Alum Bluff Battery |
Fort Andrews |
Fort Apalache |
Camp Apalachicola | Fort Apalachicola | Asile Ranch | Fort Aspalaga | Fort Atkinson
Fort Aucilla | Fort Ayavalia | Fort Ayubalet | Fort Barbour | Fort Barker | Battery Point Fort
Blount's Fort (1) | Fort Virginia Braden | Fort Brady | Camp Brennan | Bristol Blockhouse
Fort Frank Brooke (2) | Fort Buckeye | Camp Call | Carr's Fort | Camp Carter
Chattahoochee Arsenal | Fort Clarke (3) | Camp Cobb | Columbus Fort | Fort Coombs
Fort Dabney | Fort Dade (2) | Camp Davis (1) | Camp Mary Davis (2) | Deadman's Bay Post
Fort Downing | Fort Econfinee | Flag Island Res. | Camp Forbes | Forbes' Store (2)
Fort Gadsden | Camp Gamble | Fort Gamble | Fort Griffin | Fort Hamilton
Battery at Hammock's Landing | Fort Harriett | Fort Houston | Fort Hulbert | Fort Industry
Fort Jackson | James Island Post | Fort Roger Jones (1) | Fort Jones (2) | Camp Lawson
Fort Lawson (2) | Camp Lay | Fort Lee | Camp Linton | Lower Apalachicola River Defenses
Fort McCrabb | Fort Macomb (1) | Fort Macomb (2) | Madison Blockhouse | Fort Many
Fort Mitchell (2) | Camp Murat | Natural Bridge Breastworks | Negro Fort (2)
Fort Nicholls (1) | Fort Noel | Fort No. One (M) | Fort No. Two (M) | Fort No. Three (M)
Fort No. Four (M) | Fort No. Five (M) | Fort No. Six (M) | Fort No. Seven (M)
Fort No. Eight (M) | Fort No. Nine (M) | Fort No. Ten (M) | Fort No. 11 (M) | Fort No. 12 (M)
Fort No. 13 (M) | Fort No. 14 (M) | Fort No. 15 (M) | Fort on the Ochlockonee River
Fort Ocklawaha | Fort Ocilla | Fort Parker | Phillips' Fort | J. Phillips' Fort | Fort Pleasant
Fort Pleasants | Port Leon Battery | Fort Port Leon | Fort Preston (2) | Ricko's Bluff Battery
Fort St. Augustine | Fort San Luís de Apalachee | Fort San Marcos de Apalache
Fort St. Marks (2) | Fort Scott | Fort Sherrard | Fort Sherrod | Camp Smith (2) | Fort Stansbury
Timucua Indian Fort | Fort Vose | Fort Wacissa | Wakulla River Trade Post | Camp Ward
Fort Ward (2) | Fort Welaunee | Well's Fort | Fort William | Woodbine's Fort | Fort Wool
Northeast Coast - page 1 | St. Johns River - page 2
Eastern Florida - page 3 | Central Florida - page 5
Southern Florida - page 6 | Western Florida - page 7
Pensacola Bay - page 8
FLORIDA'S COASTAL MARITIME TRAIL - FORTS
FLORIDA'S PHOTOGRAPHIC ARCHIVES
OLD FLORIDA MAPS
SPANISH FLORIDA 1513-1763
Camp Davis (1)
(1861), St. Vincent Island
A Confederate post.
Flag Island Military Reservation
(1882 - 1910's ?), near St. Vincent Island
A proposed gun battery location at the West Pass entrance to St. George Sound. This island no longer appears as such on modern maps.
A Union camp established after the Confederates evacuated the river port in April 1862. Exact location undetermined. Battery Park is located downtown.
(1901 - present ?), Apalachicola
The FL National Guard Armory in town is inscribed with this name on the exterior facade. Home of the Franklin Guards.
(State Historic Site)
(Apalachicola National Forest - Historic Sites)
(1818 - 1821, 1862 - 1863), Fort Gadsden FORT WIKI
British troops, allied Seminoles, and Free Blacks, under Col. Edward Nicholls (who had just fled from Pensacola), built Fort Nicholls (1) (1814 - 1816) here on Prospect Bluff, which was then left to the Seminoles and former slaves when Nicholls left in 1815. (see also Col. Nicholls' Outpost, GA) Also known as Capt. George Woodbine's Fort, the British leader who had stayed behind. Also known as Blount's Fort (1) (?) (not verified). It was an octogonal earthwork about 500 feet from the river, with a magazine and 15-foot high bastions, and a stockade that enclosed seven acres. American troops from Fort Scott (see below) blew up the "Negro Fort" (2) (as it was known to the Army) in July 1816. In March 1818 the Americans built Fort Apalachicola nearby, soon after renamed. It was later abandoned. Confederates used it during the Civil War, armed with four guns by May 1863. Abandoned after a malaria outbreak. Earthworks and foundational remnants of both forts still exist. Site managed by the U.S. Forest Service. See also Fort Gadsden and the Negro Fort from Explore Southern History.com
Forbes' Store (2)
(1804 - 1814), near Fort Gadsden
A British trading post operated by John Forbes. Located on Prospect Bluff at the "Brickyard" on Brickyard Creek, just north of Fort Gadsden.
Lower Apalachicola River Defenses
(Apalachicola National Estuarine Research Reserve)
(1862 - 1864), Cutoff Island, near Wewahitchka
Confederate gun batteries were erected in December 1862 on the west bank of the Apalachicola River at the so-called "Narrows" to protect underwater obstructions placed downriver at the "Virginia Bend" to prevent Union Navy gunboats from advancing upriver to Columbus, Georgia. Battery Gilmer (two 24-pounder guns) and Battery Cobb (three 32-pounder guns) were located on either side of the "Devil's Head", just downstream from the "Bryan's Cutoff" (Moccasin Creek) to the Styx River. A small four-gun (6-pdr) battery was also located at the mouth of Moccasin Creek in 1863, but withdrawn in February 1864 (these guns were temporarily re-emplaced at Iola in July 1864). The C.S.S. Chattahoochee also provided naval protection along this stretch of the river. Batteries Gilmer and Cobb were abandoned in July 1864. The cutoff was later enlarged and straightened in 1872 after the Apalachicola River had flooded and changed course in 1863 because of the obstructions.
Ricko's Bluff Battery
(1862), near Orange
A Confederate 10-gun battery on the east bank of the Apalachicola River west of town. Built in April 1862 after Apalachicola was evacuated before Union occupation. Abandoned in June 1862 when replaced by the Alum Bluff Battery to the north.
Fort Preston (2)
(1840 - 1842, 1862 - 1863), near Bristol
Originally a Seminole War post, located on the east side of the Apalachicola River southwest of town, 13 miles south of Fort Aspalaga (Barbour). Also used by the Confederates in the Civil War.
(some info provided by Phil Stover)
Alum Bluff Battery
(Apalachicola Bluffs and Ravines Preserve)
(1862 - 1863), near Bristol
A Confederate seven-gun battery (four 32-pdrs, two 24-pdrs, one 18-pdr) on the Apalachicola River, located north of town. Built in June 1862, abandoned by July 1863. Trace remains located on the "Garden of Eden" Trail, owned and managed by The Nature Conservancy.
Battery Point Fort
(Torreya State Park)
(1863 - 1864), near Rock Bluff
A Confederate six-gun battery (two 32-pdrs, one 24-pdr, three 18-pdrs) located at Hammock's Landing (Battery Point) on the Apalachicola River to prevent Union gunboats from ascending the river. Also known as Battery at Hammock's Landing. Built in July 1863, abandoned in late 1864. Earthworks and a magazine remain. Site is one-half mile from the park entrance. Of interest nearby is the restored Gregory House (1849), which was originally located on the west side of the river at Ocheesee Landing.
Nearby just northeast was Confederate Camp Linton (1863 - 1864), the cantonment area for the battery. Possibly also known as Fort Lee, by itself or in conjunction with the river battery complex.
Built by the American Army to keep watch over British Fort Nicholls (1). The Spanish authorities in Pensacola objected to the presence of this fort, but they never did anything about it. It was dismantled (blown up) a few months after it was built. Very probably located at the future site of the Arsenal. The post was then rebuilt further upstream at Camp Crawford (Fort Scott), GA (see also).
(Florida State Hospital)
(1832 - 1866), Chattahoochee
Completed in 1838, became a major supply depot during the Second Seminole War. The town was originally known as Mount Vernon, then renamed Chattahoochee in 1834 to avoid confusion with the same-named town and arsenal in Alabama. Also known as Chattahoochee Arsenal. Seized by Confederates in January 1861. Transferred to the Freedman's Bureau in 1866. Became a state prison in 1868, then became a state mental hospital in 1876. Two original buildings (out of nine) within the four-acre brick-walled enclosure still remain, including the Officers' quarters (now the hospital administration building), and a warehouse/workshop. Located outside the enclosure is the Powder Magazine, which was later greatly modified for hospital use, and will be soon restored as a museum and conference center. Public access to the hospital grounds is restricted without prior approval.
Camp Forbes or ?
(unknown dates), near Chattahoochee
From the Seminole Wars or the Civil War.
A Confederate training camp that also protected nearby saltworks.
Capt. Phillips' Fort
(1777), near Jamieson
A Loyalist settler's fort located along the Little River.
Nearby, or possibly the same fort, was Joel Phillips' Fort (1777).
Fort on the Ochlockonee River
(1700 ? - 1704), Wakulla County
A Spanish fort located about 30 miles upriver from the mouth, that was destroyed by the South Carolina colonial militia in 1704. Possibly located near Smith Creek, east of Bradwell Bay.
Camp Gordon Johnston (Museum)
(1942 - 1946), Lanark Village
A WWII training camp for Army Amphibious Engineer units and support groups, notably the 38th, 28th, and 4th Infantry Divisions. Located four miles east of Carrabelle on St. James Island. Museum is located in the former Post Theater (1943) at 302 Marine Street.
* This entry is listed here for historical interest only. *
(St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge)
(1861 - 1865), near St. Marks
A Confederate fort located at the St. Marks Lighthouse (1842) as an advance lookout post for Fort St. Marks and to protect a saltworks. It was briefly captured by the Union in April 1862. The Union Navy returned in 1863 to dislodge the Confederate lookouts. The Union Army landed in March 1865 and held the site until the end of the war. The tower was relit in 1867. The lighthouse is located within the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge, southeast of town at the end of FL 59. Admission fee. See also Explore Southern History.com
(NOTE: not to be confused with Fort Williams at Port Orange, Volusia County)
Port Leon Battery
(1861 - 1864 ?), Port Leon
A CSA gun battery on or near the site of the Seminole War era Fort Port Leon (see below).
San Marcos de Apalache
(State Historic Site)
(1679 - 1682, 1718 - 1824, 1861 - 1865), St. Marks *PHOTOS*
A Spanish settlement and mission here were first established in 1672. A port facility for the Apalachee Province missions was probably in operation here as early as 1639. The settlement was attacked by pirates in 1677. The first Spanish fort built here was wooden and was burned by French pirates in 1682. The second Spanish fort was also wooden and was built in 1718 to reconquer the abandoned Apalachee Province. The third Spanish fort was stone and was built beginning in 1739. It was still unfinished by 1765 when British troops took control of West Florida, and was renamed Fort Apalache to avoid confusion with the other British-held Fort San Marcos (St. Marks (1)) in St. Augustine. The British garrison departed in 1769 and left the fort abandoned, but Spanish forces only regained control of the fort in 1787. Creek Indians under British agent William Augustus Bowles took control of the fort for five weeks in 1800 (May - June), trying to establish the independent Native American "State of Muskogee". The Americans under General Andrew Jackson occupied the fort briefly in April 1818 to control Creek raids into Georgia. The fort was ceded to the U.S. in 1821 with the rest of Florida, and was known as Fort St. Marks (2). Abandoned after 1824, the stone fort was mostly demolished in 1839 to construct a Federal Marine Hospital near the site for yellow fever victims. Additional stones were removed to build the base of the St. Marks Lighthouse in 1842. Some remains of the bombproofs and one bastion still exist. The park's visitor center is built on the foundation of the old hospital. The remains of the old fort were re-occupied by Confederates in 1861 - 1865. A large earth-covered powder magazine still exists, as well as additional earthwork walls. The Union Navy referred to the old fort as Fort Ward (2). Captured by the Union in May 1865. Site was authorized by Congress to be a National Historic Site in 1952, but was never actually established.
The Confederate Camp Ward (1861 - 1865) was across the St. Marks River from the old fort.
Wakulla River Trading Post
(1780's - 1814 ?, 1815 - 1816), near Lower Bridge
A British trading post/store operated by the Panton, Leslie, and Company was located on the Wakulla River four miles above St. Marks. Later operated by John Forbes around 1800. In 1815 British trader Alexander Arbuthnot established a trading post here. It was abandoned in 1816. The Americans claimed this post was a major supplier of arms to the Seminoles and Creeks. Arbuthnot was executed by General Andrew Jackson for inciting the Indians against the American settlers in Georgia and Alabama.
Fort San Luís de Apalachee
(1656 - 1704), Tallahassee *PHOTOS*
Military headquarters for the Spanish settlements of the Apalachee Province. Improved in the 1670's, it was a moated, palisaded four-bastioned wooden fort, with a 90 by 60-foot four-gun blockhouse. Destroyed by the Spanish themselves in July 1704 after the SC colonial militia destroyed several of the surrounding area missions.
Franciscan Mission de San Luís de Talimali (1) (aka San Luís de Xinayca) (1640 - 1656) was originally located at Lake Jackson Mounds (Archaeological State Park) until relocated to a new site (San Luís de Talimali (2) (1656 - 1704)) two miles west of the present-day downtown area. The second site was acquired by the state in 1983, and was extensivey excavated from 1985 to 1998. The entire mission complex has been reconstructed. Located at 2100 West Tennessee Street between Ocala Road and White Drive.
(Old Fort Park)
(1864 - 1865), Tallahassee
A 100 feet square earthwork that, according to local tradition, was hastily created by local citizens in March 1865 at Patrick Houston's Lakeland Plantation after 1000 Union Negro troops landed near St. Marks. Most likely it was originally built in late 1864 as part of the state capital's defensive line. Traces of the tree-covered earthworks remain in the park located about 1000 feet east of the Capital City Country Club clubhouse.
Camp Mary Davis (2)
(1861), near Tallahassee
A Confederate training camp.
Camp Smith (2)
A group of nine houses used by the CSA as a prison for Floridians loyal to the Union. It lasted only a few months. Located six miles south of downtown.
Natural Bridge Breastworks
(Natural Bridge Battlefield Historic State Park)
(1865), Natural Bridge Spring
Confederate log breastworks used in the March 1865 Battle of Natural Bridge have been reproduced. *PHOTOS*
(1647 - 1651), near Lamont
Spanish troops garrisoned a cattle ranch located between the Franciscan missions San Miguel Asile (1) and San Lorenzo de Ivitachuco in the Apalachee Province along the Aucilla River. The ranch was owned by Spanish Governor Benito Ruíz de Salazar Vallecilla, and was in operation from 1645 - 1652.
(1700 - 1704), near Blue Springs, Taylor County
A Spanish fort described as being on the lower Aucilla River, but probably on the Econfina River, as it was northwest of Hampton Springs, where old FL 30 crosses the river (above US 98). Destroyed by the SC colonial militia.
Timucua Indian Fort
(1656), Madison County
A wooden stockade built by rebel Timucua mission Indians during the 1656 Timucua Rebellion. Located somewhere near Mission Santa Elena de Machava (see below).
(1864), near Madison
A training camp for Free Blacks recruited into the Confederate Army.
Fort Dade (2)
(Suwannee River State Park)
(date 2nd SW), Ellaville
An Army post during the Second Seminole War.
(Suwannee River State Park)
(1864), near Ellaville
A Confederate earthwork fort at the old Columbus townsite to protect the railroad bridge. Site located within the state park. *PHOTOS*
Deadman's Bay Post
(1864), near Steinhatchee
A Confederate cavalry post used as a base to search for deserters and Union sympathizers.
Colonial Spanish Missions of Yustaga
The following Franciscan Missions were established without presidios or other military protection, and are listed here purely for historical interest. Many sites were abandoned, relocated, and/or consolidated after the 1656 Timucua Rebellion. Most sites were again abandoned after the 1702-04 raids by South Carolina militia troops and allied Indians. There may be other mission sites not listed here. The Yustaga District of the Timucua Province encompased the inland area from between the Suwannee / Withlacoochee Rivers and the Aucilla River, but not including the Gulf coastal area.
San Francisco de Chuaquin (1623 ? - 1656), in Madison County near Hansen (?).
San Pedro y San Pablo de Potohiriba (1) (1623 ? - 1656), in Madison County at Lake Sampala west of Hopewell.
San Pedro de Potohiriba (2) (1656 - 1704), in Madison County on the east side of San Pedro Bay.
Santa Elena de Machava (1628 ? - 1704), in Madison County on Alligator Creek, west of Sirmans.
San Idelfonso de Chamile (1628 ? - 1656), in Madison County near Spray or Dennet (?).
San Miguel de Asile (2) (1656 - 1704 ?), in Madison County southeast of Lamont.
San Mateo de Tolapatafi (1656 ? - 1704), unknown location.
Colonial Spanish Missions of Apalachee
The following Franciscan Missions were established without presidios or other military protection, and are listed here purely for historical interest. Many sites were abandoned, relocated, and/or consolidated after the 1647 Apalachee Rebellion. Most sites were again abandoned after the 1702-04 raids by South Carolina militia troops and allied Indians. There may be other mission sites not listed here. The Apalachee Province encompased the area between the Aucilla River and the Ochlockonee River.
San Miguel de Asile (1) (1628 ? - 1656), in Jefferson County near Lamont.
San Lorenzo de Ivitachuco (1633 - 1704), in Jefferson County near Lamont. Relocated in 1704 to Abosaya (1) near Gainesville.
La Concepción de Ayubale (? - 1704), in Jefferson County near Capps (?), 23 miles southeast of downtown Tallahassee. Site excavated in 1947.
San Juan de Aspalaga (? - 1704), in Jefferson County north of Cody (?) (Pine Tufts Archaeological Site).
San Pedro y San Pablo de Patale (? - 1704), in Leon County near Lafayette (?).
Santa María de Bacuqua (unknown dates), in Leon County near Blocker (?).
San Damián de Cupaica (aka San Cosme y San Damián) (1639 - 1704), in Leon County near Ochlockonee.
San Francisco de Oconee (? - 1704), in Jefferson County near Wacissa or Thomas City (Scott Miller Archaeological Site).
San José de Ocuia (unknown dates), in Leon County near Corey (?).
San Martín de Tomole (1656 ? - ?), in Leon County south of San Luis de Talimali (2).
San Carlos de los Chacatos (1656 - 1704), unknown location.
San Nicolas de Tolentino (1656 - ?), unknown location. Served Chacato Indians newly arrived from west of the Apalachee Province.
Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria de Tamaja (1) (1656 - ?), unknown location. Served Tama Indians newly arrived from central Georgia. Relocated in 1717 to St. Augustine.
San Pedro de los Chines (1656 - ?), unknown location.
San Antonio de los Chines (1656 - ?), unknown location. Served Chine Indians newly arrived from north or west of the Apalachee Province.
Seminole Wars Forts
(includes those forts and posts not already listed above)
Tour of Florida Territory During the Seminole Wars by Chris Kimball
Fort Ocklawaha (unknown dates), near Eastpoint.
James Island Post (1838), St. James Island.
Bristol Blockhouse (unknown dates), Bristol. A settlers' fort.
Fort Barbour (1837 ?, 1841 - 1842), Aspalaga Landing on the Apalachicola River (near I-10 bridge). Also known as Fort Aspalaga, which was also the name of an earlier post supposedly here in 1837.
Fort Virginia Braden (1839 - 1842), Fort Braden, on Jackson Bluff Road, 16-18 miles southwest of Tallahassee, near Holland, on the Ocklockonee River. A Fort Brady (1839) is mentioned in at least one historical account, which is possibly a misspelling.
Fort Harriett (1840), near Brown House (?), or at the head of the east branch of the Sopchoppy River, 17 miles northwest of St. Marks.
Fort Macomb (1) (1839 - 1842), Natural Bridge Spring, ten miles north of St. Marks. Also known as Fort Number One (M).
Fort Number Two (M) (1839), on the St. Marks River, south of Rose, at Horn Spring.
Camp Murat (1840), on the upper St. Marks River, near Chaires Crossroads (?).
Camp Lawson (1840), on the Wakulla River near Wakulla Springs. A log stockade also known as Fort Lawson (2).
Fort Number Five (M) (1839), near Sopchoppy (?)
Fort Stansbury (1839 - 1843), on the Wakulla River nine miles above St. Marks, probably near Wakulla Springs or Bethel.
Fort Industry (1839), Shell Point.
Fort Port Leon (1841 - 1843), Port Leon. Abandoned after a hurricane destroyed it.
Fort Number Six (M) (1839) undetermined location, possibly on or near the coast somewhere between Goose Creek Bay and the mouth of the Aucilla River.
Fort Roger Jones (1) (1839), near Aucilla (Ocilla Ferry), north of US 90.
Camp Carter (1838), somewhere near the Waukeenah and Welaunee Plantations.
Fort St. Augustine (1839 ?), located nine miles northeast of Fort Macomb (1) (near Cody ?).
Fort Many (1841 - 1842), near Wacissa Springs (?). Reportedly located 16 miles southeast of Tallahassee and 17 miles northeast of St. Marks.
Fort Welaunee (1838), a settlers' fort (Robert Gamble III) on the Welaunee Plantation east of Wacissa (on Welaunee Creek ?). Fort Gamble (1839 - 1843) was later established here by Army troops. Also possibly known as Camp Gamble (?) in 1839.
Fort Aucilla (1843), two miles southeast of Fort Gamble, southwest of Lamont, near Patterson's Hammock (?). Also spelled Ocilla.
Fort Wacissa (1838), a FL militia fort located south of Wacissa on the Wacissa River, near its junction with the Aucilla River, west of Cabbage Grove (between Hell's Half Acre and Nutall Rise). Later garrisoned by Army troops.
Fort Clark (3) (date 2nd SW), located 10 miles above the mouth of the Aucilla River, on the west bank of the river, near Cabbage Grove, about six miles northeast of Mandalay.
Fort Jones (2) (date 2nd SW), on the east side of the Aucilla River near Lamont, 23 miles from the river mouth.
Fort Vose (1841 - 1842), near Lamont, one mile east of the Aucilla River, 24 miles from the river mouth.
Fort Number Four (M) (1839), near Sirmans.
Fort Hamilton (1841 - 1843), located east of Fort Vose, on or near Alligator Creek west of Sirmans.
Madison Blockhouse (1835 - 1842), Madison. A settlers' fort. Site is now Confederate Square.
Fort Jackson (1838 - 1840), located 12 miles west-southwest of Ellaville, east of Hopewell (on or near Norton Creek ?).
Fort Noel (1839 - 1842), south of Lamont on the east bank of the Aucilla River, six miles northwest of Fort Pleasant. Probably located at or near the present-day crossing of FL 14 / FL 257 near Covington. Also known as Fort Number Three (M).
Fort Econfinee (1840), near Scanlon, five miles upriver from the mouth of the Econfina (Econfinee) River.
Fort Pleasant (1838 - 1842), located 22 miles upriver from the mouth of the Econfina River, on the east bank, about halfway (?) between Fort Andrews and Hickstown (Greenville). Also spelled Pleasants.
Fort Andrews (1838 - 1840), located about six miles up the Fenholloway River from its mouth on the Gulf, on the east bank about four miles southwest of Hampton Springs near the Thomas Mill Hammock. Seminoles burned it down after it was abandoned.
Fort Number Eight (M) (1839), near Perry, possibly on Spring Creek east of town.
Fort Mitchell (2) (1840), located six miles north of Sadler on the west side of the Fenholloway River.
Fort Number 11 (M) (1839), near Salem (?), or possibly near Spring Warrior Creek near Athena (?).
Fort Number Seven (M) (1839), located somewhere between the mouths of the Econfina and Fenholloway Rivers.
Fort Number Ten (M) (1839 - 1840), near the mouth of Spring Warrior Creek at Spring Warrior Camp.
Fort Hulbert (1840), located three miles inland near Blue Springs (?), midway between Forts Andrews and Frank Brooke (2), 15 miles northwest of Steinhatchee.
Fort Number 13 (M) (1839), north shore of Deadman's Bay, west of "Stephensville" (location ?).
Fort Frank Brooke (2) (1838 - 1840), Steinhatchee. (Possibly same as Fort No. 13 ?)
Fort Atkinson (1839), one mile from Day, three miles west of Charles' Ferry on the Suwannee River, near Fort Atkinson Lake.
Fort Sherrard (1839, 1842), on the west bank of the Suwannee River, north of Dell, across from Charles' Ferry and Charles' Spring. Also spelled Sherrod.
Fort Number Nine (M) (1839), near Mayo, probably just northwest of town.
Fort Macomb (2) (1839 - 1843), on the west bank of the Suwannee River, three miles below the rapids, northeast of Mayo.
Fort Barker (1840), nine miles southwest of Fort Macomb (2) on the west side of the Steinhatchee River, near Cooks Hammock, possibly near the cemetery.
Fort Parker (unknown dates), near Cooks Hammock. (misspelling of Fort Barker ?)
Fort Buckeye (1849), near the head of the Steinhatchee River, near Cooks Hammock.
Fort Number 12 (M) (1839), south of Mayo near the Dixie County line.
Fort Downing (1840), west of the Suwannee River, nine miles west-southwest of the mouth of the Santa Fe River, southwest of Branford Springs and west of Fletcher Springs, at the east edge of Mallory Swamp (west of FL 349). Seminoles burned it down after it was abandoned.
Camp Call (1836), Old Town. A FL militia supply depot.
Fort Dabney (1836), less than one mile from Old Town. A settlers' fort garrisoned by the FL militia.
Fort McCrabb (1840), located about four miles upriver from Old Town on the west bank of the Suwannee River, near Purvis Landing.
Fort Griffin (1840), three miles south of Eugene at the head of California Creek.
Fort Number 14 (M) (1839), at the head of California Creek (?) near Eugene.
Fort Wool (1835), ten miles up the Suwannee River, on the west bank near Turkey Island, near Vista.
Fort Number 15 (M) (1839), undetermined location, possibly on or near the coast somewhere between Horseshoe Beach and Suwannee.
NOTE: In 1839 during the Second Seminole War, General Zachary Taylor implemented a plan to divide East Florida into 18 or 20 mile squares with a 20-man garrison in the center of each. East Florida was divided in half, "Middle" Florida being between the Suwannee River and the Apalachicola River, and duplicate fort numbers were used in East (E) and "Middle" (M) Florida. The highest number recorded in "Middle" Florida was "15".
NEED MORE INFO: Spanish Fort Ayubalet (1700 ? - 1704) somewhere in Apalachee Province, destroyed by SC colonial militia in 1704; Camp Brennan (1842) (location ?).
Carr's Fort (1777), a Loyalist settler's fort located near the Georgia border (location ?); Well's Fort (1777), a Loyalist settler's fort located near the Georgia border (location ?). Both may be listed in EAST FLORIDA.
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com