Fort Anne |
Arnold Point Fort |
Barker's Hill Fort |
Beaver Head Fort |
Beaver Tail Fort
Bliss Hill Fort | Brenton's Battery | Brenton's Point Barracks | Brenton's Point Fort
Bristol Ferry Battery (2) | Fort Brown | Fort Butts | Butts Hill Fort | Card's Redoubt
Castle Hill Fort | Fort Chastellux | Coaster's Island Fort | Coddington's Cove Fort
Coddington's Point Fort | Common Fence Point Battery | Conanicut Battery
Fort Conanicut | Fort Denham | Fort Dumpling Rock | Dumpling Rock Battery
Fort Dumplings | Dumplings Tower | Dutch Island Trading Post | Eldred's Battery
Fogland Ferry Fort | Fort George | Green End Fort | Fort Harrison | Honeyman's Hill Fort
Howland's Ferry Battery (1) | Lawton's Valley Fort | Fort Liberty | Little Tonomy Hill Redoubt
Fort Louis | Newport Powder House | North Battery | Owl's Nest Fort | Prospect Hill Fort (1)
Quaker Hill Fort | Rose Island Fort | Tonomy Hill Fort | Towering Hill Fort | Turkey Hill Fort
Rhode Island Mainland - page 1 | Narragansett Bay II - page 3
Howland's Ferry Battery (1)
A Patriot seven-gun battery to protect the ferry crossing and the passage up the Sakonnet River. Site located at the remains of the old Stone Bridge, which had later replaced the ferry. A gun battery was also located on the Tiverton side of the river.
(thanks to Wendy Baker for providing info)
Common Fence Point Battery
A British battery at Common Fence Point, the northern tip of Aquidneck Island.
Bristol Ferry Battery (2)
(1776), Bristol Ferry, Portsmouth
A Patriot work abandoned when the British took Newport. Site located about 0.3 mile east of the Mt. Hope Bridge on private property. (see also Bristol Ferry Battery (1) on page 1)
Arnold Point Fort
A Patriot work on the west side of Lehigh Hill built during the August 1778 advance on Newport.
Butts Hill Fort
(1777 - 1778, 1781), Portsmouth
Also known as Fort Butts, it was built by the British and later occupied by Patriots. With barracks for 200 men, this was the largest fort built in Rhode Island during the war. The redoubt still exists on Butts Hill (aka Windmill Hill) behind the American Legion Post on Sprague Street, along with nearby markers. Scene of the August 1778 Battle of Rhode Island. The British recaptured the fort and the Patriots retreated back to Tiverton. Lack of cooperation from the French fleet was blamed on the American defeat. Probably used by French troops in 1781. A museum and/or visitor center is planned in the future. See also Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project
Turkey Hill Fort
A Patriot fort located on Turkey Hill built during the August 1778 advance on Newport.
Quaker Hill Fort
A Patriot fort built during the August 1778 advance on Newport. Located on Quaker Hill along Middle Road, south of Butts Hill and Turkey Hill.
Fogland Ferry Fort
(1776 - 1777), Portsmouth
A British redoubt located near Sandy Point, opposite Fogland Point.
¤¤ American Revolution Defenses of Greater Newport
NOTE: Newport (and all of Aquidneck Island) was occupied by the British from December 1776 to October 1779. The French occupied the city from July 1780 to September 1781 while their fleet was anchored there.
According to a French map there were 39 forts and batteries located in the Newport and Middletown areas in 1780 - 1781.
¤¤ Lawton's Valley Fort
(1776), Lawtons, Middletown
A British fort on the west side of the island.
¤¤ Honeyman's Hill Fort
A Patriot fort built during the August 1778 advance on Newport.
¤¤ Barker's Hill Fort
(1776 or 1778), Middletown
A British redoubt on Barker Hill, near Vaucluse Ave..
¤¤ Bliss Hill Fort
A Patriot fort built during the advance on the British lines at Green End Fort nearby.
¤¤ Green End Fort
(1780 - 1781), Middletown
A Patriot/French redoubt located at the northwest corner of Green End Pond on Vernon Ave.. Still exisits in a small park.
NOTE: The monument (1924) on site mistakes it for a nearby British redoubt (Card's Redoubt (1776 - 1779)) that was located 825 feet to the north, which was at the eastern end of the British defensive lines around Newport. It was attacked by Patriots in August 1778.
¤¤ Owl's Nest Fort
(1778 - 1779), Gould Island
A British fort built by a Capt. Wallace.
¤¤ Coddington's Cove Fort
(1778 - 1779), Newport
A British elliptical fort located at present-day Coddington Field at Coddington Highway and Maple Ave.. Trace remains may still exist (?).
The British also built a heavy gun battery called Coddington's Point Fort nearby at the point overlooking the Cove.
¤¤ Tonomy Hill Fort
(Miantonomi Memorial Park)
(1776 - 1780's, 1794), Newport
A Patriot redoubt located on Miantonomi Hill. It was later reworked by the British in their defensive lines. Still extant in the park around the present WWI Memorial tower (1929). A blockhouse or guard house was later built here in 1794. Became a city park in 1921.
Just to the north on Little Tonomy Hill (aka Sunset Hill), also within the park, are the extant remains of a 1778 British redoubt. This section was added to the park in 2006, and the entire park is protected by easement under the Aquidneck Island Land Trust.
¤¤ Towering Hill Fort
(1776 - 1780's, 1799), Newport
Part of the British defensive lines around the city, located one mile east of North Battery. A blockhouse was later built here in 1799. (NOTE: this may actually be the same site as Tonomy Hill.)
¤¤ Coaster's Island Fort
(1779), Coasters Harbor Island
A Patriot earthwork erected after the British left town.
¤¤ Rose Island Fort ?
(1778 - 1781), Rose Island
A British battery was on the island in 1778, and in 1780-81 the French built a 40-gun fort here after the British left Newport.
Fort Hamilton (see page 3) was built on the island in 1798.
¤¤ Fort Washington
(1700 - 1794), Goat Island
Originally an unnamed battery, rebuilt and named Fort Anne in 1702, with 12 guns. Abandoned in 1724. Renamed Fort George in 1730, it was rebuilt again with up to 50 guns, completed in 1735. Known briefly as Fort Liberty in 1776, with 25 guns, before it was captured by the British, who then renamed it Fort George again. After the British left town in 1779, the Patriots regarrisoned it as Fort Washington, with 28 guns. The French Marines used the fort in 1780 and 1781. Abandoned in 1784. The 28-gun fort later became Fort Wolcott in 1794/1798 (see page 3). Located about midway on the western shore of the island. Now a developed area.
¤¤ North Battery
(1776 - 1779), Newport
A semi-circular eight-gun redoubt located at Eaton's (or Dyer) Point, opposite Goat Island. The original unnamed Patriot work was never completed before the British took the city. Enlarged by the British, then leveled in 1779 when the British evacuated the city. Marker at the seawall at Battery Park (became a city park in 1891), at Washington and Battery Streets. This later became the site of Fort Greene (1) in 1798 (see page 3).
¤¤ Fort Denham
(1780 - unknown), Newport
Built by the French as Fort Chastellux, covering the batteries at Goat Island. After the war it was renamed Fort Harrison. It was rebuilt and renamed again in 1798. Located on Hallidon Hill, between Berkeley and King Streets, near King Park.
Newport Powder House
(1755 - 1871), Newport
A colonial powder house was once located at Gallows Field. It was replaced by a new municipal powder magazine in 1871 near Easton's Beach.
¤¤ Castle Hill Fort
(1776), Castle Hill, Newport
This Patriot battery was not completed before the British captured the city. The Castle Hill Lighthouse is nearby, built in 1890.
¤¤ Brenton's Point Fort ?
(1776 - 1781), Newport
This point was fortified as early as 1641 with four guns, and again in 1683 with two guns, known as Brenton's Battery. Refortified in the 1750's. The British built Brenton Point Barracks in 1776. It was destroyed when they left in 1779. The French rebuilt it in 1780 and used it until 1781. Fort Adams (see page 3) was built here beginning in 1793.
¤¤ Fort Conanicut
(Fort Wetherill State Park)
(1776 - 1824), Jamestown
Used by three different armies during the American Revolution. It was originally the Patriot eight-gun Dumpling Rock Battery (1776) or Fort Brown; then the British Fort Dumpling Rock (1776 - 1779). The French used the fort after the British left. Named Fort Conanicut from 1779 - 1800. A circular stone tower with casemates mounting eight guns was erected in 1798, named Dumplings Tower. It was also known as Fort Louis (1800) (unofficial), and Fort Dumplings (1800 - 1824). In 1818 it was a ten-gun fort. The last remnants of the fort were later destroyed in 1898 and replaced by construction of Fort Wetherill (see page 3). A WWI era double observation station (now ruins) is located on the site of the old stone tower.
¤¤ Eldred's One-Gun Battery
A Patriot work located on the eastern side of Conanicut Island. It was captured by the British.
¤¤ Conanicut Battery (Historic Park)
(1776 - 1781), Jamestown
Along with Beaver Tail Fort at Beavertail Point, these two Patriot forts were captured by the British in 1776, and used by them until 1779. They were also used by the French Marines in 1780 and 1781. This was also known as Prospect Hill Fort (1) and as Beaver Head Battery. The current earthworks here are of British construction, located just south of Fort Getty Road on Battery Lane, overlooking the West Passage. It has been restored as a 22-acre town park. Also located here on Prospect Hill are six concrete observation stations for the former gun batteries at nearby Fort Getty.
Dutch Island Trading Post
(1630's), Dutch Island
A Dutch trading post was once located here. The island's name reflects that heritage.
Rhode Island Mainland - page 1 | Narragansett Bay II - page 3
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com