Eastern Québec

Anticosti Island Fort | Ashuapmuchuan Post | Baie Comeau Post | Bersimis Post | Fort Bic
Blanc Sablon Post | Fort Chicoutimi | Chicoutimi Post | Chippishaw Post
Fort Choumouchoine | Cocosho Post | Cormoran Post | Dégelis Fort | Fort Esquimaux River
Fox River Radar Station | Godbout Posts | Fort Gros Mékatina | Fort Haldimand
Half-Way Post | Fort Ingall | Île du Havre Fort | Isle de Jérémie Post | Jérémie's Post
Fort Lac Saint Jean | Lake St. John Post | Fort Listuguj | Fort Maignant | Fort Manicouagan
Mekatina Post | Fort Métabetchouan | Métabetchouan Post | Fort Mille Vaches | Fort Mingan
Mingan Post | Mingan Seigniory Post | Fort Moisie | Muskwaro Post | Mutton Bay Post
Nabisipi Post | Fort Naskapis | Natashkwan Post | Fort Nikabau | Nontascouanne Post
Fort Peninsula | Percé Battery | Peribonka Post | Pointe Bleue Posts | Fort Pontchartrain (1)
Portneuf Post | Fort Prével | Fort Ramsay | Fort Rivière du Loup | Fort Rivière des François
Romaine Post | Fort Saint Augustin | St. Augustine Posts | St. George Radar Station
Fort Sept Îles | Seven Islands Post | Tadoussac Posts | Le Vieux Fort

Southern Québec - page 1 | Québec City - page 2
Western Québec - page 4 | Northern Québec - page 5

Last Update: 06/NOVEMBER/2010
Compiled by Pete Payette - ©2010 American Forts Network

Percé Battery
(1780 - 1782), Percé
A two-gun shore battery used against American privateers. It was captured and destroyed during a second raid.

Fort Ramsay
(1757, 1765 - unknown), Gaspé
Pointe-McConnell was originally fortified in 1757 by the French. It was next fortified by the British in 1765. It received its current name probably in 1826. It was in ruins by 1834. Near the site is now a modern campground and hotel complex which has taken the name.


¤¤ COAST ARTILLERY DEFENCES, GASPÉ BAY

¤¤ Fort Haldimand
(1939 - 1944), Haldimand, Sandy Beach
Headquarters of the Harbor Defence. Two 75mm guns were located here from 1939 - 1943. The site is now an Anglican church campground.

Sandy Beach was also the headquarters of the Royal Canadian Navy Detachment, established in 1942 (HMCS Fort Ramsay). This base included a fuel depot, jetties, ammunition stores, maintenance facilities, a launching cradle, a communications centre and a hangar and apron for seaplanes.

¤¤ Fort Peninsula
(Forillon National Park)
(1939 - 1944), Penouille
The examination battery for the Gaspé Defences, located directly across the bay from Fort Haldimand. Two casemated 4.7-inch quick-firing guns are still located here. An observation post was located nearby at the Cap-Gaspé Lighthouse. Admission fee to park.

¤¤ Fort Prével
(Auberge Fort-Prével)
(1941 - 1944), Fort-Prével
A World War II coastal defence fort on the Gaspé penninsula below Douglastown. This fort was armed with two American-made M1888 10-inch guns, one on a M1893 disappearing carriage, and the other on a M1894M1 barbette carriage. Some ruins of the batteries remain. The present gun replica at the battery is not original. The barracks have been renovated into a resort inn, and the grounds are now a golf course. The magazines still exist. The Battery Commander's Post has been re-utilized as a golf tee. An observation post and command post were located nearby at Bois Brule Head, and another observation post was located at Pointe-Saint-Pierre.

¤¤ ALSO: Near Red Head was the Navy Port War Signal Station.

Special thanks to Robert D. Zink of the Coast Defense Study Group for providing info on the Coast Artillery Defences of Gaspé Bay.


St. George Radar Station
(1942 - 1944), Saint-Georges-de-Malbaie
An RCAF Chain Home Low early warning air defence radar was located here.

Fox River Radar Station
(1943 - 1945), Rivière-au-Renard
The RCAF operated an experimental microwave early warning surface radar for anti-submarine defence. German U-boat tactics in 1944 had rendered the system useless.

Fort Listuguj
(1700 ?, 1745 ?, 1760), Listuguj, Pointe-à-la-Croix
A French trading post was located at Pointe-des-Sauvages on the Restigouche River. A mission was later built here in 1745. A small fort was built by the French in July 1760 soon after the Battle of the Restigouche, and held until October 1760. The Mikmaq Indian Reserve was established at Listuguj in 1853. The community, once known as Ristigouche, was renamed in 1994. A recreated palisaded fort was built in 1996 to represent the 1760 post, although it is not historically accurate.

A French naval gun battery was located nearby at Battery Point in 1760, used in the July 1760 Battle of the Restigouche River (Parks Canada - National Historic Site). Two of the guns from this battery are now on display at Riverfront Park in Campbellton, NB. (see also Gilbert Battery, NEW BRUNSWICK)

Fort Bic
(1670 - unknown), Le Bic
A French trade post at the mouth of the Rivière du Bic.

Fort Rivière du Loup
(1670 - unknown), Rivière-du-Loup
A French trade post.

Fort Ingall
(1839 - 1842), Cabano FORT WIKI
A British stockaded wooden blockhouse built during the Aroostook War to secure the border and to protect the line of communication between New Brunswick and Canada. Abandoned after the war. It was reconstructed beginning in 1973. Admission fee.

Dégelis Fort
(1839 - 1842), Dégelis
A British blockhouse built during the Aroostook War. No remains.


Blanc Sablon Post
(1932 - 1941), Blanc-Sablon
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Fort Pontchartrain (1)
(1704 - 1760), Brador
A French fur trade post built by Augustin Le Gardeur, sieur de Courtemanche. This was his main post. Legardeur died in 1717, his son-in-law François Martel de Brouague taking over until the British conquest. The community was originally named Baie-Phélipeaux.

Fort Rivière des François
(1715 - unknown), Rivière-Saint-Paul
A French trading post at the mouth of the Rivière Saint-Paul.

Le Vieux Fort
(1702 - 1704 ?), Vieux-Fort
A French fur trade post built by Augustin Legardeur, sieur de Courtemanche, a former French military officer. Also known as Fort Esquimaux River. Courtemanche traded with local Montagnais for fur while running a small seal fishery. The fort was said to have been destroyed by invading Inuit who clashed regularly with the colonizing Europeans along the coast over traditional hunting and fishing grounds.

Fort Saint Augustin
(1757 - unknown), Saint-Augustin
A French fort.

St. Augustine Posts
(1822 - 1852), Saint-Augustin
An independent British trading post was originally here.

A Hudson's Bay Co. post operated here from 1871 - 1941.

Fort Gros Mékatina
(1739 - unknown), near Mutton Bay
A French trade post located at the mouth of the Rivière du Gros Mécatina.

Mutton Bay Post
(1931 - 1939), Mutton Bay
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Mekatina Post
(1852 - unknown), Chevery
An independent British trade post located at the mouth of the Rivière du Petit Mécatina.

Cocosho Post
(1831 - unknown), near Wolf Bay
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located east of La Romaine.

Romaine Post
(1893 - 1941), La Romaine
A Hudson's Bay Co. post at the mouth of the Olomane River.

Muskwaro Post
(1828/1838 - 1891), Musquaro
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Natashkwan Post
(1828/1845 - 1939), Natashquan
A Hudson's Bay Co. post. Also spelled Nontascouanne. Originally located south at Pointe du Vieux Poste at the mouth of the Natashquan River.

Nabisipi Post
(1826/1832 - 1835), near Aguanish
A Hudson's Bay Co. post at the mouth of the Nabisipi River, at Point Nabisipi.

Fort Maignant
(1757 - unknown), near Mingan
A French post located at the mouth of the Rivière Romaine.

Île du Havre Fort
(Mingan Archipelago National Park Reserve)
(1679 - unknown), Île du Havre de Mingan
A French trade post built by Louis Jolliet on the eastern end of the island. Attacked twice by the British.

Fort Mingan
(1662 - unknown), Mingan
A French trade post.

Mingan Post
(1821 - 1924), Mingan
An independent trading post at the mouth of the Mingan River, bought out by the Hudson's Bay Co. in 1828. Also known as the Mingan Seigniory Post. The HBC later operated a fur farm on the east side of the river from 1929 - 1937.

Anticosti Island Fort
(1681 - unknown), Anticosti Island
A fort erected by Louis Jolliet in the spring of 1681 when he settled there with his wife, four children and six servants. Exact location undetermined, possibly on the western end of the island. The fort was captured and occupied during the winter of 1690 by some of the Massachusetts troops of William Phips during their retreat after an unsuccessful attempt to capture Québec City. After Jolliet's death in 1700, the island was divided among his three sons, and the Jolliet family retained ownership until 1763 when the island became British under the terms of the Treaty of Paris. That same year the island was annexed to Newfoundland until 1774 when it was returned to Lower Canada, but was annexed again to Newfoundland from 1809 to 1825. It became permanently part of Québec after Canadian Confederation in 1867. During these years the island property changed hands several times, its owners generally using it for the harvesting of timber but otherwise no real development took place.

Cormoran Post
(1826 - unknown), near Rivière-Pigou ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located east of Moisie.

Fort Moisie
(1722 - unknown), Moisie
A French post located at the mouth of the Rivière Moisie.

Seven Islands Post
(1844 - 1941), Sept-Îles
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

A French trading post was originally located here in 1679 (Fort Sept Îles).

Fort Naskapis
(1730 - unknown), near Wabush, Labrador
A French post located at the head of the Rivière Moisie near the Labrador border.

Fort Manicouagan
(1730 - unknown),
A French trade post located on the upper Rivière Manicouagan, along the present eastern rim of the Réservoir Manicouagan.

Godbout Posts
(1847 - 1859), Godbout
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

An independent British trade post was originally here in 1828.

Baie Comeau Post
(1937 - 1938), Baie-Comeau
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Bersimis Post
(1844 - 1941), Rivière-Bersimis
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located at Pointe des Bersimites.

Isle de Jérémie Posts
(1844 - 1859), Les Îlets-Jérémie
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on Jérémie's Island. Also known as Jérémie's Post.

A French trade post was originally here in 1730.

Portneuf Post
(1822 - unknown), Sainte-Anne-de-Portneuf
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located at the mouth of the Rivière Portneuf.

Fort Mille Vaches
(1685 - unknown), near Portneuf-sur-Mer ?
A French post.

Tadoussac Posts
(1600 - 1601, 1628, 1652), Tadoussac
Originally a short-lived minimally fortified French trading house/habitation, established by Pierre Chauvin de Tonnetuit, located at the mouth of the Saguenay River. Sixteen men were left here for the winter. The five survivors returned to France in the spring. The ruins of the post were seen by Samuel de Champlain in 1603. A reconstruction of Chauvin's post is located at 157 Bord de l'Eau. See also Encyclopedia of French Cultural Heritage in North America

A trading post was later re-established here by the French, and was captured by the English in 1628, returned by treaty in 1632.

The Hudson's Bay Co. operated here from 1833 - 1893.

Fort Chicoutimi
(1676 - unknown), Chicoutimi
A French fur trade post on the Saguenay River.

The Hudson's Bay Co. operated Chicoutimi Post here from 1844 - 1909.

Fort Métabetchouan
(Métabetchouan Centre of History and Archaeology)
(1652 - unknown), Métabetchouan
A French fur trade post on the south shore of Lac Saint-Jean. Possibly rebuilt in 1665. Also known as Fort Lac Saint Jean.

The North West Co. also later operated here (Métabetchouan Post) (dates ?). A small powder magazine still exists, built sometime before 1778. Site located at the Centre d'Histoire et d'Archéologie de la Métabetchouane (admission fee).

The Hudson's Bay Co. Lake St. John Post was here from 1844 - 1881.

Pointe Bleue Posts
(1866 - 1941), near Saint-Prime
A Hudson's Bay Co. post at the western end of Lac Saint-Jean, near the mouth of the Ashuapmushuan River.

An independent British trade post was located here in 1800.

Ashuapmuchuan Posts
(1728 - unknown), near Lac Ashuapmushuan ?
Originally a French trading post (Fort Choumouchoine).

A Hudson's Bay Co. post was later located on the Ashuapmushuan River, a subpost of Lake St. John Post, from 1849 - 1850.

Half-Way Post
(1850 - unknown),
An independent British trade post located somewhere near Lac Nicabau.

Fort Nikabau
(1661 - unknown), Lac Nicabau
A French trade post.

Chippishaw Post
(1818 - unknown), near
A North West Company post located on the southern shore of Lac Pamouscachiou, now part of the Réservoir Pipmuacan.

Peribonka Post
(1926), Lac Peribonka or Lac Manouane
A Hudson's Bay Co. post. Sources differ on the exact location.


Southern Québec - page 1 | Québec City - page 2 | Western Québec - page 4
Northern Québec - page 5

QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com