click thumbnail image for larger view
|An overall view of Battery Farnsworth, looking east from the top of Jordans Rock.
Compare to 1898 Photo and 1915 Photo
|The rear alleyway behind the battery, looking west towards Jordans Rock.|
|The rear of gun position #1.|
|The entrances to the shot gallery under gun position #1.|
|The gun well of gun position #1.|
|The gun well of gun position #2.|
|The 1942 Mine Observation Station built on gun position #1.|
|Another view of the Mine Station.|
|The Mine Station above the shot gallery.|
|The original wooden stairs inside the Mine Station.|
|A guard rail at the top floor. Note the remnants of the wooden trap door with intact hinges.|
|An azimuth instrument stand on the observation deck of the Mine Station.|
|A concrete base for a Depression Position Finding (DPF) instrument stand.
GPS Mine OP (OC2234) - N 43° 04.220 W 070° 42.749 (NAD 83)
|A mounting for a Rafferty Type B DPF instrument, located forward of the gun #1 battery commander's crow's nest.|
|The 1920 electric powerplant building, used for supplying power to the (new) Mine Casemate built nearby.|
|The generator room of the powerplant building.|
|Concrete platforms for the generator radiators.|
|The central traverse of the battery above the powerplant building, showing the scarring of the earthen cover that was removed.
Note the old wooden sign placard still attached to the wall.
|A new battery signpost erected over the traverse.
2007 photo courtesy of Rich Rouleau and the University of New Hampshire
|The entrance to the interior magazine of gun position #2.|
|The entrance to the interior magazine of gun position #1.|
|An interior corridor of the battery.|
|One of the shell rooms.|
|The other shell room.|
|An airshaft, or ventilation hole, manually cut out in an attempt to eliminate or reduce the constant wetness in the magazines.
Located in the powder room for gun #1.
|Another airshaft, located in the powder room for gun #2.|
|Another such vent hole found in the magazines.|
|The shot gallery looking toward the ammunition hoist shaft.|
|Looking down to the bottom of the ammunition hoist shaft from the loading platform of gun position #1, which is now located within the lower level of the 1942 Mine Observation Station.|
|The bottom of the ammunition hoist shaft at gun position #2.|
|The bottom connector plates for the hand-powered winch on the ammunition hoist mechanism.|
|The top connector plates for the ammunition hoist winch cables.|
|The top of the ammunition hoist shaft at the loading platform for gun #2. The cable pulleys are still intact.|
|The entrance to the (old) Mine Casemate, located on the east flank of the battery.|
|The interior of the (old) Mine Casemate.|
|The cable tunnel underneath the (old) Mine Casemate. Electric cables leading from the control apparatus in the casemate were fed through here out into the harbor to the mines.|