Anderson's Fort |
Arrow Rock Fort |
Best's Fort |
Black Snake Hills Post |
Boone's Fort | Buckhart's Fort | Buffalo Fort | Fort Bunker | Calloway's Fort | Cap au Grés Fort
Castlio's Fort | Fort Charette | Fort Clark (1) | Fort Clark (2) | C. Clark's Fort
Clarksville Stockade | Camp Clemson | Fort Clemson | H. Cole's Fort | S. Cole's Fort
Camp Compton | Coontz's Fort | Cooper's Fort | Fort Côte sans Dessein | Cox's Fort
Femme Osage Fort | Fiery Prairie Fort | Gilbert's Fort | Graham Barracks | Camp Graham
Grooms' Fort | Camp Hard Times | Head's Fort | Fort Hempstead | Fort Henry
Fort Howard | Howell's Fort | Fort le Huiller | Camp Hunt | Fort Independence
Camp Jackson | Fort Jefferson | Camp Jennison | Johnson's Fort | Journey's Fort
Kennedy's Fort | Kinkead's Fort | Kountz's Fort | Camp Krekel | Le Sieur's Post (1)
Le Sieur's Post (2) | Lester's Fort | Liberty Arsenal | Camp Lillie | Fort Lookout
McClain's Fort | McCoy's Fort | McDermit's Fort | McLain's Fort | McMahan's Fort
Fort Madison | Fort Mason | Fort Matson | Missouri Ordnance Depot | Fort Mulligan
Old Round Stone Fort | Fort Orleans (1) | Fort Orleans (2) | Fort Osage | Fort Peruque
Fort Pike | Pond Fort | Portage des Sioux Blockhouse (2) | Portage des Sioux Fort (1)
Quick's Fort | Reed's Blockhouse | Robideaux' Post | Roi's Fort | Roy's Fort
St. Charles Armory | St. Charles Blockhouse | St. Charles Post | St. Joseph Post
Fort San Juan del Misuri | Camp Sanger | Fort Sibley (1) | Sibley's Fort (2) | Fort Smith
South River Fort | Spanish Fort | Stout's Fort | Sturgeon Blockhouse | Talbot's Fort
Tebo's Fort | Thibault's Fort | Tibeau's Fort | Camp Tipton | Camp Totten | Camp Union (1)
Van Meter Site | Camp Vest | Camp Weaver's Spring | White's Fort | Woods' Fort
Fort Zumwalt | Zumwalt's Fort
Southern Missouri - page 2
MISSOURI FORTS IN WAR OF 1812
Camp Hard Times
(1839), near Chambersburg
A state militia encampment during the so-called "Honey War" border dispute between Missouri and Iowa. It was located at the old town site of Waterloo, on the Fox River near town. The Iowa militia had an encampment on the Des Moines River at Farmington, IA (see also). The dispute was settled in Iowa's favor, without bloodshed.
(1832), near St. Francisville
A local militia fort garrisoned for only three months during the Black Hawk War. Initially known as Camp Weaver's Spring.
(1791), near Alexandria
A Spanish fort was proposed several times after the American Revolution to be built at the mouth of the Des Moines River to prevent British (Canadian) traders from the western fur trade. It was never constructed.
(See also Montbrun's Fort in IOWA)
Fort Clark (2)
A MO state militia fort during the Black Hawk War. A triangular palisade with three blockhouses. The fort existed for many years after the war as a stable.
(1812 - 1813), Sublette
A Federal post destroyed by the troops to prevent Indian capture.
(1832), near Sublette
A MO state militia palisaded blockhouse, with a detached powder magazine and storehouse, built by Capt. Richard Matson during the Black Hawk War. It was never completed before it was abandoned. Sometimes erroneously referred to as Fort Madison (2) by later historians. Site located at the Fort Madison Cemetery northeast of town.
François Le Sieur's Trading Post (2)
(1795), La Grange
A French settlers' fort and trading post with four cabins, located at the mouth of the Wyaconda River. Ruins were reported in 1819. A reconstruction is located at the Center for Living History Preservation in nearby Canton.
South River Fort
(1861 - 1865), near Palmyra
A Union fort guarding the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad bridge over the South River, south of town. This section of the old rail line, between Hannibal and Palmyra, no longer exists. A reconstruction was once located at the Civil War Fort and Museum at 4805 McMasters Ave. in nearby Hannibal, but has since been closed and torn down.
(1812 - 1814), near Saverton
A local militia fort protecting the settlement here from Indian raids. Built by Lt. John Mason. Garrisoned for a short time by regular troops from Fort Belle Fontaine.
Samuel Gilbert's Fort
(1812 - 1815), Ralls County
A settlers' blockhouse on the Salt River, on a hill northeast of Shepards or Matson Mill.
(1812 - 1813), Louisiana
A settlers' fort located two miles southwest of town on Buffalo Creek. Built by Missouri Rangers, it was abandoned and burned in March 1813.
A temporary stockade erected by the settlers, it was abandoned after they were killed by Indians.
(1813 - 1815), near Foley
A local militia fort built by the Missouri Rangers, located two miles east of town, eight miles above the mouth of the Cuivre River, opposite Cap au Gris on the Illinois-side of the Mississippi River. Also known as Cap au Grés Fort (aka Capo Gray). Burned in 1813 shortly after being built, but reoccupied until the end of the war.
(1812 - 1815), Old Monroe
A local militia stockaded fort with three blockhouses, built under orders from Captain Nathan Boone. Garrisoned by 60 - 70 men, and accommodating 30 families. The "Battle of the Sinkhole" occurred here in May 1815.
Captain White's Fort
(1812 - unknown), near Old Monroe
A settlers' fort located two miles south of the Cuivre River on Dog (or Big) Prairie, about two miles from Fort Howard. Attacked by Indians, killing 12 soldiers. They are buried in town.
Major Christopher Clark's Fort
(1812 - 1815), Troy
A settlers' fort located three and one half miles southeast of town.
Zadoc Woods' Fort
(1812 - 1815), Troy
A settlers' stockaded fort. Woods later moved to eastern Texas and built another fort there.
(1812 - 1815), Auburn
A local militia stockaded fort located one mile south of the old town on Fort Branch Creek. Site no longer exists.
(1812 - 1815), near Wentzville
A local militia fort located on Dardenne Prairie, southwest of town. It consisted of a group of log homes in a square, south of a large pond. Site possibly still exists.
Fort Orleans (2)
(1755 - unknown), O'Fallon
A French fort.
(O'Fallon Community Foundation)
(1812 - 1815), O'Fallon FORT WIKI
Originally built as a log cabin in 1798 by Jacob Zumwalt, enlarged with two wings with portholes during the War of 1812, and then stockaded (aka Jacob Zumwalt's Fort). Sold in 1817 to Nathan Heald. The cabin was finally torn down in the late 1930's. The chimney is the last remaining extant original structure. Several structures are now currently (2012) under reconstruction. The Darius Heald Home (1886) is also located within the park. The former state park was sold to the city in 1978.
A Union fortified two-story blockhouse located at the end of the Wabash Railroad bridge over Peruque Creek.
François Le Sieur's Trading Post (1)
(1790's - unknown), Portage des Sioux
A French settlers' trading post. It was already established before the Spanish Portage des Sioux Fort (1).
Portage des Sioux Fort (1)
(1799 - unknown), Portage des Sioux
A Spanish fort built to counter the Americans and British.
Portage des Sioux Blockhouse (2)
(1813 - 1815), Portage des Sioux
A local militia blockhouse.
A gun battery called Fort Lookout was located on an island one mile downriver.
Louis Blanchette's Trading Post
(1769), St. Charles
A trading post built by a French-Canadian trader. The settlement was first known as Les Petites Côtes.
St. Charles Blockhouse
(1793), St. Charles
A stone blockhouse located in the town's "common fields" to protect horses and livestock from Indian raids. It was about 24 by 32 feet, with walls about 18 inches thick. Two gunports were in each wall. The still-intact structure was discovered in 2004 incorporated inside of an old barn located off of Muegge Road, prior to demolition for the new Spring Mill residential development. The structure was dismantled and relocated to the Historic Daniel Boone Home and Boonesfield Village (admission fee) in nearby Defiance, owned and operated by Lindenwood University. When discovered it had only one story. It is not known if there was originally a second story. A conjectural thatch roof was added when reconstructed. This is the only known intact Spanish-era fortification in the greater St. Louis area.
Old Round Stone Fort
(1797), St. Charles
A circular stone tower wind-powered gristmill constructed in 1797 by Spanish trader Antoine Roy (Roi), built of notched stone 30-feet high and 30-feet in diameter. It was located at present-day Third and Adams Streets. It was never used as a fort, but the fog of history mystified its origins. It was torn down after the Civil War.
St. Charles Post
(1804 - unknown), St. Charles
A Federal stockaded post located at the foot of Clay Street. Later used as a trading post. Site was destroyed in 1960 for a parking lot.
St. Charles Arsenal
(unknown dates), St. Charles
A state arsenal/armory once located at 314 South Second Street. It was demolished in 1961.
(1861 - unknown), St. Charles
A Union fort located on Bunker Hill (named after the war), near the present St. Charles Reservoir. A school was used as barracks, site now Mount Pleasant School. Two nearby mills were used as a hospital and a prison.
(1812 - 1815), Cottleville
A settlers' log fort built by Colonel John Coontz and his brother Nicholas, located on Boone's Lick Road one and one-half miles east of town. The original house was built in 1800. Became a tavern after the war. Site is marked with a monument as Kountz Fort, which family descendants claim is a misspelling.
A Union training and muster camp.
Francis (François) Howell's Fort
(1811 - 1815), near Weldon Spring
A settlers' fort located on Howell's Prairie near Dardenne Creek, now within the August A. Busch Wildlife Area.
John Castlio's Fort
(1811 - 1815), near Weldon Spring
A settlers' fort located one and one-half miles from Howell's Fort on Howell's Prairie, near Dardenne Creek.
Daniel Morgan Boone's Fort
(1812 - 1815), Matson
A settlers' fort built by the son of the famous pioneer, with two or three blockhouses. Located in Darst's Bottom on Femme Osage Creek.
Femme Osage Fort
(1812 - 1815), Mechanicsville
A settlers' fort.
(Historic Village and Museum)
(1790 - 1804), Washington
A recreation of a French settlers' fur-trading post in Spanish Upper Louisiana. Admission fee. The original trading post, on a site closer to Marthasville, was probably built in 1762 by Joseph Chadron, fortified (stockaded) by 1790. An Anglo-American and Creole village called La Charette later grew around the old fort in 1804, which was noted by Lewis and Clark, but the site was later washed away by the river in 1843.
Across the river in Dutzow was Spanish Fort San Juan del Misuri (1796), a log fort built to protect settlers. There was no reference to this post after 1803.
(1812 - 1815), Marthasville
Either a local militia fort built by the Missouri Rangers under 2nd Lt. James Callaway, OR
a settlers' two-story log fort built by Flanders Callaway, father of James.
Thomas Kennedy's Fort
(1811 - 1815), Wright City
A settlers' stockaded fort with two blockhouses, located one mile east of town on Peruque Creek. It was dismantled after the war.
(1812 - 1815), near Warrenton (?)
A settlers' fort located about 15 miles west of Pond Fort. Built by brothers Peter, Joseph, and James Journey.
(1812 - 1815), near McKittrick
A local militia fort located on the upper part of Loutre Island. Also known as Camp Clemson.
(1812 - 1815), near McKittrick
A settlers' fort located on a bluff above Loutre Island.
Jacob Quick's Fort
(1812 - 1815), near McKittrick
A settlers' fort located at the mouth of the Loutre River in the east end of Best's Bottom.
Isaac Best's Fort
(1812 - 1814), near McKittrick
A settlers' fort located near the mouth of the Loutre River in the west end of Best's Bottom. Abandoned for Fort Clemson due to nearby Indian attacks.
(1812 - 1815), near Big Spring (?)
A settlers' fort located up the Loutre River. Undetermined location.
Jacob Grooms' Fort
(1814), near Big Spring
A settlers' fort located eight miles up the Loutre River from its mouth.
Fort Côte sans Dessein
(1812 - 1815), near Tebbetts
A reference to two settlers' blockhouse forts located opposite the mouth of the Osage River, Joseph Thibault's (Tibeau's, Tebo's) Fort and Jean Baptiste Roi's (Roy's) Fort, about 400 yards apart with a log powder magazine between the two. They were attacked by Sauk and Fox Indians in April 1815 who attempted to burn the blockhouses. The settlers put out each attempt first with their drinking water, then their milk supply, and then with the contents of their bed chamberpots. The Indians then fled the scene.
Jefferson City Civil War Defenses
(1861 - 1863), Jefferson City
Fort Jefferson (1861 - 1863), a Union fort, undetermined location.
Camp Lillie (1861), a Union camp located one mile south of town.
(1813 - 1815), near Jefferson City (?)
The Sauk (Sac) and Fox Indian Agency after Fort Osage was temporarily abandoned. It was a two-story blockhouse located on Little Moniteau Creek (location ?), upriver from town.
A Union camp located at the fairgrounds.
A Union blockhouse was located here during the Civil War.
(1811 - 1815), near Rocheport
A settlers' stockaded fort located on Big Moniteau Creek, a few miles north of town. Named after Moses Head, OR Captain William Head.
(1812 - 1815), New Franklin
A settlers' stockaded fort with two blockhouses, located one mile north of town near Sulphur Creek. It was originally named Rev. David McLain's (or McClain) Fort. Renamed after Captain Stephen Hempstead of the local militia.
David Kinkead's Fort
(1812 - 1815), near Franklin
A settlers' stockaded fort with several cabins forming the walls, located about one mile west of town.
A temporary Union camp.
Hannah Cole's Fort
(1814 - 1815), Boonville
A settlers' stockaded fort on a bluff on the eastern side of town, built after Stephen's fort was attacked and then abandoned in December 1814. Hannah's husband William Cole (who was killed by Indians in 1810) was Stephen's brother. Became the first Howard County courthouse in 1816. Marker on Monroe Street. The bluff was later leveled to build the railroad through town. The 1910 "Hannah Cole Cottage" bed and breakfast inn, located at 1209 East Morgan, is said to be located at or near the fort site.
Stephen Cole's Fort
(1812 - 1814), Boonville
A settlers' stockaded fort located one and one-half miles east of town, north of the Boonville and Rocheport road, in what is today called "Old Fort Field". Brother-in-law to Hannah. Attacked and then abandoned for Hannah's Fort in December 1814.
A Confederate camp.
Captain Benjamin Cooper's Fort
(Boone's Lick State Historic Site)
(1812 - 1815), Petersburg
A settlers' stockaded fort with cabins for 20 families. The largest of the so-called "Boone's Lick Forts". Destroyed by a flood in 1844.
Arrow Rock Fort
(Arrow Rock State Historic Site)
(1813 - 1815), Arrow Rock
A two-story log blockhouse built as the new Osage Indian Agency after Fort Osage was temporarily abandoned. Also known as George Sibley's Fort (2).
Jesse Cox's Fort
(1814 - 1815), near Arrow Rock
A settlers' stockaded blockhouse located three miles north of town in Cox's Bottom. Also called Anderson's Fort.
William McMahan's Fort
(1811 - 1815), near Arrow Rock
A settlers' fort located on the west-side of the Missouri River, about five miles from Cooper's Fort. Located about four miles north of Arrow Rock.
William Reed's Blockhouse
(1812 - 1815), near Arrow Rock
A settlers' blockhouse. Site is now under water, in the Boone's Lick region.
(1812 - 1815), near Arrow Rock
A settlers' fort in the Boone's Lick region.
(unknown dates), near Huntsville
Fort Orleans (1)
(1723 - 1728), near De Witt
Built by the French under Étienne Véniard de Bourgmont, with 40 men, located on the north bank of the Missouri River upstream of the mouth of the Grand River, near the Utz Archaeological Site, to keep out the Spanish and to gain military control of the Missouri River. It was abandoned after several Indian attacks. The exact site has most probably been lost to erosion. A marker erected by the D.A.R. is located near the river's mouth, east of town.
(unknown dates), Miami
A prehistoric Indian site which includes a Missouri Indian earthwork known as "Old Fort".
(Battle of Lexington State Historic Site)
A Union earthwork surrounding the then-vacant Masonic College (1848-1859), built by Col. James Mulligan. SIte located in College Park at State and 16th Streets, with a one-third scale replica of the college building, with markers and monuments. Located about 400 yards east of the still extant 1853 Anderson House, which was used as a hospital during the battle. Traces of Union trenchworks still exist at the preserved battlefield. Confederates lay seige to the town in September 1861, and the Union forces surrendered.
(1808 - 1813, 1815 - 1827), near Sibley FORT WIKI
A temporary stockade which also served as the Sauk (Sac), Fox, and Osage Indian Agency. This was the first Federal fort in the interior of Louisiana Territory. Originally known as Fort (William) Clark (1) (under whose orders the fort was built) and later also as Fiery Prairie Fort, or Fort (George) Sibley (1), the Post Factor and Indian Agent. The site, northeast of town on a hill overlooking the river, was first marked as "Fort Point" in 1804 during the Lewis and Clark Expedition. The fort consisted of five blockhouses, barracks, hospital, Officers' quarters, and trading post. The fort was abandoned in 1813, and the Indian Agency was moved to Arrow Rock (see above) and Little Moniteau Creek near present-day Jefferson City (see Johnson's Fort above). The Indian Agency was re-established here in 1815, regarrisoned with troops in 1816, and it remained open until 1822. The post was then used as a military storehouse until 1827, when Fort Leavenworth was built to replace the post. The post was reconstructed in the 1940's.
Another website from Graphics/Fine Arts Press
(1830's - 1861), Liberty
A Federal arsenal located south of town on the river bluff at Liberty Landing. Also known as Missouri Ordnance Depot. It was attacked by pro-slavers in 1855, and attacked by secessionists on April 20, 1861, which was the first armed action of the Civil War in the state. No remains, marker located at junction of MO 291, Southview Drive, and Seven Hills Road.
Kansas City Civil War Camps
(1861), Kansas City
Camp Jennison (1861), undetermined location.
Camp Union (1) (1861), located at 10th and Central Streets.
(1898), Kansas City
A Spanish-American War muster-out camp for state troops. Located at the former Fairmont Park on Independence Ave. at Willow Ave., in the Sugar Hill area (closed in the 1930's). The site is now the Sugar Creek ballfield and residential homes. Half of the camp grounds were actually named Camp Sanger after a dispute between the commanding officers of two regiments forced their separation. After about one month, one regiment moved to Camp Graham (aka Graham Barracks) at the old Builders and Traders Exchange Building (1890) at 7th and Central Aves.. The building still exists as part of the Historic Suites of America hotel. The second regiment moved to the old Priests of Pallas Den at 6th and Lydia Aves., which was named Camp Compton.
Joseph Robideaux' Trading Post
(1828 - 1840's), St. Joseph
A fur trading post, the site of which is at Riverfront Park. Also known as the Black Snake Hills Post. The town was founded in 1840.
Of interest elsewhere in town is the restored 1840's Robidoux Row Museum (admission fee) at 217 East Poulin Street, owned and maintained by the St. Joseph Historical Society.
St. Joseph Post
(1861 - 1864), St. Joseph
A Union garrison post during the Civil War. The 1858 Patee House Museum (admission fee) at 1202 Penn Street was used as the Union Provost Marshal's office.
Located on Prospect Hill at the end of West Michel Street (at Bellevue Street), overlooking the Missouri River just north of downtown, was Fort Smith, an earthen redoubt for 12 guns and 2500 troops. No remains, site excavated in 2007 (part of the Huston Wyeth Park green space).
NEED MORE INFO: French Fort le Huillier (1730) (location ?); settlers' Lester's Fort (1812) along Lower Missouri River (location ?); settlers' McCoy's Fort (1812) along the Lower Missouri River (location ?); Union cavalry Camp Hunt (1862) (location ?)
Southern Missouri - page 2
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com