Fort Adams |
Brenton Point Res. |
Fort Burnside |
Fort Church |
Battery at Dutch Island
Fort Getty | Fort Greble | Fort Greene (1) | Fort Nathaniel Greene (2) | Fort Hamilton
Howland's Ferry Battery (2) | Fort Kearny | Newport Gun House | Camp Palmer
Point Judith Res. | Price's Neck Firing Range | Sachuest Point Battery | Sakonnet Point Res.
Fort Varnum | Fort Washington | Fort Wetherill | Fort Wolcott
Rhode Island Mainland - page 1 | Narragansett Bay I - page 2
Howland's Ferry Battery (2)
A Federal work covering Howland's Ferry to Tiverton and the ship passage through to Mount Hope Bay.
Rose Island Lighthouse
(1798 - 1811 ?), Rose Island
Built on the site of Rose Island Fort (see page 2). Construction of the new American four-bastioned 60-gun fort was never completed by the time of the War of 1812. The present lighthouse was built in 1869 on the fort's southwest bastion. Beginning in 1883, the old fort was used as a storage area for explosives and torpedoes for the U.S. Navy. A few old naval ammo bunkers still remain. Additional magazines and barracks were built after World War I. Anti-aircraft defenses were emplaced in WWII. The Navy left in the 1950's. The University of Rhode Island took over the island in 1976 for maritime research, but could not maintain the property. The island became a city park in 1984. Most of the island is off-limits to the public, however the lighthouse is open for tours. Restoration efforts have been proposed for the remaining northwest bastion and the brick nine-room barracks. See also Rose Island Lighthouse from Lighthouse Friends.com
(1794, 1798 - 1836), Goat Island
Previously known as Fort George / Liberty / Washington (see page 2). Rebuilt in 1794 and 1798 with 38 guns (28 guns in 1818) and repaired in 1808. The fort was renamed in 1798 and was used until 1836. Transferred to the U.S. Navy in 1869 as a naval torpedo station until 1951. Most of the buildings were demolished in the 1960's. Now a developed area. The present Goat Island Lighthouse at the north tip of the island was built in 1842, replacing an earlier 1823 tower.
Fort Greene (1)
(1798 - 1810 ?), Newport
An unnamed Patriot breastwork was once here in 1776 (Newport Battery) (see page 2). It was rebuilt as an elliptical stone 12-gun battery in 1798, reported in ruins by 1811. Located on Eaton's Point at Battery Park, across from Fort Wolcott, at Washington and Battery Streets. A city park since 1891.
(Not to be confused with Fort Nathaniel Greene (2) in Point Judith)
A Gun House (1808) may have been built somewhere in the city to store several cannon on traveling carriages, for use here or at Fort Adams.
¤ HARBOR DEFENSES of NARRAGANSETT BAY
¤ Fort Church
(1940 - 1948), Sakonnet
Originally known as Sakonnet Point Military Reservation. This post is in three separate sections. The West Reservation (present-day Sakonnet Golf Club) had Battery Gray / 107 (1942 - 1948), now partially covered. Private property. The East Reservation had Battery Reilly (1942 - 1947), which is buried. The South Reservation has Battery 212 (1943 - 1948), built on and partially destroyed, and two Panama mounts for 155mm guns (1942 - 1943), which may still remain buried. Private property. A fire-control station was once located near the Warren Point Beach Club (demolished 1970).
¤ Sachuest Point Battery
(Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge)
(1917 - 1919), Sachuest
Located at the mouth of the Sakonnet River. It was armed with two 4.72-inch guns from Fort Adams. One of these guns is now on display at Equality Park on Broadway in Newport and the other is at Fort Moultrie in South Carolina. In WWII a Navy radio station, three Coast Artillery fire-control towers, and a radar tower were located here. Nothing remains. Became a wildlife refuge in 1970.
¤ Brenton Point Military Reservation
(Brenton Point State Park)
(1941 - 1946), Newport
Located here was an unnamed battery of four 155mm guns on Panama mounts (1942 - 1943), which is mostly destroyed (one mount left), and Anti Motor Torpedo Boat Battery 923 (1943) mounts removed in 1989. Two radar sites were also here.
¤ Fort Adams (State Park)
(1793/1824 - 1946), Newport FORT WIKI
Fort Adams was built on the site of an earlier Patriot and French fort from 1780 (see page 2). Rebuilt in 1798 with 17 guns, and repaired in 1808. It was named in 1799. The current structure was built beginning in 1824. The Outer Redoubt was built in 1825. An exterior 10-gun Water Battery was built in 1874 - 1876. An unnamed battery from 1898 was built on one of the platforms, using an M1888 8-inch BL gun on a modified 15-inch Rodman carriage. Also still emplaced on the battery in 1898 were three 15-inch and four 8-inch rifled Rodman guns. Battery Bankhead was later built over the Water Battery. Endicott batteries on the west side of the old fort include Battery Belton (1907 - 1925), Battery Bankhead (1907 - 1913), Battery Reilly (1899 - 1917), and Battery Talbot (1899 - 1917). One gun of this battery is on display in Equality Park downtown. On the south side of the old fort are two mortar batteries, Battery Edgerton (1898 - 1943), and Battery Greene (1898 - 1943), which was renamed Battery Gilmore in 1940. During WWII an HDCP and an AA battery were located on post, as well as several mobile 90mm guns. See also PHOTOS from Galen Frysinger
¤ Fort Wetherill (State Park)
(1896 - 1946), Jamestown
Located across the channel from Fort Adams. It replaced Fort Dumplings (see page 2). It was given its current name in 1900. Endicott batteries here are Battery Wheaton (1908 - 1945), Battery Varnum (1901 - 1943), Battery Dickenson (1908 - 1947) modified in WWII, Battery Zook (1908 - 1918), Battery Crittenden (1908 - 1946), Battery Cooke (1901 - 1920), Battery Walbach (1908 - 1942), and Anti Motor Torpedo Boat Battery 924 (1943) unfinished, which was previously an AA battery (1920's). A double mine observation station (collapsed/burned 1996) was located at the site of the old Dumplings Tower. Anti-submarine nets went across the harbor to Fort Adams from here. Several fire-control towers remain nearby. Became a state park in 1972.
¤ Fort Burnside
(Beavertail State Park)
(Beavertail Lighthouse Museum Association)
(1940 - 1948), near Clarks Village, Jamestown
Located south of Fort Getty, across the channel from Brenton Point. Batteries here are Battery 213 (1943 - 1948), and New Battery Whiting (AMTB #5) (1942 - 1946). Battery 110 was to be built here. There are two mine casemates at Hull Cove, buried and built on. The nearby present Beavertail Lighthouse was built in 1856, replacing the earlier 1754 tower.
¤ Fort Getty (Town Park/Campground)
(1900 - 1946), Jamestown
Located on Fox Hill on the southwestern side of Conanicut Island at the site of Beaver Head Fort (see page 2). Batteries here were Battery Tousard (1910 - 1942) partially buried, Battery House (1910 - 1942) mostly buried, Battery Whiting (1910 - 1942), and Anti Motor Torpedo Boat Battery 922 (1943 - 1946), which is partially buried. Became a park in 1955.
¤ Fort Greble
(Dutch Island State Wildlife Management Area)
(1863 - 1946), Dutch Island
Dutch Island may have been fortified since 1830. A Third-System work was planned here but was never built. During the Civil War, there was the eight-gun Upper Battery (modified in 1869) (two platforms still extant) and the 11-gun Lower Battery (still extant). The 30-gun Battery at Dutch Island (actually three batteries forming a circle) was built in 1872 - 1876, but was never completed. Only four gun platforms and magazines were ever built. An unnamed battery (one 6-inch Armstrong) was here in 1898. They were demolished in 1898 to built Batteries Mitchell and Hale. Endicott batteries here are Battery Sedgwick (1901 - 1942), Battery Hale (1898 - 1942), Battery Mitchell (1905 - 1917), and Battery Ogden (1900 - 1920). An AA battery (1925) is adjacent to Battery Mitchell. A WWI era concrete fresh-water cistern collapsed in 2000, forcing the island's closure to the public for several years. The Dutch Island Lighthouse was built in 1856, replacing an earlier 1826 tower.
¤ Fort Kearny
(U.R.I. Graduate School of Oceanography)
(1899 - 1946), Saunderstown
Replaced Bonnet Point Fort (see page 2). It was named in 1905. It was the ferry and supply terminal for Forts Greble and Getty. It is now the site of the University of Rhode Island Graduate School of Oceanography. Batteries here are Battery French (1908 - 1917), which is built on, Battery Cram (1908 - 1943), and Battery Armistead (1908 - 1942), which is also built on. Guided walking tours are offered on occasion each summer.
¤ Fort Varnum
(1941 - 1947, 1958 - present ?), Boston Neck
Located in between Fort Kearny and Fort Greene (2) and situated opposite the channel of Fort Burnside. Batteries here are New Battery House (1942 - 1947), New Battery Armistead (1942 - 1946), and Anti Motor Torpedo Boat Battery 921 (1943 - 1946). Four observation towers remain here. The reservation is still currently used by the Rhode Island National Guard.
¤ Fort Nathaniel Greene (2)
(Fisherman's Memorial State Park)
(1934 - 1948/present), Point Judith
Originally named Point Judith Reservation until 1941. Fort Greene is divided into three separate sections. The East Reservation has Battery Hamilton / 108 (1943 - 1948). The RI National Guard still uses this location. The West Reservation has Battery 109 (1944), and an unnamed four-gun 155mm battery on Panama mounts that are mostly buried in a housing development. The state park is on this portion. The park's office uses a former fire-control tower. The South Reservation has Battery 211 (1945 - 1948) at the water's edge, and is a Narragansett town park. Several observation towers were near this battery. Observation stations that were built here for World War II, instead of being the usual military design, were built to resemble typical New England style beach houses.
(Not to be confused with Fort Greene (1) in Newport)
¤ ALSO: Additional fire-control stations for the Newport Defenses were located at Prospect Hill (six remain), Green Hill (gone), Charlestown Beach (one still remains), Weekapaug Point (gone), Watch Hill Point (gone), Block Island (four remain), Gay Head on Martha's Vineyard, Mass. (one remains), Cuttyhunk Island, Mass. (three remain), and at Gooseberry Point, Mass. (two remain).
Some information provided by Alex Holder of the Coast Defense Study Group, and also by John Duchesneau of the Fort Adams Trust.
(1918 - 1919), Coasters Harbor Island, Newport
A WWI Naval recruit training camp once located on the northern end of the island, where the present-day Surface Warfare Officers School is today, part of Naval Station Newport.
The U.S. Naval War College was established here in 1884. The Naval War College Museum is located in Founders Hall. Public access through Gate 1 at Naval Station Newport.
Price's Neck Firing Range
(1942 - 1945), Newport
A WWII Naval Anti-Aircraft Gunnery Training Center for 40mm and 3-inch AA guns was located on Price's Neck along the southern shore of the city, off of Ocean Avenue. Concrete remnants of the firing line still remain.
Rhode Island Mainland - page 1 | Narragansett Bay I - page 2
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
Updates @ NorthAmericanForts.com