Fort Alma |
Camp Beaver |
Post of Beaver Canyon |
Post near Beaver City |
Bluff Fort | Buttermilk Fort | Fort Cameron | Fort Cedar (1) | Cedar Springs Fort | Fort Clara
Camp Clarke | Cove Fort | Camp Crossman | Fort Crossman | Fort Deseret | Dewey's Camp
Camp Eastman | Elk Mountain Mission | Fort Ephraim | Fairview Fort | Camp at Fillmore
Fillmore Fort | Camp Fountain Green | Fountain Green Fort | Camp George | Gunnison Fort
Hamilton Fort | Harmony Fort (1) | Fort Harmony (2) | Johnson's Fort | Fort Kanab
Fort Kanarra | Fort Manti | Fort Meeks | Fort Moab | Fort Montezuma | Fort Moqui
Moroni Fort | Mount Pleasant Fort | Navajo Res. Trading Posts | Nephi Fort
New Harmony Fort | Fort Omni | Camp Pace | Camp Paige | Panguitch Fort | Paragonah Fort
Parowan Fort | Fort Pearce | Fort Pierce | Salina Fort | Salt Creek Fort | Fort Santa Clara
Camp Sevier | Fort Sidon | Spring City Fort | Fort Wahweep | Fort Wah-Wiep | Fort Walker
Northern Utah - page 1
FORT WIKI - UTAH
(1853 - 1860), Nephi
A fortified Mormon town, completed in 1854. Also known as Salt Creek Fort, as the settlement was then known at the time. The stone and adobe walls were 12-feet high and surrounded by a moat or ditch. The fort encompassed nine blocks (59 acres) from present-day 200 East to 100 West Streets and from 100 North to 200 South Streets. The original four corners of the fort are marked with concrete obelisks (replaced in 2006). Several of the original buildings still remain in town. A small fragment of the original adobe wall was saved and moved to the Nephi City Park in 1933, dedicated with a 1934 Daughters of Utah Pioneers plaque.
(1858), near Nephi
A temporary U.S. Army post located six miles west of town. Also referred to in some sources as Fort Crossman.
(1859), near Levan ?
A U.S. Army encampment located on Chicken Creek about 14 miles south of Nephi. Served as a base to observe Ute Indian movements, and to protect the government livestock herds.
(1859), San Pete Valley
A temporary U.S. Army post. Exact location undetermined.
Camp Fountain Green
(1866), Fountain Green
A temporary Mormon Militia camp during the Ute Blackhawk War. A 1976 stone monument at the 1906 Tithing Office on West Center Street at North State Street mentions a "rock fort" was built by the settlers in the fall of 1866. See also Fountain Green at Jacob Barlow.com
(1859), near Moroni (?)
A temporary U.S. Army post in the San Pete Valley, south (?) of Camp Clarke. Exact location undetermined, reportedly about 15 miles north of Fort Ephraim and 22 miles north of Manti, and about 8 miles southwest of Hamilton.
(1865 - unknown), Moroni
A Mormon settlers' 13-acre adobe and stone-walled fort which included a separate stone observation tower (aka "bastion") outside the fort's walls. A 1951 stone monument is located at 80 South 200 West Street.
(1866), near Fairview
A Mormon Militia encampment.
(1860 - unknown), Fairview
A Mormon settlers' rock-walled town fort, the back side of several log cabins forming the fourth wall. A 1956 stone monument that mentions the fort is located adjacent to the city hall at 85 South State Street.
Mount Pleasant Fort
(1859 - 1860's), Mount Pleasant
A Mormon settlers' five and one-half-acre rock-walled fort encompassing today's Tithing Yard, between Main Street and First North and State Street and First East, with a bastion or watchtower in one corner. A second fortified enclosure directly north was added in 1865 to help protect the livestock. The walls were demolished beginning in 1878. Markers at site on the grounds of the Mount Pleasant Recreation Center at 10 State Street.
Spring City Fort
(1853 - 1854), Spring City
A Mormon settlers' log fort. Attacked by Indians in January 1854, the settlers sought refuge at Fort Manti. The settlers did not return until 1859 to permanently establish the present town. A 1950 stone monument, located on West 100 North Street just west of North Main Street, mentions the early settlers and fort.
(1854 - 1868), Ephraim
A Mormon settlers' one and one-half acre adobe-walled fort. One year later a 17-acre adobe fort was built which completely enclosed the original fort. At that time the inner fort was then called Little Fort and the outer fort called Large Fort. A 1956 stone monument for the "Old Fort" is located near the original site. A related marker for the "1868 Fort Ephraim Peace Treaty" (1982) is located in Ephraim Pioneer Park on West 100 North Street.
A Nevada Volunteers encampment.
(1854 - 1868), Manti
A Mormon settlers' stone and adobe-walled fort (aka Big Fort) (nine city blocks or 58 acres) built after the Walker War, that absorbed and replaced the Little Stone Fort that was originally built here in 1852, and the second Log Fort from 1853 that covered about one block, the walls of the cabins formed part of the fort walls and had four guard towers. The Little Fort was located in the northwest quarter of block 64, the foundation was three feet wide and made of stone and the walls were 12 feet high and two feet wide. The 1853 Nathaniel Beach Pioneer Memorial Cabin was once located within the second fort, but was later moved to North 100 West and West 300 North Street, where it became in 1925 the Relic Hall for Manti Camp, Daughters of Utah Pioneers. A fourth fort (Tabernacle Fort) was built in 1866 during the Ute Black Hawk War to protect the church buildings. Markers and stone monuments to these forts are located on the grounds of the 1905 Bishop's Storehouse at 100 North Main Street; the 1910 Carnegie Library at 2 South Main Street; and the 1935 Sanpete County Courthouse at 160 North Main Street.
(1861 - 1867 ?), Gunnison
A Mormon settlers' adobe-walled fort covering a four-block square running west and south from the Gunnison Ward chapel and Washington School block. A stone bastion was added by the Mormon Militia under General Pace in 1865 - 1867 during the Ute Blackhawk War, but the replacement stone walls for the main fort were never completed. The nearby militia encampment for 1500 men was known as Camp Pace. A 1947 stone monument is located in Gunnison Park on Main Street between West 300 North and West 200 North Streets.
(State Historic Site)
(1865 - unknown), near Deseret
A Mormon settlers' 550-foot square (6.3 acres) adobe-walled fort, completed in only 18 days by 98 men. Bastions were located in the northeast and southwest corners, with gates in the middle of each side wall. Some of the adobe walls still stand. Located 1.6 miles west of town. A 1937 stone monument is located on site. PHOTOS at Jacob Barlow.com
See also GhostTowns.com || Great Basin National Heritage Area
(1853 - unknown), Holden
A Mormon settlers' 150-feet by 75-feet adobe-walled fort with two rows of houses facing each other about 30 feet apart. Also known as Cedar Springs Fort. The town was originally named Buttermilk Springs until renamed in 1869. A 1935 stone monument is located at 100 North Street and North 100 East Street.
(1851 - unknown), Fillmore
A Mormon settlers' rock and adobe-walled fort about two city blocks in size. The walls were used as the back walls of the houses. A mail station, school, church, gardens and a corral were within the compound. Chalk Creek flowed through the fort under the walls. A 1935 stone monument is located at Center and Main Streets.
Camp at Fillmore
A temporary U.S. Army post to protect the then Territorial capital.
(1867 - 1890), Cove Fort
First located here was Charles Willden's Fort (1860 - 1865), an adobe house and corral enclosed in a 150-foot square cedar log stockade. During the winter of 1861 the adobe house still had no window coverings, so the Willden's built a simple dugout cabin with three rooms. The compound was sold to the Mormons in 1866 to provide protection to the builders of the new fortified settlement at Cove Fort.
The 100-foot square (0.25 acre) enclosure of Cove Fort was built of local black lava rock, with walls 18 feet high and four feet thick, and 12 rooms of the same volcanic rock built against the walls. The fort was used to guard the stage and telegraph lines. The fort was later sold (1903 ?) and used as a tourist camp. Completely restored and dedicated as a historic site in 1992. A 1935 stone monument is nearby. See also Great Basin National Heritage Area
PHOTOS at Jacob Barlow.com
(1865 - unknown), Salina
A Mormon settlers' rock-walled fort 214 feet square (1.05 acres), walls 10 feet high, and bastions 10 feet square at each corner. An original stone building from the fort was later used as the Relic Hall of Old Fort Camp, Daughters of Utah Pioneers (1930's). A 1938 stone monument is located on South 100 East at East 100 South Streets, on the grounds of the Salina Mormon LDS Church.
(1865 - unknown), Richfield
A Mormon settlers' stone-walled fort. A 1965 stone monument is located near the Richfield Utah Family History Center on West 100 South Street.
(1864 - 1867), Monroe
A Mormon settlers' fort. A 1937 stone monument is located at North 100 West and West 200 North Streets.
A temporary U.S. Army post.
(1872 - 1883), Beaver
A U.S. Army post located on the north side of the Beaver River, two miles east of town. First known as Camp Beaver, Post of Beaver Canyon, and Post near Beaver City, then officially named in 1874. Built of local lava stone in a 700 by 620-foot rectangle. Sold to the Mormons and later became the Murdock Academy (1898 - 1922). Two original buildings still remain and the rest of the site is now used as a race course and golf course. A 1936 stone monument is located on North Main Street at 200 North Street.
(1855 - 1879), Paragonah
A Mormon settlers' adobe-walled fort 105 feet square (0.25 acre). Homes were built along the inside of the walls. The present public square was the center of the former fort, which was demolished in 1879. A 1936 stone monument is located there, on Main Street between Center Street and 100 North Street.
(1851 - 1860's), Parowan
A Mormon settlers' log stockade that was later fully transformed into an adobe-walled fort 120 rods square (nine city blocks or 85 acres) by 1855. The walls lasted into the 20th century. The 1851 George Wood log cabin was originally built here, but was later moved to the fort in Cedar City, where it still exists today (at Frontier Homestead State Park since 1983) (see below). A 2010 stone monument marks the southwest corner of the fort site (200 West and 200 South). Other corners are marked at 100 North and 200 West (NW corner), Pioneer Avenue and 100 East (NE corner), and 100 East and 200 South (SE corner).
(1864 - 1867), Panguitch
A Mormon settlers' log fort. A 1940 stone monument is located at the Panguitch Library on Center Street at South 200 East Street.
Joel Johnson's Fort
(1854 - unknown), Enoch
A Mormon settlers' 165-foot square (0.625 acre) adobe-walled fort, with a two-story bastion in the southeast corner. The town was originally named Johnson Springs until renamed in 1890. A marker is located on Jones Lane just west of Tomahawk Drive, about one-half mile south of the actual fort site.
Fort Cedar (1)
(1853 - unknown), Cedar City
A Mormon settlers' fort about 100 rods square (63 acres) with walls nine feet high. A 1956 stone monument (rebuilt 1992) is located at the Fort Cedar Commerce Center on West Industrial Road, just off I-15. The 1851 George Wood Pioneer Cabin was originally located at the fort in Parowan, but was later moved by Wood to the fort here, then to Wood's lot on North Main Street. It was moved to Cedar City Park in 1927 by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers and put on public display. It was later moved again in 1983 to the Iron Mission / Frontier Homestead State Park for restoration, located at 635 North Main Street.
A log stockade was built nearby earlier in November 1851 by a party of Mormons to protect their iron ore exploration encampment through the winter (First Cedar Encampment). They later moved to the site of the new fort (above) in 1852. A 1981 stone monument is located in a business parking lot on the east side of North Main Street (UT 130) near West 1325 North Street.
(1855 - 1870's), Hamilton Fort
A Mormon settlers' adobe fort for three families located on Sidon Creek, covering 95 square feet, with the houses forming part of the outer walls. The town was named Sidon from 1857 to 1869, and possibly the fort was also known as Fort Sidon during that time. The fort/settlement was relocated in 1869 to be closer to the main road to Cedar City. A 1965 stone monument is located on West 2700 South, just east of South Westview Drive.
(1852 - 1853), near Cedar City
A Mormon settlers' fort located five miles south of town. Possibly the same as Fort Sidon/Hamilton (above).
A Mormon settlers' fort on Kanarra Creek located about one mile southwest of Old Kanarra (1861 - 1866). The present townsite was surveyed in 1866. A stone monument marks the fort site.
Fort Harmony (2)
(1852 - 1853, 1854 - 1862), New Harmony
A Mormon settlers' fort on Ash Creek that was abandoned shortly after being built (Harmony Fort (1)). It was re-established two years later a few miles further upstream, but a rainstorm later flooded out the town in January 1862 and compromised the adobe walls and houses. The settlers then established the new fortified town at the head of Ash Creek, about four miles northwest, known as New Harmony Fort (1863). The site of the old fort was transferred to the county in 2006, where excavations and restoration efforts are underway. A 1936 stone monument is located at the site.
PHOTOS at Jacob Barlow.com
Located nearby just off UT 144, just north of the New Harmony Cemetery, is the 1867 Military Training Campsite stone monument (1940) where the Iron County Division of the Mormon Militia prepared for the Ute Blackhawk War.
Fort Pearce (Historic Site)
(1866 - 1873), near St. George
A Mormon Militia stone fort built during the Ute Black Hawk War, but was never completed. Often misspelled as Pierce. The site, currently consisting of a single remaining stone building, is located 12 miles south of town, maintained by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.
Fort Santa Clara
(1855 - 1862), Santa Clara
A Mormon settlers' 100-foot square adobe and/or stone fort. Also referred to as Fort Clara in some sources. Destroyed by a washout flood in January 1862.
(1864 - 1866), Glendale
A Mormon settlers' fort composed of several log cabins built into a square enclosure. Abandoned in 1866 after some settlers were killed by Indians. The town was originally known as Berryville until resettled and renamed in 1871. An interpretive panel on the local history (and which mentions the fort) is located at the Shingle Creek Rest Area on US 89 near Stout Canyon.
(1865 - 1870), Kanab
A Mormon settlers' 112-foot square fort with about a dozen or so log cabins arranged on three sides closed off by log pickets on the fourth side, and also enclosing a stone building. It was briefly abandoned after 1866. It was partially destroyed in an accidental kerosene explosion in December 1870. Located on the northwest side of town in Levi Stewart Memorial Park on US 89, a 1950 stone monument marks the site.
(1869 - 1870), near Old Paria
A Mormon settler's stone house (1865) was once here on Paria Creek, about four miles below town, located about 35 miles northeast of Kanab. The Mormon Militia later built a stone fort next to it to protect the area from Ute Indians. The town's name was originally spelled Pahreah. It was resettled about four miles upstream in 1870. A 1997 stone monument located at the old townsite just off US 89 describes the old settlement, but not the fort.
(1869 - 1870), near Big Water
A Mormon Militia stone fort was once located north of Lee's Ferry, Arizona. Also spelled Wahweep.
(The Hole in the Rock Foundation)
(1880 - 1883), Bluff
A Mormon settlers' fort, comprised of 40-50 small one-room log cabins erected in a square formation for defense. The original settlement lasted for a few decades before it was replaced by more permanent structures. The original Barton Cabin was restored in October 2008. Several other cabins are replicas.
PHOTOS at Jacob Barlow.com
(1879 - 1884), Montezuma Creek
A stone fort erected by Mormon settlers. Destroyed by a flood in 1884. A Navajo trading post was built here later. Interpretive markers are located at Bluff Fort Historic Site.
Navajo Reservation Trading Posts
(unknown dates), various locations
Piute Farms (near San Juan River NW of Gouldings),
Navajo Mountain (on state line SE of Rainbow Bridge Nat. Mon.),
Oljato (on state line east of Gouldings),
Goulding (at Gouldings),
Montezuma Creek (at Montezuma Creek),
Hatch (NE of Montezuma Creek).
(Glen Canyon National Recreation Area)
(c. 1100's), near Hite
A 12th-century Anasazi stone ruin located along the eastern bank of the Colorado River, about 12-15 miles south of town, west of the old townsite of White Canyon. Submerged under Lake Powell since 1963, the ruins were uncovered by a severe drought in March 2005.
About 40-50 miles to the south, below Warm Springs Canyon, is Defiance House, a 13th-century (c. 1200's) Anasazi stone structure.
A Mormon settlers' stone fort 64 feet square, with walls 12 feet high. Also known as Elk Mountain Mission. Built in July 1855, but abandoned in September after repeated Indian attacks. The area wasn't resettled for another 20 years. Three of the pioneers, James. W. Hunt, Edward Edwards, and William Behunin were buried within the fort which was located about 800 feet from the 1940 stone monument, which is located in the parking lot/plaza at the southern end of North 200 East Street, behind the Moab City Recreation Center at 217 East Center Street.
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com