This station was completed in September 1943 on a government-owned 1.41 acre site as a combined Base-End Station for Fort Dearborn and Fort Foster. The second story observation level was intended for Battery 205 (B6 S6), and the first story level was for Battery Seaman (B11 S11). The roof, accessed through a trap-door, was used as the anti-aircraft intelligence station (AAIS OP 10). The attached cottage as shown was somewhat modified from the original barracks design. Searchlight positions #17 and #18 were located east of the tower on the shoreline. A separate fire-control switchboard building, disguised as a one-car garage, was located to the rear of the house. It was later converted to the real thing.
This is what the former Cape Neddick station looks like today. The house had undergone major renovations in 2001. The interior of the tower was completely gutted, the old observation window slits removed, and new windows cut into the concrete walls. The old garage was removed as well.
GPS for Base-End Station (OC2159) - N 43° 10.133 W 070° 35.692 (NAD 83)
GPS for Location 151 Benchmark (OC0475) - N 43° 10.128 W 070° 35.703 (NAD 83)
Located on Nubble Road northwest of the lighthouse at Cape Neddick, York Beach, Maine.
WWII TOWERS HOME