Southeastern Colorado

Camp at Altman | Fort Amity | Camp Anaconda | Camp Anderson
Camp on the Arkansas River (1) | Camp on the Arkansas River (2)
Camp on the Arkansas River (3) | Autobees' Ranch/Plaza | Camp Baxter | Beaubois Fort
Fort Bent (1) | Bent's Fort (1) | Bent's Fort (2) | Bent's New Fort | Bent's Old Fort
Bent's Stockade (3) | Camp Berwind | Fort Big Spring | Post at Booneville | Camp Brown
Camp Bull Hill | Buzzards' Roost | Camp Caldwell | Camp Canby | Fort Canby
Cañon City Camp | Carson's Fort | Camp Cass | Fort Cass | Cheyenne Wells | Camp Clark
Camp Cobb | Camp Colorado | Fort Colorado | Colorado City Fort | Fort Craig | Camp Crane
Camp Curtis (2) | Fort Curtis | Fort DeReemer | Dora Fort | Camp Downing | Camp Elkton
Camp El Paso | Camp Engleville | Camp Evans (1) | Camp Fillmore | Fort Fisher
R. Fisher's Fort | Camp Fountain qui Bouille | Fowler's Lookout / Stockade | Fort Francisco
Francisco Plaza | Frémont's Fort | Gantt's Fort/Post | Camp Golden Cycle | Gray's Ranch
Camp Gunter | Camp Hastings | Fort Henderson | Fort Holly | Camp Hope (2) | Fort Huerfano
Camp Independence | Fort Independence | Innes' Stockade | Camp at Iron Springs | Jink's Fort
Camp Johnson | Fort Juana | Post at Kit Carson | Fort Leche | Fort LeDoux | Fort LeDuc
Camp Libby | Camp Lincoln | Camp Logan | Camp Ludlow | (Old) Fort Lyon | New Fort Lyon
Camp McKay | McShane's Fort | Madrid Plaza | Marcy's Camp | Fort Maurice | Milk Fort
Camp Monument Dell | Mormon Colony Winter Camp | Fort (El) Moro | Fort Nepesta
Camp at Nine-Mile Bottoms | Old Stone Fort | Camp Palmer Lake | Pike's Stockade (1)
Station on Pike's Peak | Camp Pleasant Valley | Point of Rocks (2) | Fort El Puebla
Camp at Pueblo | Fort Pueblo | Post of Pueblo | Pueblo Almagre | Quick Ranch Fort
Fort Reynolds | Fort Rice | Camp on Rio Las Animas | Camp Ross
Fort at Sangre de Cristo Pass | Camp Segundo | Sharp's Trading Fort/Post | Camp Sopris (2)
Spanish Fort | Fort Spaulding | Camp Splitrock | Spring Bottom Station | Camp Starkville
Fort Stevens | Fort Talpa | Camp Tappan | Camp Thompson | Fort Tilla | Camp Trinidad (2)
Post at Trinidad (1) | Camp Victor | Camp Walsenburg | Walsenburg Fort
Fort Washington (2) | Fort William (1) | Fort William (2) | Wilson's Houses | Fort Wise
Wolf Den Trade Post | Camp Wynkoop | Young Ranch

Northeastern Colorado - page 1 | Western Colorado - page 2

FORTS AND FIGHTS OF THE MOUNTAIN WEST

FORT WIKI - COLORADO

Last Update: 12/SEPTEMBER/2020
Compiled by Pete Payette - ©2020 American Forts Network

Frémont's Fort
(1843), near Peyton
A natural butte located northeast of town that served as a temporary defensive location during John Frémont's 1843 exploratory expedition.

Quick Ranch Fort
(1868), Palmer Lake
Ben Quick's stockaded ranch compound and house (1861), just north of Perry Park, located at 6695 West Plum Creek Road. Also known as Fort Washington (2). The entire population of West Plum Creek Valley forted up here for nearly two months.

Camp Palmer Lake
(1910), Palmer Lake
A CO National Guard (2nd Infantry) camp of instruction.

David McShane's Fort
(Palmer Lake Historical Society)
(1865 - 1868), near Monument
A settler's small circular stone fortification about two miles south of Palmer Lake. Rock ruins remain next to a 1870 stone house. A monument (1950) is located on Davidson Street, off of CO 105 near the railroad overpass between Monument and Palmer Lake. Also known as Old Stone Fort.

Camp Monument Dell
(1869), Monument
A temporary Army encampment located at Henry Station, about four miles south of Palmer Lake.

Camp Hope (2)
(1858), near Colorado Springs
A settlers' / gold prospectors' camp located on the west bank of Monument Creek in the fall of 1858. Undetermined exact location.

Camp Colorado
(1862), Colorado Springs
A CO Cavalry (1st Regiment) headquarters camp (January-February, November-December 1862) located on Camp Creek about two miles above the present-day downtown area, and one-half mile from the "Garden of the Gods". Detachments were posted at various critical points along Fountain Creek. Colorado City, as the town was then known, was the Territorial capital in 1861-62. The old town became West Colorado Springs in 1917.

Colorado City Fort
(1864 - 1868), Colorado Springs
A civilian log stockade built around the Anway Hotel for protection against Indian raids. The CO Cavalry also briefly occupied the post in 1864. Also known as Fort Colorado. A monument (1936) is located at 2818 West Pikes Peak Avenue. The plaque was reported stolen in January 2012.

Camp Cobb
(1862), near Colorado Springs
A CO Cavalry (1st Regiment, Company E) camp (January-February 1862) located on Fountain Creek about four miles below the city.

Camp Cass
(1862), near Colorado Springs
A CO Cavalry (1st Regiment, Company K) camp (January-February 1862) located on Fountain Creek about six miles below the city.

Camp Evans (1)
(1862), El Paso County
A CO Cavalry encampment (December 1862). Also known as Camp Fountain qui Bouille. Location undetermined, possibly near "Hull's Ranch" (?)

Station on Pike's Peak
(1873 - 1888, intermittant), near Manitou Springs
A small Army detachment was posted on Pike's Peak over various periods to operate a signal station.

Camp Bull Hill
(1903), Teller County
A CO National Guard encampment during a miners' strike.

Camp at Altman
(1903), Altman, near Cripple Creek
A CO National Guard encampment to control striking gold miners near Cripple Creek.

Camp Anaconda
(1903 - 1904), Anaconda, near Cripple Creek
A CO National Guard encampment to control striking miners near Cripple Creek.

Camp Golden Cycle
(1903), near Cripple Creek
A CO National Guard encampment to control striking miners near Cripple Creek.

Camp Elkton
(1903), Elkton, near Cripple Creek
A CO National Guard encampment to protect against striking miners near Cripple Creek.

Camp El Paso
(1903), near Cripple Creek
A CO National Guard encampment to protect against striking miners near Cripple Creek.

Camp Independence
(1903 - 1904), Independence, near Cripple Creek
A CO National Guard encampment to protect against striking miners near Cripple Creek.

Camp Libby
(1903 - 1904), near Cripple Creek
A CO National Guard camp to guard against striking miners.

Camp Victor
(1903 - 1904), Victor
A CO National Guard encampment to protect the mines and miners during a strike.

Pike's Stockade (1)
(1806), Cañon City
A log storehouse or blockhouse built on the west bank of Sand Creek at the start of winter (November), before Pike's Stockade (2) was built near present-day Sanford. Two men were left here with supplies until the Spanish captured them, along with the others at Pike's Stockade (2), in January 1807 (see also CO page 2). D.A.R. monument (1922) located on US 50 west of town near the old state prison guard tower.

Cañon City Camp
(1863 - 1864), Cañon City
A CO Cavalry encampment used intermittently (March-April, July-August 1863, February-April 1864) by various units.

Fort DeReemer
(1879), near Cañon City
A series of small stone "forts" located in the Royal Gorge, especially at Mileposts 24 and 37 above the mouth of the canyon, built by the crews of the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad to keep away the Santa Fe Railroad crews.

Fort Maurice
(late 1830's), near Florence
A short-lived octagonal pine-log trading post originally known as Fort LeDuc (Ledoux) was located on Adobe Creek (a tributary of Hardscrabble Creek) along the Hardscrabble Trail, built by French-Canadian trader Maurice LeDuc (Ledoux). Mexicano settlers located at the mouth of Hardscrabble Creek took refuge in LeDuc's fort in 1838 during Indian troubles. Traces of the fort's well are located on private property west of a marker on CO 67 about seven miles south of town.

Buzzards' Roost
(1842 - 1847), near Florence
An adobe trade post on Adobe Creek, a small tributary of what was later named Hardscrabble Creek. Located on the east side of the Wet Mountains, about four or five miles south of town. Built by Maurice LeDuc, William LeBlanc, and a few other French-Canadian trappers. By 1843 the post pretty much became LeDuc's personal dwelling and no longer a trade post per se. A free trapper and scratch farmer settlement called Hardscrabble was founded in 1844 nearby on Hardscrabble Creek, by many of the same men who built Fort Pueblo in 1842. Both the post and nearby settlement were abandoned in 1847. LeDuc and his sons returned to live here for a short time in 1860 before moving on again.

Dora Fort
(1848 - 1849), Dora
A small supply fort built by American traders at the head of Grape Creek Canyon. Site now underwater at the DeWeese Reservoir near Westcliffe.

Kit Carson's Fort
(unknown dates), near Westcliffe
A fortification built for protection against Indians, located in the Wet Mountain Valley on the south side of a granite rock promontory north of town.

Camp Anderson
(1864), El Paso or Pueblo Counties
A CO Cavalry camp (July 1864) located on Fountain Creek. Exact site undetermined (18 miles from Camp Wynkoop).

Camp Wynkoop
(1864), El Paso or Pueblo Counties
A CO Cavalry (1st Regiment, Company F) camp (May-June 1864) located on Fountain Creek. Exact site undetermined (18 miles from Camp Anderson).

Jink's Fort
(1864), near Pinon
A settlers' fort, probably located about five miles north of town, one mile south of the El Paso County line.

Young Ranch
(1860's), Pueblo County ?
William Young's ranch compound occupied by the CO Cavalry (unit ?, date ?), located along Fountain Creek in Young Hollow (location ?).

Wolf Den Trading Post ?
(1840's), Pueblo County
An early trading post. Unknown location.


¤¤ PUEBLO FORTS

¤¤ Fort Pueblo
(Pueblo County Historical Society)
(1842 - 1854), Pueblo
A 60-yard square (possibly circular ?) adobe trading post established by American "free" trappers (some former employees of the American Fur Company), located on the north side of the Arkansas River just west of the mouth of Fountain Creek. Also known variously as Pueblo Almagre, Fort Nepesta, Fort Spaulding, Fort Juana, and/or Robert Fisher's Fort (Fort Fisher). Utes attacked and killed nearly everyone on December 25, 1854. A near full-size reconstruction is located at the El Pueblo Museum at 301 North Union Avenue, and a commemorative monument is located just south of City Hall, at 1st and Court Streets. See also Malachite's Big Hole

The CO Cavalry (2nd Regiment, Company K) was posted here in December 1862.

Jacob Fowler's Stockade (January 1822) and horse corral was earlier erected in the near vicinity, with partner Hugh Glenn on their upper Arkansas River trapping expedition. Also commonly known as Fowler's Lookout. A stone monument is located at Joplin and Damson in East Pueblo.

¤¤ Fort Independence
(1846 - 1847), Pueblo
A Mormon Battalion log fort that served as a winter camp for the sick and infirmed, and family dependents. Also known as Camp at Pueblo. Later provided refuge for the first group of Mormon emigrants that travelled west in advance of the "Pioneer Band", known also as the Mormon Colony Winter Camp. Located south of Fort Pueblo, about "a half-hour's ride" (by horse), about one mile below the mouth of Fountain Creek on the south side of the Arkansas River. No remains. A monument (1946) is located at Locust Street and Stanton Ave., behind the Runyon baseball field.

¤¤ Post of Pueblo
(1867), Pueblo
A U.S. Army garrison post located north of the old town center. Abandoned when Fort Reynolds was built nearby.

¤¤ Camp Gunter
(1917), Pueblo
Mobilization camp for the 2nd Infantry Regiment, Colorado National Guard. Location unknown.


Camp Canby
(1864), near Pueblo
A CO Cavalry (1st Regiment, Company C) camp (May-August 1864) located about five miles east of town. Possibly also known as Fort Canby. Also said to be located 13 miles from Camp Lincoln.

Camp Lincoln
(1864), near Pueblo ?
A CO Cavalry (1st Regiment, Company C) camp (July-August 1864) said to be located 13 miles from Camp Canby. Undetermined location.

John Gantt's Fort
(1832 - 1834), near Baxter
A fur trade post built in the fall of 1832 originally located on the north bank of the Arkansas River near Fountain Creek, in present-day Pueblo. It was also known as Gantt's Post. Jefferson Blackwell was Gantt's trading partner here at the time. Kit Carson spent the winter of 1832-33 here, as did Gantt and his trapping brigade. Originally a cottonwood log stockade with several log cabins, it was relocated in May 1834 from its original location to five or six miles east of town (about three miles west of Fort William (1)), rebuilt with adobe and renamed Fort Cass before it was abandoned later that year. Many trappers continued to call it Gantt's Fort, however.

Camp Baxter
(1864), Baxter
A CO Cavalry encampment (July-August, October 1864) along the Arkansas River at Baxter's Ranch.

Fort William (1)
(1831 - 1833), near Devine
The Bent and St. Vrain Co. built their original log stockade fur trade post in the fall of 1831 on the north bank of the Arkansas River about nine (or ten ?) miles east of Fountain Creek, but later abandoned it when they completed their new adobe-walled trade post near present-day La Junta, which also carried the "Fort William" name initially (see Bent's Fort below). Although Fort William (1) was actually William Bent's first fort, it was his second fort, Bent's Fort, that would later become known as Bent's "Old" Fort.

Fort Tilla
(early 1860's), near Devine
A settlers' fort (pre-1864) apparently located 11 miles east of Fountain Creek on the north bank of the Arkansas River (south of Highway US 50).

Fort Reynolds
(1867 - 1872), Avondale
A Regular Army adobe fort located on the south side of the Arkansas River, about three miles above the mouth of the Huerfano River. First called (Col. Randolph) Marcy's Camp while the fort was being built (July 1867). Replaced Post of Pueblo. A monument (1932) is on US 50 about one mile east of town. Faint traces of rock wall lines are located on private property behind the marker.

Fort Henderson
(unknown dates), near Avondale
A settlers' fort located on the south side of the Arkansas River just upstream from the mouth of the Huerfano River.

Camp Curtis (2)
(1863), near Boone
A CO Cavalry (1st Regiment, Company C) post (November 1863) located near the mouth of the Huerfano River. Possibly at or near Fort Huerfano. A military post (Fort Curtis ?) was proposed for the western edge of the Arapaho Indian Reservation along the Arkansas River in March 1863.

Fort Huerfano ?
(1840's ?, 1850's), near Boone
A Mexicano adobe-walled fort with two heavy-timbered circular towers, located on the Huerfano River about six miles south of Avondale.

Autobees' Ranch or Plaza was located at or near the mouth of the Huerfano River in 1853, established by Charles Autobees who first settled here in 1845. Probably the same as above.

Camp Fillmore
(1863 - 1867), near Boone
A Colorado Volunteer Cavalry encampment on the Arkansas River, established by March 1863. Also known as Camp on the Arkansas River (3) (August 1864). It was apparently moved several times, the last site was about two miles west of town. No remains. The camp was also variously reported to be located about 20 miles west of the Spring Bottom stage station (date ?); 50 miles west of Spring Bottom Station (July 1863); 10 miles below Boone's Ranch (May 1864); and in June 1865 it was one-half mile from Booneville. Other locations were reported as well. Possibly also known as Post at Booneville (January-June 1865) (1st Regiment, Company F).

Innes' Stockade
(1864), near Boone
A settlers' fort located east of Booneville.

Fort Rice
(early 1860's - 1876), Pueblo County
A settlers' fort for protection against Indians. Unknown location.

Camp on the Arkansas River (1)
(1861), near Fowler ?
A CO Cavalry (1st Regiment, Company B) encampment (November-December 1861) reportedly located on the north bank of the river 75 miles west of Fort Wise.

Camp Logan
(1861), near Fowler ?
A CO Cavalry (1st Regiment, Companies B and H) camp (November-December 1861) reportedly located about 75 miles west of Fort Wise. Same as above ?

Spring Bottom Station
(1863 - 1864), near Rocky Ford
A CO Cavalry (1st Regiment, Company L) post (July 1863, May 1864, October 1864) located at a stage station on the Arkansas River just above town.

Point of Rocks (2)
(1864), near La Junta
A stage station located on the Arkansas River 50 miles west of Old Fort Lyon, just northwest of town, garrisoned by the CO Cavalry (1st Regiment, Company M) in January-February 1864. The Upper Arkansas Indian Agency had also relocated here at that time from Old Fort Lyon.

Fort El Puebla
(late 1830's), Otero County
Also called Milk Fort or Fort Leche. A series of single-story adobe dwellings arranged in a square around an enclosed courtyard, which also served as a night corral for livestock. A short-lived settlement of American fur trappers, Mexican mestizos and Indians, originally called Pueblo de Leche ("Milk Town") due to the large herd of milk goats, in addition to sheep, cattle, horses, and mules. Exact location undetermined, but reportedly several miles west of Bent's Old Fort. It was already a flourishing community when described by American journalist Thomas J. Farnham in 1839.
(NOTE: not to be confused with Fort Pueblo in the City of Pueblo)

Camp at Iron Springs
(1864), Otero County
A CO Cavalry (1st Regiment, Company K) camp (May-June 1864). Undetermined location.

Camp on the Arkansas River (2)
(1863), near Bent's Old Fort
A CO Cavalry (2nd Regiment, Company B) encampment (January-February 1863) reportedly located 35 miles from Camp Caldwell.

Another CO Cavalry (unit ?) camp (1863 ?) was also reportedly located near Bent's Old Fort that was 33 miles from Camp Caldwell (at King's Ferry ?).

Bent's (Old) Fort (National Historic Park)
(Cultural Landscape Interpretation)
(1833 - 1849, 1862), near La Junta
This was an adobe-walled trading post built by the Bent and St. Vrain Company, located about 12 miles upstream from the mouth of the Purgatoire River, in an area then known as the "Short Timbers". Originally named Fort William (2), this post replaced the first Fort William (1) that was located just east of Pueblo. It later became known as (William) Bent's Fort (1), or Fort Bent (1). The U.S. Army used the fort as a supply base during the Mexican War. Became part of the three-post Upper Platte and Arkansas Indian Agency in 1846 (with Fort Laramie, WY, and Fort St. Vrain, CO), serving the Southern Cheyenne tribe. It was abandoned and blown up by William Bent (August 1849) after a failed attempt to sell it to the U.S. Army, and a cholera epidemic that nearly wiped out the local Indians who traded with Bent. The abandoned adobe ruins became a stage stop in 1861, and was briefly garrisoned by the CO Cavalry (2nd Regiment, Company F) in December 1862. It became known as Bent's "Old Fort" only after William Bent built his "New Fort" at the "Big Timbers" (near Wiley) in 1852. The adobe fort was first reconstructed in the 1930's, and rebuilt again in 1975. This site was considered the first permanent white settlement in the state. See also Malachite's Big Hole

Camp Ross
(1862), near La Junta ?
A CO Cavalry (1st Regiment, Company E) encampment (November-December 1862) along the Arkansas River near Bent's Old Fort.

William Bent's Stockade (3)
(1859 - 1860), near Las Animas
William Bent's last trading post, located on the south side of the Arkansas River just west (upstream) of the mouth of the Purgatoire River. Bent had temporarily relocated his operations here while he rented out his "New Fort" to the U.S. Army because of sagging revenues. By 1861 Bent had fully retired from the trade business and relocated with one of his daughters to his ranch on the upper Purgatoire River, where he died in 1869.

Camp at Nine-Mile Bottoms
(1860's), near Las Animas
A temporary camp of the CO Cavalry located on the Purgatoire River, presumably nine miles upstream from the Arkansas River.

Fort Lyon
(1853 - 1867/1889), Fort Lyon
This was originally the trading post known as (William) Bent's Fort (2), or Bent's New Fort, on the north bank of the Arkansas River in an area known as the "Big Timbers", eight miles west of Lamar, near Wiley and just north of Prowers. Bent had relocated his trading operations in 1852 to about four miles east of Mud Creek (east of Caddoa), consisting of only several log cabins, but it was soon replaced with a more permanent sandstone-walled fort in the summer of 1853, which was actually slightly smaller than the adobe compound at Bent's Old Fort. The fort was leased to the Federal government beginning in July 1857, but Bent could never get the government to buy him out outright. The Army named the post Fort Wise in August 1860 when several permanent barracks and other buildings were built outside of the fort proper on the west side. The Army renamed the post again in June 1862. Garrisoned during the Civil War by various units of the Colorado Volunteer Cavalry and Infantry, as well as one company of the 1st New Mexico Cavalry. The Upper Arkansas Indian Agency was located here from 1855 - 1864. The Sand Creek Massacre occurred north of here, just north of present-day Chivington, in November 1864. The original site of the fort still has discernible soil depressions, but no above ground structures or markers.

In June 1867 the Army garrison moved upstream about 20 miles west to its present site (New Fort Lyon) because of river flooding and extensive bank erosion. A January 1869 state ordinance regarding the Fort Lyon Bridge references the fort as "Fort Craig". After it was later abandoned by the Army, the post later became the U.S. Naval Hospital, Fort Lyon from 1906 to 1922. Became a V.A. Hospital in 1934, which used most of the original post buildings then still standing. Became the Fort Lyon State Correctional Facility in 2001 for special-needs inmates. The adjacent Fort Lyon National Cemetery and the Kit Carson Chapel are open to the public. The state closed down the prison facility in late 2011, future status uncertain.

Camp Caldwell
(1862), near McClave
A CO Cavalry (1st Regiment, Company C) post (December 1862) located on the Arkansas River about eight miles above Old Fort Lyon, 35 miles east of Bent's Old Fort.

Camp Clark
(1862), near McClave
A CO Cavalry (1st Regiment, Companies C and E) post (September-October 1862) located six miles west of Old Fort Lyon.

Camp McKay
(1862), unknown location
A CO Cavalry camp (November 1862) located somewhere on the Arkansas River, in the area around either Bent's Old Fort or Old Fort Lyon (undetermined location).

Wilson's Houses
(1843), near Wiley
Albert G. Wilson operated a trading post on the Arkansas River at the "Big Timbers" in 1843. Unknown exact location.

Camp Crane
(1860's), near Holly
A CO Cavalry camp reportedly located 48 miles below old Fort Lyon, probably just west of town.

Fort Amity
(1898 - 1908), near Holly
A Salvation Army road camp and canteen located four miles west of town.

Fort Holly
(1860's ?), near Holly
A settlers' fort located east of town just inside the state border.

Camp Thompson
(1863), Kiowa County ?
A CO Cavalry (1st Regiment, Company F) camp (April 1863) reportedly located 180 miles southeast of Camp Weld (Denver) along the route to Old Fort Lyon. Exact location undetermined.

Post at Cheyenne Wells
(1860's), Cheyenne Wells
A CO Cavalry (10th Regiment, Company C) detachment post at or near the Smoky Hill Trail stage station (1859) six miles north of the present-day town. A fort was later built near a cave, and the cave itself was later used as a store and trading post.

Fort Big Spring
(1858 - 1870), near Kit Carson
A CO Cavalry camp located on Big Spring Creek about 12 miles north of town.

Post at Kit Carson
(1872), Kit Carson
A Regular Army post for 100 men was proposed to be located here in March 1872.

Camp Downing
(1862), near Colorado City
A CO Cavalry post (March 1862) located on Mud (Muddy) Creek north of Greenhorn Ranch.

Beaubois Fort
(1862 - 1864 or 1865), Huerfano County
A settler fort in the Butte Valley settlement located one-fourth mile northwest of Huerfano Butte. Presumed site has been obliterated by the I-25 highway right-of-way.

Fort Talpa
(1820 - 1821), Farisita
A short-lived Spanish adobe outpost in Huerfano Canyon.

Fort at Sangre de Cristo Pass
(1819 - 1820), near La Veta
A triangular stone-walled Spanish military post located at the foot of the last ascent to Sangre de Cristo (La Veta) Pass, on a hill overlooking Oak Creek and the valley of the Taos Trail, about 1.8 miles north of the pass (about 25 miles west of Walsenburg), built to defend this important section of the Taos Trail against a possible American invasion of New Mexico and the upper Rio Grande valley. The official Spanish name of the military post is unknown. American traders and trappers knew this fort simply as Spanish Fort. A local legend states that about a half-dozen men of the garrison were massacred in 1820 by white men disguised as Indians. Sangre de Cristo Pass is little used today, replaced by the North La Veta Pass which is used by Highway US 160.

Fort Francisco
(1862 - 1866), La Veta
A settler's (Col. John Francisco) adobe compound at the Cucharas Ranch, also known as Francisco Plaza. It was a one-story structure enclosing three sides of a 100-foot square. It later became the local Denver and Rio Grande Railroad terminal after the branch line was built (circa 1876). Col. Francisco was formerly the Post Suttler at Fort Garland (from 1858) before he moved here in 1862. The restored compound is now the Fort Francisco Museum (admission fee).

Walsenburg Fort
(1860's), Walsenburg
A German settlers' fort built for protection against Indians, located on Cucharas Creek.

Camp Walsenburg
(1913), Walsenburg
A CO National Guard (Cavalry) camp for protection from mine strikers.

Tom Sharp's Trading Fort / Post
(1870), Huerfano County
A log trading post located on the Taos Trail about one mile southeast of Malachite (location ?).

Fort Stevens
(1866), near Aguilar
A U.S. Army post located on the Apishapa River that lasted only about a month (September-October 1866). It was to be garrisoned by the U.S. 3rd Cavalry, Company G, and Companies F and H of the 57th Colored Infantry. It was never completed before it was attacked by Utes at the end of September 1866 and then ordered to be abandoned.

Camp Berwind
(1904, 1913), near Aguilar
A CO National Guard camp located in Berwind Canyon one mile from Ludlow during a coal mine strike.

Camp Ludlow
(1913), near Aguilar
A CO National Guard camp located at or near Ludlow during a coal mine strike.

Gray's Ranch
(1864, 1904), near Trinidad
A fortified stage station, operated by John (or James ?) Gray, about four miles northeast of town along the Purgatoire River and the modern railroad line.

The Colorado National Guard was also reportedly encamped here in 1904.

Fort (El) Moro
(1876), near Trinidad
A settlers' fort located on the west side of the Purgatoire River about four miles northeast of town.

Post at Trinidad (1)
(1868), Trinidad
A U.S. Army garrison post.

Camp Trinidad (2)
(1913, 1917), Trinidad
A CO National Guard training and/or mobilization encampment (Companies G and H). Location undetermined.

Camp Engleville
(1904), near Trinidad
A CO National Guard encampment to protect the coal mines and miners during a miners' strike.

Camp Hastings
(1904), near Trinidad
A CO National Guard encampment to protect the coal mines and miners during a miners' strike.

Madrid Plaza
(1864), near Trinidad
A settlers' adobe compound located at Tijeras, on the Purgatoire River west of town.

Camp Sopris (2)
(1904), near Trinidad
A CO National Guard camp to protect the mines, miners, and their families against striking coal miners. Located west of town.

Camp Segundo
(1904), near Trinidad
A CO National Guard encampment to protect the coal mines and miners during a miners' strike. Located west of town.

Camp Starkville
(1904), Starkville
A CO National Guard camp to protect the coal mines and miners during a miners' strike.

Camp Johnson
(1936), near Starkville
A CO National Guard camp located on the north side of Raton Pass.

Camp Pleasant Valley
(1862), Las Animas County
A CO Cavalry (1st Regiment, Companies C, D, and E) camp (July-August 1862) located on the Purgatoire River roughly halfway between Old Fort Lyon and Fort Union, NM. Reportedly located 118 miles from Camp Clark, and 130 miles from Fort Union.

Camp on Rio Las Animas
(1862), Las Animas County ?
A CO Cavalry (2nd Regiment, Companies D and F) camp (September-October 1862). Unknown location. "Rio Las Animas" was an early and alternate name of the Purgatoire River, but this camp could have actually been located on the Animas River (Rio de las Animas Perdidas) in La Plata County in western Colorado.


NEED MORE INFO: Colorado Cavalry camps (undetermined/unknown locations): Camp Brown (March 1863) (1st Reg. Co. C) on the Arkansas River; Camp Splitrock (July 1863) (1st Reg. Co. I); Camp Tappan (Dec. 1862) (1st Reg. Co. D) on the Arkansas River.

Northeastern Colorado - page 1 | Western Colorado - page 2

QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com