Photographs of Fort Monroe
Seacoast Batteries

Water Battery

N 3700.265 W07618.230

Built in 1832 and consisted mostly of brick casemates to compliment the fort.
The outerworks contained three 15-inch Rodmans (ca.1890) and the
Water Battery Casemates held 10-inch Rodmans (ca.1890).
Located just north, where the Wherry housing starts, is the spot where
one 8-inch rifle (1897 - 1898) was located prior to moving to Battery Barber.
Also located here in 1895 was a 12-inch mortar.
This temporary platform was only used for target practice.

These emplacements are from the Civil War or Post Civil War era.

On the right side is the magazine. You can also see what remains
of the brick casemates.

Vintage photo of the Water Battery.

Vintage photo of the water battery.

Vintage photo of inside the water battery.

Vintage photo of a mortar emplaced just outside the Water Battery.

North East Bastion & Battery Gatewood

Bastion N 3700.270 W07618.279 - Gatewood N 3700.231 W07618.301

N.E. Bastion, also known as Redoubt E, originally held one M1896 experimental 10-inch
depressing gun (1898 - 1908). Later the site was converted into multiple observaton stations.
It is currently marked incorrectly as Battery Gatewood.

Battery Gatewood consisted of four 4.7-inch .50 calibre M1898 British Armstrong guns
on pedestal mounts (1898-1914). Named after Charles B. Gatewood and located along the parapet
between the Experimental Battery and the HECP.
{see "American Seacoast Defenses" 2nd Ed. page 86}

Experimental Battery.

The old gun emplacement of the experimental battery.
Located at this spot, after the gun was removed, was the wooden
2-room Gun Group Primary Station (1914).
Also located here was a fire command station for Battery Ruggles
(a 1-room frame building built in 1914).

Two more instrument stands next to the experimantal battery.
The wooden Mine Group Double Primary Station (1914) was here.
It consisted of two instrument rooms and two plotting rooms.

Originally an unassigned observing station, but later used for the
Meteorlogical Station. (USCGS "Fort")

Site of Battery Gatewood.
The square foundation is the site of the wooden
two-story Signal Station (1934).
Notice the concrete remains of a gun mount in foreground.

Interior room of the Experimental Battery.

Battery Barber & Mine Casemate 1

N 3700.409 W07618.351

Battery Barber held one 8-inch M1892 gun on an ARF (360) barbette carriage
(1898-1915). Located near the PX and named after Thomas H. Barber.
Mine Casemate #1 was also here.
Note: the gun at Barber, along with a 12-inch M1891 mortar, was previously mounted in 1895 on a
temporary platform just outside the Water Battery where the Wherry Housing starts.


Former site of Battery Barber and the Mine Casemate.


Batteries Bomford, Humphreys & Eustis

Bomford N 3700.472 W07618.329 - Humphreys N 3700.340 W07618.318
Eustis approx N 3700.582 W07618.099 (USCGS "Tall Square Tower")

All of these were demolished, but I felt it necessary to include them.

Battery Bomford was originally known as Redoubt A. It was a stone and earth fortification
for small guns and infantry and mostly faced backwards toward Mill Creek. It was converted in
1874 to carry six 15-inch seacoast guns, but this construction was never completed.
In 1891, this redoubt was demolished and the concrete battery, named after George Bomford, was built.
It was completed in 1897 and carried two 10-inch M1888-M2 guns on M1894 disappearing
carriages. The battery was modernized in 1913 which included widening the loading
platforms and adding an open BC Station and a Plotting Room. The battery was disarmed
in 1942 and demolished. A credit union and PX are now at this location.
{see "American Seacoast Defenses" 2nd Ed. page 122}

Battery Humphreys was located on the site of the earthen Redan (ca.1870's-1897). This
redan was built into the northern segment of the Water Battery next to the moat sleuce.
This area is now only an empty field. The concrete battery was built in 1897 and named
after Charles Humphreys. It was armed with one 10-inch M1894 gun on an experimental
disappearing carriage. The gun was removed in 1910. However, in 1914 a new structure
was built on the loading platform. Consisting of five tall concrete pedestals, this
Fire Control Station served as the Primary Stations to Batteries Parrot, Eustis, and
Anderson in addition to the Secondary Stations for Batteries DeRussy and Church.
The lower level served as the Signal Corps Switchboard Room. In 1946 only one of the
Primary Stations was used, presumably for Battery Montgomery.

Battery Eustis was originally called Redoubt C. This concrete batttery was built
between 1898 and 1900 with the Coast Artillery using it in 1901. It was armed with
two 10-inch M1888-M2 guns on M1896 disappearing carriages. It was modernized in 1908
which included widening the loading platforms and adding an elevated two-story BC
Station and Plotting Room. In 1933, Eustis was used only for training. The guns were
removed in 1942, and the battery was demolished.
{see "American Seacoast Defenses" 2nd Ed. page 124}


HOME | NEXT