Northern Saskatchewan

Beauval Post | Beaver Lake Posts | Beaver Lake Portage Post | Bedford House (1) | Bedford House (2)
Big Stone River Post | Fort Black | Bolsover House | Buffalo Lake House | Buffalo River Post
Candle Lake Post | Canoe Lake Post | Clapham House | Clear Lake Post | Cree Lake Post | Creighton Post
Egg Lake Post (1) | Essex House | Fairford House | Fond du Lac Post (1) | Fond du Lac Post (2)
Fraser's House | Fort Frobisher | Frobisher - Primeau House | Green Lake Posts | Gwillim Lake Post
Harrison's House | Île à la Crosse Posts | Island Falls Post | Lac des Boeufs Post | Lac des Cariboux Post
Lac des Serpents Posts | Lac La Loche Posts | Lac La Ronge Posts | Lake Assiniboine Post
La Loche Portage Post | McIntosh Lake Post | Methy Portage Post | Montreal Lake Post
Namew Lake Post | Pelican Lake House | Pelican Lake Post | Pelican Narrows Post | Pine House
Pine River Post | Pond's Post | Primeau Lake Post | Rapid River Posts | Reindeer Lake Post
Reindeer River Post | Setting River Post | Sandy Lake Post | Shell River Post | Souris River Post
South Reindeer Lake Post | Stanley House | Sturgeon Creek Post | Fort du Traite | Waterhen Lake Post

Southern Saskatchewan - page 1

ENCYCLOPEDIA OF SASKATCHEWAN
ATLAS OF SASKATCHEWAN - 1969 EDITION

Last Update: 02/OCTOBER/2010
Compiled by Pete Payette - ©2010 American Forts Network

Fort Henry Frobisher
(1773), near Whitey Narrows ?
An independent British trade post located north of the HBC's Cumberland House (see page 1). Also known as Frobisher - Primeau House. Artifacts are located at the Northern Gateway Museum (admission fee) in Denare Beach on Beaver Drive.

Namew Lake Post
(1778), near Sturgeon Landing
A North West Co. post.

Beaver Lake Portage Post
(1906 - 1910), near Sturgeon Landing ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Beaver Lake Posts
(1775, 1776), Amisk Lake
An independent British trade post was located here in 1775.

A Hudson's Bay Co. post was located here in 1776.

Creighton Post
(unknown dates), Creighton
A Royal North West Mounted Police post. The RNWMP Post Museum is located at 216 Creighton Ave..

Pelican Lake Posts
(1798/1817 - 1940), Pelican Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post (HBC records begin 1817). Also known as Pelican Narrows Post after relocating to the present town in 1874.

The North West Co.'s Pelican Lake House (1779 - 1780) was first located here.

Sturgeon Creek Post
(1800 - 1801), near Sandy Bay
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Churchill River.

Island Falls Post
(1938), Sandy Bay
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Churchill River.

Egg Lake Post (1)
(1809 - 1811),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post at the confluence of the Reindeer and Churchill Rivers. Possibly also known as Bedford House (2).

Fairford House
(1795 - 1796),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post at the confluence of the Reindeer and Churchill Rivers.

South Reindeer Lake Post
(1936 - 1941), near Southend
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Reindeer River south of town.

Reindeer River Post
(1792, 1795), Southend
A North West Co. post, relocated in 1795.

Reindeer Lake Post
(1798 - 1892), Southend
A Hudson's Bay Co. post. Also known as Clapham House.

Fort du Traite
(1774, 1821), Trade Lake
An independent British trade post on the Churchill River. Later became briefly a North West Co. post before the merger with the HBC.

Rapid River Posts
(1780, 1796 - 1941), near Stanley Mission
Three different independent British trade posts were located here, two sites dated to 1780, and a third site dated to 1798.

A Hudson's Bay Co. post was located near here in 1796, relocated in 1831 (HBC records begin 1856). Probably relocated again in 1898. The Old Fort Indian Reserve is located south of Stanley Mission, on the northeast shore of Lac La Ronge. The Anglican Church's Stanley Mission was established in 1851 at Church Mission Point, across from the present-day community. The HBC had built a post (Stanley House) in 1853 on the south bank of the Churchill River, opposite the mission. The historic mission site is now a part of Lac La Ronge Provincial Park. See also History of Stanley Mission from Stanley Mission Cree Nation

Peter Pond's Post
(1781 - 1782), near Sucker River
An independent British trade post on the northwest shore of Lac La Ronge.

Lac La Ronge Posts
(1782 - 1941), La Ronge
Originally a North West Co. post (possibly established by Jean-Étienne Wadin, who was killed by Peter Pond in 1782). The post was possibly relocated in 1793.

A Hudson's Bay Co. post was located here in 1812 (HBC records begin 1797).

Big Stone River Post
(1887 - 1894), near La Ronge
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Montreal Lake Post
(1894 - 1941), Montreal Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Candle Lake Post
(1887 - 1889), Candle Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Setting River Post
(1798 - 1799), near Alingly ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located northwest of Prince Albert.

Lake Assiniboine Post
(1897), near Debden ? or Canwood ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post according to the HBC Archives post locator map.

Shell River Post
(1883 - 1910), near Shell Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Fraser's House
(1790, 1798), McIntosh Lake
Originally a North West Co. post on the Churchill River.

McIntosh Lake Post was located here in 1798 (NWC ? or independent ?).

Souris River Post
(1875 - 1939), near Sandfly Lake ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post along the Churchill River.

Lac des Serpents Posts
(1786 - unknown), near Pinehouse Lake
A North West Co. post and a competing independent British trade post were located near the mouth of the Tippo River. Also known as Pine House.

Sandy Lake Post
(1885 - 1909), Sandy Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post along the Churchill River.

Primeau Lake Post
(1775), Primeau Lake
An independent British trade post on the Churchill River.

Pine River Post
(1921 - 1941), Patuanak
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Fort Black
(1800), near Île-à-la-Crosse
An XY Co. post on the Churchill River (Lac Île-à-la-Crosse), possibly on Black Bay.

Beauval Post
(1937 - 1940), Beauval
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Canoe Lake Post
(1889 - 1912), Canoe Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Waterhen Lake Post
(unknown dates), Waterhen Lake
A North West Co. post.

Bolsover House
(1799 - 1800), Meadow Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Green Lake Post (1)
(1781 ? / 1789 - unknown), Green Lake
A North West Co. post, originally located at the southern end of the lake, relocated to the northern end of the lake in 1799.

The Hudson's Bay Co.'s Essex House (1799 - 1940) was located at the northern end of the lake. Also known later as Green Lake Post (2).

Île à la Crosse Posts
(1776 - 1940), Île-à-la-Crosse
Originally a North West Co. post. Relocated in 1791.

A Hudson's Bay Co. post (HBC records begin 1805) was located here in 1790, relocated in 1799.

Lac des Boeufs Post
(1790 - unknown), near Dillon
A North West Co. post on Peter Pond Lake.

The Hudson's Bay Co. built Buffalo Lake House nearby in 1791.

Buffalo River Post
(1889 - 1940), near Michel or St. George's Hill
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the west shore of Peter Pond Lake.

Clear Lake Post
(1904 - 1941), Churchill Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Simonds Channel on the north shore of Churchill Lake.

Lac La Loche Posts
(1780 - 1834 ?), Lac La Loche
A North West Co. post on the northwest shore of the lake. Relocated in 1819 to the south shore of the lake.

The Hudson's Bay Co. also had a post on the west shore of the lake in 1819, relocated to the northeast shore of the lake in 1830.

La Loche Portage Post
(Clearwater River Provincial Park)
(1834 - 1932), near La Loche West
A Hudson's Bay Co. post at the portage between Lac La Loche and the Clearwater River. Also known as Methy Portage Post.

Gwillim Lake Post
(unknown dates), Gwillim Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post. Located southwest of Cree Lake.

Cree Lake Post
(1891 - 1902), Cree Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the southwestern shore of the lake.

Bedford House (1)
(1796 - 1817), Reindeer Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post (HBC records cover 1796 - 1797) located on Bedford Island, near the mouth of the Wathaman River, along the western shore of Reindeer Lake.

Here or nearby was the North West Co.'s Lac des Cariboux Post (1790 ?, 1805 - unknown).

Fond du Lac Post (2)
(1851 - 1909), Fond-du-Lac
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Fond du Lac Post (1)
(1800 ? / 1816 ? - 1822), Lake Athabasca
A North West Co. post on the north shore of Lake Athabasca near Beaverlodge Lake.

The Hudson's Bay Co.'s Harrison's House (1819 - 1851) (HBC records begin 1816) was located nearby.


Southern Saskatchewan - page 1

QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
Updates @ NorthAmericanForts.com

Google