Camp Alexander |
Camp Apache |
Fort Apache |
Camp Ash Creek |
Camp Beale's Springs | Camp at Bear Spring | Camp Brodie | Camp Canby | Fort Canby
Camp Cañon de Chelly | Camp Carroll | Camp Clark | Camp Colorado (1)
Camp Colorado (2) | Camp Colorado Chiquito | Camp on the Colorado River
Camp at Corner Rock | Camp Curtis | Camp on Date Creek | Fort Defiance (2)
Camp Devin | East Fort | Detachment at Ehrenberg | Camp Florilla | Fort Garrett
Camp Globe | Camp Granite Reef Dam | Camp Grierson | Camp Hentig | Camp Holbrook
Camp Hualpai | Fort Hualpai | Camp Ilges | Infantry Camp, Pinal Mountains
Camp at Jacob's Well | Camp on Lake Carleton | Camp La Paz | Lee's Fort
Camp Lemon Ranch | Camp Lewis (1) | Camp Lincoln (1) | Camp Lincoln (2)
Camp McCleave | Fort McDonald | Camp McDowell | Fort McDowell
Camp McPherson | Camp Mansfield | Camp Miami | Camp Miller | Fort Milligan
Fort Misery (1) | Fort Misery (2) | Camp Mogollon | Camp Mohave | Fort Mohave
Fort Moroni | Fort Navajo | Camp Oak Creek | Camp O'Connell | Ojo de les Lemilas Post
Camp Ord | Camp Peach Springs | Camp Picket Post | Camp Pinal | Camp Pomeroy
Prescott Barracks | Camp Rawlins | Camp Reno | Fort Rickerson | Camp Rio San Francisco
Fort Rock | Camp Rock Spring | Fort Rock Spring | Camp Roosevelt Dam | Camp San Carlos
Post at San Carlos | Camp Schroeder | Camp Skull Valley | South Fort | Camp Sunset
Camp Supply (1) | Camp Thomas (1) | Camp Toll Gate | Camp Tonto | Fort Tule
Camp at Turkey Creek | Camp Tuthill | Fort Tuthill | Fort Tyson | Fort Utah | Fort Valley
Camp Verde (1) | Camp Verde (2) | New Camp Verde | Fort Verde | Camp on the Verde River
Camp on Walnut Creek | Whipple Barracks | Camp Whipple | Whipple Depot
Fort Whipple | Post at Wickenburg | Camp Willow Grove | Winsor Castle
Southern Arizona - page 2
FORTS AND FIGHTS OF THE MOUNTAIN WEST
ARIZONA HISTORY REFERENCE GUIDES
FORT WIKI - ARIZONA
Camp Cañon de Chelly
(1849), near Chinle
A temporary Federal encampment located two miles northwest from the mouth of the canyon.
Fort Defiance (2)
(Navaho Indian Reservation)
(1851 - 1861, 1863 - 1864), Fort Defiance
The first Federal fort in the state. Located at the mouth of Cañon Bonito on the west side of Black Creek. Abandoned in 1861 for Fort Fauntleroy, NM, but regarrisoned in 1863 by New Mexico Volunteers under Col. Kit Carson, and renamed Fort Canby. Abandoned and then burned by the Indians in 1864, with only the walls remaining. In 1868 the abandoned post became the Navajo Indian Agency. The site is currently in use by the Navajo Nation as the Tribal Headquarters. All that currently remains of the old post is a three-story stone building from the Indian Agency period.
(1863), near St. Michaels
A temporary camp located seven miles south of Fort Defiance (2), established by CA Volunteers. Also known as Camp at Corner Rock.
Hubbell Trading Post (National Historic Site)
(Navajo Indian Reservation)
(1878 - 1967/present), Ganado
Not really a fort, but historically important in the developement of Arizona. Operated by the NPS since 1967. There are several trading posts on the Navajo Reservation, most are not of any historic importance.
* Listed for historical interest only *
(1863 - 1864), near Ganado ?
A base of operations used by Col. Kit Carson and the NM Volunteers against the Navajos, supposedly located 28 miles southwest of Fort Defiance (2). Possibly existed as such only on maps of the period, as the then abandoned Fort Defiance (2) was known as "Fort Canby" by these same troops. Possibly also created as a ruse to confuse Confederate spies.
One of Kit Carson's camps, located near Cross Canyon.
Camp at Jacob's Well
(1863), south of Sanders
A NM Volunteers post ?
Camp Supply (1)
(1863), near Holbrook
A temporary supply camp used by Kit Carson, located on the north bank of the Little Colorado River, two miles east of town.
A temporary Federal encampment.
(1858 - 1882), near Winslow
Originally established by the Army's Camel Corps. Used intermittently by trappers, Mormon settlers, and the military until the railroad came through the area in 1882. Located six miles east of town. A post office was established here in 1876.
Camp Colorado Chiquito
(1863), near Winslow ?
An Army camp on the Little Colorado River in Canyon Diablo.
(1858), Navajo Indian Reservation
A temporary Federal camp. Exact location unknown, possibly sited in New Mexico (?).
Ojo de les Lemilas Post
(1860), Navajo Indian Reservation
A temporary post supposedly located about 100 miles northwest of Fort Defiance (2). Exact location undetermined.
(Glen Canyon National Recreational Area)
(1871 - 1880's ?), Lee's Ferry
A Mormon stone fort, restored by the National Park Service. It was built to protect the ferry that once operated here from 1871 - 1928. The ferry was run by John Doyle Lee, a wanted fugitive at the time, for only two years (1874 - 76) before he was captured by U.S. marshalls and executed. The fort was converted to a trading post soon after.
(Pipe Spring National Monument)
(1870 - 1888), Moccasin
A Mormon-built red sandstone-walled fort with two double-story sandstone buildings, located on the Kaibab Indian Reservation. Sold by the Mormons in 1888. Acquired by the NPS in 1923 with the creation of the park. Preserved and maintained by the National Park Service.
(unknown dates), near Pearce Ferry
Not really a fort, it was a crude 12x14-foot rock shanty built on the north side of the Colorado River by a man named Garrett and Bill Shanley when they were living in that area. There are no roads leading to it. You must hike or go on horseback. Located within the 1976 addition to the Grand Canyon National Park.
(1859 - 1861, 1863 - 1890), Fort Mohave
A Federal fort on the Colorado River at Beale's Crossing to protect the ferry to Needles, California. It was abandoned and burned in 1861, the troops transferring to Los Angeles, CA to quell a civil disturbance there. It was initially known as Camp Colorado (1). Renamed Camp Mohave (1863 - 1879) after the post was reactivated by CA Volunteers. This post was most likely the "Fort Navajo" that Gen. James Carleton described in 1862 dispatches, to mislead Confederate spies in California. Adobe structures were built in 1870. Turned over to the Fort Mohave Indian Reservation in 1890 for use as an Indian school, but closed in 1935. The buildings were torn down in 1942, but some ruins remain.
(NOTE: "Mohave" is generally spelled today with an "h" east of the Colorado River, and spelled with a "j" west of the Colorado River. Both are pronounced the same. However, it was almost always spelled with a "j" in U.S. War Department records.)
Camp Colorado (2)
(1868 - 1871), Parker
A Federal tent camp, originally called Camp on the Colorado River, located on the Colorado River just west of town.
Camp La Paz
(1874 - 1875), La Paz
A temporary Army camp and supply depot located at an old mining town, about ten miles north of Ehrenberg, which had recently been abandoned at the time. Between 1862 and 1870 this was the site of a large colony of gold prospectors before it was abandoned. Portions of the ghost town were excavated by the National Park Service and the Chemehuevi Indian Nation in 1971.
Camp Lincoln (1), a subpost of Fort Yuma, was temporarily established here in 1864 by the CA Volunteers.
Detachment at Ehrenberg
A temporary detachment post from Camp La Paz to oversee supply shipments coming in from California. A Quartermaster storehouse was washed away in a flood in the early 1900's.
Fort (Charles) Tyson
A fortified Butterfield - Overland stage station (aka Tyson's Well Station). A small museum is currently located in the original building. Also here is the gravesite of Hadji Ali (Hi Jolly), a Syrian camel owner who helped the U.S. Army try to use camels instead of horses in the desert during the 1850's.
(1867), near McConnico ?
A temporary Federal camp located between Fort Mohave and Camp Beale's Springs.
Camp Beale's Springs
(1871 - 1874), near Kingman
Some ruins remain of this fortified stage station located a few miles northwest of town off of US 93. The Army also built 12 adobe buildings with shingle roofs and a three-tent hospital. Another website at GhostTowns.com
Camp Peach Springs
(1894), Peach Springs
A temporary subpost of Fort Whipple, it lasted about one month (July - August 1894).
Camp Willow Grove
(1867 - 1869), southeast of Valentine
A temporary Federal tent camp. Site is located on the north side of Willow Creek on private property, about 40 miles east of Kingman. Site excavated in 1966 by the Museum of Northern Arizona. Some ruins (stone fireplace pits) still remain.
Fort Rock Spring
(1866 ?), southwest of Seligman
Camp Rock Spring was a temporary camp and stage stop, located about two miles south of the Camp Willow Grove site. Shown on some maps, but probably never actually garrisoned by any Army troops.
(1864), Fort Rock, southwest of Seligman
A settlers' defense against Indians. Located about 60 miles northwest of Prescott along the present Mohave - Yavapai county line. Most likely the same site as above.
(1882 - unknown), Fort Valley
A Mormon log stockade located seven miles northwest of Flagstaff, built by the Moroni Cattle Company to protect its headquarters and cattle herd. Also called Fort Valley and Fort Rickerson.
Camp at Bear Spring
(1863 - 1864), near Flagstaff
A temporary encampment, believed to be located at today's Elden Spring, located four miles northeast of town.
(Coconino County Park and Recreation Area)
(1928 - 1955), near Flagstaff
An Arizona National Guard training area, located south of the city along AZ 89A. Known as Fort Tuthill from 1929-1948. Site now a county park and fairgrounds, adjacent to Pulliam Municipal Airport.
Camp on Lake Carleton
(1866 ?), Mormon Lake
A temporary Army camp noted on some maps, probably never actually built.
Camp on Oak Creek
(1881), near Sedona
A temporary subpost of Fort Verde, located in Oak Creek Canyon.
(1863), southern Coconino County
A temporary Federal camp. Exact location unknown. Replaced by Camp Clark one month later (November - December 1863).
(1869 - 1873), south of Seligman
An Army tent camp first known as Camp Devin, then renamed Camp Toll Gate until 1870. Located on a mesa overlooking Walnut (Mohave) Creek, one and one-half miles southeast of Aztec Pass and northeast of Mount Hope, within the present-day Prescott National Forest on Forest Road 95 about two miles west of its junction with Forest Road 6. Sometimes referred to as Fort Hualpai. Some rock foundations and fireplace pits still remain.
Located here or nearby in 1881 was Camp on Walnut Creek.
(1870 - 1871), near Simmons
A temporary subpost of Whipple Barracks located 17 miles southeast of Camp Hualpai, in the Williamson Valley west of Paulden.
Camp on Date Creek
(1867 - 1873), Date Creek, and Skull Valley
A Federal post originally located about three miles north of Date Creek. After only three months the post moved 25 miles north to Skull Valley, following the movements of the Indians, and was renamed Camp Skull Valley. It moved back to Date Creek after only two months, the former camp name being restored. By 1868 it moved two more times, but stayed in the general area of Date Creek. It was formally named Camp McPherson in 1868. Some rock wall and adobe ruins still remain at the final site on the Hawkins Ranch property (private), about 1.4 miles past the ranch headquarters.
Fort Whipple (V.A. Hospital)
(1864 - 1898, 1902 - 1918), Prescott
First known as Camp Clark in 1863 and located about 20 miles north of town (no trace of which remains, a marker is near Del Rio Ranch north of Chino Valley), then relocated in 1864 to its present site on the Yavapai Indian Reservation, renamed Camp Whipple. It was a large rectangular pine-log stockade located on Granite Creek. Rebuilt in 1869. Designated a fort in 1870, and the adjacent Whipple Depot (built 1864) then became a separate command. The post became the headquarters of the Military Department of Arizona. The depot burned down in 1872 but was rebuilt. The depot, renamed Prescott Barracks in 1878, was merged with Fort Whipple into one reservation called Whipple Barracks in 1879. The 1st Territorial Volunteer Infantry were mustered in here in July 1898. Abandoned in 1898, but regarrisoned in 1902. Placed on care-taker status in 1913. A Public Health Service Hospital was established here in 1918, later becoming the present Prescott Veterans Administration Hospital. It is still commonly referred to as the Fort Whipple Hospital. The Fort Whipple Museum is located in a former 1909 Officers' Quarters (Building #11) on the V.A. Hospital campus, jointly operated by the Sharlot Hall Museum and the V.A. Hospital.
Of interest in town at 415 West Gurley Street is the Sharlot Hall Museum with info on Prescott military history. Admission fee.
Fort Misery (1)
(Sharlot Hall Museum)
(1863 - 1920's), Prescott
A reproduction two-story log house, originally built on Granite Creek by Santa Fe trader Manuel Yrissari, that was also used as the first court and jail for the Arizona Territory in 1864. It was once attacked by Indians, and the prisoners in the jail were released to fight and were given their freedom after the battle. Later it became a boardinghouse and the locals gave it the nickname of "Fort Misery". It was still used as such until the 1920's. The Sharlot Hall Museum staff disassembled the cabin in 1934 and moved it two blocks north to the museum grounds. It was reconstructed again in 1997. This is reportedly the oldest log cabin in the state.
(1910's), near Prescott
Built by the U.S. Army for border patrols.
Camp Granite Reef Dam
(1910's), near Prescott
Built by the U.S. Army near Whipple Barracks during the Mexican border crisis.
(unknown dates), near Mayer
Located on Big Bug Creek about four miles above (northwest of) the town.
Fort Misery (2)
(unknown date), near Crown King
A mining camp and cabin built by Al Francis. Ruins remain.
Post at Wickenburg
A temporary Federal garrison post.
(State Historic Park)
(1864 - 1891), Camp Verde
Originally known as Camp on the Verde River, an outpost of Fort Whipple, located five miles south at the Verde River and West Clear Creek. Built by the NM Volunteers, and garrisoned by Army Regulars in 1866. The camp moved four miles north in 1866 and was renamed Camp Lincoln (1). Renamed Camp Verde (2) in 1868. Moved one mile further north to its present site near Beaver Creek in 1871, known as New Camp Verde. It was designated a fort in 1879. The government auctioned off the fort in 1891 and only four buildings (Officers' quarters) now survive. A museum is in one of these buildings. See also The Disassembly of Fort Verde from The Camp Verde Bugle
(thanks to Jerry Blanz for providing additional info)
(1867), near Camp Verde
A temporary overflow campsite on the Verde River near Camp Lincoln (1).
Camp Rio San Francisco
(1863), Yavapai County ?
A temporary camp, a subpost of Fort Whipple. Apparently located somewhere on the Verde River, as this river was known on some period maps, and not on the San Francisco River in Greenlee County.
Camp Lewis (1)
(1865 - 1870), west of Strawberry
A temporary Federal camp located on Fossil Creek near the Verde River, about 25 miles east of Camp Verde.
Fort (William) McDonald
(1878 - 1882), near Payson
A settlers' sandstone fort on a butte east of town, built during Indian troubles.
(1867 - 1870), near Punkin Center
A subpost of Fort McDowell in the Tonto Creek valley, with adobe and wood frame buildings surrounded by a stockade. Some adobe ruins remain at the site about two miles west of town near Reno Mountain. The "Battle of Big Dry Wash" was near here in 1868.
(1868), near Sunflower
A temporary Federal post on the road between Fort McDowell and Camp Reno.
(NOTE: Conflicting info: cited in Tonto Valley, Gila County - or - on the east side of Sycamore Creek, Sunflower Valley, Maricopa County)
(thanks to Marshall Sitrin for additional info)
(1867 - 1868), near Sunflower ?
A temporary Federal winter post on the road between Fort McDowell and Camp Reno.
(1867), near Fort McDowell
A temporary Federal post on Sycamore Creek, on the road between Fort McDowell and Camp Reno. Abandoned for Camp Carroll after about four months of use.
(1864), Gila County
A temporary NM Volunteers camp (December 1864). Undetermined exact location, probably somewhere on Tonto Creek.
Camp Roosevelt Dam
Built by the U.S. Army during the Mexican border crisis.
(1866), near Fort McDowell
Located at the confluence of the Salt (Salado) River and Verde River near the Fort McDowell Indian Reservation. This may have been a settlers' defense.
(Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation)
(1865 - 1891), Fort McDowell
Originally named Camp Verde (1) but soon thereafter renamed Camp McDowell. Designated a fort in 1879. Became the Yavapai Indian Agency in 1891. Located about six miles up the Verde River, some ruins remain, one adobe wall segment still stands.
Of interest nearby in North Phoenix is the Pioneer Arizona Living History Museum, located at 3901 West Pioneer Road. This is a recreated Old West town with restored and replica buildings portraying life during the Arizona Territory period. A replica stockade and adobe fort was built in the mid 1970's, originally intended to be a replica of Fort McDowell, but was later transformed into the fictional "Fort Woods", portraying a Confederate Texas Infantry post during the Civil War. See also Mojave Muleskinners.com
A Mormon settlers' adobe-walled fort, located about three miles north of Mesa.
(1870 - 1871), near Miami, and near Superior
Originally known as Infantry Camp, Pinal Mountains, located at the Pinal Ranch near the headwaters of Mineral and Pinto Creeks, six (or eleven ?) miles west of Miami. Abandoned in 1871 about two months after being renamed.
The post was then rebuilt as Camp Picket Post, located to the west on Queen Creek near Picket Post Butte, about one and one-half mile west of Superior, but was abandoned after only nine days. The mining town Pinal was later established here in 1877 when the Silver King Mine was opened.
Built by the U.S. Army for border patrols.
Built by the U.S. Army for border patrols, before World War I. Regarrisoned again during WWI.
Camp San Carlos
(San Carlos Apache Nation)
(1872 - 1875, 1882 - 1900), near San Carlos
A Federal cavalry camp located on the west bank of the San Carlos River about one mile above its confluence with the Gila River. Later re-established as Post at San Carlos in 1882, a subpost of Fort Grant. Reverted again to Camp San Carlos in 1894. Later became the San Carlos Apache Indian Agency after it was abandoned by the Army. All remaining buildings were destroyed in 1930 before the creation of the Coolidge Dam (built 1930) and the eventual impoundment of San Carlos Lake. Some ruins of Old San Carlos remain near the present lake shore, visible during times of low water. The San Carlos Apache tribal headquarters was relocated to the new town of San Carlos about eight miles upriver.
(1881, 1882), near San Carlos
Never established as an official military post. This was a transient campsite, originally called Camp Ash Creek, often used on trips between Old San Carlos and Fort Apache. Located on Ash Creek Flat, east of town.
(1864), near Peridot
A campsite that lasted three days, located 24 miles northwest of Fort Goodwin, about four miles up the San Carlos River from the Gila River. Ancient cliff dwellings were located here.
Camp at Turkey Creek
(1882), near Fort Apache
A temporary outpost of Fort Whipple, located 17 miles southwest of Fort Apache.
(Fort Apache Heritage Foundation)
(1870 - 1922), Fort Apache
Built at the end of a military road, the post guarded the nearby White Mountain Apache Indian Agency. Replaced Camp Goodwin. Previous names included Camp Ord, Camp Mogollon, and Camp Thomas (1), all during 1870. From 1871 to 1879 it was called Camp Apache. Became an Indian School after the Army left, still in use today. Several original buildings remain, including one that now houses a U.S. Post Office. Fort Apache Cultural Center is in a replica cabin. Nearby is a recreated 1880's Apache Indian village. Admission fee.
A settlers' stockade against Indians, located one mile east of town in Round Valley.
NEED MORE INFO: placenames in Yavapai County: Fort Tule near Castle Hot Springs; East Fort and South Fort near Crown King.
Camp Grierson (1889) unknown location. Camp Lemon Ranch (1864) unknown location.
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com