Adams' Station |
John Arnold's Station |
Ashe's Station |
Ashton's Station |
Bailey's Station (1)
Bardstown Station | Baughman's Station | Bell's Station | Best's Station
Boiling Springs (Fort) Station | Boofman's Station (2) | G. Boone's Station | Bowman's Station
Brigg's Station | J. Brown's Station | J. Bunton's Station (1)(2) | Camp Burnside (2)
Burnt Station (1) | Caldwell's Station | Canebreak Station | Carpenter's Station (1)
Z. Carpenter's Station | S. Cartwright's Station (1) | W. Casey's Station (1) | Camp Charity
G. Clark's Station (1) | Camp Coffey | Coffman's Station | Corn's Station | Cowan's Station
Cox's Station | Crab Orchard Station | Craig's Station (1) | John Craig's Station (1)
L. Craig's Station (1) | Crew's Station | Camp Crittenden | J. Crow's Station | W. Crow's Station
James Davis' Station (1) | Denton's Station | Dougherty's Station | Dover Station
Downey's Station | Downing's Station | English's Station | Estill's Station | Estill's New Station
W. Field's Station | Fisher's Station | Florer's Station (1) | J. Froman's Station
P. Froman's Station | Gilbert Creek Station | Givens' Station | Goodin's Fort
S. Goodwin's Fort (a) | Goodwin's Station (b) | J. Gordon's Station (1)(2)
W. Grant's Station (2) | Grubb's Station | J. Haggin's Station (2) | Hancock's Station
Harberson's (Fort) Station | Hardin's Station (2) | Harlan's Station | Harlin's Station
S. Harlin's Station | Fort Harrod | Harrod's Station (1) | Harrod's Station (2)
Camp Harwood | Hite's Station | W. Hoy's Station | Hutton's Station | Irish Station (2)
Irvin's Station (2) | Irvine's Station (2) | W. Irvine's Station | Kennedy's Station (2)
J. Kennedy's Station | S. Kenton's Station (2) | Kincheloe's Station | Knob Lick Station
Post at Lebanon | Liberty Fort (1) | Little Fort | Locust Bend Station | Locust Thicket Fort
Logan's Fort (Station) | Low Dutch Station (2) | B. Lynn's Station | Camp Lytle
J. McAfee's Station | W. McAfee's Station | McAfee's Upper Station | McBride's Station
McCormick's Station | J. McCoun's Station | McCoun's Station (2) | McGary's Station
McKinney's (Fort) Station | McMurtry's Station | Madison's Station | Meaux's Station
W. Miller's Station (1) | Montgomery's Station | Camp Moody | Moore's Station (1)
Camp Morton | Owsley's Station | Paint Lick Fort (1) | Pettit's Station | Polke's Station
Pott's Station | Pottinger's Station | Ray's Station | Reed's Station | Reese's Station
Rice's Station | Robertson's Station | Rogers' Station | Rose's Station | Round Spring Station
Fort St. Asaph | Sandusky's (Fort) Station (1) | G. Scott's Station | S. Scott's Station
Scrivner's Station | Shallow Ford Station | Shelby's Station | Smith's Station (2)
J. Smith's Station | Sodowsky's Station (1) | Camp Spalding | Spear's Station | Standing Fort
Stevenson's Station | John Tanner's Station (2) | Trigg's Station | Twitty's Fort | Viney Grove
Waddington's Fort | Warner's Station | T. Warren's Station | W. Warren's Station
Whitley's Station | D. Williams' Station | H. Wilson's Station (1) | J. Wilson's Station
Winslow's Station | J. Wood's Station | Worthington's Fort | Yocum's Station
Northern Kentucky - page 1 | North Central Kentucky - page 2
Eastern Kentucky - page 4 | Western Kentucky - page 5
KENTUCKY'S CIVIL WAR HERITAGE TRAIL
(1775), near Richmond
Also known as Little Fort. Consisted of three small crude log shelters protecting injured members, including Captian William Twitty, of a 30-man party marking the road to Fort Boonesborough, after an Indian attack on their camp. The group included Daniel Boone, Squire Boone, Felix Walker, among others. This was the first known American fortification in Kentucky. Site located five miles south of town at the head of Taylors Fork Silver Creek, marker on US 25 four miles south of town.
(1860's), Madison County
A Union camp. Undetermined location.
(1860's), Madison County ?
A Union camp said to be located 19 miles from Richmond (direction ?).
Fort Harrod (State Park)
(1775 - 1780's), Harrodsburg FORT WIKI
A 1927 reconstruction of the state's first permanent settlement at Harrodstown (1774). The original site at "Big Spring" was abandoned during Dunmore's War (1774), but rebuilt on higher ground in 1775 as Capt. James Harrod's Station (2) (marker at Lexington and Fort Streets). The village was fortified in 1776 with the houses forming part of its palisaded walls, with three blockhouses in the corners. Attacked in 1777. Admission fee. Fort Harrod Photos
(1860's), Mercer County
A Union camp. Undetermined location.
(1861), near Bloomfield
A Confederate training camp. A marker is ten miles east of Bardstown on US 62.
(1860's), Nelson County
A Union camp. Undetermined location.
Also in the area was Union Camp Morton (undetermined location).
Post at Lebanon
(1861 - 1865), Lebanon
A Union garrison post throughout the Civil War. Attacked and captured by the Confederates at least twice (July 1862 and July 1863).
Nearby were Union Camp Ben Spalding and Camp Crittenden (undetermined locations).
Camp Burnside (2)
(1860's), Lincoln County
A Union camp. Undetermined location, possibly north of Stanford.
William Whitley House (State Historic Site)
(1788), near Crab Orchard
A settlers' fortified brick house on the Dix (Dick's) River. House features musket loopholes, a barred cellar, and a hidden stairway. Admission fee.
Before the present house was built, Whitley's Station (1779) was located two miles west on Walnut Flat (Whitley) Creek near Walnut Flat. Whitley relocated in 1786, then built the brick house two years later.
Early Pioneer Stations and Forts
Bailey's Station (1) (1780), possibly on Bailey Run near Tyrone.
John Arnold's Station (1783), on the west-side of the Kentucky River near Clifton.
Samuel Hutton's Station (date ?), east of Ninevah.
Jacob Coffman's Station (date ?), near Lawrenceburg.
John Meaux's Station (1784), about two miles south of Salvisa on the west-side of US 127, near Vanarsdell. Marker at 592 Garriott Lane.
James McCoun's Station (1779 ?), a strong cabin (not stockaded) located near present-day Vanarsdell. The McCouns took shelter at James McAfee's Station in times of danger. The "Millwood" mansion was built here by McCoun in 1790. Marker at 493 Garriott Lane.
John Bunton's Station (2) (1780's), just east of Meaux's Station, on present-day McAfee Lane near Ebenezer.
James McAfee's Station (1779), near Talmage on the Salt River, west of McAfee. Attacked in May 1781, abandoned in 1785. Brother to William. The present stone house was later built in the 1790's northeast of the station site. The McAfee family cemetery is located 0.4 mile east of the station site, on Man O'War Drive.
Isaac Hite's Station (date ?), at Fountaine Bleau Spring, north of William McAfee's Station. Marker on KY 390 about 1.6 mile west of US 127.
David Williams' Station (1785), on Shawnee Run, about 0.9 mile north of McGary's Station.
Col. Hugh McGary's Station (1781), near Braxton, within 100 yards of Shawnee Springs on Shawnee Run. First settled in 1779. McGary moved to a new house in Harrodsburg in 1795 (at 123 South East Street).
James Ray's Station (1781), near Braxton, near McGary's Station. Ray was the stepson of Hugh McGary.
Thomas Denton's Station (1776 ?), just north of McGary's Station, east of Williams' Station. Marker at 986 Curry Pike (KY 1343).
Matthias Yocum's Station (date ?), on Shaker Creek near Shawnee Run Spring, southwest of Pleasant Hill. A stone house or barn still exists. Marker on US 68.
John McMurtry's Station (1781), north of Shakertown (Pleasant Hill). Marker at 4170 Lexington Road (US 68). The original log house is presumed to still exist within the present-day home.
William McAfee's Station (1780), one mile west of Harrodsburg, towards Judd Siding, at the mouth of the Town Fork Salt River. Brother to James. William was killed by Indians in 1781. Marker at 1060 Industry Road. The mansion "Round Ridge" was later built here in 1817 by Joseph Morgan.
Liberty Fort (1) (1779), also known as William McAfee's Upper Station. Possibly the same as above.
John Gordon's Station (2) (1780), north of Burgin near Shawnee Run Spring. Marker at 1490 Shakertown Road (KY 33). Shawnee Run Baptist Church was built on the land nearby in 1788.
Col. Stephen Trigg's Station (1780), north of Burgin, about one mile southwest of Shawnee Run Spring, between J. Gordon's Station (2) and J. Froman's Station. Also known as Viney Grove, John Gordon's Old Station (1) (1779), and John Haggin's Station (2). Trigg was killed in the August 1782 Battle of Blue Licks. Marker at 1305 Handy Road.
Jacob Froman's Station (date ?), west of Trigg's Station, northeast of Harrodsburg. Marker at 532 Bailey Pike. The original log house is presumed to still exist within the present-day home.
George Corn's Station (1780 ?), northeast of Burgin on a branch of Cane Run. Marker at 960 Shakertown Road (KY 33).
Lewis Rose's Station (1780 ?), on present-day West Main Street in Burgin.
Alexander Robertson's Station (1778), just east of Burgin on Cane Run. Marker on KY 152 near KY 33.
Col. Abram (Abraham) (or Col. John) Bowman's Station (1779), two miles east of Burgin on Cane Run. First settled in 1776. Abram and John were brothers. The station was large enough to accommodate 30 families. Marker on KY 152 near KY 33.
Azor Reese's Station (1784), located between Bowman's Station and Boiling Springs Station, on Cane Run south of Burgin. Also spelled Rice. Marker at 750 Buster Pike. The Cane Run Presbyterian Church was later built west of the station site.
John Bunton's Station (1) (1781), north of Faulconer at the county line. Bunton later moved north to the Kentucky River (see above). Marker at 1236 Buster Pike.
Smith's Station (2) (1784), north of Boiling Springs Station. Built by either George, Adam, or Zachariah Smith.
Gabriel Madison's Station (1780's), located between Reese's Station and Henry Wilson's Station (1), near Cove Spring at the county line. The "Battle of the Corn Cribs" was fought here in 1778.
Henry Wilson's Station (1) (1780 - 1790's), located on the Salt River northeast of Nevada, near the mouth of Dry Run. Marker at 627 Dry Branch Road. Site of the first Kentucky land court, and George May's surveying office.
Burnt Station (1) (1780), seven miles northeast of Bardstown on West Fork Simpson's Creek, about 2.5 miles southwest of Bloomfield, and about 4.5 miles east of Cox's Station. Originally known as Capt. William Kincheloe's Station until attacked and burned by Indians in 1782. Later known as Charles Polke's Station. Possibly also known as John Craig's Station (1). One contemporary source erroneously called it Winslow's Station.
Col. Isaac Cox's Station (1779), on Cox's Creek north of Bardstown. Possibly first settled in 1775. Described in 1784 as in near ruin.
Paul Froman's Station (1782), on the east side of Froman's Creek, north of Nazareth. State marker on US 31E erected in 2005. (info courtesy of Patricia Shaw McGee)
Ben Lynn's Station (1780), somewhere on the Beech Fork River.
Bardstown Station (1788), Bardstown.
Samuel Goodwin's Fort (a) (1780), near Boston, south of the Beech Fork River at the junction of KY 52 and Stillwell-Patton Road. Also spelled Goodin.
Col. James Rogers' Station (1780), four miles west of Bardstown on Cedar Creek near Cravens, near the present-day Cedar Creek Baptist Church.
Goodwin's Station (b) (1780), on the Rolling Fork River below the mouth of Pottinger Creek, near New Haven.
Capt. Samuel Pottinger's Station (1781), Gethsemane. First settled in 1780.
Ashe's Station (date ?), somewhere on the Salt River.
James Sandusky's (Fort) Station (1) (1776 - 1786), near Simstown on Pleasant Run. Also spelled Sodowsky. Marker located in Marion County on KY 1195. James' son Anthony remained here after 1786.
Samuel Cartwright's Station (1) (1779 - 1788), three miles north of Lebanon on Cartwright Creek. The settlers here were relocated to Pottinger's Station (see above) in 1788 due to lack of food.
Hardin's Station (2) (1781), on Hardins Creek northwest of Lebanon. Also known as Harlin's Station (mis-spelling ?).
Irish Station (2) (date ?), on the Dix River northeast of Danville. Probably did not actually exist.
William McBride's Station (date ?), east of Faulconer on the Dix River.
Boiling Springs (Fort) Station (1775), west of Faulconer on the headwaters of Mocks Branch, west of present-day US 127. Also known as Capt. James Harrod's Station (1).
Low Dutch Station (2) (1780), just west of Boiling Springs Station, within James Harrod's original land tract.
George Scott's Station (1780), located about six miles northwest of Danville.
McCoun's Station (2) (1780), on or near the Salt River near Atoka.
John Cowan's Station (date ?), Danville, east of Field's Station.
William Field's Station (1780), Danville, on Spears Creek 7000 feet northwest of the present-day county courthouse.
Stephen Fisher's Station (1780), east of Danville on the Dix River.
William Crow's Station (1780), Danville on the headwaters of Spears Creek. Brother to John.
John Crow's Station (1779), located four miles east of Danville. Brother to William.
Capt. Edward Worthington's Fort (1779), four miles southeast of Danville. Sometimes erroneously referred to as Waddington's Fort.
Irvin's Station (2) (1784), on the headwaters of the Salt River, south of Atoka. Also spelled Irvine.
Robert Caldwell's Station (1784), southwest of Danville.
Samuel Givens' Station (1780), one mile southwest of Danville on Clarks Run. Later renamed John Reed's Station.
George Clark's Station (1) (1779), southeast of Danville on Clark's Run. First settled in 1776.
Round Spring Station (date ?), near George Clark's Station (1).
John Dougherty's Station (1779), on Clark's Run, one and one-half miles (or four miles ?) southwest of Danville.
James Brown's Station (date ?), on Clark's Run about one mile west of James Wilson's Station.
James Wilson's Station (1785 ?), on Clarks Run at Balls Branch, southeast of Danville. Wilson Cemetery located at 3750 Lebanon Road (private property).
William Warren's Station (date ?), east of Junction City on the headwaters of Balls Branch.
Craig's Station (1) (1779 ?), two miles east of Danville.
Simon Kenton's Station (2) (1780's), on Quirks Run near Needmore.
James (or John) Harberson's (Fort) Station (1783), northwest of Perryville on Doctors Fork. The palisade enclosed a spring and a small cave.
Pott's Station (1784), on Doctors Fork northwest of Harberson's Station.
Major Silas Harlin's Station (1778), seven miles south of Harrodsburg on the Salt River. Also spelled Harlan. Harlin was killed at the Battle of Blue Licks (Aug. 1782).
McCormick's Station (1780), on Knoblick Creek south of Junction City.
Col. Isaac Shelby's Station (1780's), southeast of Junction City. Nearby at "Travellers' Rest" is the Isaac Shelby Cemetery State Historic Site.
Carpenter's Station (1) (1780), two and one-half miles west of Hustonville on Hanging Fork Creek. Built by brothers Adam, Conrad, and John.
William Montgomery's Station (1780), south of McKinney on the Green River, 12 miles from Logan's Fort. Montgomery was killed by Indians in 1780. The station was attacked again in February 1781.
Archibald McKinney's (Fort) Station (1792), McKinney, an early trading post on the Cumberland Trace. Four log cabins within a palisade, site located one-quarter mile southeast of McKinney Elementary School (private property).
Benjamin Pettit's Station (1779 ?), two and one-half miles southeast of Hustonville.
Col. Benjamin Logan's Fort (Station) (1777 - 1790), located one mile west of the present Stanford courthouse. It was 150 feet by 90 feet with blockhouses at three corners and a single cabin at the fourth corner. Three cabins each formed the north and south walls. A covered ditch ran to the spring. Nicknamed Standing Fort by Indians after they were unsuccessful in capturing or destroying it in May 1777. Over 100 people sought refuge here in 1780. Over time the name was simplified to "Stanford," giving the town its name. Also called Fort St. Asaph after the original name of the settlement, first settled in 1775. Marker at Water Street (Martin Luther King Street) and Danville Road. Monument (1915) located on top of hill past end of Water Street. Actual site beyond creek and former ice plant. In the summer of 2011 the fort was recreated on the original site near Buffalo Springs Cemetery. See also Little Bits of History Along U.S. Roadways
Col. William Casey's Station (1) (1780's), three miles west of Stanford on Hanging Fork Creek.
James Davis' Station (1) (1780), on Walnut Flat (Whitley) Creek near Whitley's Station.
Florer's Station (1) (date ?), one source places this on or near the Dix River several miles from Crab Orchard.
Henry Baughman's Station (1780), somewhere near Crab Orchard.
Boofman's Station (2) (1780's), somewhere near Crab Orchard, possibly the same as Baughman's Station.
Crab Orchard Station (1784), possibly the same site as Baughman's Station. Also known as Moore's Station (1).
Charles English's Station (1780), on the Dix River southeast of Crab Orchard.
Brigg's Station (date ?), undetermined location.
Knob Lick Station (date ?), undetermined location (on Knoblick Creek ?).
Owsley's Station (date ?), undetermined location.
Spear's Station (date ?), undetermined location (Spears Creek in Boyle Co. ?).
William Grant's Station (2) (1784), near Toddville, on the Kentucky River opposite Hickman Creek.
Samuel Scott's Station (date ?), on the Dix River near Davistown.
Dover Station (date ?), somewhere on the Dix River.
Downey's Station (1780), near Sugar Creek or White Oak Creek, on the trace to Paint Lick. Built by brothers James and John. Also spelled Downing.
James Smith's Station (1780), north of Lancaster on West Fork Sugar Creek.
Rev. Lewis Craig's Station (1) (1780), on Gilberts Creek about two miles southeast of Lancaster.
Gilbert Creek Station (1781), on Gilberts Creek. (same as above ?)
Zophar (Joseph) Carpenter's Station (1791), possibly on Walker Branch White Lick Creek southwest of Manse.
John Kennedy's Station (1779), possibly on a branch of White Lick Creek near Cartersville. Brother to Joseph. Attacked by Indians in 1792.
Paint Lick Fort (1) (1777 ?), Paint Lick, log fort and stockade built over a spring. Built by William Miller.
William Miller's Station (1) (1770's), near Paint Lick. Brother to John. (same as above ?)
Humphrey Best's Station (1780), on Paint Lick Creek south of Paint Lick, near Wallaceton. Also known as Canebreak Station.
Stevenson's Station (date ?), somewhere on Paint Lick Creek, possibly in Madison County. This may have been the same post listed in 1791 that was garrisoned by the KY state militia with 10 men.
Capt. James Estill's Station (1780), about three miles southeast of Richmond. Also called Estill's New Station. Attacked in March 1782, killing Estill. Estill's son continued the post afterwards. Also garrisoned by KY state militia in 1791 with 10 men.
Thomas Warren's Station (date ?), on Otter Creek about one mile from Estill's Station.
Col. William Irvine's Station (1778), north of Richmond on Otter Creek.
George Boone's Station (1781 ?), on Otter Creek, probably near Ford, 12 miles west of Log Lick.
(Stephen ?) Hancock's Station (date ?), 12 miles from Log Lick.
Warner's Station (date ?), somewhere on Otter Creek.
Locust Thicket Fort (1780), near Mud and Otter Creeks, five or six miles southeast of Richmond, within one mile of Twitty's Fort. This area is currently within the perimeter of the Blue Grass Army Depot.
Ashton's Station (1781), on Mud Creek, three miles southeast of Richmond. (same as Estill's Station ?)
Higgason Grubb's Station (1792), somewhere on Mud Creek.
John Wood's Station (date ?), somewhere on Drowning Creek.
Bell's Station (date ?), three miles from Paint Lick on the headwaters of Paint Lick Creek.
John Tanner's Station (2) (1787), six miles northwest of Richmond.
David Crew's Station (1781), six miles northwest of Richmond, one mile northwest of Foxtown.
William Hoy's Station (1781), about six miles northwest of Richmond.
Shallow Ford Station (1783), near Million, on Tate Creek at Shallow Ford Creek.
Joseph Kennedy's Station (1779), on Silver Creek, southwest of Richmond. Brother to John.
George Adams' Station (date ?), somewhere on the eastern side of Paint Lick Creek.
Locust Bend Station (date ?), somewhere on Silver Creek.
Scrivner's Station (date ?), undetermined location.
NEED MORE INFO: Camp Coffey (1860's) 19 miles (direction ?) from Richmond.
Fort Brook (creek) in Boyle County near Jacktown; Indian Fort Mountain in Madison County near Berea.
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com