Fort Aiken |
Fort Andrew |
Fort Andrews |
Fort Assiniboine (1) |
Fort Assiniboine (2)
Baker's Post | Fort Belknap | Fort Benton (2) | Camp Big Spring Creek | Fort of the Blackfeet
Brown's Post | Fort Browning | Fort Brulé | Fort Campbell | Tom Campbell's Post
Canoe Camp | Fort Carroll | Carroll Landing Post | Fort Chardon | Fort Charles | Fort Clagett
Clark's Post | Fort Clay | Fort Conrad | Camp Cooke | Fort Cooke | Fort Copeland
Fort Copelin | Fort Cotton | Fort Cotton Bottoms | Fort Dauphin | Fort Dawson
Fort Fourchette | Fort Galpin | A. Hammell's Post (1) | A. Hammell's Post (2)
A. Hammell's Post (3) | A. Hammell's Post (4) | A. Hammell's Post (5) | Fort Hawley
Fort Henry (1) | Fort Henry (4) | Fort Honoré | Fort Jackson | F. Janneau's Post (1)
F. Janneau's Post (2) | Judith Landing Post | Fort Kaiser | Fort Keiser | Kerchival City Post
Fort Kipp | Joseph Kipp's Post | Fort La Barge | Camp Lewis | Fort Lewis (1) | Fort Lewis (2)
Fort Lewis (3) | Camp Loder | Lower Portage Camp | Fort McKenzie | McKenzie's Post
Fort Maginnis (2) | Fort Manuel | Fort Moffat | Fort Moffit | Camp Morris | Fort Musselshell
Ophir Post | Camp Otis | Fort Peck | Pickett's Corral | Fort Piegan (1) | Fort Piegan (2)
Camp Poplar River | Fort Poplar | Poplar River Post | Power's Post | C. Price's Post (1)
C. Price's Post (2) | Reed's Fort | Camp Reeve | Camp Reynolds | Rivet's Post
Roberts' Post | Cantonment Rocky Point | Rocky Point Post | Roulette's Post | Fort Shaw
Fort Sheridan | Fort Sherman | Fort Standoff | Fort Stewart (1) | Fort Stewart (2)
Story's Fort | Sublette and Campbell's Post | Fort Turnay | Wilder's Landing Post
Wolf Point Post
Southeastern Montana - page 2 | Western Montana - page 3
FORTS AND FIGHTS OF THE MOUNTAIN WEST
OLD FORTS TRAIL
FORT WIKI - MONTANA
Fort Henry (1)
(1810 - 1812 ?), Bainville
A St. Louis Missouri Fur Co. trading post built by Andrew Henry.
Fort Stewart (1)
(1858 - 1860), Fort Kipp
A Frost, Todd and Co. trading post built by Malcolm Clark in the summer of 1858. Transferred to Clark, Primeau and Co. in November 1859, then bought out by the American Fur Co. in 1860 and closed. Abandoned and then burned by Indians. Located on the Missouri River about five miles above Big Muddy Creek (within the present Fort Peck Indian Reservation), about nine miles west of Culbertson.
(1859 - 1860), Fort Kipp
An American Fur Company trading post only 600 feet away from Fort Stewart (1). Named for James Kipp. Abandoned and then burned by Indians.
Fort Stewart (2)
(1861 - 1862), Fort Kipp
A trading post built by Charles Larpenteur and Robert Lemon, occupying the same site as Fort Kipp, because usable chimneys were still standing there. Sold in the spring of 1862 to La Barge, Harkness and Co..
(1862 - 1863), Fort Kipp
An American Fur Co. trading post at or near the site of Fort Kipp/Stewart (2), built (or established) by one of the Roulette brothers (probably Joseph Jr.) in August 1862. It was a picketed enclosure with three buildings. Also known as Fort Moffat (or Moffit). In June 1863 it was attacked and burned by Assiniboine Indians who felt Roulette had cheated them. Roulette had slipped away, but seven others were killed.
Owen McKenzie's Post
(1862 - 1863), near Brockton
A trading post built in August 1862 by La Barge, Harkness and Company, located on the north bank of the Missouri River between Big Muddy Creek and the Poplar River. Owen was the son of Kenneth McKenzie of the American Fur Company. Owen was killed in a drunken brawl with rival trader Malcom Clark in June 1863.
Poplar River Post
(1860 - 1861), Poplar
A winter post built by independent traders Charles Larpenteur and Robert Lemon.
Malcolm Clark's Post
(1860 - 1861), Poplar
An American Fur Co. winter post in direct competition with Poplar River Post. Also known as Fort Poplar.
Camp Poplar River
(1880 - 1893, intermittant), Poplar
An Army cantonment, located on the south bank of the Poplar River, just above the trading posts, two miles north of the Missouri River.
Fort Assiniboine (1)
(1834 - 1835, 1835 - 1836), near Poplar
A temporary 100-foot square stockaded American Fur Co. trading post and depot on the Missouri River, somewhere near the mouth of the Poplar River, where the steamboat Assiniboine, in the summer of 1834, went aground on a sandbar, during the first known attempt to ascend the river past Fort Union. Unable to free the vessel before winter, the traders built a suitable post for the duration. The boat was not freed until the following March. The American Fur Co. used the site again during the next winter season. Exact location undetermined.
Wolf Point Post
(1885), Wolf Point
A civilian trade post on Wolf Creek.
(1861 - 1863 ?), near Oswego
A trading post originally built by the firm of Bruguier and Booge, located on the north bank of the Missouri River near the mouth of Prairie Elk Creek. The American Fur Co., under Robert Meldrum, took it over in 1863.
(1833 - 1834), near Park Grove
An American Fur Co. 50-foot square palisaded winter camp built by trader C.S. (or Francis A. ?) Chardon in December 1833, located on the Missouri River near the mouth of the Milk River, about ten miles below the present Fort Peck Dam.
Shortly after Fort Jackson was built, William Sublette and Robert Campbell sent a trader from Fort William (1) (Buford, North Dakota) to open an opposition post nearby (Sublette and Campbell's Post (early 1834)). Exact location undetermined.
Fort (Louis) Dauphin
(1860 - 1865), near Nashua
An independent trader's one-room log cabin located near the mouth of the Milk River, probably about eight miles below near Little Porcupine Creek. Dauphin may have moved his post each season anywhere between the Poplar and Milk Rivers. Dauphin was killed by Sioux Indians in 1865, and the post was noted as ruins by 1867.
(1865 - unknown), near Nashua
A trading post and supply depot on the Milk River for the Montana and Idaho (Steamboat) Transportation Line, operated by John Copelin and John Roe. It was still in operation in 1867. Also spelled Copeland in some sources.
Louis Rivet's Post
(1867), near Nashua
An independent trading post on the "Big Bend" of the Milk River. It lasted for only one season.
Fort Charles Galpin
(1862 - 1864), near Fort Peck
A La Barge, Harkness and Co. fur trade post built by Charles Larpenteur on the north bank of the Missouri River at Moose Point, about 12 miles above the Milk River. After it was closed, the buildings were re-occupied by settlers and/or independant merchants for several years. Site now underwater (Fort Peck Lake).
(1867 - 1879), Fort Peck
Located about one mile above (west of) the site of the present-day dam, on the north side of the Missouri River, it was the fortified trading post of the Durfee and Peck Co., and between 1871 and 1879 also served double duty as the Milk River Indian Agency (aka Fort Peck Agency). It was a 300-foot square log palisade with five bastions (blockhouses) and enclosing various log structures. The site of the fort is now underwater due to erosion of the bluff and the construction of the Fort Peck Dam (1933-40).
(1865), near Fort Peck
A short-lived trading post located somewhere near the present town of Fort Peck, probably below Big Dry Creek. It was apparently built to store goods for the river steamer Hattie May. It was noted as ruins by 1867. Also spelled Keiser in some sources.
Augustin Hammell's Post (5)
(1850's and/or 1860's), unknown location
A short-lived temporary American Fur Co. satellite post on the south bank of the Missouri River, somewhere below the mouth of the Musselshell River.
(1870 - unknown), near Regina
A Durfee and Peck Co. trading post located on Fourchette Creek. The creek was also spelled "Porchette" in some early sources.
(1870 - 1874), near Valentine
Kerchival City Post (1866 - 1868) was first established on the Missouri River at the Musselshell River (Crooked Creek), but the settlement was abandoned. Fort Musselshell (1868 - 1870) was then built by the Montana Hide and Fur Co. on the south bank of the Missouri River to attract settlers to the newly created town of Musselshell (not the present town further south in Musselshell County). The Army arrived and built the stockaded tent camp Camp Reeve (1868) in close proximity to the town, until the new town could be well established. The town of eight buildings and 50 settlers was attacked by the Sioux in March 1869. The Montana Hide and Fur Co. abandoned the town in August 1870. The stockaded Fort Sheridan trade post was built by "Colonel" George Clendennin, after the abandonment of Fort Musselshell, who continued to trade here. Replaced by Fort Carroll when that town (Carroll) was founded. A state marker is located on MT 200 just east of Mosby.
(1879), near Valentine
A temporary Army post located near Fort Sheridan on the Musselshell River at Lodge Pole Creek.
(1862 - 1863), near Valentine
An American Fur Co. 125-foot square vertical log palisaded trading post located on the north bank of the Missouri River about 15 miles upstream from the Musselshell River, built and operated by George Steell. Also known as Fort Andrew Dawson in some accounts. Sometimes misspelled as Fort Andrews. Noted in 1866 as burned ruins. Presumed site probably flooded by the Fort Peck Reservoir.
(1866 - 1867), near Valentine
A trading post built by Louis Rivet for the Hubble and Hawley Co.. Located on the south bank of the Missouri River about 20 miles upriver from the Musselshell River. Presumed site flooded by the Fort Peck Reservoir.
(1874 - 1882), near Valentine
Located on the Missouri River about 25 miles upstream from the Musselshell River. A trading post and steamboat landing also called Carroll Landing Post, built by the Diamond 'R' Transportation Co.. Replaced Fort Sheridan. An Army garrison was here in 1874 - 1875. The town of Carroll was later abandoned.
Cantonment Rocky Point
(1881 - 1882), near Valentine
A temporary Army camp and government landing on the Missouri River during the building of Fort Maginnis (2). Rocky Point Post, a civilian trading post of the (Charles) C.A. Broadwater and Co., was also here during that time. Located 11 miles upstream from Fort Carroll. Probably the same site as Wilder's Landing Post (1875).
Also here at Rocky Point was Joseph Kipp's Trade Post (1881 - 1882). Joseph was the son of James Kipp of the American Fur Co..
Brown's Trade Post
A civilian trading post located on Flatwillow Creek.
Fort Maginnis (2) (State Monument)
(1880 - 1890), near Maiden
A Federal fort built on Ford's (or Forge) Creek to protect settlers and cattlemen. It was abandoned, and later dismantled by the citizens of Lewistown where some of the houses were rebuilt. Four miles southwest is the ghost town Giltedge. Some ground depressions still remain, as well as the remains of the old Post Cemetery. See also The Building of Fort Maginnis on RootsWeb.com
(1873 - 1874), Lewistown
A private trading post of the Story and Hoffman Co. of Bozeman on the south bank of Big Spring Creek, below Casino Creek, operated by Peter Koch. Also known as Nelson Story's Fort. It was sold to "Major" Alonzo Reed and a Mr. Bowles, and relocated (see below).
"Major" Alonzo Reed's Fort
(1874 - 1888), Lewistown
A private trading post (log cabin) that replaced Fort Sherman. Reed was not known to be a genuine Army major. Became the town's first post office in 1881, known as Reed's Fort. Reed and his trading partner Bowles sold out to Frank Day in 1882. The town was renamed in 1883. Located about 1.5 miles down Big Spring Creek from Fort Sherman. The original cabin, later converted to a post office, still survives, located in a city park below the mouth of Casino Creek.
Francis Janneau's Post (2)
(1879 - 1882), Lewistown
A 100-by 150-foot stockaded trading post with two bastions (blockhouses). Also spelled Janeaux or Juneaux.
A temporary Federal camp located two miles southeast of town to guard the wagon road. A sub-post of Fort Shaw originally called Camp Big Spring Creek. A small plaque is located on Main Street between 3rd and 4th Aves..
(1844 - 1845), near Everson
An American Fur Co. trading post built by trader Francis A. Chardon on the north bank of the Missouri River just below the mouth of the Judith River. Also known in records as Fort F.A. Chardon, or Fort F.A.C.. It replaced Fort McKenzie, and was then replaced in turn by Fort Lewis (1). Alexander Culbertson replaced Chardon in the summer of 1845, before he left to build Fort Lewis (1) upriver. The abandoned post was burned down by company employees in either late 1845 or early 1846.
(1870 - 1878/1880's), near Everson
A trading post and depot built by the T.C. Power and Brothers Co., originally located on the south side of the Missouri River above the Judith River, known as Fort Cooke until renamed in 1872. The post was moved to Judith Landing on the east side of the mouth of the Judith River in 1878 (Judith Landing Post). Sold to Major Gilman Norris of the Merchantile and Cattle Company in 1883, and operated for several more years. One building still remains (?) on a nearby private ranch.
(1866 - 1870), near Everson
A stockaded Army post located about one mile west of the mouth of the Judith River. Most of the garrison transferred to Fort Shaw in 1867, leaving only a detachment force behind. No remains.
Roberts' Trade Post
(1871), near Judith Gap
A trade post located on Elk Creek about six miles above town.
Tom Campbell's Post
(1870 - 1871), near Hinsdale
A short-lived Durfee and Peck Co. post on the south bank of the Milk River just below Little Rocky Creek.
(1872 - 1879 ?), near Hinsdale
A Durfee and Peck Co. trading post located on Frenchman's Creek about 12 miles north of the Milk River. Provided winter shelter for 100 Canadian Metis families during one year. Used by the United States Northern Boundary Survey team on another occasion. Also known as Francis Janneau's Post (1) (alt. sp. Janeaux, Juneaux).
(1871 - 1874), unknown location
A Durfee and Peck Co. trading post on the Milk River at Medicine Rock. In the autumn of 1874 it was managed by Francis Janneau.
Augustin Hammell's Post (1)
(1850's), unknown location
A short-lived temporary American Fur Co. satellite post located somewhere on the Milk River.
Isaac Baker's Post
(1868 - 1869), near Dodson
A trade post built by C.W. Price for the I.G. Baker Company, located on the south bank of the Milk River one or two miles east of Woody Creek.
(1868 - 1872), near Dodson
A Northwest Fur Co. (formerly Hubble and Hawley) trading post located on the south bank of the Milk River, west of Peoples Creek, two miles southwest of town. Became an Indian Agency subpost for the Gros Ventre (Atsina) and Crow Indians in 1869.
C.W. Price's Post (1)
(1870 - unknown), near Coburg
A trade post built and managed by C.W. Price for the I.G. Baker Co., located about three miles west of Fort Browning.
(1866), near Harlem
A civilian trade post.
(1871 - 1886), near Chinook
A Durfee and Peck Co. trading post on the south bank of the Milk River, built by Abe (or Abel) Farwell. Became an Indian Agency in 1872, replacing Fort Browning. The second Fort Belknap Indian Agency, located 30 miles east at the present town of Fort Belknap, adopted the name later in 1888.
C.W. Price's Post (2)
(1872 ?), near Lohman
A trade post built and managed by C.W. Price for the I.G. Baker Co., located about ten or twelve miles east of Havre.
Fort Assiniboine (2) (Historical Site)
(Montana State University - Northern Agricultural Research Center)
(1879 - 1911), near Havre
At one time this was the largest Army post (in acreage) west of the Mississippi River. The post consisted largely of brick-built buildings. Located on Beaver Creek four miles above the Milk River, six miles southwest of town, it was built primarily to prevent Sitting Bull and his followers from returning from Canada. It became a state Agricultural Experiment Station in 1913 and most of the original buildings were then torn down. A guardhouse and Officers' quarters remain. Tours in season by appointment only. Artifacts are on display at the H. Earl Clack Museum in town. See also Visit Montana.com || The Montana Fort Assiniboine by Doug Minor
Camp Otis (1886 - 1910 ?) was a "summer camp" and trans-shipment landing point for men and materiél from the Missouri River to Fort Assiniboine (2), located at Coal Banks Landing, about 20 miles below the mouth of the Marias River, just below (east of) Virgelle.
T.C. Power's Post
A trade post built for the T.C. Power and Brothers Co., located on the Milk River at Big Sandy Creek.
Fort Piegan (1)
(1831 - 1832), Loma
An American Fur Co. wintering post built by James Kipp on the north side of the Missouri River just above the mouth of the Marias River, near a former campsite of the Lewis and Clark Expedition (June 1805). Alternatively the post may have been located on a small island in the confluence of the two rivers. Consisted of three log cabins within a stockade. Burned by Indians in the spring after it was abandoned.
(1832 - 1844), near Loma
An American Fur Co. trading post, also called Fort Piegan (2), located on the north bank of the Missouri River about six or seven miles above the mouth of the Marias River. Operated by David Mitchell. Originally built in the late summer or fall of 1832, it was rebuilt somewhat larger in the summer of 1833 as a 1,420 square-foot quadrangular stockade fort with two blockhouses and several cannon. Burned by the company as it was being abandoned in the spring of 1844, after a deadly incident in February so angered the local Blackfoot Indians. The site was later referred to as Fort Brulé (the "burned fort"). Replaced by Fort Chardon.
(1864 - 1865), near Loma
Located on the south bank of the Marias River near its confluence with the Missouri River. A short-lived "trading post" created as an emergency measure when the steamboat Cutter failed during the winter. Abandoned in May 1865 after being attacked by Blood Indians.
Fort Benton (2)
(1847 - 1881), Fort Benton
Located at River Front Park, the original northeast blockhouse and an adobe barracks wall still remain. The rest of the post is a modern reconstruction begun in the 1990's. This was the last navigable steamboat port on the upper Missouri River, the first steamboats arrived in June 1862. Originally built by the American Fur Co. as Fort Clay, a cottonwood log stockade, it was also still known as Fort Lewis (3), after the post it had just replaced three miles upstream. Informally known as "Fort Benton" by some traders as early as 1848, it was not officially renamed until December 1850 after the wooden walls were already beginning to be replaced with adobe, which continued until 1858. This is considered the state's first permanent white settlement. The post was sold in 1866 to the I.G. Baker Company. The Army took control of the fort in 1869 after whiskey traders caused trouble here and in Canada. The Army transferred to rented quarters in town in 1874, but still used the old fort as a warehouse. Fort Benton was the southern terminus of the so-called "Whoop-Up Trail" into Canada. (see also Fort Conrad below, and Fort Whoop-Up, and others, in ALBERTA.)
(1845 - 1860), Fort Benton
A Harvey, Primeau and Co. log stockade trading post originally located on the south bank of the Missouri River, built by Alexander Harvey. Moved in 1847 across the river, one mile west (upstream) of Fort Benton (2), and rebuilt with adobe, the first such post in the state. Sold to the American Fur Company in 1857 and later abandoned by 1860. The adobe post became a Jesuit mission for the Flathead Indians in 1861, but only for a short while. Site marked at River and 12th Streets.
Fort La Barge
(1862 - 1863), Fort Benton
An adobe and timber trade post located 1.5 miles upriver from Fort Benton (2), built by James Harkness of the La Barge, Harkness and Co.. Joseph Picotte and then Robert Lemon were the post operators. Sold to the American Fur Company and dismantled. Site marked at River and 10th Streets.
Fort Lewis (2)
(1846 - 1847), near Fort Benton
Alexander Culbertson of the American Fur Company relocated Fort Lewis (1) here on the south bank of the Missouri River, east of Shonkin Creek, three miles upriver from Fort Benton (2). It was later moved again in May 1847 (Fort Benton (2)).
Originally located here was Fort Cotton, or Fort Cotton Bottoms (late 1842 or early 1843 - 1845), built by the Union Fur Company. It was abandoned and then burned in the fall of 1845.
Augustin Hammell's Post (4)
(1850's), unknown location
A short-lived temporary American Fur Co. satellite post on the Missouri River at Buffalo Island, a few miles above Fort Benton.
Fort Lewis (1)
(1845 - 1846), near Carter
A short-lived American Fur Co. trading post on the south bank of the Missouri River opposite Pablois Island, 18 miles upriver from Fort Benton (2). It was to replace Fort Chardon. Alexander Culbertson wanted to name the post Fort Honoré (after Honoré Picotte), but Picotte recommended it should instead be named after Meriwether Lewis. It was also known as Fort Henry (4) (a corruption of Honoré), or Fort of the Blackfeet. Dismantled and moved 15 miles downriver (Fort Lewis (2)).
Great Falls Camps
(1805, 1806), Great Falls
Two campsites of the Lewis and Clark Expedition on the Missouri River. Lower Portage Camp was located below the falls, and Canoe Camp was located above the falls. It took the Expedition eight days to bypass the falls with all their equipment and supplies. The sites were used again on the return trip eastward.
(1867 - 1891), Fort Shaw
Originally named Camp Reynolds for about one month. It was built to protect settlers in the Sun River Valley, and the road from Fort Benton (2) to Helena. After it was closed, the fort was used as an Indian School from 1892 until 1910. Some of the original buildings still exist; some private, some abandoned, and some used by the Fort Shaw Elementary School (since 1920). One of the former Officers' Quarters is now a museum, open only in the summer months.
Augustin Hammell's Post (2)
(1850's), unknown location
A short-lived temporary American Fur Co. satellite post on the Marias River, somewhere between Dry Fork and Birch Creek. Apparently not the same site as Hammell's Post (3) near Shelby.
(1875 - 1887), near Shelby
A stockaded trade post on the "Whoop-Up Trail" on the Marias River, about 15 miles south of town (about where the present railroad crosses the river, just west of MT 417), built by Charles Conrad. Bought by Joseph Kipp in 1878 and sold again sometime after that to James McDevitt. It was burned by Indians in 1887. The actual site has eroded away. This may have also been known as Fort Standoff, a whiskey traders' fort named after the incident where Joseph Kipp bluffed and eluded U.S. Marshalls from taking him into custody, tricking the lawmen into thinking they had crossed the border into Canada. (There is another Fort Standoff in southern Alberta.)
Augustin Hammell's Post (3)
(1853), near Shelby
A short-lived temporary American Fur Co. satellite post on the Marias River, about 15 to 20 miles below Birch Creek.
A temporary Army post on the west side of Cottonwood Creek near the Sweet Grass Hills.
NEED MORE INFO: Square Butte near Ulm called "Fort Mountain"; Nickwall Creek near Poplar also called "Indian Fort Creek".
Southeastern Montana - page 2 | Western Montana - page 3
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com