Anderson's Trade Post (2) |
Fort Campbell (1) |
Fort Deposit (1) (2)
Camp at Foot of the Rapids | Godfrey-Beaugrand Trade Post | Fort Industry
Knaggs' Trade Post | A. McKee's Trade Post (3) | A. McKee's Trade Post (4) | Fort Meigs
Fort Miami (2) | Fort Miamis (2) | Post des Miamis (1) | Miami Trade Post (2)
Perrot's Trade Post | Port Miami Blockhouse | Swan Creek Trade Post | Turtle Island Fort
Northwestern Ohio - page 1 | Southwestern Ohio - page 2
Southeastern Ohio - page 3 | Northeastern Ohio - page 4
1835 TOLEDO BORDER WAR
Perrot's Trading Post
(1695), Lucas County
A French trading post. Undetermined location, possibly at or near Grand Rapids (?).
Fort Deposit (1)
(1794), Waterville FORT WIKI
A triple stockaded post and encampment built by General Wayne on his way to Fallen Timbers, to store the excess troop baggage. Site located just south of town, opposite "Roche de Bout", now Farnsworth Metropark.
Another stockade by the same name (Fort Deposit (2)) was built in 1813 by General Winchester, either on this site or a nearby location.
Alexander McKee's Trading Post (3)
A British Indian Department trading post located at "Roche de Bout".
Fort Meigs (State Memorial)
(1813 - 1817), Perrysburg FORT WIKI
Built by General William Henry Harrison, known as the "Gibraltar of the Northwest". It was attacked twice by the British (May and July 1813), but never fell. Several British seige batteries were located along both sides of the river, with one battery still extant across the river in Maumee off of West Harrison Street, and three batteries are still extant at the Fort Meigs Union Cemetery. The Treaty of the Maumee Rapids was signed here in September 1817. The current structure is a 1970's reconstruction by the Ohio Historical Society. It was refurbished in 2003. A granite monument marks the actual site of the fort. Admission fee. See also Ohio History Central.org
Miami Trading Post (2)
A British trading post. Undetermined exact location.
Port Miami Blockhouse
A Michigan Territorial militia blockhouse located at Port Miami, an early American settlement and Federal customs port-of-entry established in 1805, located at and around the future site of Fort Meigs at Maumee Rapids. Possibly built in the spring of 1812, or earlier, as Indian raids began to increase. Destroyed by the British and Indians in August 1812 after the surrender of Detroit and Frenchtown. The settlement was also destroyed at that time as well, the residents having already fled to safety beforehand.
Alexander McKee's Trading Post (4)
A British Indian Department trading post located on the south bank of the Maumee River, just downstream from the future site of Fort Meigs.
Camp at Foot of the Rapids
A temporary fortified encampment built by troops under General Wayne after the Battle of Fallen Timbers (August 1794), located on the north bank of the Maumee River just past the Indian warriors' main encampment from before the battle. This was the Americans furthest advance down the Maumee River during the campaign.
Knaggs' Trading Post
(1794), Lucas County
A British trading post located on the Maumee River a short distance from Fort Miamis (2), burned by American troops during the 1794 Fallen Timbers campaign. Noted on a 1794 British map.
Whitmore Knaggs was listed as a resident of Port Miami in 1812. It is unclear if this was the same person living here in 1794.
Fort Miamis (2)
(Fallen Timbers Battlefield and Fort Miamis National Historic Site)
(National Park Service)
(1794 - 1797, 1812 - 1817), Maumee FORT WIKI
A French trading post (Post des Miamis (1)) was possibly located here in 1693.
A British stockaded earthwork fort located on the north bank of the Maumee River at the foot of the rapids, about fifteen miles from its mouth, mounting fourteen guns, four nine-pounders on the river side, and six six-pounders on the land side, also two large howitzers and two swivels. It was surrounded by a deep ditch with horizontal pickets projecting over it. It was also known as Fort Campbell (1) in one source, after Major William Campbell. Although American raids in 1794-95 destroyed nearby British storehouses, crop fields, and gardens, the fort itself was never formally attacked. The Americans briefly took over the fort in 1796 - 1797 according to the terms of the Jay Treaty. The British returned and encamped at the abandoned post in 1812, not finally relinquishing the site until two years after the War of 1812 ended. Site located in the 1800 block of River Road at Michigan Avenue. Some earthen ramparts still remain along the steep riverbank. Became a city park in 1942. Site excavated in 1953. Became a Toledo Metropark in 2000 along with the nearby Fallen Timbers Battlefield site. A monument to Col. William Dudley's Defeat (May 1813) is located by the Maumee Library on River Road. See also Touring Ohio.com
The Battle of Fallen Timbers (August 1794) took place nearby (approximately located at junction of US 23/I-475 and US 24). A stone monument was erected in the 1930's on the bluff about one-quarter mile away from the actual site (excavated in 1995). The 185-acre battlefield became a Toledo Metropark in 2000.
Anderson's Trading Post (2)
(1800 - unknown), Maumee
An American settler's trading post was located here before the War of 1812.
Swan Creek Trading Post
(1640 - 1669), Toledo
A French trading post was located at or near the mouth of Swan Creek.
Godfrey - Beaugrand Trading Post
A British (French-Canadian) trading post. Exact location undetermined.
(1803 - unknown), Toledo
Troops under command of Col. Thomas Hunt landed near the mouth of Swan Creek in June 1803, and a stockaded fort was built on the bluff by 1804. The Treaty of Fort Industry was signed here in July 1805, ceding the Indian-held lands in the Western Reserve, also known as the "Firelands", to the Northwest Territory. The fort was abandoned sometime before the War of 1812. A marker is/was (?) located at Monroe and Summit Streets, incorrectly stating that the post was built by General Wayne in 1794. There are no known factual images or plans of the post, and the origin of the name is unknown.
Turtle Island Fort
(1794 - 1796), Turtle Island
A British outpost of Fort Miamis (2), located at the mouth of Maumee Bay.
Northwestern Ohio - page 1 | Southwestern Ohio - page 2 | Southeastern Ohio - page 3
Northeastern Ohio - page 4
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com