Northern Ontario (West)

Allanwater Post | Ash Falls Post | Asp House | Athabaska House | Attawapiskat Lake Posts
Bad Lake Posts | Badger River House | Bearskin Lake Post | Beaver Lake House
Beaver Lodge Post | Big Beaver House | Big Lake Posts | Fort Bois Blanc (1)
Bois Blanc Post (2) | Bucke Post | By Lake Post | Fort Camenestiguouia | Cat Lake Posts
Cavell Post | Cockenogamy Lake Post | Fort Concord | Crow Nest Lake Posts | Dalles Posts
Deer Lake Posts | Dinorwic Post | Dog River Post | Duck Lake Post | Eagle Lake Posts (1)(2)
Eagle Lake Post (3) | Ernest House | Escabitchewan Posts | Flint Lake Posts | Fly Lake Posts
Fort Frances | Gammon River Posts | Gloucester House | Grassy Narrows Post
Gull's Lake Posts | Fort Hope (2) | Hudson Post | Hungry Hall Post | Iabammet Lake Post
Fort James | Kagianagami Post | Kakabeka Falls Redoubt | Fort Kaministiquia (1)
Fort Kaministiquia (2) | Keencogomeg Post | Keewatin Post | Kenora Post
Lake Burdingno Post | Fort Lac à la Carpe | Fort Lac la Croix | Lac des Mille Lacs Post
Lake Nipigon Posts | Fort Lac la Pluie | Lac la Pluie House | Lac Seul Posts
Lansdowne House | Lesser Long Lake Posts | Little Pine Lake Post | Long Lake House
Long Lake Posts | Martin's Falls Post | Miminiska Lake Post | Minaki Post
Mishicogammi Post | Mojikit Lake Post | Montizambert Post | Moose Lake Posts
Mountain Portage Post | Fort Népigon | Fort Neuve-Savane | Nipigon House | Noyon's Post
Ogoki Post | Ogoki Lake Post | Osnaburgh House | Osnaburgh Lake Post | Paint Lake Post
Pashkokogan Lake Post | Pekangekum Post | Pic River Posts | Pine Portage Post
Pine Ridge Post | Point Meuron Post | Portage de l'Isle Posts | Rainy Lake House
Rainy Lake Post | Rainy River Post | Rat Portage Post | Red Lake Posts | Red Rock Post
St. Anthony Mines Post | Fort St. Pierre | Fort Ste. Thérèse | Sachigo Lake Post
Sandy Lake Posts | Sandy Narrows Post | Sandy Point Lake Post | Savanne Post | Savant Post
Fort Severn | Severn Post | Severn Lake Posts | Shewesia Post | Shikag Lake Post
Shoal Lake Post | Sioux Lookout Post | Sturgeon Lake Posts | Fort Tekamanigan
Fort Tourette | Trout Lake Posts (1)(2) | Trout Lake Posts (3)(5) | Fort Vermilion
Vermilion Lake Post | Weeneshaw Lake Posts | Weenusk Post | Wepiscuacaw Lake Posts
Whitedog Post | Whitefish Bay Post | Fort William | Windy Lake Post | Winisk River Post
Wipenaban Posts | Wire Lake Post

Southern Ontario (West) - page 1 | Southern Ontario (East) - page 2
Northern Ontario (East) - page 3

Last Update: 15/SEPTEMBER/2014
Compiled by Pete Payette - ©2014 American Forts Network

NOTE: This page covers sites west of the 85th West Meridian. Post name spellings are per the HBC Archives and the "National Atlas of Canada" (1974).

Montizambert Post
(1892 - 1933),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located on the Black River east of Pic River.

Pic River Posts
(Pic River National Historic Site)
(1779 - 1888/1894), Pic River
Originally an independent trade post. Became a North West Co. post by 1799, relocated in 1803. An XY Company post was also located here in 1803.

The mouth of the Pic River has been the centre of native trade and settlement for thousands of years. It was a strategic location in the region's water transportation network because it offered access to northern lands and a canoe route to James Bay. The halfway point for canoers travelling the north shore of Lake Superior, "the Pic" first appeared on European maps in the mid-seventeenth century. Local natives began to trade furs with the French-Canadians in the late 1770's, prompting a French trader to set up a post here by 1792. The Hudson's Bay Company operated the post from 1821 (HBC records begin 1827) until encroaching settlement led to its relocation in 1888 (HBC records end 1894). In 1914 the Pic became a treaty reserve for its traditional inhabitants, the Ojibways of Pic River No. 50 First Nation. Historic marker located near the St. Xavier Church, off Park Road, in the Pic River First Nation.

Lesser Long Lake Posts
(Steel River Provincial Park)
(1815 - unknown), Steel Lake ?
A North West Co. post and a Hudson's Bay Co. post were both located here.

Long Lake Posts
(1790's ? - 1941), Long Lake, Longlac
In 1814 the Hudson's Bay Co. (HBC records begin 1815) established Long Lake House, about 3 km southwest of Long Lake, close to the post established prior to 1800 by the North West Company. The latter had been intercepting trade which would otherwise have gone to the HBC's Henley House on the Albany River some 225 km to the northeast. The NWC relocated/rebuilt its post in 1815. The two local posts continued in bitter competition until the union of the rival companies in 1821. In subsequent years the post was a relay post on the winter "express route" between Red River and Moose Factory. The post was relocated in 1850 to the present village of Long Lake. The post was moved again in 1921 to its present location in Longlac. Historic marker located in Centennial Park at Forestry Road and York Street in Longlac.

Keencogomeg Post
(1811 - unknown),
A North West Co. post.

Wepiscuacaw Lake Posts
(1785 - unknown),
A North West Co. post.

A Hudson's Bay Co. post was also located here (date ?).

Little Pine Lake Post
(1810 - 1812),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post. Also known as Pine Lake Post.

Flint Lake Posts
(1812 - unknown),
A North West Co. post.

A Hudson's Bay Co. post was also located here in 1812, relocated in 1818.

Cavell Post
(1932 - 1933), near Aroland ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post, probably located on the railway line between Aroland and Auden.

Big Lake Posts
(1816 - unknown), near Onaman lake ?
A North West Co. post.

A Hudson's Bay Co. post was also located here (date ?).

Red Rock Post
(1875 - 1933), Red Rock
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Fort Népigon
(1684 - 1760 ?), Lake Nipigon
A French trade post built by Daniel Greysolon, sieur du Lhut, located on the northern shore of Lake Nipigon, possibly near Ombabika Bay. Also known as Fort Tourette. Still active in the 1740's.

Lake Nipigon Posts
(1785 - 1941), Lake Nipigon
A North West Co. post located on the northwestern shore of Lake Nipigon.

A Hudson's Bay Co. post was located adjacent to the NWC post (date ?), relocated to the northeastern shore in 1792 (HBC records begin 1792). Also known as Nipigon House.

Mojikit Lake Post
(unknown dates), near Mojikit Lake
An independent British trade post.

Cockenogamy Lake Post
(1804 - unknown), Kagianagami Lake
A North West Co. post.

The Hudson's Bay Co.'s Kagianagami Post was later located here (1932 - 1933).

Ogoki Lake Post
(unknown dates), Ogoki Lake
A North West Co. post on the Ogoki River.

Ogoki Post
(1932 - 1940), Ogoki
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located at the mouth of the Ogoki River on the Albany River.

Martin's Falls Post
(1790 - 1918), Marten Falls
A Hudson's Bay Co. post (HBC records begin 1794) located on the Albany River, below Gloucester House. Also known as Ernest House (?).

Gloucester House
(Albany River Provincial Park)
(1777 - 1818),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located on the Albany River.

Shewesia Post
(Albany River Provincial Park)
(1771), near Fort Hope
An independent British trade post located on the Albany River.

Iabammet Lake Post
(1809 - unknown), Eabamet Lake
A North West Co. post.

The Hudson's Bay Co. established By Lake Post here in 1810.

Fort Hope (2)
(1890 - 1941), Fort Hope
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on Eabamet Lake.

Miminiska Lake Post
(Albany River Provincial Park)
(1785 - 1786), Miminiska Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Albany River.

Fort Lac à la Carpe
(Albany River Provincial Park)
(1750 - unknown), near Osnaburgh Lake ?
A French trade post on the Albany River.

Osnaburgh House
(Albany River Provincial Park)
(1786 - 1939), Osnaburgh Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Osnaburgh Lake Post
(Albany River Provincial Park)
(unknown dates), Osnaburgh Lake
The North West Co. established a trade post here (or several), relocated/rebuilt at least five times.

Mishicogammi Post
(1760), near Pashkokogan Lake
An independent British trade post.

Pashkokogan Lake Post
(1777 - unknown), Pashkokogan Lake
A North West Co. post.

Moose Lake Posts
(1809 - unknown), near Lake Savant ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post, relocated twice.

A North West Co. post was also located here (date ?).

Allanwater Post
(1932 - 1933), Allanwater Bridge
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Savant Post
(1929 - 1938), Savant Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post. Also known as Bucke Post.

Sturgeon Lake Posts
(1779 - unknown), Sturgeon Lake
A North West Co. post, originally located on the southwest shore of the lake near O'Brien's Landing. Relocated in 1809 to the northern shore of the lake at the mouth of the Sturgeon River.

A Hudson's Bay Co. post (1779 - 1909) was originally located on the southwestern shore near the first NWC post. Probably relocated when the NWC post moved.

St. Anthony Mines Post
(1937 - 1938), near Sturgeon Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Shikag Lake Post
(unknown dates), near Shikag Lake
A North West Co. post.

Savanne Post
(1889 - 1905), near Lac des Mille Lacs
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Lac des Mille Lacs Post
(unknown dates), Lac des Mille Lacs
A North West Co. post.

Dog River Post
(unknown dates), near Dog Lake
A North West Co. post located on the Dog River, north of Dog Lake.

Fort William (Historical Park)
(1803 - 1883/1919), Thunder Bay
Fort Kaministiquia (1) was established near here in 1717 by a French officer, Zacharie Robutel, sieur de la Nouë. Also spelled Camenestiguouia. First of a projected series of bases en route to the "Western Sea", it replaced an earlier structure built in 1679/1683 - 1696 by Daniel Greysolon, sieur du Lhut, on another branch of the Kaministiquia River delta. It served as a trading post and base of operations, 1727-43, for Pierre Gaultier de la Vérendrye, the famous explorer. Following the conquest of New France in 1760 this fort was abandoned. Marker at the city hall, 500 Donald Street East.

Fort Kaministiquia (2), built a short distance downriver by the North West Company, was renamed Fort William in 1807. It was the regional headquarters of the North West Co. and later, the Hudson's Bay Co. (HBC records start in 1817). The NWC post was seized by the HBC in August 1816 after armed clashes between the two companies. The HBC's Point Meuron Post was initially the 1816 base camp used in the attack on Fort William (referenced in the HBCA's Fort William records before 1822). See also The Capture of Fort William historic plaque. The original site of Fort William was obliterated by the Canadian Pacific Railroad construction in the 1890's, after forcing the HBC to relocate trading operations. The last original structure was demolished in 1902. A 1914 stone monument is located on the original site at the foot of McTavish Street. Now located about nine miles further upstream, near Point Meuron, this is a large reconstruction of 42 replica structures and a First Nations living-history encampment. Admission fee. The cities of Fort William and Port Arthur merged in 1970 to form Thunder Bay.

Mountain Portage Post
(Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park)
(1805 - unknown), near Kakabeka Falls
A North West Co. portage post located on the Kaministiquia River, upriver from Fort William.

Nearby the Canadian Militia built Kakabeka Falls Redoubt in 1870 during the Red River Rebellion, mostly as a protection against Fenian raiders from the U.S..

Fort Bois Blanc (1)
(1750 - unknown), near Basswood Lake
A French trade post.

Bois Blanc Post (2)
(1823 - unknown), near Basswood Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Fort Lac la Croix
(1740 - unknown), Lac la Croix
A French trade post.

Pine Portage Post
(1881 - 1890), near Sapawe ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Fort St. Pierre
(1731 - 1750's, 1770's/1785 ? - 1903), Fort Frances
Originally a French fur trade wintering post built by Pierre Gaultier de Varennes, sieur de La Vérendrye, located on the southwest end of Rainy Lake, near the Rainy River outlet. It was a timber structure having two opposing gates and two bastions. Inside the fifty-pace stockade were two main buildings each of which had two rooms heated by a double fireplace. There was a store room in one of the two bastions and also a powder magazine in the enclosure. An eleveated seven-foot walkway (chemin de rounde) ran around the interior from bastion to bastion. A double row of pickets 13 feet high surrounded the buildings. A 1950's replica of the French post was once located at Pither's Point Park, but was torn down several years ago.

The North West Co. later established Fort Lac la Pluie (aka Athabaska House or Rainy Lake House) by the late 1770's (or as late as 1785 ?). Historic marker on Keating Avenue, south of Riverview Drive. The XY Company also established a post here in 1797, rebuilt/relocated in 1800 (to 1804).

The Hudson's Bay Co. established Lac la Pluie House (aka Asp House or Rainy Lake Post) in 1817 (HBC records begin 1793) to compete with the North West Company. After the two companies merged in 1821, only the HBC post continued in operation. It was renamed Fort Frances in 1830 after a visit by HBC Governor Sir George Simpson and Lady Frances Simpson. The post traded with local Ojibwa Indians for furs, wild rice, and isinglass (obtained from sturgeon). An important supply depot for expeditions traveling to the West and for early settlers in the district, Fort Frances became a HBC store in 1898 and was destroyed by fire in 1903. The Canadian Militia had garrisoned the post in 1870 during the Red River Rebellion. Historic marker located on the south side of 3rd Street West (Highway 11) just west of Central Avenue. Of interest in town is the (City of) Fort Frances Museum at 259 Scott Street. See also Fort Frances History from Virtual Museum of Canada

French explorer Jacques de Noyon built a wintering post (Noyon's Post) in 1668 - 1669 near here, a historic marker is located at the Rainy Lake Lookout on the Noden Causeway (Highway 11).

The first fortified French post on Rainy Lake was Fort Tekamanigan, built by Robutel de la Noue in 1717, but soon abandoned, probably because of Sioux hostility.

Rainy River Post
(1794 - unknown), Rainy River
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Hungry Hall Post
(1890), near Rainy River
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located at the mouth of the Rainy River at Lake of the Woods.

Whitefish Bay Post
(1824 - unknown), Whitefish Bay
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Ash Falls Post
(1798 - 1799), Lake of the Woods
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located on the Auineau Peninsula west of Sioux Narrows.

Rat Portage Post
(1836 - 1897/1918), Kenora
On Old Fort Island 0.8 km north of town, the Hudson's Bay Company erected a stockaded fur trading post about 1836. This was the first known European structure within the present community. In 1861 the post was moved to the mainland, where it formed the nucleus of the community of Rat Portage (renamed in 1905). Situated on the main canoe route to the West, the post was visited by many people prominent in Canada's history, including Sir George Simpson, Sir John Henry Lefroy, Paul Kane, Captain John Palliser, Simon James Dawson and Colonel Garnet Wolseley. The post (HBC records cover 1849 - 1897), which in its later years became a general store (aka Kenora Post), was closed in 1918. Historic marker located in the parking area of McLeod Park on the north side of Highway 17, at the east end of the first bridge west of downtown.

Keewatin Post
(1889 - 1891), Keewatin
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Shoal Lake Post
(1831 - unknown), Shoal Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Dalles Posts
(1822 - 1834), near Minaki ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post (HBC records begin 1832).

A North West Co. post was also located nearby (date ?).

Minaki Post
(1932 - 1933), Minaki
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Portage de l'Isle Posts ?
(1789 - unknown), near Minaki
A North West Co. post on the portage between the English and Winnipeg Rivers, bypassing Caribou Falls on the English River.

A Hudson's Bay Co. post was also located here in 1793 - 1795.

A small French post may have been located here in 1750.

Whitedog Post
(1890 - 1909), Whitedog
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Escabitchewan Posts ?
(1792 - 1824),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the English River, north/northeast of Minaki. Possibly relocated in 1796. Also known as Lake Burdingno Post.

A North West Co. post was located nearby (date ?).

A French trade post may have earlier been located here (date ?), according to the "National Atlas of Canada" (1974).

Wipenaban Posts
(1816 - unknown),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located just north of Escabitchewan Post.

A North West Co. post was located nearby (date ?).

Grassy Narrows Post
(1932 - 1941), Grassy Narrows
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Fort Vermilion
(1800's), Vermilion Bay
A modern-day amusement and recreational centre built to resemble a typical Hudson's Bay Co. post. A North West Co. post was once located 50 yards away from the HBC post. An armed conflict between the two posts occurred in September 1809.

Eagle Lake Post (3)
(1892 - 1902), Eagle Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Dinorwic Post
(1888 - 1940), Dinorwic
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Sioux Lookout Post
(1932 - 1933), Sioux Lookout
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Hudson Post
(1932 - 1933), Hudson
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Lac Seul Posts
(1789 - unknown), Lac Seul
A North West Co. post.

Several independent British trade posts were also located on the lake (dates ?).

The Hudson's Bay Co. established or relocated several posts around the lake from 1803 - 1941.

Pine Ridge Post
(1932 - 1938), near Ear Falls ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post at the western end of Lac Seul.

Trout Lake Posts (3) (5)
(unknown dates), Trout Lake
A North West Co. post was originally located here (date ?).

A Hudson's Bay Co. post, possibly a relocation from an earlier site near the NWC post, was located here by 1860.

Red Lake Posts
(1780's - unknown), Red Lake
A North West Co. post, relocated in 1789.

In 1790 the Hudson's Bay Company set up a trading post on Red Lake in order to compete more effectively with the North West Company that had been trading in the area for several years. Closed, reopened and relocated numerous times, the post was finally located in the town of Red Lake in 1933 (HBC records end 1933). Historic marker located in front of the municipal offices at 117 Howey Street (Highway 618), north of Goldshore Road.

Gammon River Posts
(Woodland Caribou Provincial Park)
(unknown dates), near Gammon Lake ?
A North West Co. post and a Hudson's Bay Co. post were located along the Gammon River, west of Red Lake.

Bad Lake Posts
(Woodland Caribou Provincial Park)
(1792 - unknown),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post, probably located on the Bloodvein River.

A North West Co. post was also located here in 1792.

Duck Lake Post
(1798 - 1799),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post, probably located northwest of Trout Lake.

Fly Lake Posts
(1785 - 1798),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post, relocated or rebuilt in 1794.

A North West Co. post was also located here in 1795.

Crow Nest Lake Posts
(1783 - unknown),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

A North West Co. post was located nearby in 1786.

An independent British trade post was also located here (date ?).

Gull's Lake Posts
(1815 - unknown),
A North West Co. post.

A Hudson's Bay Co. post was located nearby (date ?).

Cat Lake Posts
(1786 - unknown), Cat Lake
A North West Co. post, relocated in 1815.

An independent British trade post was also located here (date ?).

A Hudson's Bay Co. post was located nearby from 1788 - 1941, relocated at least once.

Attawapiskat Lake Posts
(Otoskwin - Attawapiskat River Provincial Park)
(1811 - unknown), near Lansdowne House
A North West Co. post.

A Hudson's Bay Co. post was located nearby in 1814 - 1815. Ruins may still exist.

Lansdowne House
(1932 - 1940), Lansdowne House
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Winisk River Post
(1833 - 1834), near Wapikopa Lake ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located on the Winisk River. Also known as Fort Concord.

Badger River House
(1819 - unknown), near Summer Beaver ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located on the Winisk River.

Paint Lake Post
(1779 - unknown), near Wunnummin Lake ?
A North West Co. post located on the Winisk River.

Vermilion Lake Post
(1814 - unknown), near Wunnummin Lake ?
A North West Co. post located on or near the Pipestone River.

Beaver Lake House
(1808 - 1809), near Kingfisher Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located on the Pipestone River.

Located here (or nearby) later was the HBC's Big Beaver House (1939).

Weeneshaw Lake Posts
(1814 - unknown), near Shibogama Lake ?
A North West Co. post located on the Asheweig River.

A Hudson's Bay Co. post was located nearby in 1815.

Pekangekum Post
(1939), Pikangikum
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Berens River.

Sandy Point Lake Post
(1860 - unknown), near Poplar Hill ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Berens River.

Sandy Narrows Post
(1800 - 1810),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post (HBC records begin 1807) on the Berens River.

A North West Co. post was also located nearby (date ?).

Eagle Lake Posts (1) (2)
(1794 - unknown),
A North West Co. post located on the Berens River.

A Hudson's Bay Co. post was also located nearby (1805 - 1812).

Deer Lake Posts
(unknown dates), near Deer Lake
A North West Co. post was originally located here (date ?).

A Hudson's Bay Co. post was later located here (1929 - 1941).

Windy Lake Post
(1802 - unknown),
A Hudson's Bay Co. post located on the Severn River below Deer Lake.

Sandy Lake Posts
(1798 - 1801), near Sandy Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post on the Severn River.

A North West Co. post was also located nearby in 1798, relocated in 1819.

Sachigo Lake Post
(unknown dates), near Sachigo Lake
A North West Co. post located on the south shore of Sachigo Lake.

Bearskin Lake Post
(1937 - 1941), Bearskin Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post.

Severn Lake Posts
(Severn River Provincial Park)
(1772, 1793 - unknown), Severn Lake
An independent British trade post was originally located here.

A North West Co. post was established here in 1793.

Trout Lake Posts (1) (2)
(1807 - 1941), Big Trout Lake
A Hudson's Bay Co. post originally located on the western shore of the lake, relocated in 1850 to the northen shore of the lake at Kitchenuhmaykoosib. Also known as Beaver Lodge Post.

A North West Co. post was located on the southern or western shore of the lake (date ?).

Wire Lake Post
(Fawn River Provincial Park)
(1889 - 1890), near Wapekeka ?
A Hudson's Bay Co. post, located on the Fawn River ?.

Weenusk Post
(1903 - 1940), near Peawanuck
A Hudson's Bay Co. post at the mouth of the Winisk River.

Fort Severn
(1685 - 1713 ?, 1759 - 1941), Fort Severn
A Hudson's Bay Co. post, originally known as Fort James, at the mouth of the Severn River on the Hudson Bay. It was a log fort with four bastions. It was under French control, known as Fort Ste. Thérèse or Fort Neuve-Savane, from October 1689 - 1693, and 1694 - 1713. Relocated and renamed in 1759 (HBC records begin 1759). Also known as Severn Post.


Southern Ontario (West) - page 1 | Southern Ontario (East) - page 2 | Northern Ontario (East) - page 3

QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com