Fort Anáhuac |
Arkokisa Trade Post (1) |
Post at Arkokisa (2) |
Champ d'Asile |
Camp Austin (3) | Camp Ball | Fort Bankhead | Camp Beaumont | Camp Barnard Bee
Fort Bend | Camp Fort Bend | Camp Bernard | Fort Bernard | Post Bernard | Brazoria Station
Brazos Dam Battery | Camp Buchel (1) | Camp Buchel (2) | Fort Caney | Camp Cedar Bayou
Camp Cedar Lake | Fort Chambers | Camp Chemical | Post Colorado (1) | Post Colorado (2)
Colorado River Station (1) | Colorado Station (2) | Fort Crockett (1) | Fort Crockett (2)
Fort Eagle Grove | Camp Expectation | French's Trade Post | Galveston Barracks
Post of Galveston (1) | Post of Galveston (2) | Fort Green | Fort Griffin (2) | Fort Grigsby
Harrisburg Armory | Fort Hawkins | Camp Hawley | Fort Hebért | Houston Arsenal
Post of Houston (3) | Houston Post (4) | Camp Hulen | Fort Jackson | Fort Las Casas
Liberty Post | Camp Logan | Camp Lubbock | Fort Magruder (1) | Fort Maison Rouge
Fort Manhassett | Fort Matagorda | Matagorda Depot | Fort Moore (2) | Fort Mud Island
Camp Nellie | Fort Nelson | Presidio del Orcoquisac | Camp Palacios | Fort at Pelican Spit
Fort Point | Camp Port Arthur | Fort Quintana | Camp Riche | Fort Rugely | Fort Sabine (4)
Fort Sabine (5) | Sabine Pass Res. | Sabine Station (1) | Presidio de San Agustín de Ahumada
Fort San Bernard | San Bernard Station | Camp San Jacinto | Fort San Jacinto
Fort Isle San Luis | Fort San Luis Pass | San Luis Pass Res. | San Luis Station | Fort Sandcliffe
Fort Scurry | Fort Sidney Sherman | Camp Slaughter (1) | Fort Ashbel Smith | South Battery
Camp Spindletop | Fort Sulakowski | Texas City Encampment | Camp Travis (1)
Fort Travis (1) | Fort Travis (2) | Camp Van Dorn | Fort Velasco | Fort Virginia Point
Camp Wallace | Post West Bernard Station | West End Galveston Station | Camp Wharton
White Hill Camp
East Texas - page 1 | Coastal Texas II - page 3 | North Central Texas - page 4
Central Texas - page 5 | South Central Texas - page 6 | Southern Texas - page 7
West Texas - page 8 | Southwestern Texas - page 9
TEXAS HISTORIC SITES ATLAS
FORT WIKI - TEXAS
Sabine Station (1)
(1836 - 1837), near Echo ?
A Texas Army post on the Sabine River at Ballew's Ferry, located about six miles north of Orange.
(1862 - 1864), Beaumont
A CSA encampment located on Spindletop Hill near Sulphur Drive and Highland Avenue, near the campus of Lamar University. Also called Camp Spindletop. A major oil discovery was made on Spindletop Hill in 1901, beginning the Texas oil boom.
A two-gun CSA battery was also emplaced on the Neches River three miles downriver from town.
John French's Trading Post
(1845 - 1865), Beaumont
A civilian trading post. The main house remained in the French family until 1940. Owned by the Beaumont Heritage Society, it was restored in the 1970's. Located on French Road.
(1862 - 1863), Port Neches
A CSA two-gun battery built with timber, mud and oyster shell, with a magazine and bombproof, located on Grigsby's Bluff near present-day Port Neches Park. It was built after the capture of Fort Sabine (5) by Union forces. It was abandoned after Fort Manhassett was built.
Fort Sabine (4)
(1836 - 1838), Sabine
A Federal work protecting the newly established border between the United States and Mexico/Texas after a boundary adjustment. This post was actually on foreign soil at the time because it was the better location for a post (on slightly higher ground than the marsh on the east side of the pass).
Fort Griffin (2)
(Sabine Pass Battleground State Historical Park)
(1863 - 1865), Sabine Pass
Originally here was Confederate Fort Sabine (5), located just north of old Fort Sabine (4). It was captured and destroyed by the Union in September 1862. A new CSA six-gun fort was built one mile further north in March 1863. This second fort was not yet finished at the time of the battle naval in September 1863. Forty-six men were garrisoned here who held off 18 Union troop ships and four Union gunboats with only six cannon. The fort was held by the CSA until the end of the war. The actual site of the fort eventually eroded into the ship channel. See also The Battle of Sabine Pass from Handbook of Texas Online
¤ COAST and TEMPORARY HARBOR DEFENSES of SABINE PASS
Temporary Harbor Defense of Sabine Pass - FORT WIKI
¤ Sabine Pass Military Reservation
(Texas Point National Wildlife Refuge)
(1898 - 1945), Sabine Pass
Located on Texas Point were three unnamed coastal defense batteries from 1898-1899 (one M1888 8-inch BL gun on modified 15-inch Rodman carriage, two 5-inch guns, and two 7-inch guns) all destroyed or buried; a 1917-1918 two-gun 5-inch gun battery; and a 1942-1944 two-gun 155mm battery on Panama mounts, which replaced a temporary field-positioned 105mm howitzer battery. The two Panama mounts and four concrete ammunition magazines from WWII still exist. The magazines are located at the Sabine Pass Battleground State Park.
Eight 37mm AMTB/AA guns were located in Port Arthur (1942 - 1944), four at the Gulf Oil Company complex, and four at the Texas Oil Company complex. Camp Port Arthur (1917 - 1918) was a WWI guard camp located in Port Arthur.
(some info provided by Bill Gaines of the CDSG)
(1863 - 1865), near Sabine Point
Originally a CSA work consisting of three 60-foot square two-gun redoubts and two flanking lunettes or redans, located about six miles west of the point along the Galveston Road, guarding the land approach to the Pass. Largely unfinished before captured by the Union in September 1863, and named for a Union coal steamer that had sunk off the beach. Re-occupied by the CSA and held to the end of the war.
(1830 - 1832, 1835), Anahuac
Ruins remain of a Mexican adobe-walled (85 x 55 feet ?) two-gun fort built to halt American immigration into Texas. The garrison's barracks were originally located in town, which were later used as the town jail. Completed in 1831, attacked by Texan rebels in June 1832, then abandoned the next month. Briefly regarrisoned in 1835 by Mexican customs agents and an armed guard detail before captured by Texan forces under William Travis in June 1835. Later dismantled (after 1836) by settlers for the bricks. The town had earlier become a port-of-entry for American settlers in 1821. Recent excavations have unearthed a 30-by-40-foot foundation of part of the compound, which also included a well and an underground tunnel to a magazine. Site is now a municipal park on a bluff about one mile south of town at Perry's Point on TX 563.
(1862 - 1865), Anahuac
A CSA two-gun mud battery located between old Fort Anáhuac and the town.
Presidio de San Agustín de Ahumada
(Wallisville Heritage Park)
(1756 - 1771), Wallisville
Built to block French activities in the area and to protect its companion mission, Mission de Nuestra Señora de la Luz del Orcoquisac (1756 - 1772). Also called Presidio del Orcoquisac because of its location at the Indian village of El Orcoquisac. Originally built on the site of a French trade post built in 1754 by Joseph Blancpain (Arkokisa Trade Post (1)). The Spanish captured Blancpain in 1756 and destroyed his post. The presidio was relocated a few miles east in 1766 after being damaged by a hurricane. The second site was excavated in 1965. Located on the east bank of the Trinity River 13 miles east of Baytown, about five miles upstream from Trinity Bay, near Eminence. See also Handbook of Texas Online
Post at Arkokisa (2)
(1804 - 1805), Wallisville
A Spanish garrison post was here at the old Orcoquisac village.
(1818), near Liberty
A French armed encampment and planned settlement (aka Camp Asylum) for 150 or so Napoleonic War veterans and refugees led by Baron Henri Lallemand, located on the lower Trinity River near the old Spanish village Atascosito. The French left for New Orleans, LA about six months later after Spanish and American authorities pressured the French exiles to leave the region.
(1836 - 1838), Liberty
A Texas Army post established to guard Mexican POWs captured at the Battle of San Jacinto (April 1836).
Camp San Jacinto
A collection of several adjacent and nearby Texas Army encampments in the vicinity of the San Jacinto Battlefield, collectively known as "Camp San Jacinto". The first camp site was on the actual battlefield, then it was moved just across Buffalo Bayou, then moved again three miles further upriver, then moved yet again four miles further, due south of Jacinto City.
(1836 - 1838), Houston
A Republic of Texas armory located in old Harrisburg that was used to store the guns and weapons captured from the Mexican Army at the Battle of San Jacinto (April 1836). It was later replaced by a new armory/arsenal in Houston in May 1838.
Camp Van Dorn
A CSA training camp located on Buffalo Bayou at old Harrisburg.
Post of Houston (3)
(1837 - 1841), Houston
Military headquarters of the Texas Army from 1837 - 1839. Most departments were using rented quarters throughout the town, including the "Long Building" located on Main Street between Preston and Congress Streets, which was used by the Commissary Department. A General Hospital (1837 - 1845) was located on Buffalo Bayou upstream of town. The Houston Arsenal (1838 - 1845) was located at the north end of Crawford Street on Buffalo Bayou. It was largely replaced by a new arsenal in Austin in 1840, although it remained in limited use until 1845.
(1861 - 1865), Houston
A CSA encampment originally called Houston Post (4). Central headquarters for all Confederate forces in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. Located near Buffalo Bayou in old Harrisburg.
Camp Tom Ball
(1898), Houston Heights
A Spanish-American War muster camp for the Texas Volunteer Infantry. Located east of Heights Blvd..
(1917 - 1919), Houston
An existing state guard encampment Federalized as a National Guard mobilization center and training camp for the 33rd Division. Later became a demobilization center and hospital after the war. Scene of the "Camp Logan Riot" of 1917 (troubles between Black troops and the local police, with 20 dead). Site mostly now Memorial Park, and a residential area bounded by Washington Ave., Arnot, Haskett, and Durham Streets.
Texas City Encampment
(1913 - 1915), Texas City
An assembly point and training area for the U.S. Army's Second Division, the advance guard of the American Expeditionary Force that was poised for possible intervention in the Mexican Revolution. The division consisted of ten regiments of infantry in three brigades (4th, 5th, and 6th), the 6th Cavalry, the 4th Field Artillery, the 1st Aero Squadron, an engineer battalion, a signal company, an ambulance company, a field hospital, and assorted headquarters and service troops, in total approximately 14,000 men and 3,000 pack animals. A hurricane in August 1915 destroyed the camp and devastated the Galveston - Texas City area. The Army then moved to the San Antonio area to regroup. President Wilson never sent in troops to Mexico until the "Punitive Expedition" of 1916 (save for the U.S. Navy's occupation of Veracruz in April 1914).
(Jack Brooks Park)
(1941 - 1946), Hitchcock
A Coast Artillery anti-aircraft artillery training center. It became a Naval Training Center in 1944. Site now Jack Brooks Park.
Historic Photos from University of North Texas collections.
Located nearby was the Hitchcock Naval Air Station (1943 - 1945) used for Gulf Coast blimp patrols.
Fort Las Casas
(1819 - 1822), Port Bolivar
Established on the bay-side of Point Bolivar as a base of operations for Texas liberation troops under Dr. James Long. The post was held by Long's wife and a few men for a short while after Long was captured at La Bahía (Goliad) in 1821 and later killed in prison while in Mexico City.
Mexican earthwork batteries were previously here in 1815 - 1817, built by rebel leader Francisco Xavier Mina and pirate Louis-Michel Aury.
Fort Maison Rouge
(1817 - 1818), Galveston
A two-story blockhouse with earthworks built by Jean Lafitte, located at Fort Point near the present-day St. Mary's Infirmary (1417 Avenue "A"). It was painted red, hence the name. It was destroyed by a hurricane. Lafitte left for the Yucatan in 1820. At that time the town was known as Campeche.
Mexican earthwork batteries were previously here in 1815 - 1817.
Fort Travis (1)
(1836 - 1844), Galveston
A Texas Army octagonal earthwork located on the east end of the island at Fort Point. It was initially armed with guns taken from the Texas Navy vessel CAYUGA. The first troops that garrisoned the post were at the adjacent Camp Travis (1) (1836). Destroyed in the October 1837 hurricane, but rebuilt in January 1838.
Post of Galveston (1)
(1836 - 1843, 1846 - 1848), Galveston
All-inclusive name given for the various local encampments, hospital, commissary, and storehouses of the Texas Republic Army and Navy after the Battle of San Jacinto (April 1836). The former Mexican customs house (site located on present-day Avenue "A") became the commissary and later the post commander's quarters. The post was later used by U.S. Army forces as a supply depot during the Mexican War.
Fort at Pelican Spit
(1859 - 1861), Galveston
A Third System fortification was planned for the Spit of Pelican Island in Galveston Bay (an over-washed sandbar off of the eastern side of the main body of Pelican Island), the only such fortification for the entire Texas coast. After Congress finally provided funds in 1859, a site was cleared and graded, a trace laid out, and some foundation piles driven into the ground, but all further work was abandoned in the spring of 1861 as the Civil War broke out. Confederate forces later covered the pilings with mounds of dirt and sand to create a usable pentagonal-shaped earthwork battery with underground magazines, emplaced with five guns, and was named Fort Jackson. The Union captured the battery and other defenses of Galveston Bay in September 1862. Due to modern post-WWII era dredging of Galveston Bay's shipping channels, especially near Bolivar Point, the majority of what was once Pelican Spit is now gone and in the middle of the expanded and deepened channel.
Civil War Defenses of Galveston
(1861 - 1865), Galveston
Several Confederate earthwork forts and batteries were located around the island. These included:
Fort Green (1864 - 1865) (five guns), at Point Bolivar in Port Bolivar, opposite Pelican Spit.
Fort Jackson (five guns), at Pelican Spit(see above), providing cross-fire with Fort Green.
Fort Crockett (1), near the western end of the present-day seawall, at the site of later Fort Crockett (2).
Fort Point, an eight-gun work at Fort Point, renamed Fort Sulakowski in 1864.
Fort Bankhead, a two-gun sand battery near the quarantine station west of Fort Point.
Fort Hebért (aka Fort Virginia Point) (four guns), on the mainland in Texas City, opposite Galveston Island (renamed Fort Nelson by the Union in 1862).
Fort Magruder (1), a three-gun sand battery facing the Gulf at the foot of Church Street.
Fort Moore (2) (aka Fort Eagle Grove) (1863 - 1865), a four-gun battery about four miles west of the city proper on Galveston Island, opposite Fort Hebért.
Fort Scurry (built 1863, named 1864), near City Hospital.
South Battery (renamed Fort Sidney Sherman in 1864), a three-gun sod redoubt facing the Gulf at the foot of 21st and 22nd Streets, with two additional guns mounted on rail cars.
Redoubts No. 1, 2, and 3 (three guns each) were located west of the city proper.
Galveston Barracks (1861 - 1870), also known as Post of Galveston (2), the main cantonment and headquarters of the coastal defense batteries during the war and during Reconstruction.
The city and environs changed hands several times during the Civil War: CSA April 1861 - Sept. '62; USA Sept. '62 - Dec. '62; CSA Jan. '63- May '65; and USA May '65.
A Spanish-American War temporary camp used for the overflow of Regular Army troops coming into town. Located on the beach south of Avenue Q between 23rd and 24th Streets. Another source indicates it was at a ballpark.
¤¤ HARBOR DEFENSES of GALVESTON
Harbor Defense of Galveston - FORT WIKI
¤¤ Fort Travis (2)
(Fort Travis Seashore Park)
(1898 - 1947), Port Bolivar
Coastal defense batteries located here on Point Bolivar include Battery Kimble (1922 - 1943) guns transferred to Fort Moultrie, SC, Battery Davis (1900/1911 - 1917), Battery 236 (1944) never armed, and Battery Ernst (1900 - 1946). An SCR-296A radar (1943) was also once here. This area has been a county park since 1976. Nearby at Bolivar Beach were once three fire-control towers. The seawall was originally built in 1903, and today incorporates Batteries Davis and Ernst.
¤¤ Fort San Jacinto
(1895 - 1947), Galveston
Located on Fort Point on Galveston Island, across from Fort Travis. Coastal defense batteries here included Battery Mercer (1898/1911 - 1942) converted to Harbor Entrance Control Post (HECP) (1943 - 1945) and partially buried, Battery Heileman (1899/1911 - 1943) destroyed, Battery 235 (1944 - 1946) partially buried, Battery Hogan (1898/1911 - 1917) mostly destroyed, converted to Navy Radio Compass Station (1925 - 1946) (US Radio Compass Station in 1950), Battery Croghan (1898/1911 - 1946), and Anti Motor Torpedo Boat (AMTB) Battery 4 (1943 - 1946) destroyed. A four-gun 155mm mobile battery with a fire-control tower was once located on the seawall. Two 180-degree Panama mounts were built on the seawall near Battery Mercer in the late 1930's. Also here were an SCR-296A and an SCR-582 radar during WWII. A fire-control tower was also once located at Stewart Beach. Most of the former reservation is currently used for, and being buried by, spoilage from channel dredging projects.
¤¤ Fort Crockett (2)
(NOAA Fisheries Service - Galveston Lab)
(Texas A&M University - Galveston)
(1897 - 1947), Galveston
Headquarters for the Galveston harbor defenses. Coastal defense batteries here included Battery Hoskins (1921 - 1946, casemated in 1943) built over by a modern hotel (The San Luis Resort and Conference Center), Battery Izard (1902 - 1943) destroyed, Battery Hampton (1899/1911 - 1943) destroyed, and Battery Laval (1902 - 1946) partially covered. An SCR-296A radar was also once here in WWII. Eight 37mm AA guns were located here from 1942 - 1944. The former reservation is now owned primarily by the National Marine Fisheries Service (since 1956), and also used by Texas A&M University - Galveston and Galveston Community College (since 1977). U.S. Marines were stationed at the fort in 1917 to train on the artillery. See also Handbook of Texas Online
A Spanish-American War muster encampment named Camp Hawley (1898) was located on the reservation, east of 53rd Street between Avenues T and U, on what was then called the "Denver Resurvey" or the "gun club grounds". This area is now residential.
WWII fire-control stations/towers were once located at Galveston Beach West (no remains), two at the Galveston Causeway (no remains), and four stations on the roof of the American National Insurance Company (ANICO) building (removed after the war). Eight 37mm AA guns were located in Baytown (1942 - 1944) to protect the San Jacinto Ordnance Works.
(some additional info provided by Bill Gaines of the CDSG)
¤¤ NOTE: All three forts were severely damaged in the September 1900 hurricane, and all the batteries then built or under construction were rebuilt by 1906, and the forts regarrisoned in 1911. See also The 1900 Hurricane by the Galveston Daily News. The Galveston seawall was first built in 1906, and later incorporated several of the batteries of Fort Crockett in the 1950's, now called Fort Crockett Seawall Park.
(Thanks to Andy Bennett of the Coast Defense Study Group for providing websites and info)
West End Galveston Station
(1836 - 1837), Galveston Island
A Texas Army outpost at the western end of the island at San Luis Pass. A ferry also operated to San Luis Island at that time.
San Luis Station
(1836), San Luis Island
A Texas Army outpost at San Luis Pass, opposite West End Galveston Station.
The Texas Army planned Fort Isle San Luis here in 1840, but it was never completed past the initial survey.
Fort San Luis Pass
(1860's), Mud Island
A CSA one-gun earthwork protecting the "backdoor" into Galveston Bay. Also called Fort Mud Island.
(1832, 1836 - 1837, 1863 - 1865), Surfside Beach, Quintana
Fort Velasco (1832) was located on the north side of the mouth of the Brazos River, at the old town of Velasco. It was originally a Mexican work to prevent entry of new American colonists and to protect the Mexican customs house built the previous year. It was abandoned after it was attacked by Texan forces under John Austin in June 1832. Rebuilt as a (four-gun ?) seacoast battery by Texan forces in May 1836 to protect the temporary capital of the Republic of Texas. Probably destroyed in the October 1837 hurricane. Partially rebuilt in 1843 as a nine-gun battery, but abandoned before completion. Rebuilt again by Confederate forces in 1863-1864 as a six-gun battery.
Confederate two-gun earthwork Fort Quintana was directly opposite across the river mouth. Further upstream was CSA Brazos Dam Battery, built by slave labor during the Civil War.
¤¤¤ COAST and TEMPORARY HARBOR DEFENSES of FREEPORT
Temporary Harbor Defense of Freeport - FORT WIKI
¤¤¤ San Luis Pass Military Reservation
(Quintana Beach County Park)
(1917 - 1918, 1942 - 1944), Surfside Beach, Quintana
A WWI battery of two 5-inch guns was originally here. In WWII a two-gun 155mm battery with one 180-degree and one 360-degree Panama mount was located here, which had replaced a temporary field-positioned 105mm howitzer battery. Two 50-foot tall fire-control towers were also built, one near the old Surfside Hotel, the other near the Boilers. The 180-degree Panama mount was rebuilt in 1943 as a 360-degree mount. This battery was later replaced with two 6-inch naval guns, which were located in the town of Quintana. One Panama mount in the park has been restored, now with an 8-inch howitzer emplaced for display.
Eight 37mm AA guns were located in Freeport. Two were located at the Dow Chemical Company plant, two at the Freeport Sulphur Company, and four were located on other Federal property. Camp Chemical (1942 - 1944), a base camp for the garrison, was located at Dow Co. Plant A. It was razed after the war.
(some additional info provided by Bill Gaines of the CDSG)
White Hill Camp
(1836), near Velasco
A Texas Ranger post located somewhere near the town.
(1836), Old Brazoria
A temporary Texas Army post located about one mile north of the present-day community. A marker is located in Masonic Park, five blocks off of TX 36.
Camp Barnard Bee
(1864 - 1865), East Columbia
A CSA encampment located on the Brazos River, just east of West Columbia.
Located nearby was CSA Camp Slaughter (1) (1863), a barracks and hospital post.
(1862 - 1864), near Rivers End
A CSA four-gun work located on the east bank of the mouth of the San Bernard River. Also called Fort San Bernard, and Camp Bernard. Attacked by Union gunboats in 1864.
(1863 - 1864), Matagorda County ?
A CSA post. Probably located near Cedar Bayou.
Camp Cedar Bayou
(1863 - 1864), near Cedar Lake
A CSA encampment on Cedar Lake Creek. Also called Camp Buchel (2).
Camp Cedar Lake
(1863 - 1864), Cedar Lake
A CSA post, apparently not the same as above.
(1864 - 1865), near Sargent
A complex of three CSA redoubts and one battery (five guns total) protecting the mouth of Caney Creek, later renamed individually as Fort Ashbel Smith, Fort Hawkins, Fort Rugely, and Fort Sandcliffe.
Camp Austin (3)
(1863), near Matagorda
A temporary CSA "summer fever" post. Located on Lake Austin southeast of Wadsworth.
A sparsely used Texas Army quartermaster supply depot and commissary.
(1861 - 1865), Matagorda Peninsula
A CSA work on the western end of the island protecting the inlet to Matagorda Bay.
(1925 - 1965), Palacios
A TX National Guard summer encampment originally known as Camp Palacios until 1930. Federalized in 1940 as a Coast Artillery anti-aircraft training center. The AA firing range was located at Indianola Beach / Wells Point, with the ammo dump located at Olivia. Became a German POW camp in 1944. Reverted to the TX National Guard in 1946, but slowly sold off piece by piece. A portion of the site is now used by the Texas State Marine Education Center, a unit of Texas A&M University. The Army airfield became the Palacios Municipal Airport.
1940 PHOTOS from Texas Military Forces Museum.
Colorado River Station (1)
(1836 - 1837), Bay City
A Texas Army post located at (Thomas) Cayce's Ferry to protect the Colorado River crossing while (West) Columbia was the temporary Republic capital. Also known as Post Colorado (1). The post was moved upstream to Mercer's Ferry when Houston became the capital in 1837.
A CSA encampment. Also called Camp Buchel (1).
Colorado Station (2)
(1837 - 1838), near Egypt
A Texas Army post located at (Eli) Mercer's Ferry to protect the Colorado River crossing while Houston was the temporary Republic capital. Also known as Post Colorado (2). Located just west of town.
Post West Bernard Station
(1837 - 1839), near Hungerford
A Texas Army ordnance depot on the west bank of West Bernard Creek, about four or five miles southwest of the Post Bernard site. Site excavated in 1982.
(1837 - 1839), East Bernard
A Texas Army supply post on the San Bernard River at San Bernard Station.
(NOTE: the town of East Bernard was originally located on the east bank of the San Bernard River.)
(1842), Wharton County ?
A militia camp established after the Mexican Army's capture of San Antonio in March 1842. It was probably located no further west than the Lower Colorado River.
(1822 - 1838), Richmond
A settlers' two-room log cabin built at the "Bend of the Brazos" by William Little and others from Stephen Austin's original group of 300 settlers. Texas Army troops briefly encamped here in May 1836 as Camp Fort Bend. A replica log blockhouse is at Decker Park. Monument (1936) at site. The town was once known as Fort Bend Settlement.
NEED MORE INFO: Beaumont had a Spanish trading post(s) in the early 1800's.
NOTE: The use of the Texas flag for settler forts before 1836 indicates those settlers of Anglo-American origin, even though Texas did not exist as a separate nation until 1836.
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com