938 - 1940), Pagwa River
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Fort St. Germain
(1714),
A French trade post located at the confluence of the Albany and Kenogami Rivers. An outpost of Fort Michipicoten (1). Abandoned after being discovered by HBC trappers from Fort Albany.

Henley House
(1743 - 1754, 1766 - 1816, 1870 - 1876),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located at or near the confluence of the Albany and Kenogami Rivers. Attacked and burned by Indians in 1754 or 1755. Attacked again by the French in 1759. Relocated in 1766 to a new site on an island in the Albany River eight miles downstream. Burned in 1782 but rebuilt.

A new "Henley House" was later re-established in 1870 in the same general area.

Ghost River Post
(1938 - 1941), Ghost River
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located on the Albany River, near the mouth of the Cheepay River.

Fort Albany
(1675, 1683 - 1693, 1697 - 1714, 1721 - 1941), Old Fort Albany
Originally known as Bayley's Island Fort in 1675, a Hudson's Bay Co. post (HBC records begin 1692) located near the mouth of the Albany River on James Bay. Known as Albany Post or Albany Fort after 1683. It was a strong work with four bastions and 43 guns. The French captured it and held it from June 1686 - October 1689, and again in 1692 - 1693, naming it Fort Ste. Anne. The HBC reacquired the post in 1693, becoming the only operational HBC post between 1697 to 1714. Rebuilt/relocated in 1721. The HBC later moved downriver to (New) Fort Albany.

Chickney Creek Post
(1750 - unknown, 1854 - 1901), near Kashechewan
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located at the mouth of Chickney Creek on James Bay, just north of the Albany River. Also later known as Chickney Post (HBC records cover 1854 - 1901).

Capusco River Post
(1750 - unknown, 1938 - 1941),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located at the mouth of the Kapiskau River on James Bay. Also later known as Kapisko Post (HBC records cover 1938 - 1941). Also spelled Kapusko.

Attawapiskat Post
(1903 - 1941), Attawapiskat
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located at the mouth of the Attawapiskat River on James Bay.


NEED MORE INFO: Hudson's Bay Company's Merry's House (1810 - 1830) (location ?).
Towns / Villages:

Southern Ontario (West) - page 1 | Southern Ontario (East) - page 2 | Northern Ontario (West) - page 4

QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com