This small one-level 14-foot square concrete station was completed in October 1943 on a 1.6 acre site leased on permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and was used as a Base-End Station for Fort Dearborn (B3 S3 for Battery 103/Seaman and AAIS OP 2). The refuge was created in 1942. The station was deliberately destroyed in the 1950s by the Mass. National Guard during a training exercise. Bits of concrete still remain today strewn across the beach. There is a $5 per car admission fee to the refuge.
GPS for Base-End Station (MY5279) - N 42° 46.575 W 070° 48.321 (NAD 83)
GPS for Location 137A Benchmark (MY5284) - N 42° 46.224 W 070° 48.083 (NAD 83)
Located on Plum Island, Newbury, Massachusetts.
Parker River National Wildlife Refuge
WWII TOWERS HOME