Abenaki Fort |
Alstead Forts |
Amherst Garrisons |
Amherst Powder House |
Barrington Garrisons | Bedford Garrisons | Camp Belknap | Bellows' Garrison
Camp Berry | Butler's Garrison | Call Garrison | Canterbury Garrisons | Chester Garrisons
Camp Colby | Concord Garrisons | Concord Powder House | Fort Contoocook
Cromwell's Trade Post | Derry Garrisons | Fort Eddy | Epsom Blockhouse
Flagg's Garrison | Gault's Garrison | Gilmanton Garrisons | Great Meadows Fort
Haverhill Powder Magazine | Fort Hinsdale | Hinsdale Garrisons | Hinsdale Indian Fort
Hopkinton Garrisons | How's Fort | Hudson Garrisons | Irish Fort | Johnston's Garrison
Fort Keene | Camp Keyes | Longfellow Garrison | Lovewell's Fort | Lyndeborough Garrison
Manchester Garrisons | Milford Garrisons | Morse's Garrison | Nashua Garrisons
Newichawannock Blockhouse | North Haverhill Garrison | Northumberland Fort
Nottingham Blockhouse | Fort at No. 2 | Fort at No. 4 | Pembroke Garrisons
Penacook Fort (2) | Penecook Indian Fort (1) | Peterborough Fort | Camp Ramsdell
Rochester Garrisons | Camp Rockingham | Salem Garrisons | Salisbury Fort
Sanbornton Powder House | Fort Shattuck | Squamanagonic Blockhouse | Stark's Fort
Fort Stephens | Stratford Fort | Suncook Fort | Swanzey Garrisons
Waldron's Trade Post | Walpole Forts | Weirs Blockhouse | Fort Wentworth
Willard's Trade Post | Winchester Garrisons | Fort Winnipesaukee
Seacoast New Hampshire - page 1
(1768, 1775), Stratford
The first Indian trading post on the northern frontier was established here in 1768. Site is marked. A settlers' log fort was built nearby in 1775.
(1755, 1775 - 1778), near Groveton
A colonial miltia fort was ordered built here in 1755. In 1759 Roger's Rangers supposedly returned here after an expedition to St. Francis, Canada, but found no supplies or troops here at that time. There was a later work built here by the local militia during the American Revolution (Northumberland Fort ?). A stone monument marks the possible site of either fort near a cemetery near the junction of the Connecticut and Ammonoosuc Rivers.
Col. Charles Johnston's Garrison
(1750's, 1770's ?), Haverhill
A stockaded settlers' home, located north of the town common at Haverhill Corner. The house, later enlarged, was still extant in the 1910's. Site is marked by stone tablet. Possibly also stockaded in the American Revolution.
Another house in North Haverhill was also known to have been stockaded. In the 1910's the then-extant house was occupied by the Eastman family.
Haverhill Powder Magazine
(1812 - 1847), Haverhill
A state militia granite powder magazine was built here on Powder House Hill, and was guarded by militia troops during the War of 1812. The town took ownership of the magazine in 1847, was demolished after the Civil War and the stones used in the construction of vaults at the cemetery on Ladd Street.
Fort at Number 4
(1744 - 1760, 1777 - 1782), Charlestown
A reconstruction of the fortified settlement known as Number Four Township, located on the Connecticut River. Also known as Fort Stephens in 1747 after Lt. Phineas Stephens. Attacked by the French in 1747. The settlement was named Charlestown in 1753. Used again during the American Revolution, it served as a staging point for Patriots heading to Bennington, Vermont in 1777. See also Samuel Farnsworth: His Horn by Steve Ells
A log blockhouse was built on Prentice Hill near Alstead Center, and a circular stone fort was built on Cobb Hill near Alstead. They were never attacked.
Benjamin Bellows' Garrison
A large L-shaped log house, built in 1752, that was palisaded and armed with one gun. Another fort was built nearby along the Connecticut River to protect settlers going back and forth to North (Upper) Westminster, Vermont. This area was once Number Three Township.
John Kilbourn Garrison
(1749 - 1755), Walpole
A palisaded settlers' home located about one-third mile south of the Cold River. It was attacked in 1755. Site marked with granite monument.
(1730's, 1740's), Westmoreland
Great Meadows Fort (1730's), a square log blockhouse also known as Fort at Number Two Township. Also nearby was Daniel How's Fort (1740's).
(1736 or 1738 - 1747), Keene
A double-stockaded town fort that was 90 feet square, with 20 barracks and two wells. The town was attacked and burned by Indians in 1746. The settlers holed up in the fort for one year then abandoned the area, not returning until 1750 - 1752. Site located at 300 Main Street. The town was previously named Upper Ashuelot.
Swanzey Garrison Houses
(1738 - 1747), Swanzey
Capt. Nathaniel Hammond's Garrison was palisaded, as was John Evan's Garrison (1). There was also Meeting-House Hill Fort. The town was abandoned in 1747 after several Indian attacks.
Hinsdale Indian Fort
(unknown date), Hinsdale
An Indian fort was located on a hill by the Connecticut River, with a deep trench extending to the river.
Hinsdale Garrison Houses
(various dates), Hinsdale
Fort Hinsdale (1742) a blockhouse built on Ash Swamp Brook near Oak Hill to compliment Fort Dummer just across the river in Vermont. Also known as the Rev. Ebenezer Hinsdale Garrison (also spelled Hinsdell). Daniel Shattuck's Garrison (built 1736, fortified 1741 - 1748) (aka Fort Shattuck), was also located on Ash Swamp Brook. It was fortified by connecting it with a palisade to an identical structure on the other side of Ash Swamp Brook. John Evans' Garrison (2) (built 1741, fortified 1754) was located south of the Ashuelot River. Robert Cooper's Garrison (1737) was located near the Hinsdale Meeting House.
Winchester Garrison Houses
(1744 - 1745 or 1746), Winchester
The town was attacked by Indians in 1745 or 1746, then abandoned until 1753. Most of the settlers' homes were palisaded, including Josiah Willard's Fort and Alexander's Fort.
(1650's - 1676), Center Ossipee
An Abenaki one-acre log palisade built by British labor for protection against the Mohawks. It was destroyed by the colonial militia during King Philip's War. The site, owned by the Ossipee Historical Society, is at the Indian Mound Golf Club at Ossipee Lake.
Capt. John Lovewell's Fort
(1722 - 1725), Center Ossipee
A colonial militia fort. Possibly at the same site as above. Sometimes misspelled Lovell.
(1736), Weirs Beach
A 14-foot square log blockhouse. This area was once a part of Gilmanton.
(1722), East Alton
A colonial militia fort was proposed for Fort Point on Alton Bay. It was to be 100 feet square, with two or four 14-foot square blockhouses at the corners. It was probably never built, due to lack of funds.
(1746 - 1747), Sanbornton
A six-walled colonial militia fort west of Winnisquam and north of East Tilton, on the north shore of Little Bay. The fort's stone blocks were later removed to build a dam on the lake.
Sanbornton Powder House
(1809 - unknown), Sanbornton
A brick powder house was built by the town on a rocky ledge on land purchased from a man named Lovejoy.
Gilmanton Garrison Houses
(unknown dates), Gilmanton
Four garrison houses were built here, one at each corner of the settlement. A log blockhouses was built in 1736 known as White Hall.
NOTE: George Farley's Garrison (1665), located at 1246 Province Road on "Frisky Hill", was originally located in Billerica, Massachusetts (see also). It was dismantled in 2000 and relocated here by a private owner . Restoration was completed in 2010, it is still a private, albeit modern, home.
Philip Call's Garrison
A settlers' garrison house located at the "Lower Village". Site is marked.
A town fort for the old Stevenstown settlement. Franklin was once a part of the old Salisbury Township (first settled in 1750), as was Andover, Northfield, Tilton, and Sanbornton.
(1739 - 1750's), Boscawen
A 100-foot square log palisade that protected the old village of Contoocook. A supporting fort was built nearby in 1740. The fort was rebuilt or replaced with a larger fort in 1752. A stone marker is on Main Street.
Canterbury Garrison Houses
(1744 - 1748), near Canterbury Center
Capt. Jeremiah Clough's Fort, a colonial militia timber fort and supply depot, was located on a hill outside of town. There were several garrison houses or stockades in the area as late as 1758.
Hopkinton Garrison Houses
Aaron Kimball's Garrison was on Hopkinton Road at Jewett Road, east of town, granite marker at site. Putney's Garrison was built by Samuel and John Putney on Putney's Hill west of town, site marked by stone tablet on Putney's Hill Road. Aaron Kimball and Samuel Putney were captured by Indians here in 1753. David Woodwell's Garrison was located one-half mile east of Contoocook on NH 103, site marked at Woodwell's Garrison Road. Mount Lookout Sentinal Post (1744 - 1763) was on Gould Hill east of Woodwell's Garrison, site marked at Blaze Road and Watchtower Road.
Concord Garrison Houses
(various dates), Concord
A town fort named Irish Fort (1725 - 1726) (or Penacook Fort (2)) was at the old Penacook settlement, later renamed Rumford, then Concord in 1765. It was an outpost of Londonderry. The Massachusetts colonial militia took over the fort and tore it down, opening the area to Massachusetts settlers. A new blockhouse/meetinghouse was built in 1728. The MA/NH boundary was not determined until 1741. Other garrison houses included the Rev. Timothy Walker Garrison (built 1734, fortified 1739), Barachias Farnum's Fort (1739) (a protected mill on Turkey River), and after 1746 were also Capt. Ebenezer Eastman's Garrison, Henry Lovejoy's Garrison (a fortified grist mill in West Concord), Jonathan Eastman's Garrison in Millville, Lt. Jeremiah Stickney's Garrison, Joseph Hall's Garrison, Timothy Walker Jr.'s Garrison, George Abbot's Garrison, Edward Abbot's Garrison, James Osgood's Garrison, and Benjamin Abbot's Garrison.
Fort Eddy (unknown date) possibly a garrison house or stockade, probably located on or near present-day Fort Eddy Road and/or Fort Eddy Pond.
A Powder House (date ?) was once located on the "Powder House Lot".
Penecook Indian Fort (1)
(unknown date), East Concord
A Penecook Indian fort was located on the east bank of the Merrimack River, probably on Sugar Ball Bluff.
Waldron's Trading Post
(1667 - 1668), East Concord
A trading post for the Indian trade was located on the east side of the Merrimack River at or near the Penacook Indian village.
Concord Civil War Camps
(1861 - 1862), Concord Heights
Civil War training camps were Camp Belknap (1862), Camp Colby (1862), and Camp Berry (1861). Located at the "Concord Plains" on the east side of the Merrimack River.
(1898), Concord Heights
A Spanish-American War assembly camp for all state troops.
(1917 - 1919), Concord Heights
A National Guard training camp and mobilization center. This area is still currently the state military training area.
(1750's ?), Epsom Center
A town blockhouse near the site of Major Andrew McClary's homestead. Site is marked by monument.
(There is a "Fort Mountain" near New Rye.)
Rochester Garrison Houses
(various dates), Rochester
There were five blockhouses built in 1744 at town expense, three on the road to Norway Plains (unnamed), Squamanagonic Blockhouse at Squamanagonic (present-day Gonic), and Newichawannock Blockhouse at the Newichawannock River (Salmon Falls River). There were several other private garrison houses in the area.
Copp's Garrison, Goodwin's Garrison, Rawlins' Garrison, the Rev. Amos Main Garrison on Rochester Hill, and Richard Wentworth's Garrison were a few of the private garrison houses.
Barrington Garrison Houses
(various dates), East Barrington
Deacon William Cate's Garrison (unknown date) was located on Hardscrabble Hill near the town Meeting House. Capt. Mark Hunking's Garrison (1740's ?) was located near Winkley Pond.
(1727 - 1747), Nottingham
A town blockhouse on the North River. It was attacked by Indians in 1747 and the defenders killed. A stone marker (1936) is on NH 152.
(There is a "Fort Hill" northeast of town.)
Capt. Jonathan Longfellow's Garrison
A settlers' garrison house once located south of town. Site is marked.
Pembroke Garrison Houses
(various dates), Pembroke
James Moore's Garrison (built 1730, fortified later) was said to be the first framed house built in the area. Rev. Aaron Whittemore's Garrison (1737 ?) was located south of the cemetery on Pembroke Street.
(1747, 1753), Suncook
A colonial militia fort built for the protection of the area settlers. There was a 26-man garrison here in 1753.
Samuel Gault's Garrison
A settlers' garrison house.
Lt. Archibald Stark's Fort
(1746 - 1748), Manchester
A 125-foot square stockaded fort and blockhouse located on Baker Brook, on the northwest side of Nutt's Pond, in present-day Precourt Park. Built for the protection of the settlers of both Goff's Falls (Moore's Settlement) and Amoskeag Falls (Manchester). Site was marked in 1929.
Foster's Garrison (1746) was located near Amoskeag Falls.
Bedford Garrison Houses
(unknown dates), Bedford
Located here were Capt. John Goffe's Garrison (1745) opposite Cohas Brook at Goff's Falls, Robert Walker's Garrison, and two other unnamed garrison houses. Bedford was originally known as Souhegan.
Cromwell's Trading Post
(1665 - unknown), Merrimack
A trading post for the Indian trade. The Penecook Indian village Naticook was here.
Chester Garrison Houses
(various dates), Chester
Benjamin Hills' Garrison (unknown date and location), and Major John Tolford's Garrison (1724) on Walnut Hill Road, torn down in 1883.
Derry Garrison Houses
Located in Derry Village and East Derry, which was once a part of old Londonderry Township, were Capt. James Gregg's Garrison, Samuel Barr's Garrison, and a few other garrison houses. A blockhouse was built next to the East Parish parsonage.
Peter Morse's Garrison
A settlers' garrison house near Beaver Brook.
Salem Garrison Houses
(unknown dates), Salem
Daniel Peaslee's Garrison was at the base of Spicket Hill. Capt. Ebenezer Ayer's Garrison was on the north-side of World's End Pond.
A temporary National Guard mobilization encampment near the city.
John Butler's Garrison
A settlers' garrison house located east of Gumpas Pond on Mammoth Road (NH 128).
Hudson Garrison Houses
(various dates), Hudson
Hills' Garrison (1710) built by either Nathaniel Hills or Henry Hills. Site marked with stone monument. Joseph Blodgett's Garrison (1710's) was located about 2.5 miles south of the mouth of the Nashua River. Site marked with stone monument. John Taylor's Garrison was between Derry Road (NH 102) and Litchfield Road (NH 3A), about one-half mile south of the Hills Garrison. Capt. Robert Fletcher's Garrison (unknown date) once stood at the state line along the Merrimack River. Hudson and Pelham were known as Nottingham West in 1733, previously part of Dunstable (Nashua).
Simon Willard's Trading Post
(1653 - unknown), Nashua
A trading post for the Indian trade. The Penecook Indian village Wataunick was here.
Nashua Garrison Houses
(unknown dates), Nashua
The Cummings Garrison was located east of the Daniel Webster Highway and south of Split Brook. The Galusha Garrison was east of the railroad at the state line. The Harwood Garrison was south of (?) Brook along the Merrimack River. The Thomas Lund Garrison was east of the Daniel Webster Highway on the north-side of (?) Brook. The Queens Garrison was on Bowers Street. The John Solendine Garrison was near the Lund Garrison, possibly near Salmon Brook. The Rev. Thomas Weld Garrison was in South Nashua. The Whiting Garrison was on Robinson Road east of Salmon Brook. Nashua was originally known as Dunstable. The town was attacked by Indians in 1702.
Eleazer Flagg's Garrison
(1740's), West Hollis
A settlers' garrison house built in 1732, later fortified.
Milford Garrison Houses
William Peabody's Garrison was located on the north-side of the Souhegan River (possibly located in Amherst), and William Colburn's Garrison was located in East Milford north of Long Pond. Milford was originally known as Monson.
Amherst Garrison Houses
There were seven garrison houses recorded in this area during 1753, as well as a town blockhouse. The town was never attacked by Indians. Amherst was originally known as Souhegan West.
A colonial hewn-log Powder House (1774 - 1845) was once located on the east side of the burying ground behind the 1823 county courthouse on Main Street.
A town garrison or blockhouse was here for the protection of the settlers of Salem-Canada, the original name of the settlement.
A town fort or blockhouse was probably built here, garrisoned by 15 to 20 men, to protect the then-frontier settlement. The town was attacked by Indians in 1750, with the fort built afterwards.
NEED MORE INFO: Fort Mountain near New Rye in Epsom, Fort Hill in Nottingham.
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com