Archer's Station |
James Arnold's Station |
Baker's Station (Fort (1)) |
Big Crossing Station
Camp Bishop | Black's Station | Blackburn's Station | Blanton's Fort | J. Boofman's Station
Fort Boonesborough (1) | Boonesboro Fort (2) | Fort Boone (1) | Fort Boone (2)
D. Boone's Fort (1) | D. Boone's Station (2) | S. Boyle's Station | Camp Bradley
Bradshaw's Stockade | Bramblett's Station | Bramlett's Station | Fort Bramlette
Fort Brannaum | Bryan's Station | Bryant's Station | Burnt Station (2) | Bush's Station
W. Campbell's Station | Cane Ridge Station | S. Cartwright's Station (2) | R. Clark's Station
Fort Clay | H. Clay's Station | Camp Collier | Constant's Station | Cook's Station (2)
Cooper's Station | Camp Corbin | E. Craig's Station | John Craig's Station (2)
John Craig's (Fort) Station (3) | Joseph Craig's Station | L. Craig's Station (2)
Fort Crittenden (1) | Fort Crittenden (2) | Crossthwaite's Station | Curtwright's Station
Donaldson's Station | Dunaway's Station | Ellis' Station | Emison's Station
Emmerson's Station | Field's Station (2) | Florer's Station (2) | Flournoy's Station
Frankfort Arsenal | Camp Frazer | Frazier's Station | Camp Garnett | Fort Garrett
Camp Gibbs | Goar's Station | Graddy's Station | J. Grant's Station (1) | W. Grant's Station (1)
J. Haggin's Station (1) | Camp Hamilton | A. Hamilton's Station | R. Hamilton's Station
Harrison's (Fort) Station | Hart's Station | Haydon's Station | Herndon's Station
Higgin's Station | Hinkston's Station | Camp Hobson | Holder's Station | Hood's Station
Hornbeck's Station | P. Houston's Station | Hoy's Station (2) | Hunter's Station
J. Huston's Station | Fort Hutchinson | Indian Old Fields | Innes' Station | Irish Station (1)
Johnson's Station | Keller's Bridge Stockade | S. Kenton's BH (1) | Kiser's Station
Lexington Station | Fort Liberty (2) | Fort Licking (1) | Lindsay's Station | McClain's Station
J. McClelland's (Fort) Station | McClelland's Station (2) | F. McConnell's Station
W. McConnell's Station (1) | W. McConnell's Station (2) | McCracken's Station
D. McGee's Station | W. McGee's Station | McGhee's Station | McGuire's Station
McMillin's Fort | Camp Madison | Major's Station | Marble Creek Station
Martin's Fort (Station) | Masterson's Station | Camp Miles | Camp Mill Farm
J. Miller's Station | W. Miller's Station (2) | Morgan's Station | Morrison's Station
Camp Nelson | Old Indian Stockade | J. Owens' Station | Owings' Station | Patterson's Fort
Raglund's Station | Riddle's Fort | Camp Robinson | Rogers' Station | Ruddle's Fort (Station)
Sandusky's Station (2) | Camp Sanger | Camp Sawyer | Scholl's Station | Sconce's Station
C. Scott's Station | J. Scott's Station (1) | J. Scott's Station (2) | Shipp's Station
Sodowsky's Station (2) | Fort Spring (2) | Stafford's Station | Stockton's Station (1)
Strode's Station (1) | Stroud's Station (1) | Summit's Station | Swinney's Station
W. Thomas' Station | Thompson's Station | J. Todd's Station | L. Todd's Station
Unity Station | White Oak Springs | H. Wilson's Station (2)
Northern Kentucky - page 1 | South Central Kentucky - page 3
Eastern Kentucky - page 4 | Western Kentucky - page 5
KENTUCKY'S CIVIL WAR HERITAGE TRAIL
FILSON HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Keller's Bridge Stockade
(1860's), near Cynthiana
A Union stockade protecting the Kentucky Central Railroad bridge over the South Fork Licking River, located north of town.
(1861 - 1862), Cynthiana
A Union camp and depot destroyed in 1862 by Morgan's Raiders.
Also in the general area was Union Camp Garnett (undetermined location).
Old Indian Stockade
(unknown dates), Lexington
Located north of town along North Elkhorn Creek and Mt. Horeb Road.
Civil War Defenses of Lexington
(Lexington in the Civil War by NPS)
Union works included:
Fort Clay (1862), marker at the west-end of the West High Street viaduct. Extensive earthworks with ditch, drawbridge, and magazine.
Fort Spring (2), west of present-day Blue Grass Airport.
Fort Garrett, near Pinckard in Woodford County.
Fort Crittenden (2), undetermined location.
Camp Ella Bishop, undetermined location.
Camp Sawyer, undetermined location.
Spanish-American War Camps of Lexington
Spanish-American War muster and training camps were:
Camp Bradley at the Woodland Park Chautauqua Grounds.
Camp Collier at Tattersall's Fairgrounds. Probably at or near the present-day Red Mile horse track (built 1875).
Camp Hobson at Loudoun Park. The troops renamed the post Camp H.C. Corbin.
Camp Hamilton at the James Clark farm on Bryan Station Road about 4.5 miles northeast of the city. Possibly originally named Camp Sanger.
Camp J.B. Gibbs, an Army General Hospital probably located at Camp Hamilton.
Camp Miles at the Wiel Farm four miles west of the city along the Louisville Southern Railroad, near Van Meter, about eight miles west of Camp Hamilton. Initially an overflow camp for Camp Hamilton, then used for Negro troops.
Camp Mill Farm unknown location.
Fort Boone (2)
(Fort Hill - Leslie Morris Park)
(1863 - 1865), Frankfort
This earthwork fort was originally built in 1863, named Fort Crittenden (1), by local militia troops and hired slave labor, to protect the pro-Union government. Unsuccessfully attacked by Confederates in June 1864. Union troops later built the larger New Redoubt (aka New Fort Boone) on the crest of the hill. The park, opened in 1999, is in the center of town on a forested hill. Erosion and road construction have destroyed most of the New Redoubt.
(1850 - unknown/present), Frankfort
The "Old State Arsenal" is located at East Main Street and Capital Ave. Briefly occupied by CSA troops in September 1862. Reconstructed in 1933 after a fire. Portion still in use by the KY National Guard. The Kentucky Military History Museum is located here, opened in 1973.
(1860's), Franklin County
A temporary Union camp. Undetermined location.
(1863 - 1865), Mt. Sterling
A Union fort. No remains, site now a cemetery.
Indian Old Fields
(1750's), Indian Fields
A Shawnee stockaded village known as Es-kip-pa-ki-thi-ki. Visited by British trader John Findlay in 1752. Findlay escorted Daniel Boone to the abandoned site in 1769. Marker on KY 15 near Goffs Corner.
Daniel Boone's Station (2) (State Historic Site)
(1779 - 1783), Athens
Built by Daniel Boone on Boone Creek after he and his family left Fort Boonesborough. Samuel Boone, Daniel's oldest brother, also settled here. Boone Creek was named after Daniel's brother Edward Boone, killed in 1780. Site was excavated in 1999.
Boonesborough (1) (State Park)
(1776 - 1820), Boonesboro
Originally here was Daniel Boone's Fort (1) or Fort Boone (1) in April 1775, located at Sycamore Hollow. The settlement was moved 300 yards and renamed by Richard Henderson in July 1776. The new compound was a rectangular formation of eight log cabins on the long sides parallel to the river, and five cabins on the short sides. Two-story log blockhouses were at each corner. The log stockade wall between the blockhouses was not actually completed until 1779. Attacked by the British and Indians in April 1777 and September 1778. Boone's original cabin/fort was burned in 1777 during the seige of the main fort. Became the first chartered town in Kentucky in 1779. The present structure is a reconstruction of the state's second settlement. Admission fee.
Fort at Boonesboro (2)
(1863 - 1865), near Boonesboro
An unnamed Union earthen moated redoubt protecting the Kentucky River crossings at Clays Ferry and Valley View. Built by Union Negro troops. Opened as a Clark County park in 2005.
An identical redoubt was also located on the opposite side of the river (no remains).
(Civil War Heritage Park)
(1862 - 1865), near Hall
This was a major Union supply depot, recruitment center, and prison camp during the Civil War, originally over 4000 acres. Site now part of Jessamine County Parks, located two miles from the Camp Nelson National Cemetery. Union earthwork batteries north of the camp included Batteries Hatch, Nelson, Jackson, Putnam (reconstructed), Pope, J.P. Taylor, McKee, and Jones. Earthworks still remain for most of the batteries. Another named battery in the area was Battery Studdiford (location ?). The 1850 Oliver Perry House is the only original structure left remaining from the over 300 buildings used at the camp. The Union troops called it the "White House". See also 12th United States Colored Heavy Artillery
(1863 - 1865), near Camp Nelson
A Union earth and stone fort located just south of Camp Nelson on a hill overlooking Hickman Creek and the Kentucky River. Still exists. Private property.
(1862 - 1865), near Camp Nelson
A Union fort south of Camp Nelson at the Kentucky River. A marker is on US 27.
Camp Dick Robinson
(1861 - 1862), Garrard County
A Union training camp and depot. It was the first Union recruiting center south of the Ohio River. It was relocated north of the Kentucky River in 1862 and renamed Camp Nelson (see above). A marker is on US 27 at Camp Nelson Park.
Early Pioneer Stations and Forts
Stations of Harrison County by Robert Francis
John Scott's Station (2) (1796), about five miles east of Cynthiana on Indian Creek, near Shady Nook.
John Haggin's Station (1) (1780), located about a mile and a half upriver from Cynthiana, either at Sellars Run or at Paddy's Run. Spelled Higgin in one source. Haggin originally had a log cabin here in the spring of 1776, but abandoned it.
Major John Hinkston's Station (1776, 1780), near Lair, one and one-half miles upriver from Haggin's Station (1). Abandoned after an Indian attack (July 1776), then later reoccupied or rebuilt nearby in 1780. Destroyed by Indians soon afterwards (June 1780).
Simon Kenton's Blockhouse (1) (1776 - 1777), a cabin built during the winter at the site of the abandoned Hinkston's Station.
Isaac Ruddle's Fort (Station) (1779 - 1780), near Lair, five miles north of Martin's Fort. Also known as Fort Licking (1) or Fort Liberty (2). Built at or near the site of Hinkston's Station. Attacked and destroyed by the British and Indians in June 1780. Also spelled Ruddell or Riddle in some sources.
Benjamin Harrison's (Fort) Station (1784 or 1786), near Lair on the South Fork Licking River, three miles south of Cynthiana. Attacked by Indians in 1787.
Samuel McMillin's Fort (1779), near Colville ?. Possibly located across the Bourbon County line.
Hoy's Station (2) (date ?), Moorefield. Attacked in August 1782. The "Upper Blue Licks" is located northeast of town at the KY 57 crossing of the Licking River.
James Ellis' Station (date ?), Ellisville.
Irish Station (1) (1790's), located on the Licking River about five or six miles south of (Lower) Blue Licks Station.
George Summit's Station (1780's), located 12 miles from the "Lower Blue Licks" (undetermined).
Early Stations of Bourbon County by Robert Francis
Major John Miller's Station (1784), one mile northeast of Millersburg. A log cabin was possibly built here in 1779. Brother to William. Town was settled in 1783.
William Miller's Station (2) (1780's), north of John Miller's Station. Brother to John.
John Martin's Fort (Station) (1779 - 1780), located on Stoner Creek three miles north of Paris, near Kiserton. Attacked and destroyed by the British in June 1780 after Ruddle's Station was attacked.
Robert Clark's Station (1784), on Clark's Creek about three miles southwest of Paris.
Joseph Huston's Station (1776), near Paris. Only a single log cabin.
Peter Houston's Station (1780, 1789), Paris. Town was originally named Hopewell, then Bourbonton.
William McConnell's Station (2) (1788), Paris, on Houston Creek. Cousin to William McConnell (1).
Cane Ridge Station (1786 or 1787), near Blacks Crossroads on Blacks Creek. Also known as James Sandusky's (Sodowsky's) Station (2).
Robert Sconce's Station (1789), east of Paris between Harrod's Creek and Roger's Creek. The Shawnee leader Bluejacket was briefly held here in 1789 after his capture.
Henry Wilson's Station (2) (1798), near Little Rock on Brush Creek.
John Cooper's Station (1775 - 1776), on Cooper Run two miles southwest of Kiserton. Probably only a single log cabin. Cooper was killed by Indians in July 1776. John's brother James took over, but he too was killed in August 1776.
William McGee's Station (1780), on Cooper Run southwest of Cooper's Station. Also known as James McGuire's Station.
John Kiser's Station (date ?), Kiserton ?
William Thomas' Station (1784), on Kennedy Creek north of Sidville.
Col. John Grant's Station (1) (1779 - 1788), five miles northeast of Bryan's Station on Houston Creek, south of Hutchison. Attacked and burned in 1780, then abandoned until 1784 when rebuilt by Grant. The second house burned down probably around 1822, or was dismantled even later by a new owner.
Dr. Henry Clay's Station (1787), near Clintonville on Green Creek.
Samuel Cartwright's Station (2) (1788), Clintonville. Also spelled Curtwright.
Major Andrew Hood's Station (1785), about five miles from Strode's Station, probably near Austerlitz.
Swinney's Station (date ?), North Middletown.
Ralph Morgan's Station (1789), near Spencer at Spencer and Slate Creeks, seven miles southeast of Mount Sterling. Attacked by Indians in April 1793, the last Indian raid into Kentucky.
Bradshaw's Stockade (date ?), one mile north of Mount Sterling.
Capt. John Holder's Station (1780), on Lower Howard Creek near Lisletown.
David McGee's Station (1780), on Lower Howard Creek north of Holder's Station. Also spelled McGhee.
Nathan Hart's Station (1779), one mile upriver from Boonesboro. Also known as White Oak Springs. A simple log cabin was first built in 1775.
Capt. William Bush's Station (1780), near Elkin on Two Mile Creek near the Kentucky River. The various cabins were separated on individual tracts, not built together in a palisaded cluster. The settlement's church was used as the defensive shelter.
Major George Stockton's Station (1) (1787), located two miles from Winchester.
Stephen Boyle's Station (date ?), about one mile south of Strode's Station (1).
Samuel ? (or Capt. John ?) Strode's Station (1) (1779), two miles northwest of Winchester on Strode's Creek. Attacked in 1781. Often mistakenly spelled Stroud. INFO from Betty Southard Stokes
John Constant's Station (1785), about one mile north of Strode's Station (1).
Crossthwaite's Station (1791), Winchester.
Samuel Hornbeck's Station (1788), located on Johnson Creek west of Renick.
John Donaldson's Station (date ?), on Donaldson Creek north of Wades Mill.
William Bramblett's Station (1780), on Stoner Creek south of Wades Mill. Also spelled Bramlett.
Baker's Station (Fort (1)) (1776), on Stoner Creek, five miles west of Mount Sterling.
Edmund Raglund's Station (date ?), on Stoner Creek near L and E Junction.
William Scholl's Station (1781), Schollsville.
Frazier's Station (date ?), on Upper Howard Creek near Goffs Corner.
Dunaway's Station (date ?), on the Kentucky River near Mina.
William McConnell's Station (1) (1779), Lexington, on Town Branch Elkhorn Creek at the original Lexington Springs (McConnell Springs Park), 416 Rebmann Lane. First settled in 1775. Attacked in 1781. Cousin to William McConnell (2).
Francis McConnell's Station (date ?), Lexington, just east of McConnell Springs.
Rev. Lewis Craig's Station (2) (1781), on North Fork Elkhorn Creek near Bryan's Station, due east of Lexington Station.
Joseph (or William or George) Bryan's Station (1779 - 1780's), Lexington, on North Fork Elkhorn Creek. Consisted of forty log cabins connected in a 200 yard-by-50 yard parallelogram for defense, with a 12-foot high stockade. Attacked by Indians in August 1782. Settlement was first established in 1776, then abandoned. By 1782 this was the largest station in the state. Site is on private property, but the granite monument can be seen from the road. Often misspelled as Bryant.
Lexington Station (1779), Lexington, on Town Branch Elkhorn Creek. Consisted of three rows of cabins forming the fort walls, also known as Col. Robert Patterson's Fort. Rebuilt by John Todd in 1781 as a 94-square-foot blockhouse fort with timbered revetments and a wide ditch. Marker at Main and Mill Streets. Town was established in 1782.
John (or Jacob) Boofman's Station (1780), on a fork of Boone's Creek (Boofmans Fork ? or Baughmans Fork), near Daniel Boone's Station (2). Probably no more than a single log cabin. First settled in 1776.
John Owens' Station (1790), somewhere northeast of Lexington. Also spelled Owings.
McClain's Station (date ?), located two miles northeast of Lexington.
John Rogers' Station (date ?), on David Creek south of Montrose.
Burnt Station (2) (1780 or 1781), four miles east of Lexington.
John Craig's Station (2) (date ?), on North Fork Elkhorn Creek south of Bryan's Station.
Joseph Craig's Station (1780), on South Fork Elkhorn Creek, just north of Levi Todd's Station.
Levi Todd's Station (1779), on South Fork Elkhorn Creek, on Bowman's Mill Road behind the later-built Cedar Hall manor.
John Todd's Station (date ?), near Jonesboro.
Richard (or James) Masterson's Station (1790 ?), a two-story log house. Originally known as McClelland's Station (2) (1786) until sold later. Marker located at Masterson Station Park on US 421.
Unity Station (1780), on (North ? or South ?) Elkhorn Creek.
Stafford's Station (1787), located about seven or eight miles north of Lexington. Probably only a single log cabin.
Robert Thompson's Station (1790), located on the north-side of Town Branch Elkhorn Creek 2.8 miles northwest of Lexington. Probably only a single house.
William Grant's Station (1) (date ?), on Goose Creek near Loradale.
Anthony (or Andrew) Lindsay's Station (1790), one or two miles northwest of Stamping Ground along Lecompte's Run.
John Scott's Station (1) (1780's ?), near Stamping Ground. Probably only a single log cabin.
Thomas Herndon's Station (date ?), northeast of Stamping Ground.
William Campbell's Station (1792), northwest of Great Crossing.
Robert Johnson's Station (1783), on North Fork Elkhorn Creek at Great Crossing. Also known as Big Crossing Station.
McCracken's Station (date ?), on McCracken Creek northwest of Georgetown. Probably only a single log cabin.
John McClelland's (Fort) Station (1776 - 1777, 1781), Georgetown, at Royal Spring. It was left in ruin after an Indian raid in 1777. It was in use again by 1781. Marker located at Big Spring Park on Water Street.
Flournoy's Station (date ?), located southeast of Georgetown. Built by Matthew and Francis Flournoy.
Laban Shipp's Station (date ?), near Newtown.
Ash Emmerson's Station (1786), on Dry Run north of Georgetown, near Delaplain. Also spelled Emison.
Stephen Archer's Station (date ?), near Cranetown.
James Arnold's Station (date ?), on the Kentucky River south of Frankfort, south of Haydon's Station.
William Haydon's Station (1784), on the Kentucky River south of Frankfort, on Yeatman's Branch (?). Probably only a simple log cabin.
Blanton's Fort (1770's - 1790's), Frankfort, located on Fort Hill. (info by Jim Geisler)
Archibald Hamilton's Station (1792), possibly located near the Frankfort Capital City Airport.
Robert Hamilton's Station (1790), a few miles west of Frankfort.
John Major's Station (1784), southwest of Forks of Elkhorn.
Cook's Station (2) (1792), on Elkhorn Creek, north of Forks of Elkhorn. Only a single log cabin. Attacked by Indians in 1792.
William Goar's Station (1785), on or near Elkhorn Creek about two and one-half miles northeast of Leestown. South or southwest of Innes' Station.
Harry (or Henry) Innes' Station (1792 or 1793), on Elkhorn Creek about four miles north of Frankfort.
George Blackburn's Station (date ?), near Spring Station.
Jesse Graddy's Station (date ?), on Glenns Creek south of McKees Crossroads.
Capt. John Craig's (Fort) Station (3) (1783), five miles south of Versailles on Clear Creek. Marker at KY 33 and KY 169. Erroneously called Elijah Craig's Station in one source (brother to Rev. Lewis Craig).
Field's Station (2) (date ?), somewhere on East Fork Clear Creek.
Gen. Charles Scott's Station (date ?), on Craig Creek near the Kentucky River.
Marble Creek Station (date ?), somewhere on Marble Creek near Spears, possibly located within Fayette County.
Black's Station (1790 ?), on the east-side of East Fork Clear Creek.
Jacob Hunter's Station (1784), on the east-side of Hickman Creek about five miles southeast of Nicholasville, north of Mt. Lebanon.
Morrison's Station (date ?), somewhere on Hickman Creek.
Special thanks to Charles Bogart, Council of America's Military Past (CAMP), for providing information on the Civil War forts and pioneer stations of Kentucky.
NEED MORE INFO: Florer's Station (2) (1792) somewhere on the trail from Maysville to Lexington.
Northern Kentucky - page 1 | South Central Kentucky - page 3
Eastern Kentucky - page 4 | Western Kentucky - page 5
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
Updates @ NorthAmericanForts.com