Southern Illinois

Allison's Fort | Alma Blockhouse | Altes Fort | Camp Alton | Alton Blockhouse | Camp Anna
Armstrong's Fort (1) | Fort de l'Ascension | Fort Augusta | Barcroft Place Fort | Barney's Fort
Bartlett's Blockhouse | Post at Battery Rock | Beck's Blockhouse | Fort Bellefontaine
Camp Bissell | Black Island Fort | Blackman's Blockhouse | Boone's Fort
Boultinghouse's Fort | Fort Bowman | Brashear's Fort | Brazil's Station | Brown's Blockhouse
Camp Butler (2) | Fort Butler | Fort Cahokia | Cahokia Mounds | Camp Cairo
Campbell's Blockhouse | Carlyle Fort | Fort Cavendish | Chambers' Fort | Fort de Chartres
Chilton's Fort | Fort Clark (1) | Compton's Fort | Council's Fort | Crainville Blockhouse
Crozat's Fort | Camp Cunningham | Fort Darling | Fort Defiance (2) | Camp Douglas (2)
Downing's Station | Camp Dubois (1) | Camp Dubois (2) | Eaton's Fort | Fort Foote
Fort la Fourche | Fort François | French Post (1) | French Post (2) | Fort Gage | Going's Fort
Golden's Blockhouse | Camp Goode | Camp Grant (1) | Greathouse's Fort | Green's Fort
Handy's Fort | Hanna's Fort | Camp Hardin | Hartford Fort | Camp Hayden
Hayes' Blockhouse | Fort Higgins | I. Hill's Fort | J. Hill's Fort | N. Hill's Fort
Camp Houghtaling | Hurst Blockhouse | Illinois River Blockhouse | Jones' Fort (1)
Jones' Fort (2) | F. Jordan's Fort | T. Jordan's Fort | Journey's Fort | Karnes' Blockhouse
Fort Kaskaskia | Post at Kaskaskia | Kincaid Mounds | F. Kirkpatrick's Fort
J. Kirkpatrick's Fort | T. Kirkpatrick's Fort | Fort La Motte | Land's Fort | Lemen's Blockhouse
Lofton's Blockhouse | Camp Logan (1) | Lyndley's Fort | Camp McAllister
Camp McClernand | McHenry's Fort | Camp Marshall | Fort Massac | Fort Massiac
Camp Mather (3) | Middleton's Fort | Milton Fort | Fort Monterey | G. Moore's Blockhouse
J. Moore's Fort | Old Stone Fort | Fort Palmyra | Pankey's Blockhouse | Piggott's Fort
Prairie Marcot Blockhouse | Camp Prentiss | Preuitt's Blockhouse | Raleigh Blockhouse
Ramsey's Fort | Camp River DuBois | Rude's Blockhouse | Camp Russell | Fort Russell
Fort Ste. Anne | Shelton's Fort | Silver Creek Fort | Skillet Fort | Slocumb's Fort
Camp Smith | Starkey's Fort | Stockade Fort | Fort Sumter | Fort Tamarans | Tanquary's Fort
Touga's Fort (2) | Touga's Post (1) | Tugaw's Fort | Vieu Fort | Whiteside's Station
Fort Wilkinson | Cantonment Wilkinsonville | Fort Willard | Williams' Fort | Wilson's Fort
Wood's Fort | Wood River Fort

Northern Illinois - page 1 | Greater Chicago Area - page 2

Last Update: 04/JUNE/2016
Compiled by Pete Payette - ©2016 American Forts Network

Fort Monterey
(1812), near Hardin ?
A blockhouse located on the Illinois River about 20 miles upriver from its mouth at the Mississippi River.

Nearby, or the same fort, was Prairie Marcot Blockhouse (1811), aka Lt. John Campbell's Blockhouse, a territorial militia fort located on the west side of the river 19 miles from its mouth.

Illinois River Blockhouse
(1811), near Grafton
A territorial militia blockhouse built at or near the mouth of the Illinois River.

Alton Blockhouse
(1812), Alton
A settlers' blockhouse.

Camp Alton
(1862 - 1865), Alton
A military prison camp during the Civil War. Also near here was the Union encampment Camp Dubois (1).

Camp River DuBois
(1803 - 1804), near Wood River
A stockaded winter encampment with five cabins, located at the mouth of the Wood River (River DuBois). This was the departure point for the Lewis and Clark Expedition in May 1804.

The fortified camp has been recreated in nearby Hartford at the Lewis and Clark Visitor Center at the Lewis and Clark State Historic Site.

Wood River Fort
(1812), Wood River
A settlers' fort.

George Moore's Blockhouse
(1808), near Wood River
A settlers' blockhouse.

Hartford Fort
(1812), near Hartford
A settlers' fort located opposite the Missouri River.

Jones' Fort (1)
(1807), near Edwardsville
A settlers' fort north of town, probably near Indian Creek.

Paul Beck's Blockhouse
(1811, 1831), near Edwardsville
A settlers' fort located on John (?) Beck's farm, three miles east of town. Rebuilt during the 1831 Sauk War.

Fort Russell
(1804 - 1815), Edwardsville
This five-gun stockaded blockhouse was the headquarters and main supply depot for the territorial militia. U.S. Army Regulars were briefly here in 1812. Also referred to as Camp Russell. The guns were supposedly taken from old Fort de Chartres. Located one and one-half miles northwest of town.
(thanks to Marshall Sitrin and Marvin Atchison for additional info)

Thomas Kirkpatrick's Fort
(1811), Edwardsville
A settlers' blockhouse located 300 yards from Cahokia Creek at the end of present-day O Street just off of North Main Street. Brother to James and Frank.

James Kirkpatrick's Fort
(1811), near Edwardsville
A settlers' blockhouse located three miles southwest of town. Brother to Frank and Thomas.

Frank Kirkpatrick's Fort
(1811), near Edwardsville
A settlers' blockhouse located southeast of town, east of brother James' fort.

Joseph Bartlett's Blockhouse
(1810's), Pin Oak Township, Madison County
A settlers' blockhouse, it stood until 1834 when it was moved and converted to stables.

Milton Fort
(1812), Madison County
A settlers' fort located at the old townsite of Milton in Madison County.

Stockade Fort
(1812), Madison County
An unnamed settlers' fort. Undetermined location.

Preuitt's Blockhouse
(1812 - 1817), Madison County
A settlers' blockhouse. Undetermined location. Dismantled in 1817 and sold for lumber.

Lofton's Blockhouse
(1812), Nameoki Township, Madison County
A settlers' blockhouse located in the "American Bottom".

Hayes' Blockhouse
(1812), Nameoki Township, Madison County
A settlers' blockhouse located in the "American Bottom".

Downing's Station
(1810 ? - unknown), Madison County
A settlers' fort located somewhere in the southern part of the county.

Jones' Fort (2)
(1807), near Greenville
A settlers' fort located on the east side of Shoal Creek at the fork of the east and west branches, about eight miles southwest of town, and about two and one-half miles east of Pocahontas. Originally known as James Green's Fort.

Capt. Isaac Hill's Fort
(1806/1808 - 1817), near Greenville
A settlers' stockaded blockhouse with two interior cabins, located on the west side of Shoal Creek five miles south of town. Garrisoned by the territorial militia until 1813. Attacked by Indians in September 1814. Became the first courthouse of Bond County in 1817 - 1821. Monument erected in 1918. Actual site found in 2001 and a replica blockhouse with stockade and cabin has been reconstructed (since 2011) on the grounds of the American Farm Heritage Museum at 1395 Museum Ave..

Lyndley's Fort
(1800's), Bond County
A settlers' fort. Undetermined location.

John Hill's Fort
(1811 - 1830's ?), Carlyle
A settlers' fort located six blocks south of the present-day courthouse, at Lake Carlyle. Also known as Carlyle Fort. John Hill operated a ferry across the river. Possibly still in use during the Black Hawk War.

Journey's Fort
(1812), Aviston
A settlers' blockhouse located north of town.

Nat Hill's Fort
(1812), near Pierron
A settlers' fort located a few miles above the mouth of Goshen (Doza) Creek, on the east side of the creek east of town.

Fort Sumter
(1860's ?), Highland
No data.

Silver Creek Fort
(1812), near Troy
A settlers' fort located on Silver Creek northeast of town. Possibly Shelton's Fort below ?

(William ?) Shelton's Fort
(1809), Madison County
A settlers' fort located on Silver Creek.

Brazil's Station
(1810), Madison County
A settlers' fort located on Terrapin Ridge, five miles from Shelton's Fort.

Chilton's Fort
(1812 ?), St. Jacob
A settlers' blockhouse located about two miles west of town. It was never attacked. Also known as Fort Augusta. The site was most likely destroyed during highway construction in the 1980's.
(thanks to Jeff Pauk for additional info)

Fort Butler
(1812), St. Jacob
A settlers' fort and refuge for 11 families. It was never attacked.

Capt. Nathan Chambers' Fort
(1811), Summerfield
A settlers' fort located one mile south of town near a branch of Silver Creek on the western edge of Looking Glass Prairie. The area was known as Union Grove at the time.

Alma Blockhouse
(1811), Carbon
A settlers' blockhouse. The town name was originally Alma.

Camp Bissell
(1861), near Caseyville
A Civil War training camp.

Cahokia Mounds (State Historic Site)
(900 - 1200), Collinsville
A Mississippian Culture palisaded city and mound complex. Originally about 4000 acres, now presently encompassing 2200 acres, this was once the largest Native American city north of Mexico. The state park encompasses 475 acres of the original site. Seventeen mounds, including Monks Mound (the largest earthwork in Eastern North America), were located within the palisade. Over 100 smaller mounds were located outside the main city, with about 40 still extant. The palisade consisted of square bastions or towers spaced about every 70 feet.

Fort Cahokia
(Cahokia Courthouse State Historic Site)
(1733 - 1781), Cahokia
Originally a French trading post and mission, first settled in 1699 and palisaded in 1700. Fort Tamarans was built in 1723, garrisoned by only five men. Rebuilt and enlarged in 1733. The British held this fort from 1765 until July 1778 when the Americans captured it, and they renamed it Fort Bowman. The British attacked in 1780, but were defeated. The British and Americans most likely used the old French stone mission house as the post.

James Piggott's Fort
(1783 - unknown), Columbia
A settlers' blockhouse located one and one-half miles west of town at "Le Grand Ruisseau" in the American Bottom. Piggott operated a ferry across the river.

William Whiteside's Station
(1793 - unknown), near Waterloo
A settlers' station located halfway between Columbia and Waterloo.

Fort Bellefontaine
(1787 - 1790's), Waterloo
A settlers' town fort, a palisaded blockhouse for five families. Also known as Capt. James Moore's Fort. The present Belle Fontaine House was built in the late 1790's on the site of the fort. Restored, it is now the Monroe County Historical Society at 709 South Church Street.

Brashear's Fort
(1786 - 1795), Harrisonville
A settlers' fort.

Lemen's Blockhouse
(1790's ?), Monroe County
A settlers' blockhouse. Undetermined location.

Golden's Blockhouse
(1790's ?), Monroe County
A settlers' blockhouse. Undetermined location.

Fort de Chartres (State Historic Site)
(1720 - 1772), Prairie du Rocher FORT WIKI
This was the capital of French Illinois Territory. The French had to rebuild the wooden fort in 1727 and again in 1732 due to river flooding, but was finally abandoned in 1747. The site of the 1732 fort was archaeologically confirmed in 2011, just east of the present site, across IL 155. In 1753 a four-acre stone fort with 18-foot high walls was constructed away from the river. It was completed in 1760. The British called it Fort Cavendish when they held it (1765 - 1772). They abandoned it when the Mississippi River encroached, and relocated to Fort Kaskaskia. The north wall and guardhouse have been partially reconstructed on site. The powder magazine is original. See also Encyclopedia of French Cultural Heritage in North America

Antoine Crozat's Fort
(1712 - 1717), near Prairie du Rocher or Evansville
A small French fort built to protect a mining operation. Located 15 miles from Kaskaskia. Crozat only found lead ore, never any gold or silver, and never made any profit.

Fort Kaskaskia (State Historic Site)
(1733 - 1764, 1772 - 1776, 1778 - 1780, 1802 - 1807), Ellis Grove FORT WIKI
The French first settled here in 1703. Possibly rebuilt in 1736. The French rebuilt the wooden stockade fort with new earthworks in 1759, with four blockhouses, but destroyed it in 1764 to prevent British occupation. The British did not occupy the post until 1772 after Fort de Chartres was abandoned. Instead of garrisoning the old French fort, the old 1703 stone-built French mission was fortified and used as barracks, named Fort Gage, until they were withdrawn in 1776 to Detroit. The Americans captured the town and unoccupied post in July 1778 and renamed it Fort Clark (1). After the war John Dodge illegally ruled the area from here until 1790. A Federal post was garrisoned here 1802 - 1807, known as Post at Kaskaskia. The French earthworks still remain. The town became the Territorial capital in 1809 and the first State capital in 1818. The original town site was obliterated in floods of 1844 and 1910. The flood of 1881 resulted in the town being located on the west side of the Mississippi River. The fort is still located on the east side of the river. Of interest nearby is the Pierre Menard Home SHS and the Kaskaskia Bell Memorial.

French Fort Ste. Anne (1719) was possibly located here, or possibly at Prairie du Rocher.

George Wilson's Fort
(1806), Randolph County
A settlers' blockhouse near Schaffner Lake.

Barcroft Place Fort
(1810's), Jackson County
A settlers' fort located at Barcroft Place (location ?).

Anna Civil War Camps
(1861 - 1862), Anna
Civil War training camps located here were Camp Anna (1861), Camp Douglas (2) (1861), and Camp Dubois (2) (1861 - 1862).

Cairo Civil War Camps and Forts
(1861 - 1865), Cairo
Located in the area were Camp Cairo (1861), Camp Butler (2), Camp Houghtaling (1861) an artillery camp, Camp McAllister (1861), Camp Smith (1861), and Fort Darling (1861 - 1865). (see also Bird's Point Fort in MISSOURI)

Fort Defiance (2) (Historic Site)
(1861 - 1865), Cairo FORT WIKI
A major Union supply depot at Cairo Point. Originally called Camp Prentiss, renamed Camp McClernand in 1861. A reproduction of the fort is in the city-operated park.
See also History of the Wisconsin 42nd Infantry Regiment, with photos of Cairo Point.

Fort la Fourche
(unknown dates), near Mound City
An old French fort marked on a 1755 map. Also known as Altes Fort, Fort François, and Vieu Fort.

Possibly (?) this was the fort and tannery built in 1702 by Charles Juchereau, sieur de St. Denys, located a few miles north of the mouth of the Ohio River, near Grand Chain. It was abandoned in 1704. See also Southernmost Illinois History

Cantonment Wilkinsonville
(1801 - 1802), near Mound City
A temporary Federal 400-acre palisaded encampment at Metcalfe Landing, with 20 log barracks and a stone powder magazine. It was abandoned after regional tensions with France / Spain in Louisiana died down. Also known as Fort Wilkinson. No remains. The state historical marker gives the date of establishment as 1797.

Camp Hardin
(1861), Villa Ridge
A Civil War training camp.

Fort Massac (State Park)
(1757 - 1764, 1794 - 1814, 1850 - 1862), Metropolis FORT WIKI
Originally called Fort de l'Ascension, or Fort Ascension. Attacked by Cherokee Indians in 1757. The name was changed in 1759 to Fort Massiac when the fort was rebuilt. Chickasaw Indians burned the fort after it was abandoned. After finding the ruins in 1778, the British did not rebuild the fort. Americans rebuilt it in 1794 and corrupted the French name (without the "i"). Rebuilt again in 1802. It was heavily damaged in the 1811 New Madrid Earthquake. Rebuilt again, but abandoned in 1814. The town was platted in 1839. Reoccupied in 1850 as an encampment site. Used as a training camp in 1861. Abandoned for the last time in 1862 due to a measles epidemic among the soldiers. A 1970's replica fort on the original site depicted the 1794 American fort, but it was dismantled in 2002. The current structure (2003) near the original site is a replica of the 1802 American rebuild. The outline of the 1757 French fort is now at the original site.

Camp Hayden
(1860's), near Unionville
A Civil War camp on Mud Creek.
(thanks to Stanley Schmitt for providing location)

Fort Willard
(1861 ?), near Unionville
A Union earthen work on Mud Creek, across from Paducah, KY, to defend a pontoon crossing.
(thanks to Stanley Schmitt for providing location)

Kincaid Mounds (State Historic Site)
(1050 - 1450), near New Liberty
A Mississipian Culture palisaded 19-mound temple complex on the Ohio River south of town along the Pope and Massac County lines. Along the outer palisade were spaced bastions or towers about every 100 feet. Interpretive markers are at the site. Only those mounds within Massac County are owned by the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency.

Hurst Blockhouse
(1809), near Hurst
A settlers' blockhouse.

Crainville Blockhouse
(1811), near Crainville
A settlers' blockhouse located east of town.

Old Stone Fort ? ?
(1810 ?), Stonefort
A settlers' defense may have been located here at the prehistoric stone formations attributed to the Mound Builders or an earlier Native American culture.

Saline County Settler Forts
(1810 - 1815), various locations, Saline County
Hankerson Rude's Blockhouse, undetermined location.
Coleman Brown's Blockhouse, located north of the Wolf Creek Church near Eldorado.
Hampton Pankey's Blockhouse, located about 1.5 miles northwest of Carrier Mills.
Raleigh Blockhouse, Raleigh Township.
Karnes' Blockhouse, located near the Bethel Creek Church (location ?).
An unnamed blockhouse located near the Brushy Church in Brushy Township.
Blackman's Blockhouse, reconstructed at, or moved to, the Saline Creek Pioneer Village in 2004, located at 1600 South Feazel Street, Harrisburg. Owned and operated by the Saline County Historical Society.

Frank (Francis) Jordan's Fort
(1811), near Frankfort
A settlers' blockhouse in eastern Franklin County. Brother to Thomas.

Thomas Jordan's Fort
(1811), near Thompsonville
A settlers' blockhouse located three miles southwest of town. Brother to Frank.

Camp Marshall
(1862), Salem
A Civil War training camp.

Post at Battery Rock
(Shawnee National Forest)
(1861 - 1864), near Lamb, Hardin County
A Union gun battery (two guns) on the heights above the Ohio River on Sturgeon Hill at Battery Rock (80 feet above the river), and corresponding post at Battery Rock Landing, just downstream of Sturgeon Island, and opposite the town of Caseyville, KY.

Camp Mather (3)
(1861 - 1863), Shawneetown
A Civil War training camp and hospital. Renamed Camp Logan (1).

Jonathan Boone's Fort
(1812 ?, 1814 ?), New Haven
A settlers' stockaded enclosure with several buildings. After Boone died, his son Joseph operated a trading post here.

White County Settler Forts
(1812 - 1815), in or near White County
This area was known as the "Big Prairie". Located in White County as its borders then existed in 1812 (may include Hamilton County):
Capt. Daniel Boultinghouse's Fort (1812), a settlers' fort (location ?).
Hardy Council's Fort (1813), possibly aka Starkey's Fort, a settlers' blockhouse (location ?).
John Hanna's Fort (1812) (location ?).
Robert Land's Fort (1812), located one-half mile south of Hanna's Fort.
Captain William McHenry's Fort (1812) possibly aka Tanquary's Fort, a state militia blockhouse (location ?).
John Slocumb's Fort (location ?).
Skillet Fort, located between Skillet Fork River and the Little Wabash River.
Aaron Williams' Fort (1813), a settlers' blockhouse (location ?).

French Trading Post (2) ?
(Beall Woods State Park)
(unknown dates), Keensburg
An outpost of Vincennes. Also known (later ?) as Touga's Trading Post (1).

John Greathouse's Fort
(1811 - 1815), Wabash County
A settlers' fort located on Greathouse Creek.

Ramsey's Fort
(1811), Wabash County
A settlers' blockhouse.

John Wood's Fort
(1810), Friendsville
A settlers' fort.

Fort Palmyra
(1810's), Friendsville
A settlers' or local militia fort located near Wood's Fort.

Levi Compton's Fort
(1810), Allendale
A settlers' fort on Coco Creek to accommodate 100 families in times of crisis.

Fort Higgins
(1810's), Allendale
A settlers' or local militia fort located near Barney's Fort.

William Barney's Fort
(1812), Allendale
A settlers' fort.

Armstrong's Fort (1)
(1812), Allendale
A settlers' fort.

Joseph Touga's Fort (2)
(1812), St. Francisville
A settlers' stockade, with several log houses and two blockhouses in opposite corners. Also spelled Tugaw.

Samuel Allison's Fort
(1809), near Russellville
A settlers' fort.

French Trading Post (1)
(1680's), Palestine
A French trading outpost of Vincennes was once located in the area, near "Pointe Coupee".

Fort Foote
(1813 - unknown), Palestine
A settlers' stockade fort, originally named William Eaton's Fort, built after a disagreement over chain-of-command at Fort La Motte. The Northwest Rangers garrisoned the fort later. The site was completely destroyed in the 1940's by a gravel pit operation. Artifacts have been found, however.
(info provided by Tony Treadway, and also by Greg Parrott)

Fort La Motte
(1811 - 1812, 1813 - unknown), Palestine
Originally here was La Motte Station or Blockhouse, a palisaded blockhouse which was abandoned and then burned by Indians in 1812. A second fort was built in 1813 by the Northwest Territory Rangers, on or near the original site on La Motte Creek, possibly east of Leaverton Street and south of La Motte Street. By 1814 there were 26 families living here and it was garrisoned by about 60 Northwest Rangers. Spelling variations include Lamotte, and Lemott. Recently excavated. A 2009 reconstruction of a representative period stockade fort and blockhouse is located in Leaverton Park.
(info provided by Tony Treadway, and also by Greg Parrott)

Thomas Handy's Fort
(1816), West Union
A settlers' palisaded fort, with three cabins. Also garrisoned by the Northwest Rangers.

Camp Grant (1)
(1861), Mattoon
A Union training camp, originally named Camp Cunningham. A marker is at the railroad depot. The original flagpole is now at the U.S. Grant Motor Inn.

Camp Goode
(1860's), Coles County
A Civil War training camp.


NEED MORE INFO: Black Island Fort (unknown date) with six guns, located on Mississippi River; Middleton's Fort (1812 ?), a settlers' fort located somewhere on the Kaskaskia River; Going's Fort (1812 ?), a settlers' fort located somewhere on the Kaskaskia River.

Northern illinois - page 1 | Greater Chicago Area - page 2

QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com


Eastern Forts