Fort Ashley |
Camp Battle Creek Settlement |
Camp on Bear River |
Fort Bear River
Camp Beaver Creek | Camp Bingham Creek | Bingham's Fort | Brown's Fort
Fort Buenaventura | Call's Fort | Canyon Station | Fort Kit Carson | Cedar Fort
Cedar City Fort | Camp Conness | Fort Crittenden | Fort Davis
Camp at Deep Creek Station | Camp Defiance | Camp Dodge | Camp Douglas
Fort Douglas | Fort Duchesne | Echo Canyon Breastworks | Camp in Echo Canyon
Camp at Farmington | Farmington Stockade | Farr's Fort | Fish Springs Station
Camp Floyd | Goodyear's Fort | Camp at Government Springs | Grouse Creek Fort
Fort Herriman | Kamas Fort | Kaysville Fort | Camp Kent | Fort Kingston
Fort Logan | Camp on Lolos Creek | Camp at Loveland's | Fort Malad | Mound Fort
Mountain Green Post | Moyle's Turret | Camp Murray | North Fort | Ogden Station
Ogden Stockade | Camp Parker | Camp Porter | Fort Provo | Camp Rawlins | Fort Rawlins
Reed's Post | Camp Relief (1) | Camp Relief (2) | Fort Richmond | Fort Robidoux (1)
Fort Robidoux (2) | Rock Fort (1) | Rock Fort (2) | Round Station | Camp Rush Valley
Sage Bottom Fort | Salt Lake City Fort | Salt Lake City Post | Camp Shunk | Smithfield Fort
South Fort | Fort Sowiette | Summit Creek Fort | (Old) Fort Thornburgh
New Fort Thornburgh | Camp Timpanagos | Camp Tyler | Fort Uintah | Union Fort | Fort Utah
Camp Williams | Willow Fort | Fort Wintey | Fort Wordsworth
Southern Utah - page 2
FORT WIKI - UTAH
Camp at Government Springs
(1863), near Lucin
A US Army encampment in the Pilot Mountain Range protecting the building of the transcontinental railroad. Water from the springs was piped to Lucin for the railroad's needs.
Grouse Creek Fort
(1878), Grouse Creek
A Mormon settlers' settlement consisting of several log cabins closely-spaced for defense. It was not palisaded.
(1855 - 1858), Washakie
A Mormon settlers' adobe fort enclosing several log cabins on the east side of the Malad River across from town.
Camp Relief (2)
(1864), near Webster Junction
A temporary 2nd CA Cavalry Volunteers post, located east of Lewiston, established by Major John O'Neill.
(1859 - unknown), Richmond
A Mormon settlers' log fort with several log cabins and dugouts. Site along Cherry Street.
(1860 - 1862), Smithfield
A Mormon settlers' palisaded (?) log-cabin complex for 70 families. The town was originally named Summit.
(1859 - unknown), Logan
A Mormon settlers' double line of log cabins (palisaded ?) for the protection of 100 families.
Camp on Bear River
(1859), near Randolph
A temporary Federal post on the Bear River, near the Wyoming border.
Fort Bear River
(1867 - unknown), Bear River City
A Mormon settlers' palisaded 10-acre fort enclosing several log cabins.
Fort (William) Davis
(1851 - 1852), Brigham City
A Mormon settlers' defensive log-cabin complex. Abandoned after a serious insect infestation. Later called the Old Fort after Call's Fort was built.
Anson Call's Fort
(1853 - unknown), Brigham City
A Mormon settlers' fort. It was not palisaded. Site marked by a stone monument.
(1832), Weber County ?
A Rocky Mountain Fur Co. trading post, located somewhere on the mythical "waters of the Bonaventura", as mentioned in William Sublette's journals. This was probably the Weber River, somewhere near Ogden.
(1845 - 1852), Ogden
Originally a stockaded four-cabin trading post called Miles Goodyear's Fort, located on the Weber River about two miles from its confluence with the Ogden River. The Mormons bought the post in 1847 for $1,950. In 1850 a flood wrecked the fort so it was moved southeast on higher ground and renamed Capt. James Brown's Fort. It was the first permanent white settlement in the state. The current structure is a faithful reconstruction on the original site, at 2450 "A" Avenue. Admission fee.
Goodyear's original 1845 log cabin was later restored and moved to the State Relief Society Building in Tabernacle Park, now the Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum at 2148 Grant Ave.. The museum and cabin were both relocated in 2012 to 2104 Lincoln Ave. after threat of demolition.
Erastus Bingham's Fort
(1853 - 1856), Ogden
A Mormon settlers' adobe and rock fort. About 700 people sought shelter here in 1853 from Indian attacks. Although it was ordered to be abandoned in 1855, the fort remained occupied for several years. Located near Second Street and Wall Avenue. Twelve original stone and adobe houses still remain along Second Street.
Lorin Farr's Fort
(1850 - 1852), Ogden
A Mormon settlers' five-acre log fort, about one block north of the river near present-day 12th Street and Canyon Road. Also known as North Fort. Marker located at 1050 Canyon Road.
(1853 - unknown), Ogden
A Mormon settlers' fort located around a natural clay mound, in the vicinity of today's Washington Ave. and 12th Street.
(1854 - unknown), Ogden
A Mormon settlers' adobe fort complex located between present-day 20th and 28th Streets, and Madison and Wall Aves.. It was never completed.
(1861 - 1862), Ogden
Stronghold of Joseph Morris who tried to reform or split the Mormon Church. The Mormon Militia attacked the fort and killed Morris and several of his followers (June 1862).
A Federal post.
Mountain Green Post
(1825), Mountain Green
A short-lived Hudson's Bay Company trading post built by Peter Ogden.
(1854 - 1858), Kaysville
Built by Mormon settlers. It was never completed and never actually used.
(1854 - unknown), Farmington
An adobe-walled stockade was erected around the Mormon settlement, enclosing 112 lots, with seven gates.
U.S. Army troops established Camp at Farmington in 1863.
Echo Canyon Breastworks
(1857 - 1858), near Echo
Stone breastworks were built by Mormon pioneers along the narrow Echo Canyon gorge (the "Narrows") to thwart a potential Federal invasion to supress a rumored Mormon rebellion. The stoneworks still remain along the flanks of the road.
Camp in Echo Canyon
(1859), near Echo
A temporary Federal encampment. Exact location undetermined.
Rock Fort (1)
(Rockport State Park)
(1865 - 1870 ?), near Wanship
A Mormon settlers' stone-walled fort. Ruins still exist. The settlement was first established in 1860. The settlers were advised to evacuate to Wanship, four miles north, during Indian troubles, but they chose to remain and build the fort for protection. The settlement's name later became Rockport. The settlement was finally abandoned in 1957 before the construction of the Wanship Dam and Rockport Reservoir. The state park was created in 1966.
Sage Bottom Fort
(1867 - unknown), Peoa
A Mormon settlers' fort.
(1868 - 1870), Kamas
A Mormon settlers' fort.
Salt Lake City Fort
(1847 - unknnown), Salt Lake City
Mormon settlers built this log and adobe fort complex which was actually a combination of two forts, North Fort at present-day Pioneer Park, and South Fort.
Salt Lake City Post
(1865 - 1866), Salt Lake City
This CA Infantry post specifically guarded the Territorial capital.
(U.S. Military Reservaton)
(University of Utah - Fort Douglas)
(1862 - 1991/present), Salt Lake City
Built by CA Volunteers and named Camp Douglas. Rebuilt largely with stone beginning in 1876, and renamed in 1878. It protected the trails from Indian raiders, and it allowed the Army to keep an eye on the Mormons. In 1901 the post was designated a permanent reservation. In 1898 during the Spanish-American War, the Army Regulars were withdrawn for overseas duty. State troops were then mobilized and all were trained at the post at Camp Kent. The post was used as a Regular Army mobilization center and training camp during the two World Wars, and was also used to house German POW's during WWII. The Army left in 1991, but the Utah National Guard and Army Reserves still use a portion of the post. The Military Museum is in the Quartermaster Victoria Infantry Barracks (1875), and is operated by the U.S. Army Center of Military History. Many of the original garrison buildings remain on the present campus of the University of Utah. Most of the original reservation was given to the University of Utah in 1979. See also University of Utah Guest House and Conference Center
A Federal camp of instruction for several infantry regiments during the late summer of 1885.
(1853 - 1870's ?), Union
A Mormon settlers' town fort. The adobe walls were 12 feet high, six feet thick at the base, with numerous gun portholes. Provided protection for 23 families within the compound. Remains still existed until the 1990's when the site was bulldozed for development. Site located near 7200 South Street and 1300 East Street. A replica of the Jehu Cox House is located one block north of North Union Ave..
(some info courtesy of George Hill)
Camp Bingham Creek
(1864), Bingham Canyon
A California Volunteers temporary encampment near a gold mine in July 1864. Previously a logging camp of Mormon pioneers. Site on Bingham Creek about ten miles east of Tooele.
(1854 - 1858), Herriman
A Mormon settlers' two-acre adobe-walled fort located near Riverton.
A Mormon settlers' fort at South Willow, now a part of Draper. Site is now a town park with a monument.
(info courtesy of Alan Kinckiner)
A Mormon settlers' town fort that was later expanded. A monument is in town.
John Moyle's Turret (1859), a stone blockhouse, was located outside the fort walls. Moyle had preferred his own defense built adjacent to his house, rather than the protection of the town fort. Still extant, located at 606 East 770 North in Moyle Park. See also Alpine City Parks and Recreation
Camp W.G. Williams (State Military Reservation)
(1914 - present), Camp Williams
A UT National Guard combat training area on 28,000 acres. Became a permanent post in 1926 and was formally named in 1928. Federalized in 1941 and became a subpost of Fort Douglas for WWII training purposes. Returned to state control in 1944, with state guard training resuming in 1947. Still in use.
Camp Rush Valley
(1854, 1855, 1859, 1864, 1866, 1869), near Rush Lake
An intermittant and temporary Army encampment located about 23 miles west of Camp Floyd, at Rush Lake (then known as Lake Shambip), west of Stockton. Originally established by Lt. Col. Edward Steptoe. The reservation was also used as a grazing area for horses from Camp Floyd and later Fort Douglas.
Camp Relief (1) was located on the north side of Rush Lake in 1864 by the CA Volunteers under Col. Patrick Connor.
(1859), near Rush Lake ?
An Army post located in the Rush Valley, garrisoned by Company I, 10th Infantry. This may or may not be the same post as listed above.
(thanks to James Martin for providing info)
(1864), near Rush Valley
A CA Volunteers post located on Clover Creek about ten miles southwest of Rush Lake.
(1855 - 1860's), Cedar Fort
A Mormon settlers' stone fort. Raided by soldiers from Camp Floyd in 1858 to avenge of the death of a fellow trooper. Briefly garrisoned by Army troops in 1863 (Detachment at Cedar Fort). Mostly destroyed in the 1970's, however portions of the west and south adobe walls still remain.
(additional info courtesy of George Hill)
(Camp Floyd / Stagecoach Inn State Historic Park)
(1858 - 1862), Fairfield
This post had the largest single Federal troop concentration in the U.S. during 1858-59, nearly 3000 men. The troops were sent here to suppress a feared Mormon rebellion that ultimately never came. They initially camped at a nearby Mormon settlers' rock-walled town fort that was already here (Cedar City Fort (1856 - 1858)), which later became the town of Fairfield. The post was renamed Fort Crittenden briefly in 1861 before it was abandoned. The Overland Mail Company bought much of the post in 1862 before it was temporarily re-occupied by the Army. Replaced by Camp Douglas. The camp once had 400 buildings. Only the cemetery and commissary remain. The restored 1858 Stagecoach Inn, used by the Overland Company and the Pony Express, is located nearby, also administered by the state park. Admission fee.
(1858), near Vernon
A temporary Federal post located about 25 miles southwest of Camp Floyd.
Beaver Creek Camp
(1849), Pleasant Grove
A Mormon settlers' otherwise unnamed armed camp for defense against Ute Indians, established prior to the formal creation of the settlement. Located 36 miles south of Salt Lake City.
A U.S. Army post known as Camp Battle Creek Settlement was here in 1859.
(1859), near Provo
A temporary Federal post on the Timpanagos (Provo) River, about eight miles from town.
(1825 - 1828), Provo
An independent fur trading post built by William H. Ashley and Jedediah Smith during the fall of 1825, or perhaps in the spring of 1826, on the west shore of Utah Lake. It was reportedly armed with one cannon before the post was later sold to the Rocky Mountain Fur Company in 1826. Its exact location is unknown to archaeologists.
(Fort Utah Park)
(1849 - 1858), Provo
A Mormon settlers' fort originally called Fort Provo, it consisted of a cluster of log cabins, with only one platform-mounted cannon for its defense. A second fort, nicknamed Fort Sowiette, was built nearby in 1853 during the "Walker War". A replica of the first fort is located on the original site at Fort Utah Park at 200 North Geneva Road. Tours of the interior by appointment only. Original cabins from the second fort are located at the Provo Pioneer Village in North Park at 500 West 600 North.
(1865 - 1866), Provo
A garrison post of Nevada Volunteers.
(1870 - 1871), Provo
A temporary Federal two-company infantry tent camp in town. A permanent site for Fort Rawlins was selected two miles east of town on the north bank of the Timpanogos (Provo) River, but it was never built.
Summit Creek Fort
(1856 - unknown), Santaquin
A fort was built when Mormon settlers returned after abandoning the original settlement here in 1853 as a result of the "Walker War". The town was originally known as Summit Creek until sometime after 1866.
Fish Springs Station
(1864), Fish Springs
A fortified Overland stage station. Some traces remain.
(1864), near Goshute
A fortified Overland stage station northeast of town, 12 miles from Deep Creek Station. Remnants at the site are marked.
Camp at Deep Creek Station
(1864), near Ibapah
CA Volunteers out of Camp Ruby, NV garrisoned this Overland stage station. Site is marked.
Fort Robidoux (1)
(1832 - 1834), near Ouray
An adobe-walled trading post located on the east side of the Green River on the south side of the mouth of the White River, about a mile or so south of town. Also known as Antoine Robidoux' Fort (1). Originally located here was William Reed's Post in 1828, which Robidoux bought out in 1832 and then enlarged.
Kit Carson and his trapping brigade established winter quarters here (or close by) in 1833 - 1834, a group of log huts known as Fort Kit Carson.
(Old) Fort Thornburgh
(1881 - 1882), near Ouray
A Federal infantry post established on Milk Creek after the Ute Black Hawk War. Originally located near the junction of the White and Green Rivers, the post was moved northeast 35 miles in the spring of 1882 to Ashley Creek, near Vernal, as New Fort Thornburgh (see below).
(Uintah and Ouray Indian Reservation)
(1886 - 1910), Fort Duchesne
A Federal post established by the famed "Buffalo Soldiers" (U.S. 9th Cavalry) to control the Uncompahgre and White River Utes. Later became the Fort Duchesne - Ute Indian Agency. Some original frame houses of the original post may still remain, as well as a stone magazine. The Northern Ute Tribal Museum is also located here.
(1837 - 1844), near Whiterocks
A trading post located on the Whiterocks River, more commonly called Fort Wintey. It was also known as Antoine Robidoux' Fort (2), or Fort Robidoux (2) (1837 - 1838). Destroyed by Ute Indians in 1844, killing several traders. A monument to Fort Robidoux is located on US 40 about five miles west of Roosevelt.
New Fort Thornburgh
(1882 - 1884), near Vernal
Relocated from the White River, near Ouray (see above), to Ashley Creek, about four miles northwest of town. The soldiers lived in tents until the spring of 1883 when the first adobe buildings were built, but squatters had settled the area by then and the government could not obtain clear title to the land, so the fort was abandoned the following winter. No remains.
Rock Fort (2)
(1860's ? or 1870's ?), Browns Park
The ruins of a rock-walled structure with possible rifle slits or loopholes is located along the Old Military Trail on the south bank of the Green River, across from the historic John Jarvie Ranch site and just upstream (west) of the Indian Crossing. It possibly may be military in origin. Local attribution claims that this structure may have also been used as a saloon at one time.
NEED MORE INFO: Undetermined locations for Federal Army camps: Camp on Lolos Creek (1860); Camp Porter (1859); Camp at Loveland's (1864); Camp Parker (date ?). Some sites possibly located in southern Utah or eastern Nevada.
A Mormon settlers' fort Round Station (1863) in Overland Canyon (location ?).
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com