Fort Augusta |
Bevier's House |
Cochecton Post |
Cole's Fort |
Fort Decker |
Fort Delaware | Lower Fort Delaware | Upper Fort Delaware | Fort DePuy | Fort Devens
Fort DeWitt | Deyo's Hill Blockhouse | Dolson's Blockhouse | Fort Gardiner | Gumaer's Fort
Camp Holley | Fort Jersey | Kerhonkson Indian Fort | Kimber's Fort | Fort Minisink
Fort Neversink | New Fort | Fort New Jersey | Roosa's Fort | Sayer's Blockhouse
Fort Shandaken | Van Auken's Fort | Van Tuyle's Fort | Wawarsing Fort | Fort Westbrook
Northeastern NY - page 1 | Mohawk River Valley - page 2 | Hudson River Valley - page 3
New York City I - page 5 | New York City II - page 6 | New York City III - page 7
Long Island - page 8 | Western New York - page 9 | Northwestern New York - page 10
NEW YORK'S FORTS AND MILITARY HISTORY
NEW YORK'S INDEPENDENCE TRAIL
A Civil War training camp located on the "Flats". Marker at the courthouse.
(1663), Shandaken Township, Ulster County
A Dutch settlers' fort along upper Esopus Creek that was attacked by Indians in September 1663. Marker located one mile south of the Old Shawangunk Church.
(1778 - unknown), Shandaken Township, Ulster County
A local militia log stockade built around the Jacob Longyear house, used as a refuge for area settlers and as a base for militia attacks against the Indians. A new state marker (erected after 1995) is located on NY 28 near Mount Pleasant.
Kerhonkson Indian Fort
(1663 ?), Kerhonkson
An Esopus Indian fortification on Rondout Creek. Found abandoned by Dutch soldiers in July 1663 after the Indian attacks on Wiltwyck and New Dorp (Hurley) in June.
Deyo's Hill Blockhouse
(1757 - 1764), near Pine Bush, Rochester Township, Ulster County
One of a chain of militia blockhouses built by Capt. James Clinton. Site located near US 209, north of Kerhonkson.
A settlers' stone fort for protection against the Indians, located on a knoll about 400 feet east of the state marker on US 209 in town.
Abram Bevier's House
A settlers' house that had an old cannon for defense against Indian raids. Marker on US 209.
(1862), Kiamesha Lake
A Civil War training camp located northeast of Monticello.
(1750's), near Roosa Gap
A settlers' fort or blockhouse, originally built in 1731 by Abraham Roosa or son Jacob. Still extant, located on Roosa Gap Road and Pickles Road, on the east side of Shawangunk (Bloomingburg) Mountain. It is supposedly the oldest building in the county. See also History of Mamakating Township from Sullivan County Historical Society
One of Capt. Clinton's chain of blockhouses, located one and one-half miles north of town. Still extant, it has a later-built addition. Now owned by the family that owns/operates the Wurtsboro Airport.
A settlers' fort or blockhouse built by Tjerck Van Keuren Westbrook. Still extant (?), it was recently used as a restaurant. See also History of Mamakating Township from Sullivan County Historical Society
NOTE: not to be confused with Anthony Westbrook's Fort (1750's) located in Montague, New Jersey.
Isaac Dolson's Blockhouse
A fortified log home, originally built in 1735. Rebuilt as a stone house in the 1750's. A blockhouse was also built here in 1757 under orders of Capt. James Clinton.
John Van Tuyle's Fort
(1771 - unknown), Greenville Township, Orange County
A settlers' stone fort. The structure was roofed over in 1791 for use as a house. Exact location undetermined, presumably on Fort Van Tyle Road, north of I-84.
(1756 - unknown), Gardnerville
A NJ colonial militia 100-foot square palisaded fort with two guns, enclosing the main house and five other structures, located 12 miles from Cole's Fort. Built by Capt. Richard Gardiner. The spelling of the town's name was altered later.
George Kimber's Fort
(1759 ?), Unionville
A settlers' fort and mill. Kimber settled here in 1759.
Daniel Sayer's Blockhouse ?
(1768- 1783), Warwick
A settlers' log blockhouse or cabin, built in 1768, located one mile east of town. Possibly fortified during the American Revolution.
¤ Minisink Area Forts
(NOTE: This area was claimed by New Jersey until 1769. Port Jervis was originally known as Minisink until the building of the Delaware and Hudson Canal.)
¤ Fort Decker
(1779), Port Jervis
A fortified stone farmhouse originally built by Isaac Decker in 1760, considered to be the strongest defense in the village. Stockaded by Maj. Martinus Decker in 1779. All buildings save this one were burned by the British in the July 1779 "Battle at Minisink Ford". The current structure was built in 1793. The Minisink Valley Historical Society owns the house, at 127 West Main Street.
See also Minisink Battleground Park from Sullivan County Dept. of Parks and Recreation
¤ Daniel Van Auken's Fort
(1779), Port Jervis
A settlers' blockhouse located two miles east of town on Neversink Drive. It withstood the British raid in July 1779.
¤ Wilhelmus Cole's Fort ?
(1755, 1779 ?), Port Jervis
A fortified settlers' home (built areound 1730) with two blockhouses inside a palisade, located at Jersey Ave. and East Main Street (site now elementary school). Used by the New Jersey colonial militia. May have been used in the American Revolution by Patriot forces.
¤ Fort Neversink
(1756), Port Jervis
Located at the Delaware and Neversink Rivers at East Main Street and New Jersey Ave.. Also known as Fort Minisink, or Fort New Jersey. (same as Cole's Fort ?)
¤ Fort Augusta
(1755), near Port Jervis
A British fort on the Delaware River.
¤ Fort Jersey
(1776 - 1780's), near Port Jervis
A blockhouse two miles from town at Mohochamack Fork on the Delaware River. Torn down about 1790.
¤ Fort DeWitt
(1757), Deerpark Township
A local militia blockhouse located on Denansink Creek, built by Capt. James Clinton on the land of Jacob DeWitt. It may have survived until 1787.
¤ Fort DePuy
(1757), Deerpark Township ?
A local militia blockhouse built by Capt. Clinton on the land of Benjamin DePuy. Undetermined location.
¤ Gumaer's Fort
(1755 - 1765, 1778 - 1779), near Huguenot
A stockaded and fortified stone house that was also in use during the American Revolution to protect 105 settlers during a Tory attack in October 1778. Located on Pioneer Hill north of town.
(1761 - 1763), Cocheton
A settlers' stockade built around three log cabins, also known as Upper Fort Delaware. Located near the mouth of Callicoon Creek. The settlement was originally named Cushetunk. Attacked by Lenape Indians in 1763. This area was considered part of New Jersey until 1769.
Lower Fort Delaware (1755 - 1763), the primary post, was actually located across the river in Milanville, PA, at the mouth of Calkins Creek. (see PENNSYLVANIA page 2) It was attacked and burned by Lenape Indians in 1763. The present structure in Narrowsburg, the Fort Delaware Museum of Colonial History, is a 1957 reproduction of the Lower Fort, containing three cabins, four blockhouses, and a colonial garden. Admission fee.
NEED MORE INFO: Fort Hill in Goshen Hills, Goshen Township, Orange County.
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com