Adobe Camp |
Camp Alvord |
Auburn Blockhouse |
Bache's Fort |
Camp Burbank | Camp Colfax | Camp Crook | Camp Currey | Camp Dahlgren
Fort Dalles | Camp Day | Fort Deposit | Fort Dobie | Camp Drum | Fort Drum
Camp Gibbs | Government Camp | Camp Harney | Fort Harney | Camp Henderson
Fort Henrietta | Camp Humbug | Inskip Station | Fort Klamath | Fort Lee | Camp Lincoln
Fort Lloyd | Camp Logan | Camp Maury | Camp McDowell | Camp Owyhee
Camp Owyhee River | Camp Polk | Camp Randolph | Camp on Rattlesnake Creek
Fort Rock (1) | Rock Fort (2) | Camp C.F. Smith | Camp on the South Fork John Day River
Camp Steele | Camp Union | Visher Creek Fort | (New) Camp Warner | Old Camp Warner
Fort Warner | Fort Wascopam | Camp Watson | Camp Wright
Coastal Oregon - page 1
FORT WIKI - OREGON
(1849), Government Camp
A U.S. Cavalry (Dragoon) expedition abandoned their supply wagons here during a winter storm. The following year settlers camped here and named it after the abandoned rusting and rotting supplies.
(1845 - 1846), near Government Camp
Settlers cached their wagons and supplies here for the winter.
(1850 - 1867), The Dalles
Originally known as Camp Drum until 1853, then briefly as Fort Drum before renamed in 1853. It was composed of a cluster of frame buildings laid out in a semi-circular pattern. This was the only permanent U.S. Army post on the Oregon Trail between Fort Laramie, WY and Fort Vancouver, WA. It also served as a supply base during the Indian campaigns. Rebuilt in 1856, and served mainly as a quartermaster depot after 1861. It was located at the former Methodist Wascopam Mission (1838), which was abandoned in November 1847 after the "Whitman Massacre" in Washington. The museum is in the former Surgeon's Quarters (1858). Also on the museum grounds are the restored 1850's Gardener's Cottage. Owned by the Oregon Historical Society. Located at 500 West 15th and Garrison Streets. Admission fee. Of interest in town is the Rorick House Museum, now the headquarters of the Wasco County Historical Society, located at 300 West 13th Ave., which was originally built as an NCO quarters in 1850. The town was first settled in 1852, chartered as Fort Dalles in 1857, but was soon changed to Dalles City.
See also The Columbia River: A Photographic Journey by Lyn Topinka
In January 1848 Fort Lee, a temporary log stockade, was built in the near vicinity by the OR Volunteers. It was also known as Fort Wascopam.
A North West Co. trading post was supposedly located here in 1820, but later abandoned.
Lewis and Clark camped here in the fall of 1805 at a site called Rock Fort (2). Site marked on a walking trail from the railroad station on Liberty Street.
(1859), The Dalles
A temporary U.S. Army post on Three Mile Creek during the Wagon Road Expedition to Salt Lake City, UT.
(1829 ? - 1830), near The Dalles
An independent trading post or fort, also known as Bache's Post. Bache was an American and former Hudson's Bay Co. employee, who had an Indian wife. One source claims the post was attacked and destroyed by Indians, killing everyone there. Another source claims rival competition shut down the post, and Bache rejoined the HBC.
Fort Henrietta (Park)
(1855 - 1856), Echo
A 100-foot square stockade with two bastions built by the 1st Oregon Mounted Rifles. Replaced the Umatilla Indian Agency (built 1852) which was destroyed by Indians during the Yakima War in 1855. A replica blockhouse is located in a town park at 10 West Main Street, directly across the river from the original site (now underwater). This was at the "Lower Crossing" of the Umatilla River.
(1865), near Ukiah
A temporary OR Volunteer Infantry field camp four miles east of town on Camas Creek. Originally known as Camp Humbug, on the north bank of the creek, but after only a week or so the post was relocated across to the south bank (about one-half mile away from first site) and renamed. It was continued for about another four or five weeks during the summer of 1865. Camas Creek was at that time known as the Humbug Fork John Day River.
A stone monument is located here for this civilian fort.
(1862 - 1868), Auburn
A civilian blockhouse built after gold was discovered here. Site located northwest of Salisbury near the Phillips Reservoir.
(1865, 1867), Ironside
A temporary OR Volunteer Infantry camp located on South Willow Creek one mile south of town, about six miles east of Ironside Mountain. It was occupied on two separate occasions, to protect the Dalles - Fort Boise Military Road.
(1865 - 1868), near Prairie City
An OR Volunteer Infantry camp located on Strawberry Creek about six miles south of town, on what is now the Oxbow Ranch. Strawberry Creek was at that time known as Indian Creek, then later as Logan Creek.
(1864), near Dayville
A temporary OR Volunteer Cavalry field depot originally called Camp on the South Fork John Day River. Exact location undetermined.
(1864 - 1869), near Mitchell
A palisaded complex of several log huts and cabins built by the OR Volunteer Cavalry to protect the Dalles - Canyon City wagon route from the Snake Indians. Occupied by Regular U.S. Army units after 1866. Site located on Fort (or Camp) Creek, about 15 miles southeast of town, and about five miles southwest of Antone. No remains at site except for a 1932 monument and several replacement grave markers erected by the American Legion. The camp was originally located about four miles east on Rock Creek in July 1864 before being relocated in September 1864. A post office with this name was in operation from 1867 - 1886.
See also Chapter Four - John Day Fossil Beds National Monument Historic Resource Study from NPS
(1865 - 1866), near Sisters
A temporary OR Volunteer Infantry encampment located on the west bank of Squaw Creek about three miles northeast of town. A post office by this name was in operation here from 1875 - 1888.
(1864), near Post
An OR Volunteer Cavalry grazing encampment at the north base of the Maury Mountains on Drake Creek. Located two miles east of town. Replaced by Camp Dahlgren.
(1864), near Post
An OR Volunteer Cavalry grazing encampment at the base of the Maury Mountains, on the south bank of Maury Creek, west of Rimrock Creek. Replaced by Camp Gibbs located five miles west.
(1864), near Paulina
An OR Volunteer Cavalry foraging camp on Beaver Creek that lasted only one month. It was reported to be about 20 miles northeast of Camp Gibbs.
(1865 - 1866), Suntex, Harney County
Occupied by Volunteer Infantry units from OR, WA, and CA, as well as a company of the 14th U.S. Infantry. Composed of 40 log cabins, located at "Indian Springs" on Silver Creek, on what was later known as the Cecil 71 Ranch, about eight miles northwest of Riley. Also spelled Curry in some reports, which is in error. A three-grave cemetery is all that remains at the site.
(1860), near Riley
A temporary U.S. Army encampment on Silver Creek, about 30 miles northwest of Harney Lake.
(1865 - 1866), near Burns
A temporary OR Volunteer Infantry encampment on the Silvies River south of town, on the east end of Wright's Point in Sunset Valley, on the northwest shore of Malheur Lake. Originally Adobe Camp (1865), a 25-yard square sod-walled post, was located here before being replaced after only two weeks.
(1867 - 1880/1889), near Harney
A U.S. Army post located 12 miles east of Burns on the east side of Rattlesnake Creek, about two miles north of the ghost community of Harney City. Originally a supply depot named Camp on Rattlesnake Creek, then renamed Camp Steele, then Camp Crook, and then Camp Harney. It was officially designated a fort in 1879. The 640-acre military reservation was created in 1876, reduced to 320 acres in 1882, but was abolished in 1889. Site now private ranch property. Two civilian graves still remain at the former post cemetery.
A temporary U.S. Army post at the mouth of the Owyhee River. Also called Camp Owyhee River.
Visher Creek Fort
(1850's ?), Malheur County
A civilian fortification located on the Malheur River at Visher Creek (undetermined location).
(info courtesy of Ted Cook.)
(1850's ?), Danner
A civilian fortified stage station, also known as Inskip Station. The preserved Ruby Ranch House is the oldest building in Malheur County.
(info courtesy of Ted Cook.)
(1864), near Rome
A temporary OR Volunteer Cavalry camp on Crooked Creek, about eight miles southwest of the mouth of Jordan Creek. Site located just south of the US 95 bridge over Crooked Creek. At that time Crooked Creek was also known as Gibbs Creek.
Camp C.F. Smith
(1866 - 1869), Whitehorse Ranch
An OR Volunteers camp on Whitehorse Creek, about one mile northeast of ranch headquarters, that replaced Camp Alvord. Foundation stones and the general outline of the camp can still be discerned at the site, now private ranch property.
(1864 - 1866), near Andrews
An OR Volunteer Cavalry headquarters encampment and depot, with defensive earthworks, located on Wildhorse Creek near Alvord Lake, about one and one-half mile northeast of town. Replaced by Camp C.F. Smith. The Alvord Ranch was later built on the site.
Old Camp Warner
(1866 - 1867), near Plush
A temporary U.S. Army winter tent camp originally located east of Warner (Hart) Lake, near Plush, on the northern slope of Hart Mountain. Also known as Camp Burbank. Some fireplace depressions may still exist at the site, now within the Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge. The camp was moved by early summer of 1867 to about 15 miles or so west of Warner (Hart) Lake (see below). A stone causeway was built across the southern end of the lake in the late spring of 1867 for the Army wagons, and can still be seen during periods of low water.
(New) Camp Warner
(1867 - 1874), Fort Warner Ranch
The U.S. Army moved its temporary encampment on Hart Mountain in the late spring/early summer of 1867 to about 15 miles or so west of Warner (Hart) Lake on Honey Creek (or possibly Dent Creek), southeast of Valley Falls, as a permanent post with log cabins. The new post was also sometimes known as Fort Warner, but it was never officially designated a fort. A private ranch operation was later built at the the second site, now within the Fremont-Winema National Forest.
Fort Rock (1) (State Natural Area)
(no date), Fort Rock
An ancient volcano crater noted on the early pioneer trails.
Located nearby is the Fort Rock Valley Homestead Village Museum depicting early settler life in the area. The town was founded and named in 1908.
(1863 - 1890), Fort Klamath
Originally a settlers fort, later garrisoned by the OR Volunteer Cavalry to protect the travel routes. The Modoc War ended here with the capture of Captain Jack in 1873. The Klamath Indian Agency was located five miles south of the fort. There are no remains of the original fort, which was located about one mile southeast of town. The Fort Klamath Museum is in a replica of the guardhouse, located on site at 51400 Highway 62. The former post cemetery also still remains, with several Modoc Indian prisoner graves.
(1860), near Keno
A temporary U.S. Army Artillery tent camp on Spencer Creek about one-half mile above the Klamath River, just west of town near Oatman Junction, that protected the Klamath Road for three months during the Piute War in Nevada. Site is now used as a church youth camp.
NEED MORE INFO: Fort Butte on Badger Creek west of Simnasho, Wasco County.
Coastal Oregon - page 1
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com