Fort Abercrombie |
Camp Aldrich |
Camp Ambler |
Camp Arnold |
Camp Austin | Camp Banks | Camp Barton | Camp Braden | Camp Briggs | Camp Buell
Camp Burt | Camp Carter | Chaboillez' Post | Camp Corning | Camp Cox | Crébassa's Post
Fort Cross | Fort Daer | Camp Defender | Post on Devils Lake | Double Ditch Village
Camp Edgerton | Camp Forbes | Camp Frémont | Camp Gilfallen | Gingras' Trading Post
Grand Forks House | Grand Forks Posts | Camp Grant | Camp Greeley | Camp Hackett
Hair Hills Post | Camp Hall | Camp Hancock | Fort Hancock | Camp Hayes | Fort Hays
Fort Henry (1) | Henry House (1) | Henry House (2) | Camp near James River | Camp Johnson
Camp Kennedy | Camp Kimball | Kittson's Post (1) | Kittson's Trading Post (2)
Lake Jessie Camps | Lake Johnson Camp | LeRoy's House | Camp Libby | Fort Lincoln (2)
Menoken Village | Camp Monroe | Camp Olin | Fort Pambian | Park River Post
Camp Parker | Fort Paubna | Fort Pembina (1) | Fort Pembina (2) | Pembina House
Pembina River House | Pembina Mountain Post | Camp Pfaender | Camp Pope
Fort Ransom | Fort Seward | Camp Sheardown | Sheyenne River Post | Camp Shoeneman
Camp Sibley | Camp Slaughter | Camp Smith | Camp Stees | Camp Stevens | Camp Sykes
Fort George Thomas | Fort Totten | Turtle River Posts | Upper Red River House
Camp Weiser | Camp Wharton | Camp Whitney | Camp Williston
Western North Dakota - page 2
FORT WIKI - NORTH DAKOTA
¤ Posts of the Red River Colony
History of Pembina from City of Pembina, ND
The Lord Selkirk Settlement at Red River from the Manitoba Historical Society
Pembina State Museum
¤ Fort Pambian
(1797 - 1799), Pembina
A North West Co. post, also called Charles Chaboillez' Post after its builder. Also known as Fort Paubna in some accounts. The buildings were later burned down in 1815. The site is in Selkirk Park on Stutsman Street, on the south side of the mouth of the Pembina River.
¤ Henry House (2)
(1801 - 1809), Pembina
A North West Co. stockaded post also called Fort Henry (1), built by Alexander Henry, located on the north bank of the Pembina River at its confluence with the Red River. Attacked by the Sioux in July 1808. Site located across Rolette Street from the site of Pembina House.
The XY Company also had a trade post (John Crébassa's Post) (1801 - 1803 ?) located in the near vicinity here on the north bank of the Pembina River.
¤ Pembina House
(1803 - 1823, 1845 - 1876), Pembina
A Hudson's Bay Co. trading post, sometimes referred to as Fort Pembina (1). Possibly first established in 1801 on the east bank of the Red River at present-day St. Vincent, MN (see also Pembina House, MINNESOTA page 2). A second trade post/store was later established here in 1845 by Henry Fisher. In 1863-64 the HBC store and grounds were briefly occupied by a detachment of Minnesota Volunteers during the Sioux Uprisings (Detachment at Pembina). Site located on Rolette Street.
The American Fur Company opened a trade post here (Norman Kittson's Post (1)) (1844 - 1860 ?). Operated by Joseph Roulette, Jr. after 1851.
¤ Fort Daer
(1812 - 1823), Pembina
A fortified Hudson's Bay Co. sponsored settlement post on the south bank of the Pembina River just above its confluence with the Red River, which experienced bitter friction with the nearby North West Co. post. In 1816 the "Nor'Westers" occupied this post for a few months. Named after James Dunbar, eldest son of Thomas Douglas, Lord Selkirk (aka Baron Daer). Monument erected in 1948 within the Fort Daer Landing and Recreation Area.
The Pembina (or Red River) settlement was formally established in September 1812 by British immigrant settlers (primarily Scots, with some Swiss) under the sponsorship of the Hudson's Bay Company. It was part of the larger Red River Colony in present-day Manitoba. When the international border was fixed at the 49th Parallel in 1818, the British ceded the upper Red River area and some of the outlying settlers then moved north. The rest of the colony moved north in 1823 when a land survey finally confirmed that the settlement on the Pembina River was actually within the United States. This was the first permanent white settlement in the state. (Pembina is pronounced "PEM-bih-naw".)
¤ Pembina River House
(1800 - 1805 ?), near Maida and Windygates, Manitoba
Also called Pembina Mountain Post and Hair Hills Post. It was established by the North West Company as a fur trade post, but it became known for its vegetable gardens. The post was relocated each season, which fluctuated around the later established U.S. - Canada border.
¤ Park River Post
(1800 - 1801), near Oakwood
A North West Co. trading post, built by Alexander Henry, located on the west side of the Red River, about a quarter-mile from the mouth of the Park River. Also known as Henry House (1).
¤ LeRoy's House
(1800), near Warsaw
A short-lived independent British trade post (possibly North West Co. ?). Located at or near the mouth of the Forest River, or possibly just south of there at the mouth of the Turtle River.
¤ Forest River Post
(1804), near Warsaw
A North West Co. post built by Alexander Henry, located on the Forest River.
¤ Turtle River Posts
(1802, 1812 - unknown), near Manvel
A North West Co. post built by John Cameron located on the Turtle River.
The Hudson's Bay Co. built a post in November 1812 on the Red River at the mouth of the Turtle River, 18 miles north of Grand Forks.
¤ Grand Forks Posts
(1807 - 1818 ?), Grand Forks
Also known as Grand Forks House, or Grandes Fourches, a North West Co. trading post built by John Cameron.
The Hudson's Bay Co. later operated a trade store here in 1875 - 1881.
¤ Upper Red River House
(1788 - 1790's), Grand Forks
A North West Co. trade post. Abandoned long before Grand Forks House was established.
Fort Pembina (2)
(1870 - 1895), Pembina
Originally called Fort George H. Thomas for about two months before it was renamed. Located just south of the town, it was built by the U.S. Army to keep watch over the Sioux and the growing civil disturbances of the Red River Settlements in Manitoba, and it also helped to suppress two raids into Canada by the armed Fenian Society. Much of the fort burned down in 1895 and the surviving buildings were auctioned off in 1902. One former Officers' Quarters may still exist in town. The post site is near the Pembina Airport.
Antoine Gingras' Trading Post
(State Historical Site)
(1843 - 1860's), Walhalla
Established by an independent French-Canadian Métis trader. The restored post is located on 129th Ave. NE. The town was once known as St. Joseph.
Norman Kittson's Trading Post (2)
(Walhalla State Historic Site)
(1851 - 1854), Walhalla
An American Fur Company trading post and store. Kittson was possibly trading here as early as 1843. Marker at site, about one mile west of Gingras' Post.
(State Historical Site)
(Devils Lake Sioux Indian Reservation)
(1867 - 1890), Fort Totten
Originally a log and adobe fort. Permanent brick buildings were built in 1870 when the Indian Reservation was established. Sixteen restored brick buildings remain and the park is considered to be the best preserved, and most scenic, Army post on the Northern Plains. The Fort Totten Indian Agency and boarding school moved into the former post from 1891 to 1935. Became a tuberculosis hospital from 1935 - 1940, then became an Indian vocational and community school from 1940 - 1959. Became a state park in 1960. Admission fee. Also located here is the Totten Trail Historic Inn.
This is also the site of a 1863 Sibley Expedition camp site, which became Post on Devils Lake in 1864, soon renamed Fort Hays before it was abandoned in 1864.
Lake Jessie Camps
(Lake Jessie SHS)
(1839, 1853, 1862, 1863, 1866), near Jessie
Located two miles west of town, this was a temporary encampment (July) of Joseph Nicollet and Lt. John C. Frémont's 1839 Topographical Expedition. Isaac Stevens and his railroad survey party also camped here in July 1853.
In July 1862 Camp Aldrich was a stopping point at the lake for the James Fisk emmigrant wagon train that year. Fisk's wagon trains also stopped here in July 1863, and again in 1866.
Lake Johnson Camp
(Lake Johnson SHS)
(1865), near Cooperstown
A temporary encampment of the 1865 Sully Expedition, located seven miles southwest of town.
A temporary staging and training encampment for state troops for the Spanish-American War, lasting only one month. Site located in the "Huntington Addition", at the end of Eighth Street between 17th and 18th Aves..
(State Historical Site)
(Friends of Fort Abercrombie SHS)
(1857 - 1878), Abercrombie
Reconstructed partial stockade and two blockhouses, plus the original restored guardhouse. This was the first Federal fort in the state, later becoming the terminus of the military mail routes from Forts Stevenson and Wadsworth (in SD). This was also the head of navigation on the Red River for trade to Fort Garry, Manitoba. Abandoned in 1859 due to river flooding, rebuilt in 1860 at its present location, without a stockade. The Sioux besieged the fort in September 1862 while most of the troops were sent away to the south. The stockade and blockhouses were built afterwards. The post buildings were sold to area settlers after 1880. Became a state park in 1903. Admission fee.
Sheyenne River Post
(1825 - unknown), Ransom County
An American Fur Company trading post. Located on the Sheyenne River about 50 miles from its juction with the Red River.
(State Historical Site)
(1867 - 1872), Fort Ransom
Built on Grizzly Bear Hill to protect the emmigrant trail across the plains. It was a log stockade with two blockhouses, within a dry moat. Replaced by Fort Seward when the Northern Pacific Railroad reached Jamestown. Cellar depressions and earthwork remnants still remain. Fort Ransom State Park, established in 1979, is located three miles north of the actual fort site, and has nothing to do with the historic post.
(Birch Creek State Historic Site)
(1863 - 1864), near Hastings
One of General Alfred Sully's expedition encampments to put down the Sioux Uprising. Located two miles east of town.
This was also the site of Lt. John C. Frémont's 1839 Topographical Expedition Camp Frémont.
(1872 - 1877), Jamestown
Built from materials from Fort Ransom after that fort was abandoned. Originally named Camp Sykes for one month, and then Fort Cross until early 1873. Everything was dismantled by the Army when the post was abandoned. In 1925 the site was donated for a state park by the Northern Pacific Railroad. The D.A.R. erected a monument here in 1929. The park is now maintained by the city, with a small interpretive center, at 605 10th Ave. NW. The site is located on a bluff where the railroad crosses the James River. Another marker is located nearby on Fourth Street NW.
(State Historical Site)
(1872 - 1877/1894), Bismarck
Originally named Camp Greeley until 1873 and served to protect the railroad. One of the original log barracks still exists, now planked over, and has been used as an exhibit area by the city, located at 117 Main Street. Camp Hancock (also known as Fort Hancock) later became a supply depot for Fort Abraham Lincoln (1), and was also a Signal Corps station.
Fort Abraham Lincoln (2)
(History of United Tribes and Fort Lincoln)
(1899 - 1966), Bismark
Established on the east side of the Missouri River just south of the city as a replacement for Fort Yates. It was garrisoned intermittently until World War II when it was used as a German POW and alien internment camp until 1946. Became the division headquarters of the Army Corps of Engineers in 1948 during the Garrison Dam Project. It was used as a Job Corps Training Center from 1966 to 1968. Became the United Tribes Technical College in 1969, which acquired full ownership of the site in 1974. Most of the original brick garrison buildings still exist.
Double Ditch Indian Village
(State Historical Site)
(1675 - 1780), near Bismarck
Ruins of a fortified Mandan village 12 miles north of the city.
Menoken Indian Village
(State Historical Site)
(1100 - unknown), Menoken
An early fortified Indian village.
Camps of General Henry H. Sibley's Sioux Campaign
(State Historical Sites)
(1863 - 1864)
The main Federal expedition to put down the 1862-63 Sioux Uprising. Individual camps of General Alfred Sully's expedition are listed elsewhere.
Camp Buell SHS, just west of DeLamere.
Camp Weiser SHS, just south of Kathryn.
Camp Sheardown SHS, about three miles south of Valley City. Rifle pits still remain.
Camp Arnold SHS, about five miles north of Oriska.
Camp Corning SHS, at the "Sibley Crossing" just south of Sibley.
Camp Atcheson SHS, northeast shore of Lake Sibley, south of Binford, fortified and occupied for a month.
Camp Kimball SHS, west of Pingree.
Camp Grant SHS, south of Woodworth.
Camp Whitney SHS, north of Tappen.
Camp Banks, north of Driscoll (Chaska SHS).
Other sites on private property (in order of the route taken):
Camp Parker, near Cayuga.
Camp Hayes, southeast of Lisbon on the north bank of the Sheyenne River. Some rifle pits may still remain.
Camp Wharton, east of Fort Ransom.
Camp Smith, north of Valley City, 10 miles from Camp Sheardown, 17 miles from Camp Corning.
Camp Pope, near Luverne.
Camp Forbes, near Kensal.
Camp Olin, east of Edmonds near Mud Lake.
Camp Sibley, south of Pettibone near Big Mound, on the south side of Kunkel Lake, about ten miles north and east of Tappen. The Battle of Big Mound occurred here in July 1863.
Camp Pfaender, north of Steele at Dead Buffalo Lake. The Battle of Dead Buffalo Lake occurred here in July 1863.
Camp Shoeneman, north of Driscoll.
Camp Stees, north of Sterling on Apple Creek.
Camp Slaughter, near Lincoln.
Other known 1863 campaign sites include:
Camp Ambler, about three miles south of Chaffee, near the Maple Creek Crossing SHS.
Camp Burt, somewhere between Camp Arnold and Fort Abercrombie.
Camp Hackett, undetermined location.
Camp near James River, undetermined location.
Camp Libby, somewhere between Camp Atcheson and Camp Arnold, west of the Sheyenne River.
Camp Stevens, just west of Buffalo and Buffalo Creek.
(see also SOUTH DAKOTA and MINNESOTA pages for additional sites)
NEED MORE INFO: Undetermined locations and dates: Camp Austin, Camp Barton, Camp Braden, Camp Carter, Camp Cox, Camp Defender, Camp Edgerton, Camp Gilfallen, Camp Hall, Camp Kennedy, Camp Monroe, Camp Williston.Western North Dakota - page 2
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com