Camp Anderson (2) |
Fort Anderson |
Camp Armstrong |
Fort Baker (1) |
Camp Bidwell (1)
Camp Bidwell (2) | Fort Bidwell | Boyle's Camp | Camp at Boynton's Prairie | Camp Bragg
Fort Bragg | Fort Bragg Radar Station | Camp at Burnt Ranch | Camp near Butte Creek
Camp at Callahan's Ranch | Camp on Canoe Creek | Camp Cap-Ell
Cape Mendocino Radar Station | Camp Cass | Fort Cass | Camp Chico | Chico Post
Camp Colus | Colusa Post | Camp at Crescent City | Fort Crook | Camp Curtis
Daby's Ferry Post | Fort Defiance (3) | Fort Denny | Fort Dick | Camp Dragoon Bridge
Camp on Eel River | Camp at Elk Camp | Cantonment (Camp) Far West | Fort Far West
Camp Feliz | Camp at Fork of Salmon River | Camp Gaston (2) | Fort Gaston (1)
Gen. Gillem's Camp | Camp Gilmore (2) | Fort Goff | Gold Bluffs Post | Camp at Goose Lake
Camp Grant | Gualala Radar Station | Hastings' Barracks | Camp at Hay Fork
Camp Hollenbush | Fort Hooper | Camp Hot Creek Station | Camp Howard (1)
Fort Humboldt | Camp Iaqua | Fort Iaqua | Capt. Jack's Stronghold | Camp on Janes' Farm
Fort Janesville | Camp Jaqua | Camp Johns | Fort Jones (2) | Camp Klamath
Klamath River Radar Station | Camp in the Lava Beds | Lighthouse Point Post | Camp Lincoln
Fort Lincoln | Lincoln's Fort | Camp Lippett | Fort Liscom | Camp at Liscombe's Hill
Lockhart's Fort | Camp Long | Long's Fort | Camp Lu-pi-yu-ma | Camp Lyon (2) | Fort Lyon
Camp Mackall | Camp McDowell | Camp at Martin's Ferry | Camp Mattole | Camp Mettah
Newkirk's Mill Post | Camp at Nome Cult Agency | Camp Nome Lackee
Post at Nome Lackee Agency | Oak Camp | Camp Olney | Camp in Onion Valley
Orleans Bar Post | Camp at Pardee's Ranch | Peninsula Camp | Camp at Pierson's Ranch
Point Arena Radar Station | Camp Pollock | Fort Reading | Camp at Red Bluff
Camp Redwood | Reed's Ranch Post | Roop's Fort | Round Valley Post
Camp on Russian River | Camp on Sacramento River | Scorpion Point Camp | Fort Seward
Fort Shasta | Camp Soldier's Grove | Camp Strowbridge | New Supply Camp
Old Supply Camp | Surprise Valley Post | Camp Susan | Camp Swasey | Camp Taylor
Fort Ter-Waw | Trinidad Camp | Fort Vose | Camp Waite | Fort Weller | Camp Whistler
Fort Wool | Camp Worth | Camp Wright (3) | Fort Wright | Camp at Yeagher Creek Crossing
Central California - page 2 | San Francisco Bay Area - page 3
Sonoma-Marin Headlands - page 4 | Southern California I - page 5
Southern California II - page 6
CALIFORNIA STATE MILITARY MUSEUM
FORT WIKI - CALIFORNIA
(1863 or 1865 - 1893), Fort Bidwell
Originally known as Surprise Valley Post, possibly established as early as 1863. A base camp for operations against the Bannock, Paiute, Snake, and Modoc tribes. It was abandoned in early 1865, but re-established on a new site nearby in July 1865, officially known as Camp Bidwell (2) until 1879, although it was also referred to as a fort during that time. The Bureau of Indian Affairs took over the fort in 1897, and it is currently used as the tribal headquarters for the Fort Bidwell Indian Reservation. The barracks were torn down in the 1930's after the Indian school was discontinued in 1930. The Officers' quarters still stand near the post cemetery.
Camp at Goose Lake
(1866), near Fort Bidwell
A temporary encampment of the Sacramento Rangers. Goose Lake was originally called Pitt's Lake.
Captain Jack's Stronghold
(Lava Beds National Monument)
(1872 - 1873), near Newell
Kintpuash, aka Captain Jack, the Modoc Indian leader, and his followers took refuge here (in present-day Modoc County) and held the Army at bay for five months. The Army base camp, Camp in the Lava Beds or Gen. Alvin Gillem's Camp was located across the present-day county line in Siskiyou County, near the south shore of Tule Lake.
Located near Newell were New Supply Camp (aka Major William Boyle's Camp and Peninsula Camp); and Old Supply Camp (aka Scorpion Point Camp), about 5.5 miles south of town.
(1857 - 1869), near Glenburn
An Army post located on the north bank of the Fall River one and one-half miles south of town. Originally known as Camp Hollenbush. Became a subpost of Fort Bidwell in 1866. The Fort Crook Museum in town has exhibits and a restored log cabin from the fort, which was located seven miles north of the museum. Operated by the Fort Crook Historical Society.
Sam Lockhart's Fort
(1856), Fall River Mills
A settlers' fort. Withstood a five-day seige by Indians.
(1859), near Fall River Mills
A temporary Army encampment located eight miles southeast of Fort Crook.
Camp on Canoe Creek
(1855), near Fall River Mills
A temporary Army camp located on Canoe (Hat) Creek about six miles from its confluence with the Pit River, south of town. A party of Topographical Engineers were surveying for a proposed railroad route.
(thanks to Wendy Baker for providing info)
Camp Hot Creek Station
(1862), Old Station ?
Located 35 miles southwest of Fort Crook on Hat Creek. A stage station briefly occupied by the Army. Although on "Hat" Creek, it was misspelled "Hot" on an 1855 Army map, hence the "official" error.
(1864), Lassen County
A temporary camp for the NV Volunteers, somewhere east of Red Rock along the state border. Site originally believed to be in Nevada during the border dispute. It replaced Camp Smoke Creek, NV.
Fort Defiance (3)
(1854 - 1864), Susanville
A log trading post, also called Isaac Roop's Fort, originally built in 1853 and modified into a fortified blockhouse in June 1854. It was defended by 100 men in February 1863 in the so-called "Sagebrush War", fought between local settlers and the Plumas County sheriff and tax officials to determine the California - Nevada boundary. The town (originally named Rooptown until 1857 and renamed for Roop's daughter Susan) was subsequently placed within the newly resurveyed California boundary as a result. The structure is the oldest building in town, located on Weatherlow Street, now home to the William H. Pratt Memorial Museum.
A temporary post for cavalry troops from Nevada, located adjacent to Roop's Fort.
A temporary post for Nevada infantry troops from Fort Churchill.
A civilian loop-holed log stockade with one blockhouse, built after the Battle of Pyramid Lake (May 1860). Now a state historical landmark.
Camp Dragoon Bridge
(1860 - 1863, intermittent), near Litchfield
A Federal encampment located one-half mile south of town to protect the Susan River bridge to the Honey Lake Valley.
(1850's ?), Shasta or Shasta Lake
Probably a civilian defense.
(1843), near Shasta ?
Supposedly this was a settlers' fort of huge pine logs built by Landsford W. Hastings and sixteen companions in 1843. It was located at the base of the hill on the north side of the small valley opposite Lower Soda Springs in the Shasta Valley.
(1852 - 1856, 1866 - 1867/1870), near Anderson
An Army adobe post on the west side of Cow Creek, about two and one-half miles from the Sacramento River, six miles northeast of town, and about ten miles southeast of Redding. A caretaker held the post until 1870. Although abandoned, the reservation was not sold off until 1881. State marker
(1859), Red Bluff
A temporary Army encampment at an already established (1858 ?) American Fur Company post. The fur post may have possibly been known as Fort Cass (?).
Camp at Red Bluff
(1862), Red Bluff
A temporary post of the CA Cavalry.
(1865 - 1866), near Red Bluff
A temporary winter encampment located on Antelope Creek southeast of town.
Post at Nome Lackee Agency
(1855 - 1858/1861 ?), near Flournoy
A Federal post at the Nome Lackee Indian Agency, located on Thomas Creek about 16 miles west of Corning. Also known as Camp Nome Lackee. Renamed Fort Vose at some point. An adobe 100-foot square compound with 10-foot high walls. The remains were still in evidence in 1948. The agency was replaced by the Round Valley Indian Agency in 1861.
Camp Bidwell (1)
(1863 - 1865), Chico
An Army cavalry and infantry post. Originally called Camp Chico or Chico Post. Abandoned in May 1865.
Camp near Butte Creek
(1856), near Chico
A temporary Army camp. Exact location undetermined.
(1851), Colusa County
A temporary camp used for signing a peace treaty with the Indians. Located on the Sacramento River. Also known as Camp on Sacramento River.
(1864 ? - 1865), Colusa
A temporary post for the CA Volunteer Cavalry, established in the winter of 1864-65 (December or January)
Camp at Pierson's Ranch
(1865), near Colusa ?
A temporary encampment.
Fort Far West
(1849 - 1852), near Wheatland
Built to protect the newly established gold mines, but the troops kept deserting. Known as Cantonment (or Camp) Far West until 1851. Located east of town on Bear Creek. Site marked by monument and stone-walled pioneer cemetery.
Camp in Onion Valley
(1860), near Downieville
A temporary camp located north of town, about 84 miles upriver from Marysville.
(1851), Lake County
A temporary camp used for signing a peace treaty with the Indians. Located near Clear Lake.
Camp Fernando Feliz
(1851), near Hopland
A temporary camp used for signing a peace treaty with the Indians. Located on the Russian River. Also known as Camp on Russian River.
Camp Howard (1)
A temporary Army encampment lasting two weeks.
(1859), near Redwood Valley
A Federal post on the east bank of the Russian River, about seven miles north of Calpella, within the former Mendocino Indian Reservation in the Redwood Valley. The post was originally planned to be built on the Nome Cult Indian Reservation, but transportation problems forced the site here.
Point Arena Radar Station
(1942 - 1945), near Point Arena
A WWII early warning anti-aircraft radar station (SCR-516), one of 65 stations built along the Pacific Coast. Also known as Station J-75. Also listed as Gualala Radar Station in some sources. Nearby on Lighthouse Road is the Point Arena Lighthouse and Museum (originally built in 1870, rebuilt in 1908).
(1857 - 1864), Fort Bragg
An Army post built to control the Mendocino Indian Reservation. Although named after a Southern officer, the name was retained during the Civil War. The reservation closed in 1866 and was opened for white settlement a few years later. The Quartermaster Storehouse still remains, located at 430 North Franklin Street. See also History of Fort Bragg from City of Fort Bragg || State marker
Fort Bragg Radar Station
(1942 - 1945), near Fort Bragg
A WWII early warning anti-aircraft radar station (SCR-271), one of 65 stations built along the Pacific Coast. Also known as Station B-74. Possibly located on Bald Hill just northeast of town.
Camp Wright (3)
(1858 - 1861, 1862 - 1866, 1869 - 1875, 1887), Covelo
A Federal post at the Round Valley (Nome Cult) Indian Reservation. Originally known as Camp at Nome Cult Indian Agency. Abandoned then re-established in 1862, renamed Fort Wright until 1866. Log structures were built in 1863-64. Adobe barracks were built in 1869. Located one and one-half miles northwest of town, about one mile from the Indian Agency.
(1857 - 1858), Round Valley
A temporary Dragoon post on Cash Creek.
Round Valley Post
(1892), Round Valley
A temporary Federal infantry and cavalry post.
(1861 - 1863 ?), Fort Seward
An Army post also known as Camp on Eel River. Originally intended to replace Fort Humboldt, the garrison was ordered to withdraw back to that post in April 1862. (NOTE: Conflicting reports of the date of final abandonment: 1862, 1863, or 1866).
(1863 - 1865), near Weott
A CA Mountaineer post on the Eel River, three miles east of Dyerville.
(1862), near Honeydew ?
A temporary CA Volunteer post located on the upper Mattole River, about 40 miles south of Fort Humboldt.
(1864), near Honeydew
A temporary CA Mountaineer post located 24 miles west of Weott, presumably on the Mattole River.
Cape Mendocino Radar Station
(1942 - 1944), near Petrolia ? or Capetown ?
A WWII early warning anti-aircraft radar station (SCR-270), one of 65 stations built along the Pacific Coast. This was probably known as either Station B-72 or B-73. It was no longer in operation after July 1944. Undetermined location, somewhere near the mouth of the Mattole River.
An Air Force Gap Filler Annex radar station (Z-33A) was located at Capetown from 1946 - 1967.
Located near Carlotta. A temporary post on the Van Dusen River near Yeagher Creek.
Camp at Yeagher Creek Crossing
(1862), near Hydesville
A temporary post. Also spelled Yager or Yeager in some sources.
A temporary post for the CA Volunteers.
Fort Baker (1)
(1862 - 1863), near Bridgeville
A temporary CA Volunteer camp for Indian prisoners, located northeast of town on the west (north) bank of the Van Dusen River (site about 23 miles east of Hydesville). Replaced by Camp Iaqua. Abandoned by December 1863, it was apparently burned down by either Indians or Confederate sympathizers in May 1864.
Camp at Hay Fork
(1864), Hay Fork
A short-lived post established to protect local miners.
Camp Soldier's Grove
(1864), near Hyampom
A temporary post located 18 miles from town.
(1863 - 1866), near Kneeland
A post on Iaqua (Yeagher) Creek, about 18 miles east of the mouth of the Eel River, on the military road between Fort Humboldt and Fort Gaston. Also known as Camp Iaqua. Also spelled Jaqua.
Camp Lyon (2)
(1862), near Kneeland
A temporary CA Volunteer Infantry post located at Brehmer's Ranch on the Mad River, about 20 miles southeast of Arcata. Sometimes referred to as Fort Lyon in official documents.
Reed's Ranch Post
(1862), near Freshwater ?
A detachment post located somewhere southeast of Fort Humboldt.
Fort Humboldt (State Historic Park)
(1853 - 1867), Eureka
A Federal post located in Bucksport, it was built to protect area settlers and to serve as a supply depot for other regional posts. Became a subdepot of Fort Gaston in 1866, then abandoned. Only the post hospital (original) and surgeon's quarters (reconstructed) remain of the original 14 buildings. Display panels with historic info are also located at the nearby Bayshore Mall. State marker
Lasting for only two months (January-February), it consisted entirely of rented buildings in Bucksport to help alleviate the inadequacies at Fort Humboldt. Garrisoned by the CA Volunteer Infantry.
Camp at Boynton's Prairie
(1864), near Eureka
A temporary post established by CA Infantry and Mounted Cavalry, located east of town.
Lighthouse Point Post
(1864, 1865), near Samoa
A temporary Indian detainment camp, a subpost of Fort Humboldt.
A temporary Indian detainment camp, five miles from Lighthouse Point.
(1862 - 1865), Arcata
The headquarters of the CA Mountaineers, located one mile north of town. Originally called Camp on Janes' Farm. State marker
Daby's Ferry Post
(1862), near Arcata
A temporary CA Mountaineer encampment located on the Mad River three miles from town.
(1862 - 1865 ?), Blue Lake
Also called Camp at Liscombe's Hill. A log cabin post occupied by a small group of CA Volunteers. Located at the Bates Ranch, which became Scottsville after the Civil War, later merging with Blue Lake.
A temporary garrison post replaced by Camp Gilmore (2).
Camp Gilmore (2)
(1863 - 1864), near Trinidad
Built to protect the mail route. Located four miles north of town.
(1862), Humboldt County
Located on the Old Coastal Trail, about midway between Trinidad and Elk Camp, about ten miles southwest of Camp Cap-Ell.
(1862, 1864 - 1866), Humboldt County
A temporary CA Volunteer Infantry post located on Redwood Creek, about 16 miles northeast of Blue Lake, and less than one mile north of "Minor's Crossing" of Redwood Creek. Re-established as Camp Anderson (2) in 1864 by the CA Mountaineers.
(1863, 1864), Humboldt County
A temporary post located on the Klamath Trail, on or near Redwood Creek, about three miles north of Camp Anderson (2).
(thanks to Wendy Baker for providing location)
Camp at Pardee's Ranch
(1858 - 1865 ?, intermittent), near Blue Lake
A CA Volunteer post located on the Trinity Trail between Eureka and the Trinity River, somewhere near Camp Anderson (2).
Camp at Burnt Ranch
(1864), Burnt Ranch
A temporary post located about 30 miles above (south of) Hoopa on the Trinity River.
Fort Gaston (1)
(Hoopa Valley Tribal Museum)
(1858 - 1892), near Hoopa
A Federal post located in the Hoopa Valley on the west bank of the Trinity River. Known as Camp Gaston (2) from 1867 - 1879. The Officers' quarters around the parade ground are now used by the Hoopa Valley Indian Reservation.
Newkirk's Mill Post
(1864), near Hoopa ?
A short-lived CA Volunteer detachment post located somewhere near Fort Gaston (1).
Camp at Elk Camp
(1862), near Weitchpec
A temporary post located west of town at a settlement called Elk Camp, about 15 miles northeast of Fort Anderson.
A temporary Federal post originally called Camp Strowbridge.
Originally located here in 1851 was Camp Klamath, a temporary encampment used during a peace treaty signing with local tribes.
Camp at Martin's Ferry
(1864), near Weitchpec
A temporary post used for only two weeks in March, located 13 miles northwest of town on the Klamath River.
(1856), near Weitchpec
A temporary Federal infantry summer encampment located on the west side of the Klamath River at Cappell Bar, about 15 miles above (southeast of) Fort Ter-Waw and about 10.5 miles below the mouth of the Trinity River, north of Martin's Ferry Bridge.
(1872), near Weitchpec
A temporary summer encampment located at a Mettah Indian village on the Klamath River below Mettah Creek, north of Camp Cap-Ell.
Orleans Bar Post
A temporary detachment post for CA Mountaineers to protect miners. The town was originally named Orleans Bar.
Camp at Fork of Salmon River
(1864), Forks of Salmon
A short-lived post of the CA Mountaineers.
Camp at Callahan's Ranch
A short-lived Army post at M.B. Callahan's stage station or travelers' stop.
(thanks to Wendy Baker for providing info)
(1851), near Fort Jones
A trading post built by Albert Denny, located somewhere in upper Scott Valley.
Fort Jones (2)
(1852 - 1858, 1864), Fort Jones
A Dragoon post built to protect miners against Indian attacks. Briefly reoccupied by the CA Mountaineers in 1864. The reservation was sold off in 1870. The site is one-half mile south of town, on East Side Road. The town was originally named Wheelock.
(1852), Siskiyou County
A trading post on McAdams Creek, built by the father of Frank Hooper.
(1881 - 1935), near Happy Camp
A hydraulic placer gold mine. No military use.
(thanks to Marshall Sitrin for info)
Gold Bluffs Post
(1863 - 1864), near Orick
Built to protect mining operations at the Gold Bluffs, located north of town.
Klamath River Radar Station
(Redwood National Park)
(1942 - 1945), near Klamath
A WWII early warning anti-aircraft radar station located on the south bank of the Klamath River. This was the northernmost station built in the state, one of 65 built (72 planned) along the Pacific Coast from the Canadian border to the Mexican border. Also known as Station B-71. Two concrete-block buildings with wood-framed gable roofs still exist, disguised as farm buildings. Troop barracks were located near town. This was one of only 22 stations still operational after July 1944 until the end of the war, when the SCR-271 radar was replaced with an RC-150 IFF radar for air-sea rescue operations. Abandoned after the war. Located within the national park, access is by trail from Coastal Drive. The buildings are not open to the public. See also CA State Military Museum entry
(1857 - 1862), near Klamath
An Army post at the Klamath Indian Reservation, at "Klamath Glen", on the north bank of the Klamath River across from the Indian Agency, about six miles up from the mouth of the river. Due to constant flooding, it was replaced by Camp Lincoln. State marker
Camp at Crescent City
(1856 - 1858), Crescent City
A Federal post during the Red Cap War, a subpost of Fort Humboldt.
(1862 - 1869), near Crescent City
A CA Volunteer Infantry post originally located in town at the former Indian Agency. Moved three months later (September 1862) to a new site six miles northeast of town on the Smith River. A marker for the later site is located on Smith's River Valley Road. The Post Commander's house has been rebuilt. State marker. Other names for this post include Lincoln's Fort, Fort Lincoln, Camp Long and Long's Fort. Located nearby is Battery Point Lighthouse (1856).
(1856 ?, 1862 ?), Fort Dick
Originally a civilian "fort" at "Russell's Prairie" during the Civil War or possibly as early as 1856, although probably in name only. The Army decided against this location when building Camp Lincoln at Crescent City.
NEED MORE INFO: Federal Camp Whistler (1858) (unknown location); Camp McDowell (1864) (location ?).
Special thanks to Dan Sebby, for information from the California State Military Museum website.Central California - page 2 | San Francisco Bay Area - page 3 | Sonoma-Marin Headlands - page 4
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
Updates @ NorthAmericanForts.com