Canadian Forts

SASKATCHEWAN

Albany House | Fort Alexandria | Balleau's House | Batoche | Battle Creek Post
Battle River Posts | Fort Battleford | Battleford Post | Bow River Post | Bressalop Post
Broadview Post | Cannington Post | Capot River Post | Fort Carlton (1) | Fort Carlton (2)
Fort Carlton (3) | Carlton House (1) | Carlton House (2) | Carlton House (3) | Carlyle Post
Chesterfield House | Chimney Coulee Post | Fort à la Corne (1) | Fort à la Corne (2)
Cumberland House | Duck Lake Post | Eagle Hills Post | East End Post | Egg Lake Post (2)
Elbow Lake Posts | Fort Espérance | Farwell's Post | Farwell Creek Post | Finlay's Falls Post
Fishing Island Post | Graburn Post | Grant's House | Fort Hibernia | Indian Elbow Post
Isaac's House | Fort de L'Isle (1) | Fort de L'Isle (2) | Jackfish Lake Post | Fort John
Fort la Jonquière | Last Mountain House | Fort Livingstone | Long Creek Post
Lower Hudson House | Lower Nipawin House | D. Mackay's Post (1) | D. Mackay's Post (2)
Manchester House | Maple Creek Post | Marlboro House | Fort du Milieu
Montagne d'Aigle Post | Fort la Montée | Moose Jaw Post | Moosomin Post
Muskeg Lake Post | Nepawi House (1) | Nipawi Post (2) | Nipawin Post (2) | Camp Norris
Nut Lake Post | Onion Lake Posts | Fort Otter | Pas Mountain Post | Fort Pelly
Petaigan River Post | Pigeon's House | Pine Island Post | Fort Pitt | Fort des Prairies
Prince Albert Blockhouse | Prince Albert Post (1) | Prince Albert Post (2) | Fort Providence
Fort Qu'Appelle (1) | Fort Qu'Appelle (2) | Fort Qu'Appelle (3) | Qu'Appelle Post
Qu'Appelle Lakes Post | Qu'Appelle River Post (1) | Qu'Appelle River Post (2)
Qu'Appelle River Post (3) | Red Deer River Post | Regina NWMP Depot | Fort St. Louis (1)
Fort St. Louis (2) | Saltcoats Post | Fort San | Saskatchewan Landing Post | Saskatoon Post
Short Creek Camp | Sixty Mile Bush Post | Snake Creek Post (1) | Snake Creek Post (2)
Solomon's Post | Somerset House | South Branch House | Stoney Creek Post | Sturgeon Fort
Sturgeon River Posts | Swan River Barracks | Swift Current Camp | Ten Mile Post
Thornburn's Post | Touchwood Hills Post | Fort Tremblante | River Tremblante Post
Fort aux Trembles | Turtle Fort | Turtle River House | Tute's Canadian House
Umfreville's House | Upper Assiniboine House | Upper Hudson House
Upper Nipawin House | Upper Red Deer River Post | Fort Walsh | Fort War Road
Whitewood Posts | Willow Bunch Post | Wolseley Post | Wood End Post
Wood Mountain Post

Northern Saskatchewan - page 2

TRAILS OF 1885
OLD FORTS TRAIL
ENCYCLOPEDIA OF SASKATCHEWAN
ATLAS OF SASKATCHEWAN - 1969 EDITION

Last Update: 27/JANUARY/2012
Compiled by Pete Payette - ©2012 American Forts Network

Graburn Post
(1888), near Fort Walsh
A NWMP patrol post on Battle Creek northwest of Fort Walsh, along the Alberta border.

Fort Walsh (National Historic Site)
(1875 - 1883, 1942 - 1968), near Maple Creek
A reconstruction of a North West Mounted Police (NWMP) stockade fort. Headquarters of the NWMP from 1878 to 1882. Abandoned in 1883, then burned in 1886. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) later rebuilt the post as a remount depot to breed and train horses. Administered by Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park (Parks Canada). Admission fee.

Along Battle Creek to the south on the Benton Trail were American Abel Farwell's Trade Post (1872 - 1873), and also Moses Solomon's Trade Post (1872 - 1873), illegal "wolvers", both reconstructed on Parks Canada land by the RCMP in 1972 (limited public access). About 2 km south of Fort Walsh (off Parks Canada land) is the site of the Cypress Hills Massacre (NHS) (June 1873), where the American traders killed Nakota Indians in camp, precipitating the formation of the NWMP.

Battle Creek Post
(1875 - 1917), near Fort Walsh
A NWMP patrol post located on Battle Creek south of Fort Walsh. Originally named Ten Mile Post. First established under canvas in 1875 on the Benton Trail at the Battle Creek crossing, this detachment continued as a summer outpost until 1886 when several log buildings were erected. It was occupied almost continuously until the end of 1917.

Farwell Creek Post
(1888), near Ravenscrag
A NWMP patrol post on Farwell (Fairwell) Creek.

Chimney Coulee Post (Provincial Historic Site)
(1871 - 1872), Eastend
Site of a Hudson's Bay Co. post, located about 6 km north of town at the former Métis "Hunters' Settlement" (pre-1870).

The North West Mounted Police built a detachment post here in 1876, used intermittently until 1887 (East End Post).

Maple Creek Post
(1888), Maple Creek
A NWMP patrol post.

Chesterfield House
(1800 - 1805, 1822 - 1823), near Estuary
A Hudson's Bay Co. post at the confluence of the South Saskatchewan and Red Deer Rivers near the Alberta border.

A North West Co. post (1800 - 1802) and an XY Company post (1800 - 1805) were also located here (Bow River Post ?)

Saskatchewan Landing Post
(Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park)
(1888), Saskatchewan Landing
A NWMP patrol post on the South Saskatchewan River, south of Kyle.

Swift Current Camp
(1874, 1888), Swift Current
A North West Mounted Police camp. Either still in use through the 1880's or later re-established by 1888 as a patrol station.

Snake Creek Post (2)
(1888), near Val Marie
A NWMP patrol post on Snake Creek.

Wood Mountain Post (Provincial Historic Park)
(1874 - 1918), Wood Mountain
A North West Mounted Police post. Two buildings have been reconstructed and stumps outline the rest of the post. Admission fee. Sitting Bull and 5,000 Sioux followers fled the U.S. and took refuge here in 1877 after the 1876 Battle of the Little Bighorn.

Willow Bunch Post
(1888), Willow Bunch
A NWMP patrol post.

Camp Norris
(1888), near Ormiston
A NWMP patrol post near Shoe Lake.

Long Creek Post
(1856 - 1858), near Torquay
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on Long Creek.

Wood End Post (Museum and Historic Site)
(1883 - 1896), near Estevan
A North West Mounted Police border patrol post. One of the barracks, built in 1883, is now a museum located next to the Estevan National Exhibition Centre, at 118 4th Street. It was moved from the original site before the construction of the Boundary Dam in 1957. Artifacts and exhibits inside the museum. In 1873-74 the original "Wood End" site, located on the Souris River at Long Creek, first served as a camp for surveyors of the British North American Boundary Commission. The NWMP also encamped here in 1874. See also Estevan Community Access Project

Short Creek Camp
(1874), Roche Percee
A North West Mounted Police campsite. Site marked by a stone cairn just east of town.

Souris River Post
(1888), near Carnduff
A NWMP border patrol post on the Souris River at the international border, southwest of town.

Carlyle Post
(1888), Carlyle
A NWMP patrol post.

Cannington Post
(1888), Cannington Lake
A NWMP patrol post near the White Bear Indian Reserve.

Moosomin Post
(1888), Moosomin
A NWMP patrol post.

Whitewood Posts
(1891 - 1906), Whitewood
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

A NWMP patrol post was here in 1888.

Fort Espérance (National Historic Site)
(1785 - 1810, 1816 - 1819), near Rocanville
A North West Co. supply post established by Robert Grant. Also known as Fort Qu'Appelle (1) (HBC records begin 1793). Originally located on the south bank of the Qu'Appelle River, it was later rebuilt on a nearby knoll (before 1810 ? or in 1816 ?). The post was relocated again in 1819 about 22.5 km (10 miles) east in present-day Manitoba (renamed Beaver Creek Post). The present monument is west of the first location, which is a farm field by the river. Cellar depressions still remain.

Nearby to the east was the XY Company post Qu'Appelle River Post (1) (1801 - 1805).

A Hudson's Bay Co. post (Qu'Appelle River Post (2)) (1801 - unknown) was briefly located on the north bank of the Qu'Appelle River opposite Fort Espérance.

Fort John
(1813 - 1819), near Tantallon
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Qu'Appelle River.

A North West Co. post was located nearby in 1814.

Qu'Appelle River Post (3)
(1810 - 1814 ?), near Bird's Point
A North West Co. post on the Qu'Appelle River at Round Lake.

Broadview Post
(1888), Broadview
A NWMP patrol post.

Wolseley Post
(1888), Wolseley
A NWMP patrol post.

Qu'Appelle Lakes Post
(1854 or 1855 - 1864), Qu'Appelle
A Hudson's Bay Co. post, also known as Fort Qu'Appelle (2). Rebuilt or relocated in 1857. The town was originally named Troy.

A NWMP post was later here in 1888 (Qu'Appelle Post).

Fort Qu'Appelle (3)
(1852 - 1854, 1864 - 1897/1911), Fort Qu'Appelle
A Hudson's Bay Co. post (HBC records cover 1882 - 1911) located on the south bank of the Qu'Appelle River at Jumping Deer Creek. The Canadian Militia (North West Field Force) in 1885 used one of the HBC log buildings (school), which is still located adjacent to the Fort Qu'Appelle Museum at 198 Bay Ave. North (admission fee). A stand-alone HBC store was built offsite in 1897 at Broadway Street and Company Ave.. See also History of Town of Fort Qu'Appelle

A NWMP outpost was built nearby in 1876 - 1882 (at the present-day golf course).

Fort San
(1880's ?), Fort San
A North West Mounted Police post located across the Qu'Appelle River from the town of Fort Qu'Appelle.

Regina N.W.M.P. Depot
(1882 - present), Regina
Established as the headquarters post and main supply depot of the North West Mounted Police. Still an active post, it now functions as the sole cadet training academy for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. The RCMP Heritage Centre is located here. See also RCMP Drill Hall (1929) and Administrative Block (1913) from Canadian Register of Historic Places

Moose Jaw Post
(1888), Moose Jaw
A NWMP patrol post.

Last Mountain House (Provincial Historic Park)
(1869 - 1873), Craven
A Hudson's Bay Co. post, a subpost of Fort Qu'Appelle (3). Three of the buildings have been reconstructed, including a privy and an ice house. Admission fee.

Touchwood Hills Posts (Provincial Historic Park)
(1850 - 1890/1909), Punnichy
Site of a Hudson's Bay Co. post (HBC records cover 1852 - 1888). Rebuilt / relocated a fourth and final time in 1879. Only cellar depressions remain.

A NWMP patrol post was located here or nearby in 1888.

Saltcoats Post
(1888), Saltcoats
A NWMP patrol post on the Manitoba and Northwestern Railroad.

(Cuthbert ?) Grant's House
(1791 - 1798), near Runnymede
A North West Co. post on the Assiniboine River at Lake of the Prairies.

Marlboro House
(1793 - unknown), near Kamsack
A North West Co. post on the Assiniboine River. This may have also been known as Fort Tremblante (or River Tremblante Post).

Albany House
(1790 - 1803), near Kamsack
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Assiniboine River. Rebuilt or relocated in 1799.

Elbow Lake Posts
(1795 - 1821), near Kamsack
A North West Co. post on the Assiniboine River near the HBC's Fort Hibernia. Rebuilt or relocated in 1803.

An independent British trade post was also located here in 1795 and 1803.

Fort Hibernia
(1807 - 1869), near Kamsack
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Assiniboine River.

Fort Alexandria
(1795 - 1821), near Sturgis
A North West Co. post on the Assiniboine River.

Carlton House (1)
(1795 - 1800), near Sturgis
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Assiniboine River. Also known as Fishing Island Post. Established the same year and with the same name as the HBC's other Carlton House (2) on the Saskatchewan River near Prince Albert.

Upper Assiniboine House
(1803 - 1805), near Sturgis
An XY Company post on the Assiniboine River, near the HBC's Carlton House (1).

Fort Pelly (National Historic Site)
(Fort Pelly - Livingstone Museum)
(1824 - 1872/1912), Pelly
A Hudson's Bay Co. post (HBC records cover 1793 - 1912) that was headquarters for the Swan River District. Also known as Indian Elbow Post. Rebuilt after destroyed by a flood in 1825. Rebuilt again in 1842 after a fire. Fort Pelly Site #1 PHS. Rebuilt entirely in 1856 0.4 km southeast of the original site. Fort Pelly Site #2 NHS. Later used by the North West Mounted Police. The abandoned post was sold and dismantled in 1921. Museum located at 305 1st Ave. South. Admission fee.

Fort Livingstone (National Historic Site)
(1874 - 1884), near Pelly
A North West Mounted Police post, originally known as Swan River Barracks, located on the south bank of the Swan River near Snake Creek, about 16 km north of the HBC's Fort Pelly. This was the first headquarters of the NWMP, and the first capital of the Northwest Territories in 1876. The NWMP HQ moved to Fort Macleod, Alberta, in 1876, and the post then became a subpost of Shoal Lake, Manitoba. The buildings burned down after the post was abandoned. See also Canadian Register of Historic Places
Fort Livingstone Protected Area from Canadian Register of Historic Places

Snake Creek Post (1)
(1797 - unknown), near Pelly
A North West Co. post on the Swan River at Snake Creek.

Egg Lake Post (2)
(1853 - 1912), near Swan Plain ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Swan River.

Capot River Post
(unknown dates), near Kelvington ?
Shown on the "Atlas of Saskatchewan" (1969).

Nut Lake Post
(1870's ?), Nut Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located at the south end of Nut Lake, shown on an 1888 NWMP map.

Red Deer River Post
(1812 - 1815), near Hudson Bay ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Red Deer River.

The North West Co.'s Upper Red Deer River Post was located nearby in 1785.

Pas Mountain Post
(1870 ?, 1929 - 1934), near Shoal Lake ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post (HBC records begin 1929) in the Pasquia Hills. This was probably the same post shown on an 1888 NWMP map which was located on the Carrot River northwest of Shoal Lake.

Cumberland House (Provincial Historic Park)
(1774 - 1942), Cumberland House
A Hudson's Bay Co. supply post on Pine Island (HBC records to 1940). This was the first inland post of the company, and became the province's first permanent white settlement in 1796. The post was moved in 1793 about 2 km west to its present site. An 1886 stone powder magazine remains. Nearby are the salvaged remains of the Hudson's Bay Co.'s steamboat Northcote, beached here in 1886.

The North West Co. built a competing post (1780 - 1821) about 100 yards away from the original HBC post. Rebuilt/relocated in 1793. It was abandoned after the merger of the two companies.

An independent British trade post was located here in 1773 - 1775.

Fort la Jonquière
(1750 - 1753 ?), near Cumberland Lake ?
A French supply post on the Saskatchewan River, probably located somewhere near Pemmican Point, or possibly as far west as Lower Nipawi (Nipawin).

Donald Mackay's Post (1)
(1785 - 1786), near Squaw Rapids ?
An independent British trader's wintering house on the Saskatchewan River.

Petaigan River Post
(1792 - 1793), near Tobin Lake Village ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Saskatchewan River, at Tobin Lake.

Nipawin Post (2)
(1794 - 1795), Nipawin
A Hudson's Bay Co. post. Also spelled Nipawi.

Thornburn's Post
(1789 - unknown), near Nipawin
A North West Co. post on the Saskatchewan River, below Finlay's Falls.

Finlay's Falls Post
(1768 - 1773), near Nipawin
An independent British trade post on the south bank of the Saskatchewan River.

David Grant's Lower Nipawin House
(1793 - unknown), near Nipawin
An independent British trade post on the Saskatchewan River, above Finlay's Falls.

Isaac's House
(1773 - unknown), near Brockington
An independent British trade post on the south bank of the Saskatchewan River, below Peonan Creek. Also known as Fort aux Trembles.

Fort à la Corne (1)
(1753 - 1757), near Weldon
A French trading post located on the Saskatchewan River at Peonan Creek, also known as Fort des Prairies or Fort St. Louis (1). This was the farthest west French trading post known.

Fort à la Corne (2)
(1846 - 1930), near Weldon
The Hudson's Bay Co. constructed this post (HBC records begin 1851) near the site of the old French fort (see above), on the south bank of the Saskatchewan River.

Fort Carlton (1)
(1795 - 1804), near Prince Albert
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located at the Forks of the Saskatchewan River. Also known as Carlton House (2). Established the same year and with the same name as the HBC's other Carlton House (1) on the Assiniboine River near Sturgis.

The North West Co.'s Fort St. Louis (2), or Nepawi House (1) (1794 - unknown), was first located here.

David Grant's Upper Nipawin House
(1793 - unknown), near Prince Albert
An independent British trade post located at the Forks of the Saskatchewan River near the HBC's Fort Carlton (1).

Balleau's House
(1801 - unknown), St. Louis
A North West Co. post.

Nearby was an independent British trade post (Fort de L'Isle (1)) in 1785.

South Branch House (Provincial Historic Site)
(1786 - 1794), near St. Louis
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the south or east bank of the South Saskatchewan River. Attacked and burned in 1794 by Gros Ventres Indians.

The North West Co. also had a post located here in 1786, rebuilt in 1804 near the HBC's Carlton House (3).

An independent British trade post was also here in 1786.

Fort Carlton (2)
(1804 - 1810), near St. Louis
A Hudson's Bay Co. post that was relocated from the Forks of the Saskatchewan River to a new site 58 km upstream on the South Saskatchewan River, above South Branch House. Also known as Carlton House (3).

Duck Lake Post
(1885 - 1906), Duck Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Batoche (National Historic Site)
(1885, 1888), Batoche
This preserved village served as the Métis' "Provisional Government of Saskatchewan" headquarters under Louis Riel during the Northwest (Riel) Rebellion. The Battle of Batoche occurred in May 1885 against the Canadian Militia (North West Field Force). The North West Mounted Police later built barracks here in 1888 (at Batoche Crossing). The town was practically abandoned by 1920.

Other nearby Northwest Rebellion sites include: Fish Creek NHS (Parks Canada) (site of the "Battle of Tourond Coulee" (April 1885)), about 25 km south of Batoche; and the "Battle of Duck Lake" NHS (March 1885), located on the Beardy and Okemasis Indian Reserves near Duck Lake, the first battle of the Northwest Rebellion. Of interest in Duck Lake is the Duck Lake Regional Interpretive Centre (admission fee).

Saskatoon Post
(1888), Saskatoon
A NWMP patrol post.

Sixty Mile Bush Post
(1888), near Duperow
A NWMP patrol post located in "The Bear Hills".

Fort Providence
(1780 - unknown), near Prince Albert
A trade post on the North Saskatchewan River.

Prince Albert Blockhouse
(1885), Prince Albert
Originally built as a stable/barn in the 1870's, it was used by settlers for defence during the Northwest Rebellion. Originally located at 1st Ave. West and 12th Street, now located at 1st Ave. West and 22nd Street at Kinsmen Park.

Nearby at 2nd Ave. West and Marquis Road is the Rotary Museum of Police and Corrections, which is located in the former 1888 NWMP Guardhouse (Prince Albert Post (2)).

Prince Albert Post (1)
(1881 - 1924), Prince Albert
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Sturgeon Fort
(1776 - 1780), near Prince Albert
An independent British trade post on the North Saskatchewan River, at the mouth of the Sturgeon River. This was probably the same post that was said to have been established by Peter Pond in 1776, located just to the west of town.

Sturgeon River Posts
(1790's), near Prince Albert
Located on the Sturgeon River were trade posts established by the North West Co. (1793 - 1795), Hudson's Bay Co. (date ?), XY Company (1798 - 1805), and independent traders.

Lower Hudson House
(1779 - 1787), near Shellbrook ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the North Saskatchewan River.

Upper Hudson House
(1778 - 1779), near Shellbrook ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the North Saskatchewan River, relocated downstream in 1779 to the Lower Hudson House.

An independent British trade post was also located here in 1778.

Tute's Canadian House
(1782 - 1785), near Wingard
A North West Co. post.

Fort du Milieu
(unknown dates), near Wingard or Carlton
Shown on the "Atlas of Saskatchewan" (1969).

Fort Carlton (3) (Provincial Historic Park)
(1810 - 1885), Carlton
A replica of a Hudson's Bay Co. post as rebuilt in the 1860's. The store is now a fur trade history museum, and the visitor centre is in a reconstruction of the 1879 Factor's House. The reconstruction includes the stockade wall, five buildings, and a First Nations encampment. Admission fee.

The NWMP was garrisoned here in 1875 for the Treaty 6 negotiations, and again in March 1885 during the Northwest Rebellion. The fort burned down soon after the NWMP left.

Fort la Montée
(1797 - 1820), Carlton
A North West Co. post on the North Saskatchewan River, rebuilt adjacent to the HBC's Fort Carlton (3) in 1810.

Muskeg Lake Post
(1888), near Marcelin
A NWMP patrol post at the Muskeg (Petequakey) Indian Reserve.

Pigeon's House
(1779 - 1800 ?), near Maymont ?
A North West Co. post on the North Saskatchewan River.

Montagne d'Aigle (Eagle Hills) Post
(1778 - 1779), near Maymont
An independent British trade post on the North Saskatchewan River, established by Peter Pangman and John Cole. Abandoned after an Indian attack in April 1779, in which Cole was killed. Monument located in Glenburn Regional Park, although the actual site may have been about nine miles below the Battle River near Denholm.

Battle River Posts
(1800 - 1804 ?, 1805 - 1821), Battleford
A North West Co. post on the North Saskatchewan River, at the mouth of the Battle River. Possibly also known as (or a nearby rebuild ?) Fort War Road (1805).

An independent British trade post (1785 - 1794) was also located here.

Fort Battleford (National Historic Site)
(1876 - 1924), Battleford
A North West Mounted Police post. Five buildings have been reconstructed with the stockade and bastions. These include the commanding officer's residence, Officers' quarters (1886), stable (1898), guardhouse, and barracks (1886). The fort sheltered the local settlers during the Northwest Rebellion in 1885. This was the administrative center of the Northwest Territories in 1878 after Fort Livingstone. Admission fee.

The Canadian Militia (North West Field Force) built Fort Otter, a fortified camp, nearby at the former Government House in April 1885 in response to the Northwest Rebellion. The Government House burned down in 2003. The "Battle of Cut Knife Hill" (May 1885) occurred to the west near Cut Knife. Of interest in Cut Knife is the Clayton McLain Memorial Museum in Tomahawk Park.

Battleford Post
(1883 - 1914), Battleford
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Jackfish Lake Post
(1858 - unknown), Jackfish Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Turtle Fort
(1780 - unknown), near Delmas
A North West Co. post on the North Saskatchewan River, at the mouth of the Turtle Lake River. Also known as Turtle River House.

Near here the HBC established Somerset House (1799 - 1800) (not to be confused with the earlier Somerset House in Manitoba).

Bressalop Post
(1888), near Delmas
A NWMP patrol post.

Pine Island Post
(1785 - 1793), near Edam
A North West Co. wintering post built by James Mackay on an island in the North Saskatchewan River. Also known as Fort de L'Isle (2) (not to be confused with the later Fort de L'Isle in Alberta). The Hudson's Bay Co. also built Manchester House nearby. Both posts were abandoned and burned in 1793 after attacked by Gros Ventres Indians. Independent traders also operated here at times, including Donald Mackay in 1786-87 (Mackay's Post (2)).

Edward Umfreville's House
(1784 - unknown), near Hillmond
A North West Co. post on the North Saskatchewan River, below Fort Pitt.

Fort Pitt (Provincial Historic Park)
(1829 - 1890/1918), near Frenchman Butte
A Hudson's Bay Co. post (HBC records cover 1830 - 1918), rebuilt in 1833. This post was the halfway point between Fort Carlton (3) and Fort Edmonton. Area settlers fled here for protection after the Frog Lake (Alberta) Massacre in April 1885. Garrisoned by a detachment of North West Mounted Police in 1876 and 1885. Cree Indians lay seige to the fort for 12 days in April 1885, then burned the post. The HBC later that year rebuilt the post, then abandoning it in 1890 for Onion Lake Post. Gun pits from the Northwest Rebellion are located nearby, along a walking trail. The remains of both HBC and NWMP posts are visible.

Nearby to the east on Little Red Deer Creek is the Frenchman Butte NHS (Parks Canada), scene of battle in May 1885 between the Alberta Field Force and the Cree Indians. Of interest in Frenchman Butte is the Frenchman Butte Museum. Northeast of Fort Pitt near Loon Lake is Steele Narrows PHP, site of the "Battle of Loon Lake" (June 1885), the last military action on Canadian soil. Northwest of Fort Pitt, just across the Alberta border, is Frog Lake NHS at Frog Lake, scene of the Cree Indian attack on settlers in April 1885.

Onion Lake Posts
(1887 - 1925), Onion Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

A NWMP patrol post was here in 1888.


Northern Saskatchewan - page 2

NEED MORE INFO: Hudson's Bay Co. Stoney Creek Post (1884 - 1891) located in the Cumberland District (unknown location).

QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
Updates @ NorthAmericanForts.com

Google