Fort Hase |
Defenses of Kaneohe Bay |
Defenses of the North Shore |
(Minor WWII Installations NOT INDEXED)
HAWAII AVIATION PRESERVATION SOCIETY
Honolulu Area - page 1 | Pearl Harbor Area - page 2 | Other Hawaiian Islands - page 4
¤ HARBOR DEFENSES of KANE'OHE BAY
¤ Waimanalo Camp Military Reservation
(Bellows Air Force Station)
(1927 - 1948/unknown), Waimanalo
Battery Waimanalo Camp two 240mm howitzers (1923 - 1927 experimental, rebuilt 1931 - 1939) was located one mile inland. Site now buried in the amphibious training area of the former Bellows Air Force Station.
Battery Wailea (1942 - 1945) two mobile 155mm guns from East Beach Battery, was located at Wailea Point, southeast of Lanikai. The guns were returned to Battery East upon its completion in 1942, and two 5-inch naval guns were emplaced 1942 - 1943. Also added in 1942 were two 3-inch AMTB guns from Fort Kamehameha, later replaced by two mobile 90mm AMTB guns in 1943. Searchlights were emplaced on Wailea Point. Fire-control station "Podmore" (1942) was built on Ka'iwa Ridge to the west (still exists). PHOTOS from Punynari's Island Adventures
Bellows Army Airfield (now Air Force Station), built in 1933, was later a NIKE-HERCULES missile site (OA-32) from 1961 - 1970. It is now inactive, currently a military recreation area.
¤ Fort Hase
(Marine Corps Base Hawaii - Kane'ohe Bay)
(1918 - 1949/present), Mokapu
Originally known as Kuwaahoe Military Reservation, and then Camp Ulupau in 1940 until formally named 1942. Occupied the eastern portion of the Mokapu Peninsula. Battery Pennsylvania (1945 - 1948) was completed after the war ended. Built on Ulupa'u Head, it consisted of a salvaged three-gun turret from the USS Arizona. Battery Kuwaahoe two 240mm howitzers (1927 - 1941) was also on Ulupa'u Head (foot of west rim, site destroyed in 1992). There was also East Beach Battery (1941 - 1942) four mobile guns in Ulupa'u Crater (two guns sent to Wailea Point), replaced by Battery East, and Battery East (1942 - 1944) four Panama mounts. Fire-control station "J" (two pre-WWII structures, one WWII structure) was located on Ulupa'u Head. Battery Puka (1942 - 1944) (three 3-inch naval) was on the south side of Ulupa'u Head, and Battery Kii (1942 - 1944) (two 3-inch naval) was on the north side of Ulupa'u Head. Searchlights were emplaced on the south side of Ulupa'u Head. Located on Ulupa'u Head was an AA warning station (AAIS 3) (1940).
On the then Kaneohe Naval Air Station (1939 - 49) (the western portion of the Mokapu Peninsula) was Battery French / 301 (1944 - 1948), North Beach Battery (1941 - 1942) four mobile guns, replaced by Battery Pyramid, Battery Pyramid (1942 - 1944) four Panama mounts, AMTB Battery Pyramid Rock (#7) (1943 - 1945) one gun block remains, and Battery Sylvester (1941 - 1944, dismounted 1942) 8-inch railway guns. Battery Kaneohe (1942) (two 4-inch naval) was to the west, replaced by Battery Pyramid Rock. Searchlights were emplaced on Pyramid Rock. The HDCP (1942) was located on Pu'u Hawai'i Loa (tunnels still exists). Public access is restricted on the base.
Other nearby batteries include Battery Papaa (1942 - 1944) four Panama mounts, Battery DeMerritt / 405 (1944 - 1948), both on Pu'u Papaa (private property), and Battery Kapaho (1942 - 1943) never completed, located on Papaa Ridge, overlooking Kane'ohe Bay from Kapaho Hill. A fire-control station (1943) was located on Kalaheo Hill, also on Papaa Ridge.
¤ Heeia Military Reservation
(1943 - unknown), near Heeia
Fire-control station "Heeia" (1943) was located on Pu'u Ma'eli'eli near Heeia State Park, northeast of town. PHOTOS from Punynari's Island Adventures
¤ Kualoa Military Reservation
(1942 - 1952), near Kualoa Ranch
At the north end of Kane'ohe Bay, near the ruins of the Kualoa Sugar Mill on the north-side of the Kualoa airfield, on Lae O Ka Oio (Kaoio) Point, was Battery LOKO (1942 - 1944) four Panama mounts, and Battery Cooper / 302 (1944 - 1948) on Pu'u Kanehoalani. Anti Motor Torpedo Boat Battery #8 (1943 - 1945, destroyed) was located south on Kualoa Point. Searchlights were emplaced on Kaoio Point. Located on Kaoio Point was an AA warning station (AAIS 4) (1940). Tours of the gun sites are given by guides at Kualoa Ranch. PHOTOS from Punynari's Island Adventures
¤¤ HARBOR DEFENSES of the NORTH SHORE
¤¤ Kaaawa Military Reservation
(1927 - 1940), Ka'a'awa
Located at Ka'a'awa Point was Battery Kaaawa one 240mm howitzer (1927 - 1940). Fire-control station "L" (pre-WWII) was nearby (two structures, still remains). Two mobile 155mm guns were emplaced here in 1944. Also here was an SCR-270 mobile radar (1941). PHOTOS from Punynari's Island Adventures
¤¤ Kahana Military Reservation
(1942 - unknown), near Kahana
Located on Pu'u Kila near Makalii Point was Battery Kahana (1942 - 1945) three 5-inch naval guns (two guns from Battery Wailea, one gun from Battery Oneula). In 1944 four 180-degree Panama mounts for 155mm guns were built. Searchlights were emplaced on Makalii Point.
¤¤ Kokololio Military Reservation
(unknown dates), near Hauula
Fire-control station "M" (two pre-WWII structures, one WWII structure) was located on a rise above Kaipapau Point north of the town (still remains). PHOTOS from Punynari's Island Adventures
¤¤ Laie Military Reservation
(1931 - 1941), Laie
Located just north of town was Battery Laie two 240mm howitzers (1931 - 1940). Searchlights were emplaced on Laie (Naniloa) Point east of town.
¤¤ Kahuku Ranch Military Reservation
(1941 - unknown), near Kahuku
Battery Ranch (1941 - 1945) four Panama mounts, located on Kolaeokahipa Ridge (still exists), New Battery Laie (1941 - 1942, converted to dummy position) railway firing position on the north-side of town, and Battery Kahuku (1942 - 1944 dismounted 8-inch railway guns, shields added 1944) located east of town northwest of Makahoa Point. The BC station for Battery Kahuku was located at Monument 305 on Cross Mountain, west of town. Searchlights were emplaced near Battery Kahuku.
Fire-control station "K" (two structures 1939, one structure 1942) was located on Punamano Heights south of Kahuku Point, adjacent to a later USAF radar station (still remains). Searchlights were emplaced at Kahuku Point, as well as an AA warning station (AAIS 5) (1940). Kahuku Army Airfield was also here. The present Kahuku Army Training Area, located about 2.5 miles north-northwest of town, was once a NIKE-HERCULES missile site (OA-17) from 1961 - 1970.
¤¤ Kawela Military Reservation
(1941 - unknown), Kawela
An SCR-270 mobile radar station was located on the ridge (Opana Hill) above Kawela Bay. Also known as Opana Radar Station. This station signaled the first contact with the incoming Japanese air attack on December 7th, but was ignored or not believed by the duty officers at headquarters because the existance of radar was still classified secret from most lower-grade officers. A modern Navy telecom station is now located on the hill adjacent to the original radar site. No public access.
¤¤ Paumalu Military Reservation
(1942 - unknown), Paumalu
A salvaged two-gun turret from the USS Oklahoma was planned to be located here in 1944, but was replaced by Battery 408 (never built). A railway battery firing position was also to be built near here. Searchlights were emplaced here.
Fire-control station "Lena" (WWII) was located nearby on Paumalu Heights, above Sunset Beach, west of the COMSAT site (between Paumalu and Pakulena Gulchs). A concrete machine-gun pillbox is also located here.
¤¤ Pupukea Military Reservation
(1927 - unknown), near Pupukea Camp
Battery Pupukea I (1927 - 1944) two 240mm howitzers was located two miles inland from Waimea Bay. One mount still exists, other eroded down slope.
Located four miles inland from Waimea Bay along Kamananui Stream was Battery Pupukea II (1942 - 1945) four Panama mounts.
¤¤ Waimea Military Reservation
(1934 - unknown), near Waimea
Two concrete machine-gun pillboxes were built on either shore of Waimea Bay in 1934. Four 75mm field guns were emplaced around the bay in 1941 - 1942, and four additional 75mm guns were emplaced inland at Waimea Camp. Searchlights were emplaced north of Waimea Bay. Fire-control station "O" (pre-WWII) was located north on Pupukea Heights, on the north-side of Kalunawaikaala Gulch (two structures, still remains). PHOTOS from Punynari's Island Adventures
Located three miles inland along Kaiwikoele Stream was the incomplete Battery Waimea (1942). Its three Panama mounts were only 180-degrees and had defensive earthworks. Still exists overgrown on private property.
¤¤ Ashley Military Reservation
(1939 - unknown), Ashley Station
Also known as Camp Ashley, located near Kawailoa Beach. Battery Ashley (1939 - 1944) was here with four Panama mounts (#4 mount still intact, others partially buried). Searchlights were emplaced here. Private property. Fire-control station "Y" (1942) was located near the gate on Ashley Station Road (no remains).
¤¤ Kawailoa Military Reservation
(1939 - unknown), Kawailoa area
Located on the "E" tract near Kawailoa Camp was Battery Kawailoa (1939 - 1944) with four Panama mounts (one mount buried, others destroyed), and fire-control station "T" (one structure 1939, still exists, three structures 1942, no remains). Private property.
Located on the "R" tract near Kawailoa Station was Battery Haleiwa (1939 - 1945) railway firing position, and two mobile 155mm guns (1944). Site destroyed, private property.
Located at Kawailoa Beach was the searchlight position and an SCR-270 mobile radar (1941). Nearby at Puaena Point was an AA warning station (AAIS 6) (1940). Puaena Point was also the site of a training firing point for 155mm guns (1920's) and AA guns (1939 - 1941). Located between the Kawailoa Beach radar site and the Puaena Point firing range was Haleiwa Army Airfield, paved in WWII, portions of runway and taxiway still exist.
¤¤ Anahulu Flats Military Reservation
(1941 - unknown), Anahulu Flats
Battery Anahulu (1942 - 1944) two 240mm howitzers was located about one mile north of Pu'u Kapu, northwest of Quadrupod. It supported the Quadrupod and Pupukea batteries. Site probably still exists.
¤¤ Opaeula Military Reservation
(1942 - 1948), near Opaeula Camp
Located about four miles inland from Haleiwa was Battery Opaeula / Riggs (1942 - 1948, renamed 1946) two twin 8-inch turret guns from the USS Lexington (CV-2). One mount has been destroyed. The magazines, plotting room, and battery commander's station still exist on private property.
Nearby was Battery Pine (1942 - 1945) four Panama mounts. No remains.
¤¤ Quadrupod Military Reservation
(1941 - unknown), near Helemano
Battery Quadrupod (1941 - 1944) two 240mm howitzers was located on Pu'u Peahinaia (Paalaa), northeast of the present-day Helemano Military Reservation. Site still exists.
¤¤ Brodie Camp Military Reservation
(1942 - 1948), Brodie Camp Four
Battery Brodie / Ricker (1942 - 1948, renamed 1946) two twin 8-inch naval turret guns. Site buried.
¤¤ Puuiki Military Reservation
(1920's - 1944), near Puuiki
Battery Puuiki, a "dummy" railway battery firing position, was located here, just north of Waialua. A concrete machine-gun pillbox was located on the beach in 1934.
¤¤ Waialua Military Reservation
(1934 - unknown), Waialua
Fire-control station "W" (1934, one structure) was located south on a small rise just east of the Pu'u Iki summit, with three additional structures (1939) built east on Pu'u Kamananui. There is possibly a WWII-era station still extant on the Pu'u Iki summit.
¤¤ Mokuleia Military Reservation
(1941 - unknown), near Mokuleia
Battery Mokuleia (1942 - 1945) four Panama mounts was located two miles inland. Still exists. Searchlights were emplaced on the beach.
¤¤ Kawaihapai Military Reservation
(1929 - unknown), near Camp Erdman
Battery Dillingham (1942 - 1944) two 4-inch naval guns until 1943 when two 155mm guns were installed on Panama mounts. Two additional 155mm guns were emplaced in 1944. Four 75mm field guns were emplaced along the beach in 1941 - 1942, and four additional 75mm guns were emplaced further inland. No remains. Searchlights were emplaced on the western end of the present airfield. The former Dillingham Army Airfield (1941) (now Air Force Station) was originally a field artillery training range. It became a NIKE-HERCULES missile site (OA-84) from 1961 - 1970.
¤¤ Kaena Point Military Reservation
(1923 - 1948/present), Ka'ena Point
Also known as Camp Kaena. Located on Pu'u Pueo was Battery Kaena (1942 - 1944) two 4-inch naval guns until 1943 when two 155mm guns were installed on Panama mounts. No remains. A salvaged three-gun turret from the USS Oklahoma was planned for this location in 1944, but was replaced by Battery 409 (1945, tunnels near completed, guns never mounted). Fire-control station "S" (1923, one structure) was also located here (now ruins). A second structure (1934) built below still exists. Also here was a SCR-271A radar (1942), with the operations and power rooms tunneled into the mountain. Searchlights were emplaced on Ka'ena Point, as well as an AA warning station (AAIS 7) (1940). PHOTOS from Punynari's Island Adventures || MORE PHOTOS from Punynari's Island Adventures
PHOTOS from Waianae CRider.com
¤¤ Makua Military Reservation
(1930 - 1945/present), Makua Beach
Battery Makua (1931 - 1939), three 240mm howitzers, was one mile inland from the beach. Searchlights were emplaced near the shore.
NOTES: The Island of O'ahu was ringed by hundreds of mass-produced concrete machine-gun pillboxes in 1942. Many still exist. There were six additional positions for 75mm field gun batteries (eight guns each) on the North Shore in 1941 - 1942. There were numerous AA batteries (3-inch, 20mm, 40mm, 90mm, 120mm) emplaced around the island 1942 - 1945. They are not yet listed on this website. Not all of the 155mm and 240mm batteries had guns emplaced at all times. Many were alternate, or "fall back" pre-built positions. The guns were moved where needed.
Thanks to William Gaines of the Coast Defense Study Group for detailed information on Oahu's WWII 155mm batteries, railway batteries, and other historical information, and also to the late William Dorrance of the CDSG for additional historical information.
Special thanks to John Bennett of the CDSG for Oahu fire-control station data, and information on the current conditions of various surviving structures.
Honolulu Area - page 1 | Pearl Harbor Area - page 2 | Other Hawaiian Islands - page 4
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com