Fort at Allemaengel |
Fort Allen (1) |
Camp Allentown |
Bethlehem Stockade |
Brodhead's Fort | Fort Brown (2) | Brown's Fort (3) | Christian's Spring Stockade
Post at Cortracht's | Camp Crane | Deedt's Blockhouse | Fort Delaware | Depuy's Fort
Depuis' Fort | Deshler's Fort | Fort Dickinson | Dietz' Blockhouse | Doll's Blockhouse
Fort at Dreisback's Mill | Fort at Drocker's Mill | Fort at Drucker's Mill | Dry Fort
Dupui's Fort | Fort Durkee | Post of Easton | Ebert's Fort | Everett's Fort | Fogel's Fort
Forty Fort | Fort Franklin (1) | Friedensthal Stockade | Gnadenthal Stockade | Fort Hamilton
Howersville Fort | Fort Hyndshaw | Hyndshaw's Fort | Fort Jenkins (1) | J. Jenkins' Fort
Kern's Fort | Kleppinger's Fort | Fort Lehigh | Lower Fort (1) | Fort Matamoras
Mill Creek Fort | Nazareth Stockade | Fort Norris (1) | Oblinger's Fort | Ogden's Fort
Fort Penn (1) | Pittston Fort | Ralston's Fort | The Redoubt | Rose Tavern
Rosencran's Blockhouse | Shawnee Fort | L. Stewart's Blockhouse | Old Stone Fort
Fort Sullivan | Camp Summerall | Teads' Blockhouse | Teedt's Blockhouse | Teet's Blockhouse
Post at Tishhock | Camp Tobyhanna | Tobyhanna Depot | Fort at Trisback's Mill
Fort at Trucker's Mill | Uplinger's Fort | Post at Van Etten's | Fort Wallenpaupack
Wilkes-Barre Fort | H. Wilson's Blockhouse | Wind Gap Fort | Fort Wintermoot
Wintermoot's Fort | Fort Wintermute | Fort Wyoming
Southeast Pennsylvania - page 1 | Central Pennsylvania - page 3
Southern Pennsylvania I - page 4 | Southern Pennsylvania II - page 5
Southwest Pennsylvania - page 6 | Northwest Pennsylvania - page 7
Greater Pittsburgh - page 8
EXPLORE PA HISTORY
John Everett's Fort
(1756 - 1758), Lynnport
A settlers' fort. Also spelled Ebert. Used by the Pennsylvania colonial militia. Site located just northwest of town. Nearby in New Tripoli, at Ontelaunee Park, is the restored 1740 George Zeisloff Log House, where there may be a marker or exhibit about Everett's Fort.
(1750's), Lynn Township, Lehigh County
A settlers' fortified house or blockhouse, originally built in 1748. May have been briefly used by the Pennsylvania colonial militia in 1756 before Fort Franklin (1) was built.
Fort Franklin (1)
Located on Lizard Creek south of town, it was a 40-foot square palisade with three buildings, two of which served as bastions, and was garrisoned by 63 men. Built by the Pennsylvania colonial militia from plans by Benjamin Franklin. Also known as Fort at Allemaengel. The garrison was withdrawn to Everett's Fort.
Fort Allen (1)
(1756 - 1761, 1763), Weissport
Measured 125 feet by 50 feet, with a 12-foot high stockade. It had two bastions on the long sides, and two half-bastions on the opposite corners. Armed with two swivel guns. Inside were two barracks and an Officers' quarters. Built by the Pennsylvania colonial militia under the direct supervision of Benjamin Franklin. Became a Provincial trading post from 1758 - 1760. Used by local settlers as a shelter after it was abandoned, until it was reoccupied by troops briefly in 1763. The fort's well still exists behind a building on the west side of the town square near a flood protection levee. State marker located at 112 Franklin Street. The barracks were still standing in 1780, but demolished soon after. Site occupied by hotel on Bridge and Franklin Streets. The original name of Weissport (founded 1760's) was New Gnadenhuetten, after the original Moravian settlement of Gnadenhuetten (not stockaded for defense) that was located here and destroyed by Delaware Indians in November 1755.
Nicklasz Oblinger's Fort
(1756 - 1757), Palmerton
A settlers' stockaded farmhouse. Also spelled Uplinger. Used by the Pennsylvania colonial militia.
Fort at Trucker's Mill
(1756 - 1757), Slatington
A settlers' stockaded grist mill. Also spelled Drucker and Drocker. Also known as Nicholas (or son William ?) Kern's Fort and Dry Fort. Used by the Pennsylvania colonial militia.
Adam Deshler's Fort
(1760 ? - unknown), near Egypt
A settlers' fortified stone blockhouse located on the north bank of Coplay Creek. Adjoining the building was a large wooden building, suitable as barracks for twenty soldiers and for storing military supplies. Used by the Pennsylvania colonial militia. Used as a settlers' safe house in 1763. The house still existed until about 1940.
Hugh Wilson's Blockhouse
(1756 - unknown), Northampton
A settlers' octagonal stone structure with loopholes. Used as a smokehouse after the war. May have been briefly used by the Pennsylvania colonial militia in 1756. Moved in 1976 to the Northampton Municipal Park at 14th Street and Laubach Ave..
(1917 - 1919), Allentown FORT WIKI
Training camp for the Army Ambulance Service and Medical Corps. Originally named Camp Allentown until 1918. Located at the Lehigh County Agricultural Society (Allentown Fairgrounds).
(1755 - 1758), Bethlehem
The Moravian settlement (founded 1741) was stockaded in 1755.
(1757 - 1763 ?), Bath
A settlers' log fort or blockhouse built on a stone foundation. Used by the Pennsylvania colonial militia. Also known as Fort Brown (2).
(1758), near Petersville
A settlers' stockaded gristmill located on Hokendauqua Creek. Used by the Pennsylvania colonial militia in 1758. Also known as Fort at Jost Dreisback's (Trisback) Mill.
(1750's ?), near Petersville
A settlers' fort or blockhouse located near the Petersville Church.
(1750's ?), Howersville
A settlers' fort or blockhouse.
Peter Doll's Blockhouse
A settlers' blockhouse, with two barracks, briefly used by the Pennsylvania colonial militia as an outpost of Fort Lehigh. It was never stockaded. The house had been attacked by Indians in 1756. Site located about one and one-half mile north-northwest of town.
(1755 - 1758), Nazareth and vicinity
Log stockades with sentry boxes were built around the five largest dwellings in this Moravian settlement to create a pentagon-shaped defense. The town was founded in 1740. The Moravian Historical Society is located in the George Whitfield House (1743). See also PA state marker
The Moravian mill at Friedensthal (founded 1749) was stockaded, 400 feet by 250 feet with log houses at the corners for bastions. Located on Bushkill Creek two miles east of town, on Friedensthal Road south of PA 191.
The Rose Tavern (built 1752) was stockaded, located just over one mile northeast of town on the old Minisink Road.
The Moravian settlement at Gnadenthal (founded 1745) was stockaded, located two miles west of town.
The Moravian settlement at Christian's Spring (aka Christiansbrunn) (founded 1748) was also stockaded.
Post of Easton
(1756 - 1758, 1761, 1779), Easton
A brief garrison post for the PA colonial militia and British Army regulars of the 50th Regiment in 1756. Provincial troops were also posted here as guards for the Indian Treaty conferences in 1756, 1757, 1758, and 1761. Patriot troops under General John Sullivan were encamped here in 1779 prior to the "Sullivan Expedition" to the Upper Delaware and Susquehanna River Valleys.
Adam Dietz' Blockhouse
(1756 - 1758), Wind Gap
A settlers' stockaded house located about two miles southeast of town, also known as the Wind Gap Fort when garrisoned by the Pennsylvania colonial militia in 1756. Troops from Fort Norris were transferred here in 1758. Also spelled Deedt, Teet, Teedt, and Teads.
Fort Norris (1)
(1756 - 1757), Kresgeville
An 80-foot square palisade with four half-bastions, with several buildings inside. Garrisoned by 50 men. Built by the Pennsylvania colonial militia from plans by Benjamin Franklin. The troops transferred to Wind Gap Fort after the 1757 Easton Conference. The exact site is one mile southeast of town on Pohopoco Creek. A stone monument is located east of town at US 209 and PA 534.
(1756 - 1757), Stroudsburg
A palisaded house, with four half-bastions, 80 feet square, and garrisoned by 60 to 100 men and horses. Built by the Pennsylvania colonial militia from plans by Benjamin Franklin. Used by local settlers for shelter for awhile after it was abandoned. Site marked at 9th and Main Streets (US 209 and PA 611).
Fort Penn (1)
(1763, 1776 - 1780's), Stroudsburg
Built by the Pennsylvania colonial militia during Pontiac's War to replace Fort Hamilton. Rebuilt and used again by Patriot forces and as a settler refuge during the 1778 "Wyoming Valley Massacre". Site located near Center, Main (Elizabeth), and Chestnut Streets.
Daniel Brodhead's Fort
(1755 - 1757), East Stroudsburg
A settlers' stockaded house, built in 1736, located one-half mile east of Dansbury. Attacked by Indians in late 1755 and in the summer of 1757. Provincial troops were briefly posted here in the spring of 1756.
Samuel Dupui's Fort
(1755 - 1758), Shawnee
A settlers' stone house that was palisaded with four swivel guns, and used by the Pennsylvania colonial militia. Also spelled Depuy or Depuis.
Lt. James Hyndshaw's Fort
(1756 - 1757), Shoemakers
A 70-foot square palisade with two bastions, surrounding Hyndshaw's house. Used by the Pennsylvania colonial militia, also known as Fort Hyndshaw. The troops were removed to Fort Hamilton and the fort was left abandoned.
In 1756 the Pennsylvania colonial militia, under orders from Benjamin Franklin, briefly garrisoned three nearby posts; at Capt. John Van Etten's home; at a place so-called Tishhock; and at settler Henry Cortracht's home. Locations are undetermined, somewhere in then-named "Upper Smithfield" Township. Van Etten's home was attacked by Indians in 1756.
(1756 - unknown), Bushkill
A settlers' blockhouse located three miles above the town.
Capt. Lazarus Stewart's Blockhouse
(1771 - 1780's), Hanover Township, Luzerne County
A settlers' log blockhouse. In use during the 1778 Wyoming Valley raids. Attacked by Indians in 1781.
¤ Wyoming Valley Forts
¤ Shawnee Fort
(1776 - 1784), Plymouth
A settlers' fort located on Flats Road on Garrison Hill. Abandoned after the "Wyoming Valley Massacre" (July 1778), then partially burned. Rebuilt a few months later and garrisoned by state militia. Attacked by Indians the following winter. The fort was washed away in a flood in 1784.
¤ Fort Durkee
(1769 - 1772 ?, 1779), Wilkes-Barre FORT WIKI
A log blockhouse built by settlers (Yankees) from Connecticut. Site located by the river at present-day West Ross and River Streets. Marker located in River Common. The settlers were driven out later that year by the area's original settlers (Pennamites). The Yankees returned in 1771 and captured Fort Wyoming. These events became known as the "First Pennamite-Yankee War", fought over conflicting royal land grants. In July 1778 Indians and Tories left the town in ruins. Patriot forces under General Sullivan briefly occupied the abandoned fort in June 1779. Connecticut withdrew all claims to the area in 1800.
¤ Fort Wyoming
(1771 - 1773, 1778 - 1784), Wilkes-Barre FORT WIKI
Built by Pennsylvania settlers but captured during its first year by Connecticut settlers over a dispute of conflicting royal land grants. It was later rebuilt as a defense against the British after the "Wyoming Valley Massacre" (July 1778), with four small blockhouses, armed with four guns, manned by 100 men. A temporary stockade had been erected around a house on South Main Street before the fort was rebuilt to act as the troop headquarters in the meantime. The fort was attacked by Indians in March 1779. Continental troops replaced the state troops in February 1781 during renewed tensions between the Pennamites and Yankees. Renamed Fort Dickinson in 1783. Attacked twice by Yankee settlers in 1784 (Second Pennamite-Yankee War). It was then afterwards dismantled. Site located near Northampton and River Streets. Marker located in River Common.
¤ The Redoubt
(1771, 1784), Wilkes-Barre
A Yankee settlers' one-gun battery located on a rocky hill above the river near Union Street. Used in the capture of Fort Wyoming from the Pennamite settlers. Again used by Yankees in 1784.
¤ Wilkes-Barre Fort
(1776 - 1778), Wilkes-Barre
A town fort located at the site of the Wilkes-Barre courthouse and jail at the public square. It was a ditched work with flanking towers at each angle, armed with only one gun. It was destroyed by the British in July 1778 during the "Wyoming Valley Massacre". Marker located in the Public Square at Market and Main Streets.
¤ Mill Creek Fort
(1772 - 1780 ?), Wilkes-Barre
A settlers' fort on the north bank of the mouth of Mill Creek.
Pennamite Capt. Amos Ogden's Fort (1770) was here previously, captured and burned by Yankees in 1770.
¤ Forty Fort
(1769 - 1778), Forty Fort FORT WIKI
A settlers' log stockaded fort located near Wilkes-Barre, it was the main scene of the "Wyoming Valley Massacre" (July 1778). The fort was attacked by 800 British soldiers, Tories, and Indians who killed nearly 300 Patriot troops during battle, but did not harm any of the noncombatant settlers taking refuge there, contrary to popular myth. The fort was named for the first 40 settlers to arrive from Connecticut. Site located at Fort and River Streets.
¤ Rosencran's Blockhouse
(1770's - 1778 ?), Plains
A settlers' blockhouse. It may have been destroyed by Indians.
¤ Fort Wintermute
(1776 - 1778), Exeter
A stockaded house built by Tory settlers from New York. Also spelled Wintermoot, and also known as Wintermoot's Fort. The settlers here sided with the British forces attacking the Wyoming Valley in July 1778, but the fort was burned by them anyway. Site located between Wyoming Ave. and the Susquehanna River.
¤ Fort Jenkins (1)
(1776 - 1778), West Pittston
A stockaded settlers' house, also known as John Jenkins' Fort. Burned by Indians and British in July 1778, with the settlers fleeing to Forty Fort. Sixteen settlers were killed by warriors of Queen Esther of the Delawares. The site has been washed away by the Susquehanna River.
¤ Pittston Fort
(1772 - 1780's), Pittston
A town fort built by Connecticut settlers, containing about 35 cabins within the triangular palisade. Attacked by the British and Indians in July 1778, then burned. Rebuilt and used until the end of the war. Site located between Main Street and the Susquehanna River.
¤ Brown's Fort (3)
A settlers' fort captured and destroyed by the British in July 1778.
Tobyhanna Army Depot (U.S. Military Reservation)
(Tobyhanna State Park)
(Gouldsboro State Park)
(1912 - 1949, 1953 - present), Tobyhanna
Originally established as an Army field artillery annual summer training range named Camp Tobyhanna. Unofficially called Camp Summerall. Became a permanent post in 1915. In 1918 became an Army Tank Corps training area. Closed later in 1918 and transferred to Camp Polk, North Carolina. Became a General Ordnance Depot for six months in 1919. Reverted to annual field artillery training in 1920. This was the only site in the state at that time where live-fire training was permitted. Became a CCC camp in 1933. An anti-aircraft gun training center was established in 1941, but the post was not large enough to accomodate the AA firing ranges. In 1942 became the Army Air Force Service Units Training Center and the Tobyhanna Air Corps Storage Depot. A German POW camp was here in 1945. Abandoned in 1949 and became a state park and gameland reserve. Gouldsboro State Park was later opened in 1958. A portion of the original reservation was reacquired by the Federal government in 1953 and became the Tobyhanna Signal Depot. The depot is presently a major element of the U.S. Army Communications-Electronics Command, being a full-service repair, overhaul and fabrication facility.
Old Stone Fort
A one and one-half story stone house originally built by Dutch settler Simon Westfael in 1740. Also known as Fort Matamoras.
(1774 - 1778), near Paupack
A one-acre stockaded Yankee settlers' fort, with one blockhouse, and enclosing a spring. A guardhouse was located outside of the fort's walls. The site is located along PA 507 about 1000 feet from the shore of Lake Wallenpaupack. The spring still exists, located across Ansley Road from the Loch Highlands Resort Community. In July 1778 the settlers were preparing a defense when news of the "Wyoming Valley Massacre" was received. The Indians did not attack here, but the settlers fled anyway to New York state. The abandoned fort was burned by Indians during the following winter.
(thanks to Jon Tandy, Wallenpaupack Historical Society, for additional info)
(1755 - 1763), Milanville
A NJ colonial militia fort, palisaded 116 feet by 80 feet, with a blockhouse at each corner, and three log houses within. It was also known as the Lower Fort (1). Attacked and burned by Lenape Indians in 1763. This post is now represented by the modern reconstruction located in Narrowsburg, NY.
The Upper Fort (1761 - 1763) was located across the river in Cochecton, NY. (see NEW YORK page 4)
A temporary Patriot stockaded supply depot during General Sullivan's Expedition against the Seneca and Delaware Indians. The fort had four blockhouses. The fort was destroyed at the conclusion of the campaign to prevent British use.
Southeast Pennsylvania - page 1 | Central Pennsylvania - page 3 | Southern Pennsylvania I - page 4
Southern Pennsylvania II - page 5 | Southwest Pennsylvania - page 6 | Northwest Pennsylvania - page 7
Greater Pittsburgh - page 8
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com