Allyson Point Battery |
Fort Beauséjour |
Fort Cumberland |
De Chauffours' Fort
De Niverville's Fort | Camp d'Espérance | Fort Fronsac | Fort Gaspéreau | Fort Gediaque
Gilbert Battery | Miramichi Fort | Miscou Post | Fort Monckton
Nipisiquit Trading Establishment | Quaco Battery | Richibucto Blockhouse | Fort Shediak
Shepody Bay Post | Shippagan Post | Camp Sussex
Western New Brunswick - page 1 | Saint John Harbour - page 3
NEW BRUNSWICK MILITARY HERITAGE PROJECT
ACADIAN HISTORIC SITES IN NEW BRUNSWICK
A French three-gun shore battery erected at what is now Alexander Park on Water Street, used in the July 1760 Battle of the Restigouche River. The battery was under command of a Lt. Gilbert from the French frigate Machault and manned by French sailors and several hundred Acadians and Mikmaq Indians. The battery was abandoned before the holed-up French fleet was destroyed by the British, which ended all hopes of reconquering Québec City. The two guns currently on display in Riverfront Park came from the Battery Point site on the Québec-side of the river. (see also Fort Listuguj, QUEBEC)
Nipisiquit Trading Establishment (Provincial Historic Site)
(1768 - 1778), Youghall
An extensive commercial trading post and fishing establishment near Bathurst, built by George Walker. Protected by a small gun battery at Allyson Point. Destroyed by American privateers in July 1778. It was never rebuilt.
The French under Nicolas Denys originally had a fortified trading post (with six guns) here in 1652, located at Ferguson's Point. A French Jesuit mission was built nearby in 1644, a branch of the St. Charles Mission on Shippagan Island.
Miscou Trading Post
(1623 - 1628, 1645 - unknown), Miscou Harbour, Shippagan Island
A French post or habitation built by Raymond de la Ralde. Although few or no French settlers/traders were here in 1628, it was captured by the English that year, but returned in 1632 per the Treaty of St. Germain-en-Laye. Exact location undetermined. Nicolas Denys later established a post in 1645 at Pecten Point. Shippagan Island was once known as Grande Isle de Miscou.
Shippagan Trading Post
(1634 - 1662), Shippagan Island
A French trading post and Jesuit mission (St. Charles) was established here in 1634. Probably at Miscou Harbour.
Lt. De Niverville's Fort
(1760 - 1761), unknown location
A seemingly forgotten French outpost that did not surrender to the British until the spring of 1761. Located somewhere in the Miramichi River valley.
(1672 - 1691 ?), Miramichi
Nicolas Denys, sieur de Fronsac, established a fort and trading post on the Miramichi River, apparently constructed at the forks on the north side of the river. A Recollet Mission was established in 1686 on the Miramichi River, probably near Beaubear's Island. Nicolas' son, Richard Denys, was later (at least by 1688) placed in charge of the fort and trading post. In 1691 Richard died at sea. The post then soon declined.
There may have been an earlier French trading post here in 1647.
(Boishébert National Historic Site)
(French Fort Cove Nature Park)
(Miramichi Landings - Beaubears Island)
(1756 - 1760), Miramichi
A French fort located on the east side of Beaubears Island in the Miramichi River near French Fort Cove. It protected an Acadian refugee village at Wilson's Point (Camp d'Espérance) aka "The Enclosure", under the leadership of Captain Charles Deschamps de Boishébert. The village was finally abandoned in August 1758 without ever being found by the British. The fort and village were found and destroyed by the British in June 1760. The island is accesible by private boat only (fee).
Sieur de Chauffours' Fort
(1682 - unknown), Richibucto
An early French settlement with a palisaded house and grain shed. Exact location undetermined.
(1812 - 1815), near Richibucto
A local militia blockhouse at the mouth of the Richibucto River, built to defend against American privateer attacks. Commanded by Major Jacob Kollock, erected on the land of Jacob Powell.
(1749 - 1751, 1755 ?), Shediac
A French fortified supply depot on Skull Island (then known as Indian Island). Also spelled Gediaque. Abandoned after Fort Gaspereau was built to replace it. Possibly also used in 1755 when the British advanced on Fort Beauséjour.
A second depot (name ?) was built further inland at the tidal head of the Shediac River.
Fort Gaspéreau (National Historic Site)
(1751 - 1756), Port Elgin FORT WIKI
Also spelled Gaspareaux. A 180-foot square palisaded fort with four timber blockhouse bastions, a guardhouse, powder magazine, barracks, and storehouse, which was used mainly as a protected warehouse and shipping station between Louisbourg, NS and Québec City, QC. The stabilized ruins (buried) and trace are well-preserved. Located northeast of the Acadian village of Baie Verte. Captured by the British in June 1755, and renamed Fort Monckton. A new blockhouse was built in 1756, but was abandoned due to Micmac Indian hostilities. The history of this fort is interpreted at the Monro Heritage Centre at 1 Spring Street.
Fort Beauséjour (National Historic Site)
(1751 - 1835), Aulac FORT WIKI
Built to counter the nearby British Fort Lawrence in Nova Scotia. The French had actually occupied and minimally fortified this position beginning in the fall of 1749. This was adjacent to the Acadian village of Butte à Charles. The British had attempted to fortify this position in May 1750, but found the French already entrenched. The fort proper was not built until the spring of 1751. This was a star-shaped earthen fort that was captured by the British in June 1755 and renamed Fort Cumberland. The French had built a triangular palisaded redoubt to the north at Pont à Buot (modern Point de Bute), protecting the bridge over the then fully tidal Missaguash River. A French outpost was also at Butte à Roger, a knoll about three-quarters of a mile from the fort, overlooking the Missaguash River and Fort Lawrence. The British seige camp at the base of Butte à Mirande (Mount Whatley) was protected by a gun battery (site of modern bridge). The fort played a key role in the deportation of the Acadians in 1756. Part of the British garrison was sent to occupy Boston, MA in 1768. The fort was attacked by local rebel sympathizers of the American Patriot cause in November 1776, led by Jonathon Eddy (and possibly included a few Americans as well). It was rebuilt and manned for the War of 1812. It was abandoned in 1835. The ruins have been restored. See also Canadian Register of Historic Places
Shepody Bay Post
(1755 ?, 1776), Shepody Bay
A British outpost was established in September 1776 to prevent local contact with the American rebels in Machias, ME, and desertion from the garrison at Fort Cumberland. On October 29, 1776, as a prelude to their assault on Fort Cumberland, the rebel invading force under Jonathon Eddy captured the outpost. Located about 15 miles from Sackville.
There may have possibly been a French military post located at St. Mary's Point in 1755.
(1885 - 1960's), Sussex
In May 1885 the New Brunswick militia assembled here to prepare for service in the North West Rebellion. Originally 253 acres, the camp expanded in 1912 to meet the ever-growing training needs of the military. The camp was enlarged again in 1940 to handle a brigade group and the units began to arrive in the autumn of 1940 to undergo training prior to embarkation. In early 1944 the Special Officer's Training Centre was established in Camp Sussex to train officers for the CANLOAN programme.
Soon after a replacement facility was constructed in 1954 (Camp Gagetown / CFB Gagetown), the training camp was closed and the land purchased by the Town of Sussex. Leonard Drive runs through the old camp site, but there are few landmarks left. Now the Sussex Industrial Park. The Agricultural Museum of New Brunswick is located on the site of a tank hangar and two large pine trees behind the community centre mark the location of the Officers' mess. Although the old rifle range located on Fowler Ave. is no longer used as a firing range, it is still Department of National Defence property. A modern armoury nearby is home to "B" Squadron of the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's).
Of interest in town is the 8th Hussars Regimental Museum located at the Sussex Train Station. Also of interest in town is the Tea House Museum at 12 Maple Street with several exhibits of the camp.
(1812 - 1815), Quaco
A local militia two-gun battery at the mouth of the Mosher River, near St. Martins, to protect the local shipyard from American privateers. A detachment of the Royal Artillery from the Saint John garrison was briefly posted here in 1812.
Western New Brunswick - page 1 | Saint John Harbour - page 3
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com